Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2018, 09:43   #271
BHPian

Re: SsangYong Rexton (Y400) to be sold as Mahindra Alturas G4 in India. EDIT : Launched at 26.95 Lak

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
You are quite right in saying this. Ideally Mahindra should have given an onroad price of aound RS 30 lakhs at launch. Slowly after the first 5000 units sold, they could have raised the price to 32 and then 35 lakh, adding some styling elements and say auto dimming mirrors etc. The sticker price of RS 10 lakh less than the segment leader would have stuck on and Mahindra would have gained traction.
Can't agree more on these two posts. OTR below 30 would have been a BIG winner for Mahindra. Many XUV owners am sure would have upgraded, me including (from my w10-awd-at). What a disappointment
sk7671 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 12:27   #272
Senior - BHPian

Re: SsangYong Rexton (Y400) to be sold as Mahindra Alturas G4 in India. EDIT : Launched at 26.95 Lak

Mahindra may play with a longer warranty card if they believe in the product and component quality.

People in these segments would be happy looking at a 5 year or 5+2 year warranty kind of offering on the product. Most of the manufactures rope in insurance companies for risk underwriting for initial batches and based on the final on-road performance take the risk on themselves. Such arrangements will not even hurt the annual P&L of Mahindra.

More so they should have launched it in 2019 instead of now, because other products (Toyota as well as Ford) will be offering discounts to clear year end inventory which would not be possible for Mahindra on Alturas for it being a fresh product.
Old 26th November 2018, 12:41   #273
BHPian

A majority of fellow bhpians feel the Alturas is overpriced and I can't beg to differ either. A good 6 to 7 lakh rupees difference between the Fortuner and Endeavour would have been very perfect pricing. Which means that Alturas would have sat bang in between the top end XUV500 W11 AT and the Fortuner. That way they could have attracted both XUV500 and Fortuner customers. I feel Mahindra dropped the ball by not giving an attractive introductory pricing, they could have attracted a lot of buyers initially to build some steam and could have increased the price after 3 months. Best example of a company following this trend being the Honda Amaze Diesel CVT. Also, it was mentioned in one of the off roading videos that the Alturas is a CKD unit. That could explain its rather ambitious pricing. Although the Alturas gets many segment first features and a lot of kit for the price, it remains to be seen how many buyers choose tech over brand value. At the moment, it is kind of a mixed bag.
karthick_b is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 13:09   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
Mahindra Alturas goes off-roading, video from ZigWheels.
The traction control at 1:48 and 2:08, nice!
Old 26th November 2018, 15:04   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post

Had a chance to see the G4 in flesh at Koncept Mahindra, South Delhi.
The marketing comparison shown to me by the sales execs reported the ground clearance as a whopping 244 mm. Against the Endeavour's 225 and the Fortuner's 220mm. Are these the actual digits for the G4.? Or is it a wordplay with the laden, unladen conditions?

Name:  MahindraAlturasoffroad13 1.png
Views: 5141
Size:  236.4 KB

Image Source CarToq
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 16:11   #276
Senior - BHPian

I don't understand why people are bashing Mahindra for the pricing.
As I understand, they have given a credible alternative to existing cars in the segment by offering better features and a lower price without skimping on quality or obvious cost cutting. If people are going to buy the T-Fort because of brand value, then it really does not matter even if the price is less by a couple of lakhs more.
adimicra is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 16:27   #277
BHPian

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-imageuploadedbyteambhp1543229641.192245.jpg

For those looking at on road prices in Bangalore ,

G2 is priced at 34 lakhs
G4 is priced close to 38 lakhs

Attached is the price breakup for reference .

is it worth 38 lakhs to pay for a Mahindra on road is the question
Ranga is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 18:16   #278
BHPian

Is this true? attaching a photo and text from an article from carwale.

The Alturas G4 completed the 0-100kmph run in just 11.06 seconds! And while the equally fast Endeavour 3.2 took 11.31 seconds, the Fortuner did it in even slower in 13.08 seconds. This not only shows this Mahindra is quicker than the competition in flat-out acceleration, but has managed to pip the Toyota not by mere milliseconds, but by a marginal two seconds.

here is the article
https://www.carwale.com/m/news/mahin...mance-testing/
Attached Thumbnails
The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-mahindraalturasg4vstoyotafortunervsfordendeavour141964.jpg  

sreejinair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 18:31   #279
BHPian

Price seems over-ambitious for now. Mahindra is not yet in a place where it commands the same respect, relevance, and reliability etc of some of these other manufacturers.

However, if they do manage do deliver a good, reliable product with great service, the Alturas could eventually become a nice serious contender.

In my opinion though, this was best done is two phases -

> Phase 1 could have been something half-way between the XUV and Fortuner - win the confidence of people by showing their ability to provide good vehicles and standby their product in terms of support and service.

> Phase 2 - Bring on the Alturas that rivals every international brand for whatever it is they may stand for.

That, in my opinion, would win Mahindra lot more customers and market share.
Miyata is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 19:08   #280
BHPian

We drove one with side steps on this same obstacle - even that DID NOT touch.

Quote:
The marketing comparison shown to me by the sales execs reported the ground clearance as a whopping 244 mm. Against the Endeavour's 225 and the Fortuner's 220mm. Are these the actual digits for the G4.? Or is it a wordplay with the laden, unladen conditions?

Attachment 1822312

Image Source CarToq

Last edited by GTO : 27th November 2018 at 07:44. Reason: PM coming up
BunnyPunia is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 19:46   #281
BHPian

Our discussions about price seems to stem from a price bandwidth that is a market vacuum. Considering my personal example: I'm in the market for an upgrade from my Storme. Like I assume what would be true for many of us, my requirements are
  • Seven Seater
  • Automatic
  • 4x4/AWD
Today these are ALL the options I have in the market. (with the Pajero sport knocked off as it lacks a 4x4 AT variant)

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-screen-shot-20181126-7.23.15-pm.png

All prices OTR Delhi from CarDekho/respective manufacturers website.
Skoda Kodiaq L&K is not included. Festive Price slash of the Kodiaq is included.

