Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2017, 18:39   #151
BHPian

re: The Mahindra TUV300 Plus. EDIT: Priced at Rs. 9.70 lakh

For long, the most probable vehicle to be driven rashly on Hyderabad roads, has been the Mahindra Xylo.
Now look like there would be another, thanks to the fleet owners lapping them up and employing senseless nincompoops to drive them.

PS: The Quanto would have won beauty pageants if the competitors were like the TUV300+.
Old 1st November 2017, 19:15   #152
BHPian

Hyundai should seriously provide design classes to Mahindra's design department! Seems like they don't have much time to patiently draft a simple and sober design and adopt a signature design language such as Ford, Volkswagen, Tata have adopted.
Old 1st November 2017, 19:17   #153
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Interiors of the TUV Plus revealed.
Yucks! This bad, huh! The quality of the plastics and the color of these parts seem to be screaming "cheap" from the rooftop.
Old 1st November 2017, 19:28   #154
Senior - BHPian

Tuv stands for tremendously ugly vehicle. Atleast the design team executed their brief completely, to design India's ugliest car!!
apachelongbow is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st November 2017, 19:40   #155
BHPian

Did Mahindra just slap on the Xylo rear on the TUV?

Thought it increases the size it really does not do any justice to the good looking TUV. They could have just extended the 3rd window and kept the rest of it as is.

Few of questions:
  • Who are the target customers?
  • How are the interiors of the higher variants?
  • Are there any other seat configuration?
  • Can you please improve/fix/change the rear design?
Old 1st November 2017, 19:40   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Interiors of the TUV Plus revealed.

Attachment 1691522
Attachment 1691523

link
From the pics, it appears to be a six speed gear box. Which is a good thing! Hope it comes with a proper AT and it would come in my contenders list. Not that the car itself manages to impress much with the current set of pics available; however would like to give it a benefit of doubt until I see one in skin.

I also sincerely hope that it has a VFM quotient with a good spread of features in each variant.
Old 1st November 2017, 19:43   #157
BHPian

So it's going to be a 2+3+4 seating configuration. While this maybe good for the taxis, I hope they have an option for a regular bench seat for the rear in the higher variants to cater to the general public.
Old 1st November 2017, 20:25   #158
BHPian

If Mahindra had retained the existing engine and increased the seating capacity, one could have been forgiven for assuming that the car was being targeted at the cab segment.
Quite frankly, Mahindra is sending out mixed signals.The interiors looks quite ordinary, the third row configuration is bad. But there is an upgraded engine.
It is neither a mass market car nor a refined upgrade on the TUV.
Old 1st November 2017, 20:31   #159
BHPian

The design philosophy of the two Indian manufacturers seems diametrically opposite. While Tata is continuously outdoing itself with classy designs, Mahindra seems to be in a tailspin. Other than the XUV500, they've been producing one ugly vehicle after the other.... Xylo, Quanto, KUV100 and now this.
John is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2017, 21:08   #160
BHPian

I am in the process of booking a TUV300 and then the sales executive casually showed me the TUV300 PLUS that came to the showroom. Word, as of now, is that, this is the only variant to be launched in Plus range. Solely aimed at Taxi segment and price will be between 10L to 11L onroad. That pricing alone is significant factor to attract taxi operators. They don't care about design/ interiors etc. All they need is a reliable vehicle with as much capacity as possible and decent mileage. TUV ticks all those boxes.

Yes, this is 1.99L engine with 120BHP and 6 speed MT. I wish they could provide that in higher variants of TUV 300 but the government norms restrict engine in that category to 1499cc. So, XYLO 'may be' phased out in favor of the TUV300 plus.

Not sure how much of this is true , I was told, in some months TUV300 outsold Scorpio. Lower end of political segment/ real estate builders are favoring TUV300 as it is much cheaper than Scorpio (one who can stretch to Scorpio are anyway buying XUV).
deetee is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st November 2017, 21:37   #161
Senior - BHPian

I used to wonder how some of the Chinese brands turned out such ugly looking cars and yes Mahindra has hit back with their own designs that will beat those Chinese designs hands down! Wow M&M we have no words!
First comes the Quanto, then the KUV300, and then the TUV300, and now the TUV plus. The older designs of Mahindra were far better, the timeless Scorpio and the XUV and for that matter of fact even the Xylo wasn't a bad looker, it was at least proportionate and did not look like they lasted three designs from 3 different cars, like the KUV.

So much for a company that went and acquired Pinnafarina!
motorworks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2017, 21:58   #162
Senior - BHPian

Ugliness has grown four wheel below and one behind!! Mahindra continues to surprise me. When I saw the camoflauged version I thought they can't make anymore ugly than that. But, they have actually managed to make the camoflauged version look much better than the original one!!

What's with that rear? Is there no better way of integrating the extended rear?

But I do have a different opinion about the interiors. Before blasting Mahindra for interior quality let's see what price point they launch this car at.
Old 1st November 2017, 23:13   #163
Senior - BHPian

I would say, this has a potential to be a very good move for the brand Scorpio. Let this cater to what the lower variants of Scorpio was aimed at.

They could easily take the brand Scorpio upmarket, by launching the Rexton (not many will buy it with that name) as Scorpio (and shelve the existing Scorp)
Old 1st November 2017, 23:29   #164

The slanted doors can seriously hurt you in the face. Usually people stand at a comfortable distance from the door handle and the way the door is slanted backwards as it goes up can lead the tip of the door hit your face.
I am 6 ft tall and I hit myself badly while opening the TUV door and my friend who's 5'9" almost met with the same fate.
I am not sure I have ever seen such a backward slanted door design on any car .
skoda0505 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2017, 06:21   #165
BHPian

Thanks for the correction. TUV3oo is a beautiful product in my eyes and hence I own a T8. However the rear of TUV plus is what I found awkward. What I find is that TUV is true blue SUV and does not try to hide from what it is; its boxy and and yes it is. Its bold and challenges to be accepted for what it is. It does not pretend to be something else. With TUV plus the rear and the front design does not gel. Though commercially it might be success particularly in Taxi segment because of practicality.
monakar is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks