Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Old 2nd September 2019, 22:43   #511
R_R
BHPian

Default Re: The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30

The international reviews of the Alturas/Rexton seem much more positive about its off-road capabilities than the Indian reviews, for some reason.

This one, quoted below, from Australia, talks about the Rexton having the Eaton's automatic MLocker rear-diff. Does the Alturas have the same set-up, or is it different in the Indian version? Does anybody know?

"SsangYong is proud of its body-on-frame SUV heritage, and that is staying true with the Rexton. It has all of the important 4WD underpinnings, like a part-time 4WD system and low range. The rear differential is Eatonís automatic MLocker, which will automatically lock up the rear end when there is more than 100rpm of variation between each wheel. It works pretty well off-road, clicking into action relatively quickly to ease wheelspin and keep you moving."

Link: https://www.caradvice.com.au/709211/...rexton-review/
R_R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 15:43   #512
Senior - BHPian

For the lack of a seperate thread, I post here the Ssyangong Korando (could inspire the next gen XUV500) EURO NCAP crash test results (Scored the full 5 stars)

AlphaKilo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2019, 15:05   #513
BHPian

I have been looking to upgrade my XUV 500 which is 6 years old now. It has been almost 2 years since I started my search and still not able to figure out what would be my next. Kind of shortlisted Endy and Alturas and did a TD of both on the same day. Here are my observations (common factors avoided)

WHAT I LIKED

ENDY

Panoramic Sunroof
Better space in the third row
Three Zone AC
Electrically foldable third row seats
Larger boot space
Slightly better ride quality (driven only about 20Kms)

ALTURAS

Better looking interiors
Seamless gear shift (Mercedes sourced gearbox)
More responsive engine (I felt so)
Ventilated seats
Welcome gesture
3D Around View Camera
Memory Profile for Driver Seat
Quiet cabin
Costs ~4 Lakhs lesser

WHAT I DIDNT LIKE

ENDY

Mileage (from what I heard)
No discounts

ALTURAS

Crammed third row seats
No Panoramic sunroof

Bottom Line - If you take out the "Brand Value", Alturas looks to be the real VFM. Though I am wary of Mahindra after sales services, given that M&M will be managing the Ford vehicles moving forward, I am not sure if that will be a deciding factor in choosing between these two.

Appreciate your valuable thoughts
vinucv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2019, 18:16   #514
BHPian

On a daily basis I see an Alturas parked in my office parking lot,and for some reason it looks ordinary to me, not having that rich looks in the exterior. The Endy looks more majestic compared to Alturas. Again, these are my personal opinion.
Superleggera is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2019, 19:10   #515
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
On a daily basis I see an Alturas parked in my office parking lot,and for some reason it looks ordinary to me, not having that rich looks in the exterior. The Endy looks more majestic compared to Alturas. Again, these are my personal opinion.
Please compare the interiors of the two as well when you get an opportunity. You will be surprised.
SDP is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 10:58   #516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinucv View Post
I have been looking to upgrade my XUV 500 which is 6 years old now.

Appreciate your valuable thoughts
please scroll back to previous page and refer to my post no. 497 on my take of upgrade.

Its been 6 months & 9k kms since I got my Endy and its been running really great. No issues, very comfy and powerful vehicle which is stress free to drive on city roads, highways & good/bad/no roads.
As I keep saying, this is probably the most perfect car within 50L for India.
Old 10th October 2019, 11:10   #517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Please compare the interiors of the two as well when you get an opportunity. You will be surprised.
I agree with that the interiors of Alturas are a class apart. That's why I have specifically mentioned about exterior.
Superleggera is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 13:03   #518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniket6 View Post
please scroll back to previous page and refer to my post no. 497 on my take of upgrade.

Its been 6 months & 9k kms since I got my Endy and its been running really great. No issues, very comfy and powerful vehicle which is stress free to drive on city roads, highways & good/bad/no roads.

As I keep saying, this is probably the most perfect car within 50L for India.

Thanks Aniket. Out of the reasons mentioned there, other than the ride comfort factor, other things do not significantly matter to me. So wondering should I be spending another 4L for that reason. I am also thinking about the future support for Ford especially with respect to parts availability since they seem to be gradually exiting India through a JV. It may not be the case but I am being sceptical here
Old 14th October 2019, 22:40   #519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinucv View Post
Thanks Aniket. Out of the reasons mentioned there, other than the ride comfort factor, other things do not significantly matter to me. So wondering should I be spending another 4L for that reason. I am also thinking about the future support for Ford especially with respect to parts availability since they seem to be gradually exiting India through a JV. It may not be the case but I am being sceptical here
I have an Alturas 4WD and it's been my primary car for the last couple of months and the car has run 3600 kms. Recently it also helped an Ertiga caught in slush near Madikeri without a hitch. It's a bit bouncy between 40/60 kmph range but afterwards, I haven't experienced any issues so far.

Recently, my driver scraped the rear right panel while taking the car out from the parking. To my surprise, Mahindra service was super prompt. Shireesh Auto, HSR Layout, Bangalore initially said that it may take 10 days for the wheel arch beeding and door handle to come as they don't have the parts. But, the car was ready in 4 days and they did a very good job.

I feel that we unnecessarily downplay an Indian brand. It's a machine - anything can go wrong but I have found Mahindra service to do a reasonably good job (I also have an XUV and have never faced a problem). The same brand now owns quite a few marquee brands in the world and are working towards increasing their efficiency.

Whoever has sat in my Alturas has come back impressed by the features, trim levels, comfort, NVH levels and sheer road presence. I wanted to buy Endeavour but my family felt it was cramped. And, before anyone talks about the 3rd row, in almost all cars 3rd row is only good for kids and only for short distances.
Attached Thumbnails
The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-alt7600.jpg  

vivekshukla is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th October 2019, 17:53   #520
BHPian

Default Re: SsangYong Rexton (Y400) to be sold as Mahindra Alturas G4 in India. EDIT : Launched at 26.95 Lak

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks for the initial impressions, Aditya & SDP! A competent SUV, but overpriced by 5 - 7 lakhs. Whoever saw the vehicle and / or drove it liked it. But when they heard the price, the unanimous answer was "why wouldn't I just buy a Fortuner or Endeavour?".

Nice engine, smooth transmission, likable cabin, lots of features & typical body-on-frame ride quality (compliant, but not plush - reminded me of the Fortuner).

I wish Mahindra had gone aggressive with the pricing by seriously undercutting the Fortuner & Endeavour. At the current price, it'll have just a handful of takers. Remember, this segment isn't as "price sensitive" as it is "brand sensitive". And even if you pay more for the Fortuner, you'll easily recover the difference in resale.
Hello, I TD the Alturas G4 today(in Bangalore) for about 60kms. It was a combination of fully broken Bannerughatta Road(due to the Metro work) for about 10kms and about 50 kms on NICE Road(also partially potholed ridden for about 30kms). The TD car had about 23500kms on the ODO. As regards to the ride quality I came out impressed(please remember I have been driving the XUV5OO for about 5 years). On the Bannerughatta road at slow speeds the ride was above average due to the soft suspension I guess). I am comparing this with the Fortuner. On the NICE Highway at high speeds(between 120~140kmph), it was pretty OK but slightly bouncy on undulations(typical of soft suspension with high GC I guess) but it was still acceptable. On the pot holed ridden stretch, the G4 simply flattened them. So overall the suspension and ride quality was superior compared to the Fortuner. I would give it 3.75/5.0.
And with current discounts of up to 4 lacs and buy back option after 4 years at 57%, I think it should be a good buy.
I had initially under estimated the 2.2 engine. The engine was super refined(in comparison to the Fortuner). Power delivery was linear but felt very powerfull. With 5 adults on board, I was effortlessly doing 140kmph. I always had enough power on the tap for overtaking. Did not at all feel like a 2.2 engine unlike in the Endy 2.2 MT. It has enough torque(420Nm) and good straight line speed. The Mercedes sourced 7 speed Autobox did a great job. Gear shifts were seamless though I observed a micro seconds lag while up shifting but I guess you will learn to work it up quite easily. Feature & luxury wise, I felt the current Fortuner looks like 2 generations behind & the 2.2MT Endy is plaine jane(wasted oppurtunty). The coolest features on the G4 were the ventilated seats, resuming cruise control after disengaging it, 3 memory option on drivers seat positions, 360 deg camera view, auto boot opening when you just stand there with key in your pocket. Fit, feel, finish & ergonomics were far superior than the Fortuner and on par with the Endy(if not better).
And the most terrible thing is the 3rd row seat. Even kids cant sit there. Its a total waste of space.
Overall, after test driving the G4 and the Endy 2.2 MT, I would place my order of preference as below:-
1. Ford 3.2 AT - if I have that kind of money(though I have not test driven one - reviews are excellent).
2. Alturas G4(4x4) - I think it is VFM.
3. Fortuner 2x4 MT- if I love Toyota and its reliability.

Just my 2 cents on the above cars..
Thanks for reading.
Pkumarblore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2019, 19:24   #521
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: SsangYong Rexton (Y400) to be sold as Mahindra Alturas G4 in India. EDIT : Launched at 26.95 Lak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkumarblore View Post
Hello, I TD the Alturas G4 today(in Bangalore) for about 60kms.
Yes, Alturas is real VFM offering by Mahindra. I also took a test drive of Alturas on the same broken Bannerghatta road and on Nice road.
The engine is super silent and refined compared to Endeavour. The 6 speed gearbox shifts well.
Instead of discounts, it needs a price correction. There is no point paying higher road tax due to high ex-showroom price.

Last edited by aah78 : 15th October 2019 at 21:40. Reason: Quote trimmed. Please don't quote large posts entirely. Thanks!
Old 15th October 2019, 20:02   #522
BHPian

Thanks.
I was told that it's a 7 speed autobox.
I have actually not seen the price break up, so I don't know if the discounts are on the base price, and if so I'll probably pay lesser road tax. I'll get to know tomorrow as the SA is visiting me with a proposal.
I have more or less decided to buy the G4 over the Fortuner 2x3 MT. Thanks again.
Pkumarblore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2019, 22:22   #523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Congratulations on the ride! Wish you unlimited safe & happy miles! Lucknow to Bengaluru is quite a journey. Worth a travelogue of sorts!

Please don't let anyone "sleep" horizontally in a moving car. No matter how much they want to or how young they are. Please ensure you get a good ISOFIX child seat - there are good ones available for upto 10 year olds with bolstering & booster design. I have one too.

Its of utmost necessity to ensure secure & fastened kids in journeys. Child seats a must if the kids are little & can't use the seat belts directly. The car you have travels fast & will be driven fast. Even a quick braking can throw around occupants if they aren't buckled in. Its disappointing that we have PUCs & removal of sun-films as mandatory but not child/booster seats.

Take care.
I totally agree, seat belts on while on highway is a basic safety measure. My son have been using a car seat since he was 6 months old and now that he is 6 years old I have got a booster seat with proper back rest which makes sure he is always seated with belts on. This can be used till he turns 12. And then hopefully he can be seated like a normal passenger.

I bought the booster seat from Amazon, as I was unable to get a good one at a reasonable price from a brick and mortar store even in Mumbai.

Last edited by WheelWake : 15th October 2019 at 22:23.
WheelWake is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 12:13   #524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekshukla View Post
It's a bit bouncy between 40/60 kmph range but afterwards, I haven't experienced any issues so far.

To my surprise, Mahindra service was super prompt. Shireesh Auto, HSR Layout, Bangalore initially said that it may take 10 days for the wheel arch beeding and door handle to come as they don't have the parts. But, the car was ready in 4 days and they did a very good job.

I feel that we unnecessarily downplay an Indian brand. It's a machine - anything can go wrong but I have found Mahindra service to do a reasonably good job (I also have an XUV and have never faced a problem).

Whoever has sat in my Alturas has come back impressed by the features, trim levels, comfort, NVH levels and sheer road presence. I wanted to buy Endeavour but my family felt it was cramped. And, before anyone talks about the 3rd row, in almost all cars 3rd row is only good for kids and only for short distances.
I agree with you. I went ahead and booked the G4 and delivery is expected around Diwali. Though I was looking for an MT but dint have any choice apart from the Fortuner or the Endy 2.2. Of the AT's I found the G4 VFM with the additional 3rd and 4th year warranty plus AMC package for 4 years and assured buy back from Mahindra Xsmart after 3/4/5 years at a price which is mostly acceptable. I too own a XUV5OO right now and have learnt to live with Mahindra's ASS. But I was told that there is a separate specialized ASS team for the Alturas. So I guess the service levels are improved.
Old 21st October 2019, 16:44   #525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkumarblore View Post
I agree with you. I went ahead and booked the G4 and delivery is expected around Diwali. I too own a XUV5OO right now and have learnt to live with Mahindra's ASS. But I was told that there is a separate specialized ASS team for the Alturas. So I guess the service levels are improved.
Congratulations on your new car! Happy to increase the tribe. I hope you will not face any issue with the car and Mahindra Service. The gearbox is indeed 7 speed and is very smooth and in a way big talking point. Right now, I am trying to source an auto dimming mirror for Alturas as that's one thing which Mahindra skimped on. All the best!

Most Viewed