This presents a wide chasm which I affectionately call the Darien Gap which manufacturers have refused to populate. This is not a current gorge that sprung up yesterday, but I have found this gap existing for quite some time. When I was shopping for the Storme in 2012/13, it was just Safari Scorpio and a wide gap and then the 'premium' SUVs. Though all these cars have steadily moved up the price ladder over the last 5 years, the gap just pushed along with the cars and persists even today.

I have been hoping that some brave soul ventures into the Darien Gap and plonks some nice offerings there. Or else, as it stands today, a 15 lac storme owner like myself is forced to more than double his budget for any logical upgrade.

Lets hope that with the 2019 line up, we can close this canyon.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 19:58   #282
BHPian

I see what you are saying and I think Hyundai and Tata will fill that gap soon. Tata H7X and Hyundai Creta 7 seater.

Quote:
This presents a wide chasm which I affectionately call the Darien Gap which manufacturers have refused to populate. This is not a current gorge that sprung up yesterday, but I have found this gap existing for quite some time. When I was shopping for the Storme in 2012/13, it was just Safari Scorpio and a wide gap and then the 'premium' SUVs. Though all these cars have steadily moved up the price ladder over the last 5 years, the gap just pushed along with the cars and persists even today.

I have been hoping that some brave soul ventures into the Darien Gap and plonks some nice offerings there. Or else, as it stands today, a 15 lac storme owner like myself is forced to more than double his budget for any logical upgrade.

Lets hope that with the 2019 line up, we can close this canyon.

Last edited by SDP : 26th November 2018 at 20:29. Reason: Trimming quoted text for better readability
sreejinair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 21:04   #283
BHPian

Quote:
You might be surprised to see this

https://www.automotiveworld.com/news...gazine-awards/
viren83 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 08:37   #284
BHPian

Quote:

Mahindra Alturas crash tested – Gets 5 star safety rating like Toyota Fortuner SUV

Mahindra Alturas is a rebadged SsangYong Rexton for India.

Following years of dominance in mass market SUV segments, Mahindra has steadily been expanding its repertoire. Alturas G4 is a high-end SUV from the manufacturer, helped of course by Ssangyong. Following launch, Mahindra Alturas G4 2WD variant is available across dealerships at a retail price of Rs. 26.95 lakh (ex-sh) while the top end is available at Rs 29.95 lakhs, ex-sh.

Last year SsangYong Motor’s Rexton G4 Rexton bagged a top crash test rating from the Korean transport ministry. Rexton G4, which we know as Alturas G4 was awarded five stars for collision safety in the 2017 Korean New Car Assessment Program (K-NCAP). Rival Toyota Fortuner too comes with a 5 star safety rating.

On the safety front, Mahindra Alturas G4 comes equipped with 9 airbags (driver seat, passenger seat, driver’s knee protection, side airbags in 1st & 2nd rows, and curtain airbags); and Electronic Stability Program (ESP) with Active Rollover Protection (ARP), Brake Assist System (BAS), Hill Start Assist (HSA), Traction Control System, ABS + EBD and Emergency Stop Signal. Built on ultra-high strength steel quad frame structure, and fortified with side impact beams and front crumple zones, Hill Descent Control (HDC), immobiliser, and ISOFIX mounts for child seat are standard features.

In the overseas market, Rexton G4 features nine airbags, and 81.7 percent of the car body comprises of high strength steel. Mahindra Alturas is assembled in India, with parts imported from South Korea. India is the only country where the Rexton / Alturas is sold as CKD – everywhere else in the world the SUV is sold as CBU, exported from S Korea. Below is the crash test video of Mahindra Alturas / SsangYong Rexton. The car has undergone – Frontal Crash Test, 40% Offset Frontal Impact Test (adult and child), Side Impact Test, Braking Test (Dry and wet), Pedestrian Protection Legform and headform Test and Seat stability test.

Mahindra Alturas G4 is available at existing ‘World of SUVs’ dealerships that have incorporated separate high-end showrooms within the store. The particular development takes care of digital customer experiences that one has grown accustomed to. Alturas G4 customers will deal with exclusive Relationship Managers at the store, and get access to Purple Club+ premium loyalty programme.

Power comes from a 2.2 litre, 4-cylinder engine that returns max power of 133.1 kW (178 BHP) and max torque of 420 Nm assisted by a Mercedes-Benz 7- speed Automatic Transmission in both variants. Mahindra Alturas G4 features a chrome front grille, HID headlamps with LED DRLs, LED fog lamps with cornering lamps, LED tail lamps and dual tone roof rails. The car sits on 45.72 cm (18″) diamond cut alloy wheels.
LINK

Will these Crash Tests SAVE Alturas from Crashing in the Indian Market ?

Last edited by GTO : 28th November 2018 at 08:14. Reason: Removing the second article + link as that website was clearly running a paid advertorial
JS Kwt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 12:50   #285
BHPian

Pricing has left me disappointed. I am planning an upgrade to my 2012 XUV W8 FWD in the next 6-8months and was looking forward to the Alturas. Now I am not so sure and am leaning towards the Fortuner or Kodiaq (if i can manage the budget. Very skeptical about plonking close to 35L on a Mahindra, especially considering their After sales service experience which is very underwhelming. Haven't had any major issues but is definitely not what you expect for a 15L + car.
When are we getting the official team bhp review of the Alturas? I hope one is in the offing. Can't wait to read!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks