Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2017, 19:49   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

re: SsangYong Rexton (Y400) to be sold as Mahindra Alturas G4 in India

A detailed look at the upcoming G4 Rexton (Y400), which will be sold in India under the Mahindra banner (could be named XUV700) as a future Toyota Fortuner rival.

RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th May 2017, 20:31   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Wonder if it was designed as a 5 seater. Then localisation (of thought and implementation = juggadry) added 2 more seats.

Regards
Sutripta
I seriously don't understand the obsession with 7 seater vehicles. How often do 7 people actually travel in the same vehicle. Even if I did buy a vehicle with 7 seats, I remove the rear 2 seats for a bigger boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shree_shell View Post
I think Mahindra should do a NEXA here.
They should use the name REXTON as a sub brand like NEXA.

[/quote]SsangYong. the brand had Chinese written all over it. People were alien to this brand along with its high price. [/quote]
Ssangyong is a Korean brand.
Couldn't make decent numbers.

Quote:
Also should get rid of the name Mahindra from the car, if they are keeping the monogram.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
I just hope that when they say fortuner rival, its not just in terms of the price for the vehicle, but the reliability and capability as well. Something which is a walk ahead of the XUV and not a step back
The old Rexton was priced quite competitively. Looked a bit odd but was well built. It still failed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This is the right way forward. SsangYong has no brand value to speak of in India.
I don't think it had any brand value anywhere outside Korea. I have only seen a few Ssangyong's in Singapore and UK.

Quote:
Besides, the troublesome Rexton actually left it with negative equity here.

Mahindra should definitely work on the reliability & after-sales support though. The Rexton was / is a nightmare to own.
The main issue was the Automatic gearbox from what I've read. Any other issues?
Most dealers don't stock parts so accident repair is always an issue with the Rexton.
Old 22nd May 2017, 10:18   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

NDTV Auto's SVP has plenty of good things to say about the G4 Rexton (aka Mahindra XUV700).

Quote:
What is also great about the car’s looks, is that unlike past SsangYongs which had this quirky, Korean feel to their design, this one is very international, and the car immediately gives off a better finish and build quality too. The shut lines and paint job on the Y400 instantly impress.

The unit makes 183 bhp and puts out 420 Nm of peak torque. That torque kicks in as low as 1600 rpm and carries through to 2600 rpm. This affords you better driveability and allows the Mercedes-Benz sourced 7-speed auto transmission to be efficient and responsive. Even within minutes of getting behind the wheel of this car – the difference is like chalk and cheese. The first generation Rexton had managed to get reasonably refined, but still carried a lot of the clunky feel ascribed to previous generation SUVs. What’s really nice is to see is that everything that was lacking on that car seems to have been methodically addressed whilst developing the new generation.

At cruising speeds, the new Rexton will simply glide along the tarmac, and will again surprise you by its lack of pitch or roll. The fact that there is no bounce improves on-board comfort, and also means tighter cornering as well as better steering response. You definitely do not get a sense of the car’s bulk or its 4850 mm length, unlike how you would on say a Fortuner – which is shorter at 4795 mm and yet feels bulkier. The 2.2 diesel engine is good for the role, and does the job well. This despite the fact that it really is simply an upgraded version of the previous one. It has overcome the slightly wheezy quality that it used to have on that last Rexton W, and also does not run of breath at speeds over 120 kmph. The Rexton has the 4Tronic four-wheel drive system – another carryover from the Rexton W, but completely recalibrated.
The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-newssangyongrexton_827x510_51495416663.jpg

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-newssangyongrexton_827x510_61495417585.jpg

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-newssangyongrexton_827x510_81495416241.jpg

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-newssangyongrexton_827x510_71495417540.jpg

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-newssangyongrexton_827x510_41495417665.jpg

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-newssangyongrexton_827x510_41495416315.jpg

Full review at NDTV Auto
RavenAvi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 11:31   #34
BANNED

Here is ACI first drive review:-

scarlet.fever is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 12:08   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
I seriously don't understand the obsession with 7 seater vehicles. How often do 7 people actually travel in the same vehicle. Even if I did buy a vehicle with 7 seats, I remove the rear 2 seats for a bigger boot.
Not really true Pedro. I have a XUV and IMHO the best part of owning it is the +2 seats. The invites I used to receive from my folks for social functions more than tripled after I bought it. Not because everyone wants to hike a free ride, but because there are several people who love to arrive in a grand function along with their family members / friends. Therefor, the best part of owning a 7-seater is, these cars come gossip-equipped .

The XUV is of course, not a 7-seater tourer due to its limited boot space with all seats up.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 22nd May 2017 at 12:10.
sandeepmdas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2017, 17:53   #36
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Mahindra to launch next-gen Rexton in 2018

According to a media report, Mahindra will launch the next-generation SsangYong Rexton in India in 2018. The SUV is expected to reach showrooms during the festive season of the year.

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-ssangyongrexton2018160001.jpg

According to Rajan Wadhera, President - R&D and Global Product Development (Automotive Sector) at Mahindra, the G4 Rexton has got the green light for launch in India. He also indicated that the new vehicle could wear the Mahindra badge.

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-ssangyongrexton2018160003.jpg

The report also states that the new Rexton will be locally assembled. While the body will be put together in India, the powertrain and body panels will be imported from Korea. In international markets, the Rexton is powered by a 2.2-litre, 4-cylinder diesel engine, which produces 179 BHP @ 4,000 rpm and peak torque of 400 Nm @ 1,400-2,800 rpm (420 Nm @ 1,600-2,600 rpm for AT).

The Rexton will compete against Toyota Fortuner and Ford Endeavour in India.

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-ssangyongrexton2018160004.jpg
The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-rexton.jpg

Source: Autocar
TusharK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th September 2017, 18:37   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Mahindra to launch next-gen Rexton in 2018

• The rear 3/4 in side profile looks strikingly like the SantaFe which is now on life support.
  • I did NOT like the stitching pattern in the fabric/leather inserts in the door panels at all. Looks like traditional Indian home-made blanket! I love it, but only when I'm tucking in for the night. Not in a car...
  • The face is handsome. Loved it. One of the better done jobs. So much better than the current one that just gets lost.
  • Side profile...Do the wheel arch flairs remind of the good old HM Ambassador anyone? Or its just me? They aren't going well with the car's persona either IMO.

Last edited by Reinhard : 15th September 2017 at 18:41.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2017, 21:34   #38
BHPian

This seems like a really excellent option to the Endeavour & Fortuner . However reliability on Mahindra & Mahindra still is an issue & one of my main concern is how much dilution in quality occurs on Rexton on its trip from South Korea to India as it becomes a Mahindra .

Last edited by drift2race : 15th September 2017 at 21:42.
drift2race is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2017, 22:12   #39
BHPian

IMHO there isn't clear room over and above the XUV for Mahindra to price this. I would rather have them bring this as a successor to XUV at marginally higher prices than the current levels. Getting people away from a Toyota and that too a strong brand as Fortuner would take some doing. People who buy an Endeavour also very clearly know what they want and I doubt whether they will settle for a softer Mahindra. They should aim at consolidating their position against the likes of Hexa and Compass.
octane_100 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2017, 12:56   #40
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra managed to sell only 146 units of the earlier Rexton in the whole of 2016. That, when they projected SsanYong as a premium badge, above their own brand.

With the new one, their strategy seems to be selling it as a Mahindra, with more features and a little cheaper than a Fortuner.

If Autocar's understanding of Pawan Goenka's hints is correct, then the new 'Mahindra' Rexton would be 3-4 lakhs cheaper than the Fortuner.

In my opinion, that is not enough for a Fortuner buyer to get pulled away to a Mahindra. The Fortuner's better resale value shall be able recover that much amount.

If at all, Mahindra has made up their mind to launch it, they should concentrate on convincing existing / prospective XUV buyers to stay with the brand and upgrade to the Rexton.
ashutoshb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2017, 13:04   #41
Senior - BHPian

Well the question is if they are launching it under Mahindra brand, then will they convert that sober looking front grill into a bunny tooth typical mahindra grill?

Last edited by GTO : 17th September 2017 at 14:32. Reason: punctuation
tushky is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2017, 13:32   #42
Senior - BHPian

Launching it as a higher model Mahindra is a better idea. Read somewhere they plan to badge it as the XUV700/900. There were hardly any takers for the SsangYong brand, especially at the premium end. This new one is definitely pleasing to the eyes.

Last edited by GTO : 17th September 2017 at 14:33. Reason: Language
bigron is offline   Received Infraction
Old 16th September 2017, 13:35   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
IMHO there isn't clear room over and above the XUV for Mahindra to price this. I would rather have them bring this as a successor to XUV at marginally higher prices than the current levels. Getting people away from a Toyota and that too a strong brand as Fortuner would take some doing. People who buy an Endeavour also very clearly know what they want and I doubt whether they will settle for a softer Mahindra. They should aim at consolidating their position against the likes of Hexa and Compass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
.......With the new one, their strategy seems to be selling it as a Mahindra, with more features and a little cheaper than a Fortuner.

If Autocar's understanding of Pawan Goenka's hints is correct, then the new 'Mahindra' Rexton would be 3-4 lakhs cheaper than the Fortuner.
In my opinion, that is not enough for a Fortuner buyer to get pulled away to a Mahindra. The Fortuner's better resale value shall be able recover that much amount.

If at all, Mahindra has made up their mind to launch it, they should concentrate on convincing existing / prospective XUV buyers to stay with the brand and upgrade to the Rexton.
I completely agree with the two of you that trying to position the Rexton against the Fortuner or the Endeavour is fraught with risks.

Instead, as octane_100 has suggested, the Rexton should be positioned as a successor to the XUV, albeit at a higher cost.

But having said Mahindra has invested so much in branding the XUVthat it might not be may not make economic sense to re-christian the XUV as Rexton.
Zezé is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2017, 00:45   #44
Senior - BHPian

The interior seems to be inspired by a lot of luxury cars but in a good way; the tweeter grilles, faux/real wood, metal inserts/finish, quilted leather, switches, shape of the steering etc. I must say WOW! Good thing Mahindra is selling this as a Mahindra and not a SsangYong I mean no offense to the brand and it probably sounds a lot simpler in Korean but to the rest of the world that is just a hideously quirky name not one that could possible be associated with a premium brand. Looking forward to this car though with that interior I guess this should do a LOT better than what we have seen of the Rexton so far.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2017, 05:11   #45
BHPian

I would prefer the XUV over this. XUV looks much better, is more aggressive and a perfect SUV.

I hardly think that people would prefer this over the XUV, but competing this against Fortuner and Endeavour is just suicide. Mahindra should rather work on taking cues from this and improving the XUV.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks