Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2017, 16:59   #226
BANNED

re: The Mahindra TUV300 Plus. EDIT: Priced at Rs. 9.70 lakh

So, the TUV300 Plus will be launched next year in variants named P4 - P10, but at this moment, the base variant P4 is available for customers to "test" it.
Old 28th December 2017, 17:07   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
So, the TUV300 Plus will be launched next year in variants named P4 - P10, but at this moment, the base variant P4 is available for customers to "test" it.
Test it at your own hard earned money and if something fails you will spend max time of your life visiting service centers.

This is exactly what we the early owners of TUV 300 AMT doing.
Attached Thumbnails
The Mahindra TUV300 Plus. EDIT: Priced at Rs. 9.70 lakh-1514461064444.jpg  

ezee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th December 2017, 10:42   #228
BHPian

Isn't testing the job of the manufacturer before putting the product to market? New form of cost cutting I guess. I hope the Japanese, Koreans and Europeans don't pick up these practices.
Old 29th December 2017, 10:45   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezee View Post
Test it at your own hard earned money and if something fails you will spend max time of your life visiting service centers.

This is exactly what we the early owners of TUV 300 AMT doing.
Curious, did you get any response from M&M or Anand Mahindra on this.
Old 30th December 2017, 13:27   #230
BHPian

The TUV3OO plus is already in showrooms in 9 seater configuration with single ac and is available for purchase
Attached Thumbnails
The Mahindra TUV300 Plus. EDIT: Priced at Rs. 9.70 lakh-1514620648995.jpg  

diyguy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th December 2017, 19:51   #231
GTO
Team-BHP Support

This TUV300 Plus has the potential to kill the Scorpio. Okay, not kill it, but greatly cannibalize sales.

In almost every area (quality, interiors etc.), the TUV300 feels superior to the Scorpio. Only restriction was the 3-cylinder diesel. Now with the 4-cylinder, it's a match. And there's the enhanced space too!

I'm looking forward to driving this sometime (hopefully soon).
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 31st December 2017, 01:48   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This TUV300 Plus has the potential to kill the Scorpio. Okay, not kill it, but greatly cannibalize sales.

I'm looking forward to driving this sometime (hopefully soon).
Exactly my thoughts, but I just can't understand M&M's marketing strategy here for the TUV300 Plus.
•Why the 'no launch' launch?
•Why available only in the lowest possible trim? This will kill it's image, they are deliberately trying to push this into taxi/cab market with this entry level trim.
•Why there weren't no alloy wheels on later spotted camouflaged test mules? Will there be no higher trims?
• Is M&M management so in love with Scorpio that they are giving the step motherly treatment to the TUV 300 Plus, which has the potential to be a very good car in it's segment.
• Is M&M confused about their product line up?
• Have they stopped the production of Xylo? So is this a slow phasing out of Xylo and introduction of TUV300 Plus and this variant is launched to cater to the monthly 500 odd orders of Xylo majority of which were of low variant by taxi/cab market?

Last edited by wrongturn : 31st December 2017 at 01:52.
wrongturn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2017, 09:21   #233
Senior - BHPian

Somehow I do not think the TUV 300 plus will cannibalise the Scorpio and not the Xylo. The Xylo never had any sales off late so there is nothing there to cannibalise and people who buy the Scorpio probably buy it for its "macho" looks and also the brand name it's built over the years as a rugged SUV. On the other hand he TUV 300 plus looks very weird when viewed from the side and doesn't have the rather clean looks like the Scorpio, in comparison I mean.

What Mahindra is doing is saying that lets make the maximum number of cars with the least amount of engineering so cut the Xylo, make it the quanto or the nuvo sport, expand the TUV 300, make it the plus. I also remember something called the Bolero XL, which was slightly roomier version of the regular Bolero. And we are now hearing about smaller and bigger versions of the yet to be launched Tivoli!

