Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2022, 10:50   #571
BHPian

Re: The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30

Did this render on the Alturas g4 facelift if it is launched. Based on the XUV700, the grill has been modified

I'm no Professional editor so please forgive me for mistakes or bad editing

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-xuv-grill-alturas-1.jpg
arnav17 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 22:27   #572
BHPian

The service provided by Mahindra for Alturas G4 seems questionable. My Uncle has a BS4 Alturas G4 4*4 variant. On October 21, his car suffered a minor accident and required a complete replacement of the steering rack and control arms. The service center took around a month to procure the parts and another month to replace them.

On February 22, his car suffered a rodent attack, and the 4WD system and ABS were not working. Upon diagnosis, the Mahindra people gave a quote of around 3 Lakhs for replacing the wiring harness. Fortunately, he had rodent cover in his insurance, so the car was surveyed by the surveyor and the quote was brought down to 40k. This time they took around a month to replace the harness.

Last week, the car refused to start in a single crank and needed multiple cranks, and the check engine light came on once. Upon inspection, the technicians determined that 2 injectors needed replacement costing around 40k each, My uncle took the car back home as he was not sure what to do. I was casually looking at the engine bay of the car yesterday, there was a rubber pump-like thing near the fuel filter. When I looked in the repair manual, it is mentioned as a priming pump. When I pressed it, I saw air bubbles coming out of the injector drain tubes (only in those injectors that needed replacement as per the service center people, and the other 2 had no bubbles coming out). I pressed the pump till the air bubbles stopped and started the car and Voilà!! The car started with a single crank and runs absolutely fine.*

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 1752
Size:  40.9 KB

It seems Mahindra has not trained its service people to diagnose the car, and now that the Ssangyong-Mahindra alliance has ended, I'm worried about the spare parts availability and proper diagnosis after say 5 years.
nithishsaba is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 17:09   #573
BHPian

Yesterday, Our vehicle encountered a tyre burst while travelling on the highway at night around 9 pm. My dad and sister were travelling, and after a tiring and highly exhaustive day, this was least expected just 45 minutes before home.
I'm writing this to share my experience and spread a little awareness. Until yesterday, I knew it but never bothered to check how to change the spare wheel (BS4 comes with a full-size alloy spare). They had difficulty locating the toolbox first, then the hook to lower the spare. It might sound typical, but being stranded on the highway with nothing working out for an aged person who would not be able to change the tyre by himself was a little problematic.
Thankfully, a good samaritan stopped himself and helped him from taking the punctured tyre to the nearby shop, where he declared it was a burst and non-reparable. They spent an hour and a half figuring out the toolbox and spare and finally left.

Points to note:
I'm glad we had a spare (more glad it's a full-size alloy), as I don't think a puncture repair kit with no spare would have worked out in this scenario. It would have resulted in a Tow condition. It's terrible that manufacturers are not providing the fifth wheel; it should be a space saver or a full size, but there should be one.

These are learnings for me, and maybe most people already follow this: But I'm going to check the kit every time before a highway run, even if it isn't used last. Also, I'm buying two tyre inflators for both vehicles.

If someone could recommend a good quality inflator, that would be great. I see many options on amazon, and all look similar.
aastiksaluja is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 19:43   #574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aastiksaluja View Post

If someone could recommend a good quality inflator, that would be great. I see many options on amazon, and all look similar.
Go for the following inflator 'MICHELIN 12312 Programmable Rapid 4X4/SUV Digital Tyre Inflator, Direct Drive Technology'

I've been using since a year and have stopped filling air at petrol bunks.
for_cars1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 22:55   #575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aastiksaluja View Post
Glad things worked out for your Dad and sister aastiksaluja. A puncture can be harrowing enough, a tyre burst is much more serious.

I just bought the MI Portable 1S from mi.com for 3 thousand rupees. It’s really small, just keep it charged and it will sit in the glove box of any vehicle. On a full charge it easily tops up my car and bike before showing battery low.

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-4bada970b8f34be982cb23ead16ffa1a.jpeg

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-8fbabd25e61a48c990bd576b39b2b8be.jpeg

It’s extremely convenient, haven’t been to the pump to check air pressure ever since.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 10:28   #576
BHPian

Has Mahindra stopped producing 4x4 variants of the Alturas G4 ?
Dealer says new bookings are for 4x2 only.
Old 14th September 2022, 16:08   #577
BHPian

I recently came across a 2019 BSIV 4x4 model here in Bangalore. The car was listed in carwale and I visited the dealer to have a test drive. The car looks in good shape and has done 25k in the last 4 years. Before I start my negotiation, I wanted to highlight a few of my observations and take your inputs if I decide to press the buy button.

Drive Impressions
1. The car is wide and imposing to drive. Takes some time to get adjusted to the road. This inspite of me driving the 2nd gen Scorpio for over 13 years

2. The drive is planted in city and the gear shifts were smooth for city conditions. The suspension tuning is much better. I will need to take it for a drive in the highway to ascertain the body roll.

3. The engine pickup was smooth and gear shifts were linear. Pretty much no noise in the cabin for city runs. My understanding is once it crosses 1800-2000 rpm, some noise will filter into the cabin.

4. On the body, I observed a few small dents that can be missed a) a small dent on the bonnet. The bonnet also had some very minor paint chippings, probably on account of small stone hitting the car while driving on the higbway, b) on the left rear door, there is a small dent and some paint chipping as well. It took some time for me to identify that as it is very light.

5. When I checked the service history, I got to understand that the front bumper was repainted, not sure why it was done. I will be talking to the service center to understand it further,

6. In the front bumper near the number plate there was some chipping of the plastic, not looking bad though

7. The car in OEM form came with Hancook 255/60/R18 wheels. But I observed that the front two tyres were changed to Bridgestone Duellers. When queried further, I got to understand that the owner had asked the service center to change the tyres. Not sure if there was a major accident or the tyres were bad that they changed. I checked the tread and it was good enough for atleast another 30k. I have asked for more details. I hope the car was not part of a major accident.

8. The Steering wheel is too thin to my liking. Some chunk would have been good to hold. Also for city speeds the steering wheel is pretty responsive. For very slow speeds it does take some effort, but much better than the Scorpio.

9. The horn pad positioning was pretty bad. It takes effort to press the pad and doing it with a thumb was too much of effort.

10. All other things including AC, lights, sunroof and other were working without any issue.

Overall, I find the car an interesting proposition. If I can get some clarifications from the service center and insurance company and I am convinced enough about the spares and availability, I may take the plunge

However one dilemma I continue to face is the cost. I may end up paying the same on road price of ScorpioN Z8 AT. Agreed, it is completely two different segments, but on one hand I could get a brand new car with no niggles / issues (Fingers crossed M&M) or I could take the luxury root and put my money on this car if my mechanic checks it out.

Do you guys believe that if I get a good deal on the Alturas, I can take the plunge?
diwakarmuthu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 07:59   #578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwakarmuthu View Post
I recently came across a 2019 BSIV 4x4 model here in Bangalore.
Drive Impressions

3. The engine pickup was smooth and gear shifts were linear. Pretty much no noise in the cabin for city runs. My understanding is once it crosses 1800-2000 rpm, some noise will filter into the cabin.

8. The Steering wheel is too thin to my liking. Some chunk would have been good to hold. Also for city speeds the steering wheel is pretty responsive. For very slow speeds it does take some effort, but much better than the Scorpio.

Do you guys believe that if I get a good deal on the Alturas, I can take the plunge?

Hi
I sold my Alturas G4 4x4 Dec 2019, 15k km for Rs 25 Lakhs in Sep 2021.
Amongst the few cars cars I have driven in my 40 years of driving experience, the Alturas was the best.
I sold it ONLY and ONLY because the manufacturing had shut down and I perceived that spares would be hard and time taking to come by.
It has no noticeable extra cabin noise at higher RPMs.
I had fitted an aftermarket steering cover to make the steering wheel thicker.
During the pre-Thar/XUV700/ScorpioN Era, Mahindra after sales service (ASS) for the Alturas was premium and top class. But after the deluge of these best-selling SUVs, ASS has taken a solid beating.
So do think about ASS also.
Hope these experiences help!
ColAjayDrives is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 16:33   #579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColAjayDrives View Post
Hi

Hope these experiences help!
Thanks Col. The G4 has gotten sold by the dealer. I was negotiating midway with an agreement to check with the A.S.S on the service history. So the search continues for now
Old 22nd September 2022, 08:06   #580
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra Alturas 4X2 high variant launch soon, 4×4 discontinued.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 10:31   #581
cka
BHPian

I had discussion with Salesman and he has said that production has already started of 2WD High variant and deliveries will start soon. Discount is in range of 2 lakh Rs. Looks like a re-attempt by Mahindra to take a shot at premium space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Mahindra Alturas 4X2 high variant launch soon, 4×4 discontinued.

Link
cka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 20:30   #582
BHPian

Went to a Mahindra showroom and saw a new 2WD G4, which has just been launched. The 4WD has been stopped and only the 2WD will be sold, with all the features of the erstwhile 4WD. Only 3 colours will be available going forward- white, black and a darker blue ( don’t know the exact colour names ).
Old 24th September 2022, 00:19   #583
cka
BHPian

Attaching the brochure from mahindra website. Seems like the website got updated today as this wasn't there when I was searching yesterday
cka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2022, 08:39   #584

Hello everyone

I own an Alturas G4 4wd, purchased july 2021 and drove 15k plus till date. Its a wonderful suv on road however I had few of the issues which I would like to mention :-

1. DEF problem - At around 13 k km an error popped out all of a sudden 'CHECK UREA SOLUTION'. I took it to service centre where they checked and replaced urea injector. After driving for just 1000 more km the error reappeared and this time they changed the DEF pump and assembly, drove only 1000 km more and keeping my fingers crossed.

2. Spares- while my car was waiting for urea injector I chose to keep on driving it on road as it had around 700 km till engine won't start error to come into place, a roadways bus rogered my rear bumper from one side, now I had to deposit my car to service centre then and it took 6 weeks plus for them to arrange the parts. I had to tweet even Anand Mahindra sir and had to make lots of noise to get Mahindra's attention onto this matter. So yes spares availability is a problem.
Although I have purchased extended warranty for 4th and 5th year and my plan is to keep vehicle till its warranty lasts as its parts are very expensive and might check your patience.

MOD NOTE : You are requested to please go through Posting Etiquettes before creating a new post and adhere to posting guidelines suggested there.
Thanks.

Last edited by Sheel : 25th September 2022 at 09:18. Reason: MOD NOTE ATTACHED.
Rohit Singh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 17:22   #585

Does it make sense to buy a 2019 alturas G4 in 2023?
4x4 Costing 21L (can get it down hopefully!).
Was looking at endeavours, but costs are skyrocket high!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks