Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2008, 19:38   #211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Bijoy Kumar from BS Motoring is back after attending Linea premier at Istanbul.
Actually the date on the article on BS Motoring is misleading, probably it was put up there again since the launch date in India is nearing. The Linea was launched in Turkey last year (I didn't know, but I googled), and since then we have heard that we might be getting the NA version of the same 1.4, which puts out just 77 horses.

So unless the pricing of the petrol version is absolutely spot on, I don't see the petrol version making an impact in India
Old 8th April 2008, 11:42   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaserQ View Post
If the above were true, then what are the chances that the 1.4 petrol would make its way into the new Indica/Indigo..purely speculative, but not impossible.
FIRE 1.2 petrol with variable geometry turbo is planned for the new Indica.
Check this:

Tata Motors - Media Centre

1.4 might probably be offered in the new Indigo.
Old 8th April 2008, 11:52   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
and since then we have heard that we might be getting the NA version of the same 1.4, which puts out just 77 horses.

So unless the pricing of the petrol version is absolutely spot on, I don't see the petrol version making an impact in India
Given that the new Indica will be offered with 1.2 VVT, it seems unlikely that Linea 1.4 will not get a turbo.
Old 8th April 2008, 12:05   #214
BHPian

Quote:
FIRE 1.2 petrol with variable geometry turbo is planned for the new Indica.
Check this:

Tata Motors - Media Centre

1.4 might probably be offered in the new Indigo.
Errr, I guess you mixed up VVT of Petrol and VGT of diesel, VVT is variable valve timing.
Old 8th April 2008, 12:20   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
Errr, I guess you mixed up VVT of Petrol and VGT of diesel, VVT is variable valve timing.
VVT also stands for variable vane turbo!
Dicor 2.2 is called VTT: Variable Turbine Technology.
But yes, you could be right.
This needs some checking up.

Last edited by directinjection : 8th April 2008 at 12:21.
Old 8th April 2008, 14:01   #216
BHPian

Quote:
VVT also stands for variable vane turbo!
Dicor 2.2 is called VTT: Variable Turbine Technology.
But yes, you could be right.
This needs some checking up.
You are correct, VVT could also be variable vane turbo

but from what I googled/wikied, they do not have an engine near to 1.2 L in their line up which is induction boosted.

From wiki I saw that the Linea is offered with 3 engine options only - all of them we know about no surprises

Fiat Linea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So I guess we just have to wait and watch
Old 8th April 2008, 14:40   #217
BHPian

Hi, just did some finding as i myself wanted to know VVT & VTT. Thought was worth sharing. May help
Courtesy Paul Tan's Automotive Industry News
cheers
cheers:

Variable Turbine Geometry
technology is the next generation in turbocharger technology where the turbo uses variable vanes to control flow against the turbine blades. See, the problem with the turbocharger that we’ve all come to know and love is that big turbos do not work well at slow engine speeds, while small turbos are fast to spool but run out of steam pretty quick. So how do VTG turbos solve this problem?

A Variable Turbine Geometry turbocharger is also known as a variable geometry turbocharger (VGT), or a Variable Nozzle Turbine (VNT). A turbocharger equipped with Variable Turbine Geometry has little movable vanes which can direct exhaust flow onto the turbine blades. The vane angles are adjusted via an actuator. The angle of the vanes vary throughout the engine RPM range to optimize turbine behaviour.
In the 3D illustration above, you can see the vanes in a angle which is almost closed. I have highlighted the variable vanes so you know which is which. This position is optimized for low engine RPM speeds, pre-boost.

In this cut-through diagram, you can see the direction of exhaust flow when the variable vanes are in an almost closed angle. The narrow passage of which the exhaust gas has to flow through accelerates the exhaust gas towards the turbine blades, making them spin faster. The angle of the vanes also directs the to hit the blades at the proper angle.

Above are how the VGT vanes look like when they are open. I’ve not highlighted where the vanes are in this image since you already know where they are, as to not spoil the mechanical beauty that it is

This cut-through diagram shows the exhaust gas flow when the variable turbine vanes are fully open. The high exhaust flow at high engine speeds are fully directed onto the turbine blades by the variable vanes.
Variable Turbine Geometry has been used extensively in turbodiesel engines since the 1990s, but it has never been on a production petrol turbocharged car before until the new Type 997 Porsche 911 Turbo. This is because exhaust gases are alot hotter than diesel engine exhaust gas, so generally the material used to make VTG turbos could not stand this heat. The 997 911 Turbo uses a BorgWarner VTG turbocharger which uses special materials derived from aerospace technology, hence solving the temperature problem.
I hope I have helped you understand how VTG works.
Old 8th April 2008, 17:28   #218

I think it will be vaiable valve timing for the engines. as it would be more logical to offer a better engine first. to add a turbo to it would be the second option and they may consider it for higher end models
Old 10th April 2008, 10:07   #219

Here is the detailed information about various engines coming on linea

italiaspeed.com: FIAT LINEA
Old 9th May 2008, 08:35   #220
BHPian

C&B Show on NDTV profit yesterday said Linea will come in India only next year and approx pricing 8-11 lacs. Has the launch been deferred??
Old 9th May 2008, 10:21   #221

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADMAX111 View Post
C&B Show on NDTV profit yesterday said Linea will come in India only next year and approx pricing 8-11 lacs. Has the launch been deferred??

I think the programme was a retelecast of the last years programme where they had reviewed linea during launch in turkey.

today's economic tmes has some news about the fiat launches

Fiat to revamp its image; gears up for new launches- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times
Old 20th May 2008, 12:44   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADMAX111 View Post
Just heard that Linea is scheduled to Launch in Sep 2008 with a price tag similar to those in the segment. The Linea is available in 1.4tjet too but is coming with 96 bhp.
Old 20th May 2008, 13:20   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapideffect View Post
Just heard that Linea is scheduled to Launch in Sep 2008 with a price tag similar to those in the segment. The Linea is available in 1.4tjet too but is coming with 96 bhp.
Could you disclose your source of info about sept launch ? Cos we have been hearing rumours about July- August '08 launch.
Old 20th May 2008, 13:42   #224
Senior - BHPian

rapid

do you mean 1.3 MJD ?
Old 20th May 2008, 13:46   #225
Senior - BHPian

Recently, in a newspaper report Fiat India CEO stated that Linea will be launched in Sep'2008!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks