Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2018, 18:00   #226
BHPian

Re: SsangYong Rexton (Y400) to be sold as Mahindra Alturas G4 in India

First impression by PowerDrift. The reviewer says "there is a tremendous amount of bodyroll" as was seen in one of the spy videos.

Last edited by theredliner : 24th November 2018 at 18:04.
theredliner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2018, 21:37   #227
Distinguished - BHPian

Prices have been announced for Mahindra Alturas G4.

-₹ 26.95 lakhs ( 2WD)

- ₹ 29.95 lakhs (4WD)

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-2.jpg

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-dsxr70nuwaey4t6.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 24th November 2018 at 21:49.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th November 2018, 21:46   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

SsangYong Rexton (Y400) to be sold as Mahindra Alturas G4 in India

Alturas will find it hard to compete with the Fortuner at this price. Fortuner 4X4 Auto is priced at 32.97 and might even have some year end offers on top. I find it hard to imagine why someone would try to save a couple of lakhs and take a bet on a SSangyong when the Fortuner offers nearly everything plus bullet proof reliability and fantastic resale value.

Last edited by manson : 26th November 2018 at 15:03. Reason: Typo.
84.monsoon is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th November 2018, 21:51   #229
R_R
BHPian

Mahindra is apparently only targeting on getting 10% of the market share, but even that I am not sure at these prices, which I think is a couple of lakhs too high. Maybe they expect the 2WD will bring in the volumes.
Old 24th November 2018, 21:54   #230
Team-BHP Support

26.95L (2WD)

29.95L (4WD)

Nopes, I don't think its going anywhere at these prices - even if the car is extemely competent like the Endeavour, people will still prefer to pay extra for the Fortuner!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th November 2018, 22:04   #231
BHPian

Ambitious pricing by Mahindra. Would be difficult to lure buyers in this price segment away from the Fortuners and Endeavours, with only a couple of lakhs difference.
nvldvr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2018, 22:07   #232
BHPian

This is not undercutting by much. They do have more features to offer though.

Alturas G2: 26.95
Alturas G4: 29.95

Fortuner 4x2: 31.07
Fortuner 4x4: 32.97

Endeavour Trend 4x2: 26.32
Endeavour Titanium 4x2: 30.27
Endeavour Titanium 4x4: 32.81
suku_patel_22 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th November 2018, 22:17   #233
Senior - BHPian

Nobody would like to save 2 odd lakhs on this and skip the Fortuner. You can give as many features as you want but if you don't have the image you are going to find it hard to move out the showroom floor.
Peace of ownership is placed much higher compared to features and creature comforts.
I applaud them for bringing in variety and great features to the segment but at that price it seems like an uphill task.

Last edited by manson : 26th November 2018 at 15:05. Reason: Typo.
bigron is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th November 2018, 22:18   #234
BHPian

If Isuzu hopes to sell the MuX at similar prices, I don't see why Mahindra cannot do so with a far more contemporary product. It's genuine effort and I feel it's a fair price for what is on offer. I think the 2wd will do well at this price. Its far better equipped than others at that price point.
SCORPION is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th November 2018, 22:31   #235
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
If Isuzu hopes to sell the MuX at similar prices, I don't see why Mahindra cannot do so with a far more contemporary product.
And did Isuzu succeed?

Forget Isuzu, Ford is trying with an even more contemporary product - and even they have to be contend with a much smaller marketshare than the Toyota.

Mahindra may need to fight it out with Ford for an even smaller pie from their share.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th November 2018, 22:40   #236
Team-BHP Support

re: The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30

With the amount of kit on offer, it was pretty clear there would be no sticker shock. They have managed to undercut the ford and Toyota by 2-3 lakhs but in this segment that amount is really small especially when brand also plays a role.

Personally, I don’t expect to see a lot of these on the roads.
Vid6639 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 24th November 2018, 23:10   #237
BHPian

I feel this is a very good attempt by Mahindra to bring premium feeling product at a reasonable price. Even if it's Ssangyong, you got to give the credit to Mahindra to keep the brand Ssangyong Alive. I like the interiors and LOVE that dashboard design. Doesn't look like it comes from a brand that makes Bolero.

Honestly, I'm bored seeing so many Fortuners and Endeavours on the road and won't even go for any of them if I were to buy one. I'm sure, Alturas will find buyers who're looking for some premium (and uniqueness) feel. If XUV5OO can sell, and when they managed to sell the old Rexton in decent numbers, why not the Alturas?

Whether Alturas sells or not, it will serve as a platform for Mahindra to improve their brand value for their upcoming launch.
viren83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2018, 23:25   #238
BHPian

Frankly Mahindra won't be losing much even if the product doesn't sell as well as anticipated as its a CKD kit assembled locally, they haven't set up an entire production line for the Alturas, if its a success however, and they can start localising elements I hope they can drop the price and get even more competitive.
HillyThar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th November 2018, 23:36   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
Nobody would like to save 2 odd lakhs on this and skip the Fortuner. You can give as many features as you want but if you dont have the image you going to find it hard to move out the showroom floor.
Peace of ownership is placed much higher compared to features and creature comforts.
I applaud them for bringing in variety and great features to the segment but at that price it seems like an uphill task.

Mahindra has always played its card with value for money (VFM) proposition.
Starting with Scorpio against Safari,
Followed by XUV500 creating a segment of its own,
And now again a value for money feature loaded car 3 lakhs cheaper than its closest rival Fortuner and offering a long list of features Fortuner will take ages to get.

Talking of peace of ownership, Toyota is already charging a premium for its brand value. While its still unclear how Mahindra will handle its premium customers. The fact is that Alturas is essentially a Ssangyong under Mahindra skin, while the skepticism is attached with Mahindra brand.

I have seen a few reviews lauding the quality of Alturas, and even surpassing Fortuner and Endeavour. The typical Mahindra trait of offering low quality (but feature rich) as VFM is irrelevant in this case. Indeed the prices seem to clash with Fortuner's territory. The fact that this time, these loaded features come with quality (better than Toyota's - I've seen the car during preview) ought to scale that brand value wall and steal some customers from Fortuner. Also, XUV owners looking for an upgrade should definitely go for Alturas as they already have that VFM association with Mahindra, against Toyota charging premium for brand value.

Lets see where this goes from now, but I really hope Alturas does well.

Mod Note : Please do NOT use acronyms (e.g. ANHC, T-Fort, ANHV) when referring to cars. You are ONLY permitted to use the full Make & Model name for cars. This will make our content useful, searchable & easy-to-understand for experts & newbies alike.

Thanks!

Last edited by Aditya : 25th November 2018 at 16:51. Reason: See mod note
shaktithakran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 00:16   #240
BHPian

It seems a no brainer to me that neither the Ssangyong nor the Mahindra brand command enough brand value to launch a competing product at a price point at which the very capable and popular Endeavour has failed to make a dent.
nainan is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks