Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2008, 13:19   #346
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
13L for a dualogic gear box top end. I'm expecting the price to be at least a lakh or two less than this though. But if they surprise me with higher price, this is the limit for me. Beyond this, I would rather look for something else.
13L should be pretty good. Anything above this and we can say bye bye Linea. In fact, I think even 13L is too much. This is civic territory.
Old 10th August 2008, 14:30   #347
BHPian

Opendro that should be the correct budget in mind for the 1.3 dualogic, If I convert that is the price which is charged in Germany hence I would expect the price to be a couple of thousands actually cheaper. The price, I feel, would also depend on the localization of parts, and to what extent they import some of the parts. Lets wait and watch what Fiat has in store for India

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
13L for a dualogic gear box top end. I'm expecting the price to be at least a lakh or two less than this though. But if they surprise me with higher price, this is the limit for me. Beyond this, I would rather look for something else.
Old 10th August 2008, 14:42   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipul_singh View Post
I am just amazed at the kind of interest the Linea is generating. I never expected this for a FIAT, given the condition the company is perceived to be in
Are you new to Team BHP? We usually have a few posts if the President/CEO of Fiat in India sends out an email or waves to the media.

Its a bit like the Safari boys these days - someone forgets to shut his windows fully and immediately creates a thread about a whistling noise from the front LHS.

Last edited by Steeroid : 10th August 2008 at 14:46.
Old 10th August 2008, 19:54   #349
BHPian

Ha ha! Very sharp observation Steeroid. You are right, I too have seen this before. And no, I am an old member, though I have been reading more than I have posted
Old 10th August 2008, 22:00   #350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
13L should be pretty good. Anything above this and we can say bye bye Linea. In fact, I think even 13L is too much. This is civic territory.
Actually the price I mentioned is for a fully loaded diesel Linea OTR price in Bangalore. Assuming petrol to be at least a lakh cheaper, i.e. at 12L, Civic is still 2 lakh costlier, that too without an automatic option. And Civic does not have features like HillHolder and Blue&Me. So, a Linea with equivalent specs of Civic (except for the engine) would still be 3 lakh cheaper than Civic even at the rate I mentioned. I would consider it good positioning.
Old 10th August 2008, 22:20   #351
BHPian

13 lakh for the Linea, even if it is better equipped than the Civic would be detrimental to the car's success. I think the Linea would need to be priced much more competitively than equivalent cars because of the public's lack of faith in FIAT (and trust me there are plenty of naysayers), and expected disadvantage in terms of service.

FIAT may look promising right now, with the impressive looking brand building exercise going on, but the company has a track record of leaving customers in the lurch when the going gets tough. Think of what happened when the Palio started suffering - sales wise.

My argument is that the Linea really needs to sell well for the owners to be cared for (in terms of service). And if it is badly priced, the ones who go for it despite the high price arlikely to suffer.
Old 25th September 2008, 14:29   #352
BHPian

I'm happy that Fiat did not launch Linea before all new Honda City. With the kind of specs of the new City, the price and the brand image Honda carries, Fiat is definitely going to give a serious thought on the pricing of Linea. Good for the buyers

Seriously thinking if I should switch to petrol after seeing the all New Honda City price and spec
Old 25th September 2008, 14:50   #353
BHPian

but the red GP in the link, a couple of pages back looks HOT.

About the Linea - I hope FIAT redeems itself with this one. till then lets just wait & watch.
Old 25th September 2008, 15:11   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
About the Linea - I hope FIAT redeems itself with this one. till then lets just wait & watch.
That is right. I'm also going to wait for Linea. But for the first time, I changed my diesel mentality to Petrol after seeing all New Honda City. Yes, I'm now open to Petrol as well
Old 25th September 2008, 15:37   #355
BHPian

If Linea is priced above the new city (or even the same price) i think lot of people will think seven times 7 before going for it.And I am one among this list who has already done this and decided for the new city.
Old 25th September 2008, 15:51   #356
Senior - BHPian

Would like to see how Linea prices its 1.4 Petrol against the City VTEC. The only way Linea Diesel could try eating a slight pie of City sales is pricing !!!

OT
@Opendro- How much is your monthly usage??
Old 25th September 2008, 16:11   #357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
Unfortunately that is the only activity around Fiat in India these days - Waiting and Watching. EDIT: & "Planning" (added after Amit's clarification).

Meanwhile other manufacturers are busy launching new models and upgrades one after the other. The new Corolla is out, the new City is out, the new Indica is out, Maruti made a whole new sedan out of the Swift during the period Fiat was mulling over their launches in India and it is now a bestseller. Hell, even the 'new' Ikon will be out soon with a 1.4 TDCi. The new Fiesta may be out with a 1.6 TDCi too.

Maybe Fiat is waiting for the Logan update before they launch their cars.

Last edited by Steeroid : 25th September 2008 at 16:21.
Old 25th September 2008, 16:20   #358
Senior - BHPian

Apart from waiting and watching, they are also busy planning.

Sergio Marchionne is exploring the option of making the Ranjangaon plant the global hub for future Fiat models. No doubt, this is great news but it remains to seen how fast they manage to do all of this.

Source: Italiaspeed.
Old 25th September 2008, 16:33   #359
Senior - BHPian

Linea sometimes reminds me of Duke Nukem Forever - forever in development & planning.
Old 25th September 2008, 16:55   #360
BHPian

Apart from wait and watch and plan Fiat is also making a whole load of money by manufacturing engines. The same engine is running in 4 different cars - Palio, Swift, Indica Vista and Dzire. Add to that exports to other countries. So the strategy may be simple, why launch a car and sweat around? when you are already minting $ by selling engines.

Just joking

IMHO, it may be a game of wait and watch what your competition offers, tune your offering and when you have a winner position the car.

Fiat - come of it now, light the Festival season with the Italian DONS.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed