Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2006, 18:36   #1
Senior - BHPian

The Fiat Linea-Is this the saloon that's coming to India?

It's 4.56 metres long and 1.73m wide and will come with a choice of petrol and diesel engines, manual transmission and features usually found in higher segment vehicles.

It is going to be shown at a Turkish motor show.According to Autocar India this car will be coming to India priced between 7.5 to 9 Lacs.Autocar showed a spy image.This is the first official picture of the car.It sure does look hot and with a 1.9L Multijet it will have the performance too.So what do u you guys think?

Source:www.autocar.co.uk

Last edited by merve_extreme : 20th October 2006 at 18:47.
Old 20th October 2006, 19:28   #2
BHPian

Drooool,drooool,drooool and some more drool!
fresh & hot looking Punto sedan coming to India.....but when??Not before 2008 I presume.Most likely we would be getting the Palio 1.3 JTD,then the Grande Punto & then this baby.
Who knows,maybe Fiat launch this before the Punto.
But it sure looks perfect the way it is in this picture.It will even better in the flesh,certainly better than the Fiesta,NHC and the Aveo's of this world.Great find Merve.

Last edited by roms : 20th October 2006 at 19:32.
Old 20th October 2006, 19:47   #3
BHPian

I think this is a grande punto based saloon and may come into india however I am wondering whether which category it would fit into its length is 4.6 m thus it would compete with the d-segment cars like the corolla,civic etc but punto being based like the optra it could also compete with the honda city abeilt with 1.6 unit and a bigger engined one would compete withthe civics and the corollas.a 1.9 multijet could extinguish the octavia considering that the skoda is also not known for very good after sales and it could also match it on build quality.This could be intersting if fiat dares bring this in india.
This what car uk says about it and it also somewhat confirms my apprehensions
"The Linea is a new 4.6m-long saloon, a size pegged between the Focus and current Mondeo. Its generous wheelbase, only 150mm shorter than a Mondeo's, should guarantee decent legroom for rear passengers. A big boot can accommodate 500 litres of luggage.

Despite its size and upmarket look, the Linea will be pitched against C-segment saloons such as the Focus and Megane. It's spun off the Grande Punto's platform, with a half metre stretch from the extended wheelbase and additional boot. The Linea is not currently planned for UK sale; instead the Turkish built car will head for markets such as China and South Africa, although some southern European markets will take the saloon."
Old 20th October 2006, 19:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

It's comming in 2007 acc to autocar.maybe end 2007.
Old 20th October 2006, 19:55   #5
BHPian

Fiat should lanuch it as early as possbile. It will be the competetor of Korean Hyundai. And since it is a Fiat, driving pleasure will be more than the TDCI Fiesta and CRDI Verna.
Old 20th October 2006, 23:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

I wonder if this is a sedan version of the Grande Punto.

TATA urgently needs a sedan bigger than the INDIGO to compete with the fast growing C/D segment.
Old 21st October 2006, 00:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

The profile - especially the greenhouse, wheelarches and the rear - looks exactly like the previous gen VW Passat.

Yes Tata Motors needs models in the C+ and D- categories. If this 'arrangement' is to make any sense they will get Fiat models into this space instead of developing something from scratch as their development seems to take ages.
Old 21st October 2006, 00:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

One thing is for sure next two years would be an automobile revolution in India with most manufacturers gearing up for new launches.

It seems right now isn't the best time to buy a new car in the Indian market.
Old 21st October 2006, 00:43   #9
BHPian

To me the side profile looks a lot like a Dodge Stratus / Chrysler Sebring. A 1.9 JTDi would surely rock if we have a fully loaded one at around 9 lacs.
Old 21st October 2006, 01:38   #10

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

fiat sure does make very good looking cars...thats an absolut stunner and at that price its gonna knock its rivals dead.
Old 21st October 2006, 09:49   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
I wonder if this is a sedan version of the Grande Punto
the front end looks exactly like the punto - the headlights, the wide front grill, etc from the A-Pillar onwards........dont it???
Old 21st October 2006, 09:54   #12
Senior - BHPian

yes its based on the grande punto platform,an extended one at that.but if you see the car is a new design with the nose of the punto.it is not like a cut-paste version of the hatchback,this is a properly designed and proportional looking sedan.

Last edited by merve_extreme : 21st October 2006 at 09:57.
Old 21st October 2006, 12:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

Like someone had already pointed out , the greenhouse looks a la-audi/passat. Any way looks really great. Those alloys are really gelling with the overall design theme. But before they launch this , they need to make sure they get their service/sales act right . This car can really change the way people see Fiat, I feel it has a sort of Maseratti-ish front....near perfect proportions.....nice flowing lines...1.9JTD , what more can we expect for 9 lacs. It will surely give Skoda a really tough competition....
Old 21st October 2006, 12:18   #14
Senior - BHPian

Thats a stunner no doubt. If the Tata's back this one to the hilt, it could be a Fiat revolution. I might exchange my Petra for this one. LOL
Old 21st October 2006, 13:11   #15
Senior - BHPian

SPY PHOTOS: Fiat Punto Sedan

SPY PHOTOS: Fiat Punto Sedan

http://www.worldcarfans.com/spyphoto...at-punto-sedan

Source:
http://www.worldcarfans.com/rsslink....at-punto-sedan
Closed Thread

Most Viewed