So all this chopping and stretching exercise is just to create a long line of models so that the customer who walks in ends up buying something. Which isn't a bad thing in business.
But at some point Mahindra has to bring some sanity in their models and line up. They need some monthly blockbusters like the XUV, and not sales spread across 10 cars. And for this they should look up to Tata, the way they have gone about phasing out the older cars and pushing new ones, and also creating a road map for the future.
Old 31st December 2017, 09:30   #234
Senior - BHPian

If we could make the "hearse like" Qualis a hit; then why not a "home grown tupperware" like this!? If it's reasonably refined, delivers great fuel economy and fuss free ownership why not give the benefit of doubt to this boxy Mahindra. After all MUV's are more about functionality than design. It would be a hit with the taxi segment and suburban/rural segments. If kitted out well, we'll see these in our cities too!
Durango Dude is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st December 2017, 11:15   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Maybe yes, it can be confusing to a buyer. Nuvosport, Bolero, TUV 300, Scorpio and now TUV 300 Plus.. all are 7 seater SUVs. Maybe too many in the price range of 8-12 Lakhs.

PS: Thar falls in the same range but it has a unique buyer space undeterred by other products.
Thermodynamics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2017, 13:18   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
If we could make the "hearse like" Qualis a hit; then why not a "home grown tupperware" like this!? If it's reasonably refined, delivers great fuel economy and fuss free ownership why not give the benefit of doubt to this boxy Mahindra. After all MUV's are more about functionality than design. It would be a hit with the taxi segment and suburban/rural segments. If kitted out well, we'll see these in our cities too!

Qualis was launched in the late 90's and phased out in 2004 or something like that. Nearly 14 years later it is unfair to say that any design would be accepted in 2018! There were hardly any cars in that late 90's era!

The thing is, TUV300 plus is not going to be cheap. It will come at about 10-14 lakhs! And at that price if a car has such weird proportions then I do not know about acceptability. Sure, it may be more refined than a Bolero, may do well in rural markets, but that's about it.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2017, 14:05   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Qualis was launched in the late 90's and phased out in 2004 or something like that. Nearly 14 years later it is unfair to say that any design would be accepted in 2018! There were hardly any cars in that late 90's era!
Qualis looked ugliest car even in late 90s. The only reason it did well was because it was a Toyota. We Indians love to criticise to death our indigenous cars but will happily lap up any ugly offering from foreign makers. Coming to TUV300 Plus, it may not win any beauty contest but it serves the purpose of transporting 7/8 pax in relative comfort and at a price Toyota will probably sell you a car without engine.
pgsagar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st December 2017, 15:14   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
The only reason it did well was because it was a Toyota.
In addition to brand perception, I think the Qualis had car like drivability, quite a differentiation for a SUV then.

Would the upcoming TUV 300 Plus have enough differentiation ? Nevertheless, it serves the purpose and should manage well in rural regions competing the Bolero and Scorpio.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 31st December 2017 at 15:18.
Thermodynamics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2017, 15:57   #239
BHPian

I purchased my first car, a qualis in June 2000. It is still doing its daily duties and has never had a break down. Did the pdi of my TUV3OO yesterday and hope to get it this following week! Having seen the plus yesterday, I almost wish I had waited for the plus.

Last edited by diyguy : 31st December 2017 at 15:58.
Old 1st January 2018, 09:00   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Qualis looked ugliest car even in late 90s. The only reason it did well was because it was a Toyota. We Indians love to criticise to death our indigenous cars but will happily lap up any ugly offering from foreign makers. Coming to TUV300 Plus, it may not win any beauty contest but it serves the purpose of transporting 7/8 pax in relative comfort and at a price Toyota will probably sell you a car without engine.

Please do not bring the patriotic angle in this subject for no reason! There is no comparison with the Qualis which was a late 90's car! And people didn't lap up the Qualis because it was foreign, people bought it because it was reliable, and there were no alternatives then. But in 2018 we do not need vehicles stretched and chopped off with no aesthetic sense! Top Automobile manufacturers have enough engineering prowess to handle these kind of changes. Look at home grown Tata and even Maruti whose vehicles are all based on 1 or 2 platforms but yet they have tried to make them aesthetically pleasing to look at. Yes, even Maruti makes some weird cars like the Alto 800 and the earlier gen Dzire etc but their newer designs are far better. There is none like Mahindra who have taken design sense to a whole new level with the KUV, Quanto and now the TUV 300 plus!
motorworks is offline   (11) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks