Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2008, 20:13   #166
BHPian

Catch the video pf arctic circle test at Winter test for Fiat's Linea, Punto at Arjeplog: IBNLive.com > Videos
Old 1st April 2008, 20:48   #167
Senior - BHPian

Seems like we ll mostly get the Linea with 1.3 MJD 90 BHP !
It might be underpowered for its size IMO!
Old 1st April 2008, 21:32   #168
BHPian

Quote:
The article is available on BSMotoring's website at:

Top Story - Frozen in time - Business Standard Motoring

and yes, it's in Sweden...
shall plan to visit lapland this summer.

also planning to visit the Volvo museum this weekend at Gotebörg, which has a wonderful collection of its 70 year old machines.
Old 2nd April 2008, 10:05   #169
BHPian

Another article on BSM site posted :

Quote:
The world premiere of the Fiat Linea was held in Istanbul. We were there
Top Story - The Istanbul brief - Business Standard Motoring
Old 2nd April 2008, 10:45   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Seems like we ll mostly get the Linea with 1.3 MJD 90 BHP
Verna-D then rules with its 110 bhp motor. Still Linea may have an edge if it comes with its semi -auto tranny. In real life a difference in BHP doesnt matter much until certain speeds( which are high enough for normal drive) and torque too is expected to be respectable enough to make much difference either. But what will comepnsate the After Sales support?
Old 2nd April 2008, 11:14   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Seems like we ll mostly get the Linea with 1.3 MJD 90 BHP !
There has been a lot of talk about how the 1.3L 90bhp MJD will be underpowered for the Linea.

Lets take a look at the specs compared to the Octavia.

Fiat Linea 1.3MJD: 90bhp @ 4000rpm , 200Nm@1750rpm , Kerb Weight: 1160-1185kgs. , 0-100kmph in 13.8 seconds , top speed: 170kmph

Source: Fiat Linea Specs

Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi: 90bhp@4000rpm , 210Nm@1900rpm , Kerb Weight: 1330kgs. , 0-100kmph in 13.2 seconds, top speed: 182kmph

Source: Skoda Octavia Specs.

Both cars are similarly powered but the Linea is a lot less lighter then the Octavia. Why are we jumping the gun and judging that the car will be underpowered even before any of us have even seen it?

Last edited by amit : 2nd April 2008 at 11:16.
Old 2nd April 2008, 11:24   #172
BHPian

Well then for the time being the Optra Magnum rules. For all those who want a drivers car in the 8-10L bracket and runs on diesel - Magnum is the one!
Old 2nd April 2008, 11:33   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Both cars are similarly powered but the Linea is a lot less lighter then the Octavia. Why are we jumping the gun and judging that the car will be underpowered even before any of us have even seen it?
I agree that both cars have similar specifications. What matters most is how good he gear ratios are. I too was of the view that 90 horses might be a tad too low for Linea, but those 75 horses I found in Suzuki Dzire (no, I do not desire this vehicle) yesterday have made me think otherwise.

Fiat has a history of doing badly when it comes to offering good gear ratios. My Palio 1.2 NV is a good example of that. That huge difference between the first and the second gears made me climb the entire 36 hairpin bends to Ooty in first gear. But, I need to add that that was my first trip in the ghats. I am planning to do Ooty again and I will see if I can do any better this time.
Old 2nd April 2008, 12:26   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
My Palio 1.2 NV is a good example of that. That huge difference between the first and the second gears made me climb the entire 36 hairpin bends to Ooty in first gear. But, I need to add that that was my first trip in the ghats. I am planning to do Ooty again and I will see if I can do any better this time.
He he he. I too did the entire 36 hairpin bends on 1st gear! Btw, the 2nd gear felt like overdrive !!!

I tried the same on a Scorpio CRDe. Guess what? 1st gear again!!! The turbo kicks in too late and so you can't go slow over these curves. Of course, you can press the clutch and get the revs up to wake up the TC and then continue to retain the momentum. However you can't just go slow hoping the low end torque would rescue you. Btw, the Scorpio was heavily loaded. So we continued to use a bit of momentum to climb up the hill but guess what? The Scorpio started losing grip on the rear tyres! We were simply sliding over the hairpins
Old 2nd April 2008, 12:49   #175
Senior - BHPian

Deepak, you need to test drive Palio MJD as well....!
Old 2nd April 2008, 13:09   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Deepak, you need to test drive Palio MJD as well....!
I would love to! I will try it over the weekend.
Old 2nd April 2008, 14:40   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushanthr77 View Post
He he he. I too did the entire 36 hairpin bends on 1st gear! Btw, the 2nd gear felt like overdrive !!!

I tried the same on a Scorpio CRDe. Guess what? 1st gear again!!! The turbo kicks in too late and so you can't go slow over these curves. Of course, you can press the clutch and get the revs up to wake up the TC and then continue to retain the momentum. However you can't just go slow hoping the low end torque would rescue you. Btw, the Scorpio was heavily loaded. So we continued to use a bit of momentum to climb up the hill but guess what? The Scorpio started losing grip on the rear tyres! We were simply sliding over the hairpins
But for me it was 20/36 in INNOVA. We cant blame the vehicles.... the curves are so challenging especially even for the powerful oil burners since at most times the rpms will be so low to produce some meaty BHP. And for the petrol ones...its the inherent low torque.

BTW.... is there any test reports available for the 1.6 MJD 120 bhp in Linea?

Last edited by shineshine : 2nd April 2008 at 14:43.
Old 2nd April 2008, 14:52   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
Fiat has a history of doing badly when it comes to offering good gear ratios.
I have to humbly disagree. I have driven my Palio 1.9D and a family owned Siena 1.6TD on ghats (Charmadi ghat and Shiradi ghat). Dunno how it compares with the ghats to Ooty, but I dont think its a problem with the gear ratios at all. Most hairpin bends require you to shift to 1st anyway, but you can immediatly shift to 2nd after hairpins without any issue. And its not every day that you drive around a hairpin bend.

Fiat 1.9 D had the best gear ratio for city driving, but you feel the need for a 6th gear on highways.
Old 2nd April 2008, 14:59   #179
Team-BHP Support

@ Spadival, I think you meant Siena 1.7TD? Do you still have it and is it for sale?

BTW, Fiats have always had short ratio gear boxes. The need to constantly shift is my idea of fun than a car that does 100 in second. I am in love with my Palio's gear box. One shift down while cruising and you are right there in the power band.
Old 2nd April 2008, 15:06   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
@ Spadival, I think you meant Siena 1.7TD? Do you still have it and is it for sale?
OT: Sold after 1.5 lakh kms. Now my uncle have a Logan instead
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks