Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Old 30th January 2020, 14:35   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Has Maruti-Suzuki reached a peak in terms of market share?

From what I understand during my discussion with Suzuki people in Japan, the automaker is currently looking inwards and readying itself for future. So new product launches are on the back burner. Since the launch of Wagon-R and Ertiga in 2018-19, there have been no global vehicle / India specific launch from Suzuki. The SPresso and XL6 is a local R&D project not a Suzuki global product. Even for the year 2020-21 they have only 1 new model launch as per my info. Whether Suzuki can bounce back stronger from this hiatus with new / Toyota technology is to be watched.
Old 3rd February 2020, 14:30   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Contrary to popular belief, Maruti Suzuki hits back and gains market share as Hyundai fails to garner sustained interested in Venue.

Name:  11.PNG
Views: 3339
Size:  91.7 KB

Source: Auto Punditz

Last edited by volkman10 : 3rd February 2020 at 14:35.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 15:42   #63
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
I calculated the market share based on this data, and as expected, Maruti is on downhill.

At the end of July, its market share was 48.35%; in Aug it slid further to 47.64%.

At the same time, Hyundai is able to maintain its share. If we look it along with Kia and if they get their way, Maruti is going to find it tough in future (atleast till rural demand increases).

Attachment 1912129
I for one sincerely hope that Maruti's market share keeps falling, opening up bigger avenues to other majors.

As a manufacturer Suzuki does not show enough appreciation to it's biggest market. Exports are minuscule and this disadvantage is very obvious when domestic sales fell and Maruti has no avenues to push surplus stock.

The so called domestic R&D operations have little to show and are mostly made up from parts-bin projects.

Other auto majors have shown a lot more commitment in return for a minuscule market share. Invested in major R&D facilities, pushed for more exports etc.

While there are no doubts that Maruti has done well managing it's head start and expanding it's nationwide reach as well as satiating the domestic demand for cheap economical cars, I get that!

Unfortunately as a carmaker Suzuki has always been about making cost-effective cars that just about cut it wil customer expectations and never higher. This mediocrity of Suzuki's car operations is reflective in the Indian car industry as a whole.
shortbread is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 17:12   #64
BHPian

It will be interesting to see the market share after the BSVI regime sets in. There are many challenges for Maruti, including manufacturing of cars with good crash ratings and futuristic powertrains. Hope they can sustain these challenges
smileline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2020, 13:05   #65
Senior - BHPian

Will not just defend market share but also charge at competition: Maruti Suzuki MD

The Maruti Suzuki Managing Directror and CEO Kenichi Ayukawa was responding to a query on how prepared is the company to defend its market share in India as competition is hotting up with the entry of Kia Motors and MG Motor, while China's Great Wall Motors and Haima Automobiles is also set to enter the market.
Quote:
"I am not defending, I am charging. We are charging anytime. If they are good products, we try to chase them," MSI Managing Directror and CEO Kenichi Ayukawa told in an interview.

Stressing that the company is used to competition, Ayukawa said, "Competition itself is there anytime. In the 1990s, new players came in and so the competition was there. Some new players are coming in. This time, players from Korea and China are coming."

He further said, "We have to do by ourselves to develop our product portfolio and manage our business itself to encourage customers and also set up strong sales and service network. Through those kind of activity maybe we can compete better."
Quote:
When asked if the company would need some more stand-out models, especially in the SUVs segment, Ayukawa said, "We have to develop new models but car business is not only about products. It is also about how you take care of your customers."

Reiterating the significance of customer relationship, he said, "It is important because we are not only selling, we are taking care of customers after finishing selling of the vehicle... Why a customer selects Maruti is because of the convenience of having a lot of dealers, sales and service points."

He further said, "We are also ensuring they don't wait long for spare parts if something happens to their cars. Those kind of convenience, they (customers) recognize."
wheelguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 14:54   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki retains its market share identical to Jan-20.

The Top 3 OEMs collectively command a humongous Market Share of 75.5%.

Name:  11.PNG
Views: 2383
Size:  68.1 KB

Source:Auto Punditz

Last edited by volkman10 : 3rd March 2020 at 15:15.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 21:38   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Even as the Indian Automotive Industry saw a massive de-growth of over 52% and the Market Leader Maruti Suzuki de-grew by -47% in Mar’20 v/s Mar’19 it preserves its market share above 50%.

Quote:
the OEM witnessed a Market Share growth of 3.9% and Maruti’s Market Share for Mar’20 was 54.2%.

Name:  12.PNG
Views: 2040
Size:  180.9 KB

Source: Maruti Suzuki
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 20:35   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki gets back on track. Gains market share in July -20!

Name:  ms.PNG
Views: 1660
Size:  79.9 KB

Last edited by volkman10 : 1st August 2020 at 20:38.
Old 4th October 2020, 11:06   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileline View Post
It will be interesting to see the market share after the BSVI regime sets in. There are many challenges for Maruti, including manufacturing of cars with good crash ratings and futuristic powertrains. Hope they can sustain these challenges
No stopping for the market leader, in the era of the pandemic the lower segment sees a drastic uptick in sales.
In fact Maruti Suzuki increase its presence in-spite of many hurdles it has, like the all petrol portfolio, fierce competition, etc.

Name:  1.PNG
Views: 1351
Size:  83.7 KB

volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 11:20   #70
BHPian

I like maruti cars honestly, if only they were built a better. I'd pick Maruti's 1.2 P in the hatchback, <10 segment over any other engine. But I guess they don't need to do anything, if they can put up these numbers with flimsy cars and 4 speed ATs. Customers vote with their wallets and that's all that matters in the market.
Old 4th October 2020, 18:37   #71
BHPian

IMO, nothing like reading the market right. Everybody else also invests a lot in reading the market and all, Maruti hasn't pulled out a miracle per se. I believe that Maruti was there at the right place at the right time. They had the kind of products we needed or we thought we needed.
Going forward though, I am not holding much hopes from Maruti. All their products are flimsy (barring the S-Cross) and perceived to be highly fuel efficient, cheaper to maintain and unsafe. While not anymore Maruti cars are the cheapest to maintain with Tata and Ford being cheaper, the tag of being unsafe plays in the mind of a perspective buyer more now than before. People are getting more and more aware about safety and in general as well. It used to be the case that a Maruti owner would prefer another Maruti to replace their old one, not anymore. Most Maruti owners don't see their cars with any sense of aspiration. Also, people buying their first car, yes, they tend to stick to the safest brand (some ignorance to blame here), but ones who have owned cars, they are likely to be more open minded and aware and less likely to play it safe and stick to Maruti. All this means that it's going to be a rough game ahead for Maruti and Hyundai, Kia, MG et all are going to enjoy that.
Old 5th October 2020, 00:05   #72
BHPian

As per a Kotak report of 2019, vehicle penetration rate in India is 21 per 1000 households with rich cities like Mumbai having a penetration of 98 vehicles per 1000 households. So, opportunities are galore.
I think Suzuki will lose market share in urban areas over next couple of years with the car buying class there considering themselves to be more aware (some of the comments I hear in my circle of acquaintances make me question that though!!) and more brand conscious with lesser desire to buy junta products that Suzuki peddles. But Suzuki has been and is getting stronger at the rural / non-urban centres with vehicles like S-Presso doing particularly well in such places.
I say next couple of years because from what I hear about their plans and looking at typical product life of 6 years, there is going to be a massive overhaul of their lineup with new vehicles, powertrains and the shebang. What happens in this next couple of years will determine Suzuki future. If they are able to defend their Market share, then I would put them in pole position to be in the lead till autonomous vehicles and EVs dominate the market.
Old 5th October 2020, 00:35   #73
BHPian

Due to high taxation, R and D budgets for India is low. Maruti-Suzuki and Toyota have achieved high success in India by repurposing other platforms from Japan/Asia .

Maruti-Suzuki R and D from Japanese Kei car standards has fit perfectly to cater to Indian conditions. Both cutting costs and being most efficient.

Both Car manufacturing and fuel is taxed at more than 50% in India . Suzuki has a big edge.

Analogous to Android vs Apple in smartphones. Android software development is subsidised and hardware assemblers can leverage scale of free Android development and Chinese/worldwide scale in terms of hardware to come up with cheaper high performing devices for India.

Toyota-Suzuki is a monopoly on Automotive profits in India.
This is here to stay.
drsingh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 21:44   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki Q2 net profit edges higher to ₹1,371 crore in the quarter ended September 30, 2020.

Quote:
During the quarter, Maruti registered net sales of ₹17,689 crore, higher by 9.7% compared to the same period previous year.
Quote:
Maruti Suzuki sold a total of 393,130 vehicles during the quarter, higher by 16.2% compared to the same period previous year

Quote:
Sales in the domestic market stood at 370,619 units, higher by 18.6%. Exports were at 22,511 units, lower by 12.7%.
Link
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 08:14   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

On this day, 37 years ago, the first locally made Maruti 800 was delivered to Harpal Singh.

Quote:
The Japanese carmaker, which entered the Indian market as a joint venture with the Government of India, has come a long way, creating several milestones. With 15 models and a market share of close to 50 per cent, it rules the Indian market, selling almost 1.5 million units every year — rolling out one model every ten seconds.
Quote:
No other market has seen the gap between the top two players as wide as this. In FY20, Maruti’s share was 50.99 percent, while Hyundai, the second-largest in the pecking order, had a share of 17.5 per cent.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 15th December 2020 at 08:15.

Most Viewed