Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2017, 16:55   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30

Note: Team BHP's drive reports on the Mahindra Alturas G4 can be read here and here.

Mahindra to rival Toyota's Fortuner!

Quote:
The big news is that the Y400 will be launched as a Mahindra and not a Ssangyong. It will replace the current Rexton and effectively mark the end of the Mahindra-owned Ssangyong brand in India
Indian version of the next-gen SsangYong Rexton (Y400) will be heavily localised and badged a Mahindra; Ssangyong brand to be dropped.

SsangYong LIV-2 concept at the Paris Motor show!
The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-0_468_700_http___cdni_autocarindia_com_extraimages_20170103035055_indiax.jpg

Quote:
This all-new SUV is, in fact, the next-generation Rexton (codename Y400) and the production version of the LIV-2 concept that was showcased at last year’s Paris motor show. The 4.85m long, 1.96m wide and 1.8m high LIV-2 concept indicates that the production Y400 will be a full-size, seven-seat SUV pitted head-on against Fortuner and Endeavour. The Y400 will be built on a new-generation body-on-frame chassis that’s also designed to underpin a Ssangyong crew-cab pick-up (codename Q300) to rival the Ford Ranger and the Toyota Hilux in international markets.
Quote:
The Y400’s 2865mm wheelbase is a substantial 120mm more than the Fortuner’s, which potentially could give it far better interior space. M&M also hopes to get an edge over its more established rivals by equipping the Y400 with best-in-class equipment
Quote:
With new safety regulations coming into play from April 1, 2017, the complement of nine airbags as seen in the LIV-2 and an advanced emergency braking system are possible options on top Y400 variants.
Quote:
Power will come from a choice of petrol and diesel engines that are future-ready to meet the 2020 BS VI emission norms. The 2.0-litre GDi turbocharged petrol engine boasts 225hp and 349Nm, mated to either a six-speed automatic or a six-speed manual gearbox. The 2.2-litre turbodiesel develops 184hp and 420Nm through a six-speed manual or seven-speed automatic gearbox. For India, however, it is only the diesel that will be offered initially.
Link

Last edited by Aditya : 27th January 2019 at 17:09. Reason: Adding link to our report. Thanks.
volkman10 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 17:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: SsangYong Rexton (Y400) to be sold as Mahindra Alturas G4 in India

This one looks quite promising and if the localised content is very high then one can expect aggressive pricing. Given that the XUV tops out at 18.xx lakhs, a starting price of 21.xx for this will really set the cat amongst the pegions. However, the crux will be how Mahindra A.S.S. support it. The Rexton was/is a nightmare in this department.
himanshugoswami is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 18:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

The one below shows the design better. Hope the 3rd row will not feel claustrophobic like Santa Fe
Attached Thumbnails
The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-y400.jpg  

srishiva is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 18:44   #4
BHPian

This does look promising, I think branding it as Mahindra is probably a smart move.
I think the level of localization will be critical here for Mahindra to price it aggressively against the the big daddies - Fortuner and Endeavour.
Will be interesting to see if Mahindra can successfully break into the luxury SUV segment!
abhii176 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 18:55   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhii176 View Post
Will be interesting to see if Mahindra can successfully break into the luxury SUV segment!
Quite frankly can anyone imagine paying luxury car prices for Mahindra or for that matter Tata.

Better thing would be solidify their position in the segment they are with more products so that even if cannibalism occurs it happens within brand rather than customer going elsewhere. In my view there is a space for more mature SUV priced between Scorpio & XUV500.

In this regard I would suggest Mahindra takes a leaf out of Maruti playbook, they have in less than 8 lakh category so many car models overlapping price bracket.
heydj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 18:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

This looks much like an Elantra competitor than a Fortuner. No side windows for the third row of passengers .
Then they better provide vomit bags as an added accessory for those poor 3rd row passengers.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 19:08   #7
BHPian

Honestly this feels more like a competitor to the Hexa than the Fortuner. The front reminds me of the new Endeavor though.
Old 3rd January 2017, 20:05   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Localizing the version is a great thought! When Mahindra says "class leading equipment" is when I'll think twice. The owners of the initial batches will be the guinea pigs to sort all the problems. Anyway, I am happy that Mahindra wants to try their hands in a segment crowned by Toyota. A proper VFM offering can bring them "Fortune". I remember everyone having fun just a day before XUV's launch; 48 hours later, they force closed the bookings.

Let's get it - there are a whole bunch who believes that Toyota has been charging quite a hefty premium. If Mahindra can offer a decent product at 5L lesser, why not! Those who own an XUV and happy with it will definitely look at this option.

Last edited by Eddy : 3rd January 2017 at 22:45.
swiftnfurious is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 20:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
No side windows for the third row of passengers .
Wonder if it was designed as a 5 seater. Then localisation (of thought and implementation = juggadry) added 2 more seats.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 20:23   #10
BHPian

Mahindra has its own issues with getting things right in the first go. But if they can get this localised and learn from the user issues with XUV, this can make for a very good value proposition. It still may not conquer the all awesome Fortuner, but you have to aim for the moon to at least reach the stars. And Mahindra could possibly, with proper R&D and sorting all issues during test phase, have a winner on their hands with this. I like how this looks and it is masculine too.

Last edited by GTO : 4th January 2017 at 11:41. Reason: Typo
Old 3rd January 2017, 20:53   #11
BHPian

I think Mahindra should do a NEXA here.

SsangYong. the brand had Chinese written all over it. People were alien to this brand along with its high price. Couldn't make decent numbers.

I think, Mahindra should make an exclusive brand/outlet like NEXA and sell the XUV and this SUV (perhaps all its premium offerings: e2O & next Xylo replacement) from this brand/showroom. Also should get rid of the name Mahindra from the car, if they are keeping the monogram.

Reason: I have seen people being image/status conscious when they think of buying a Mahindra. And later abstaining from buying a car from their stable.

Also heard, an exclusive showroom for Mojo sometime before, why not for a more profitable venture like big SUVs? I think a more exclusive/ extravagant brand can serve both of their premium 2-wheelers and 4-wheelers. Unlike MS and NEXA, Mahindra sells Mahindra Bolero/pickup (Tractor! as well) and the 20+Lacs XUV.
What say?

Last edited by shree_shell : 3rd January 2017 at 20:57. Reason: typos- hologram lol!
shree_shell is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 21:20   #12
BHPian

I am really starting to like Mahindra's corporate strategy. I hope they are able to leverage Ssangyong in APAC market and Mahindra branded Ssangyong in non-APAC. Combine this low-mid range market strategy with a premium end Pinnifarina sports/electric car and Mahindra could very well have a Tata-RR-Jaguar in their hands.
Old 3rd January 2017, 21:45   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Localizing the version is a great thought! When Mahindra says "class leading equipment" is when I'll think twice. The owners of the initial batches will be the guinea pigs to sort all the problems.
If, M&M stamps its name on a Ssangyong product and launches it, I think I won't worry about quality.

I would rather worry about parts and service aspects. If they can work that out, they have a market to themselves. XUV/Hexa end at ~20L or Scorpio/Storme with 4X4 at 16/17L. Proper 4X4 variants of Toyota & other manufacturers start at 30L. There is a market for SUV's under 23/24. Over that, one would jump to the other established players IMO.
Sheel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 21:58   #14
BHPian

Mahindra is known for making jugaad products like Quanto and Verito Vibe. I wonder how this SUV will be altered for the Indian market. If its only badge engineering, there should not be a problem except the service network. But if its going to be Made for India tailoring of the product then we might see another flagship product that may not sell well.
Mahindra and Mahindra knows how to project their SUVs in the market for the targeted mass. This will be interesting launch.
Old 4th January 2017, 11:45   #15
BHPian

I just hope that when they say fortuner rival, its not just in terms of the price for the vehicle, but the reliability and capability as well. Something which is a walk ahead of the XUV and not a step back
centaur is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed