Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2018, 04:28   #241

Very disappointed with the pricing. Was looking forward to this launch. At this price point it doesn't make sense to go for a Mahindra. Product is contemporary, no doubt, but when someone is spending 30+, badge is important.
kirren07 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 05:28   #242
Senior - BHPian

re: The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30

Oh well 30 big one's for a Mahindra? This is going to be a sales dud right from the beginning but as someone said earlier, Mahindra may not lose too much money as its a CKD and all they have done is add a new Mahindra grille and the front and that hilariously big Alturus badging at the rear.

Last edited by manson : 26th November 2018 at 15:08. Reason: Typo.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 07:06   #243
BHPian

You want high resale, get the Fortuner. You want best buck for your money, get the Endeavour. Alturas doesn't stand a chance at this price point.
Honestly after getting to know how good Tata Hexa AT is and a long TD of it, I can't think of any reason for one to shell out 10 big ones more for one of these cars. Hexa AT is the best 7 seater AT SUV to drive this side of Kodiak. GTO has said in the Hexa thread that it has got best ride this side of 1cr and that engine + gearbox combo is S-W-E-E-T. If I was in the market for a 7 seater SUV with 35L cash , I would buy the Hexa AT and get a bigger touchscreen, a sunroof and showoff it's AT and performance in front of my friends who owned these SUVs.
itsashishsharma is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 07:19   #244
Senior - BHPian

I had a detailed look at the Alturas yesterday.
First impressions are good, the SUV has presence.

- It is well built, interiors are of good quality including the switchgear except on the steering wheel.
- Brushed aluminium switched on the console and on the door are of excellent quality.
- Ventilated seats work well
- Indicators are on the left hand side and wipers on the right, like Euro-centric cars
- Space in the front and rear rows is excellent. - No Adult can sit comfortably in the third row, zero under-thigh support, it is pretty much useless
- Comes with automated rear hatch with smart sensor, hatch opens on its own if you stand near the hatch with keys in your pocket for 5-10secs
- Projectors for low beam, HID for high beam and LED for fog lamps.
- 360 degree camera works well. You can choose the camera display on the screen.
- Seats are of excellent quality of Leather. 2WD will have Black and Grey combination, 4WD to have Black and Tan.
- Not impressed by the plastic quality in the boot area with all seats up.
- No auto dimming IRVM in a 30L car
- A panaromic sunroof would have been a better option for this car.
- Steering adjustment is manual with both telescopic and tilt, has a decent range.
- Driver seat is power operated with memory function and with healthy range, easy to find a comfortable driving position
- Switch to select the drive mode, electric parking brake and auto hold felt good.
- The color screen in the instrument console is good, didnt fiddle much with it and on the music system.
- Test drive should start by end of next week

On the pricing front, Mahindra should have undercut it by at least 4-5 lakhs. It will not shake the segment leader, but will have its own customers. Mahindra has done a great job bringing it here, but will be tough to see good numbers.

Will I buy? I will wait for the Ford Endeavour facelift in 2019 before taking a call.

Received the brochure from the Sales Manager.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AlturasG4-brochure.pdf (3.79 MB, 576 views)

Last edited by ampere : 25th November 2018 at 14:40. Reason: typo fixed
speedmiester is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 08:23   #245
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Oh well 30 big one's for a Mahindra?
Near 40 onroad in Bangalore!

Thats quite a big ask - but a friend of mine had booked one AND he is going ahead with the purchase. I'm a bit surprised at his decision - but he got a preview of the vehicle and seems to believe it's worth it.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 08:45   #246
KMT
BHPian

For only a small premium one can get a Toyota or Ford. Will be interesting to see who the target market for this is.

I too feel it is overpriced by Rs 3-4 Lakhs.
KMT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 09:44   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Near 40 onroad in Bangalore!

That's quite a big ask - but a friend of mine had booked one AND he is going ahead with the purchase. I'm a bit surprised at his decision - but he got a preview of the vehicle and seems to believe it's worth it.
Me too from BLR. Had pre-booked it, but given the OTR price, thinking of canceling it. T-Fort seems to be a better bet if am shelling that kinda cash. To me, after sales service is very important. Ford service is pathetic, which prevented me from biting the Endy bullet. I was hoping Alturas would succeed and get the volumes for the service to be top notch. Am still hoping it happens. But for now, am not giving my hard earned bucks to Mahindra for this one. Been loyal enough to buy 2 XUVs. That's where it stops, I guess.
sk7671 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 10:28   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
On the pricing front, Mahindra should have undercut it by at least 4-5 lakhs.
Actually it is undercutting the leader by 4-5 lakhs, the 4X2 G2 variant.
Quote:
Alturas > Fortuner > Difference > On Road Diff (appx)
26.95 > 31.07 > 4.12 > 4.74
29.95 > 32.97 > 3.02 > 3.47
We don't know the breakup of 4X2 vs 4X4 sales, if 4X2 is the major chunk I think Mahindra has a chance and I don't think Mahindra could have priced it any lower given negligible localization.

Last edited by S.MJet : 25th November 2018 at 10:29.
S.MJet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 11:02   #249
BHPian

Looking at the price and considering its CKD assembled it seems Mahindra is going for profits instead of volumes and will be happy with under 500 monthly sales. This also means they will not invest much in Marketing or Service Centers/Technician training and Spares inventory which translates into a potential customer looking at long spare wait and repair times.

But I think even that will be difficult for Mahindra as the costlier Fortuner will more than make up for higher sales price by fetching far higher resale price when compared with Mahindra Alturas. When resale is factored in, it seems Mahindra Alturas is expensive than Fortuner and we are not even talking of the reliability/build factor that is still unproven for Mahindra Alturas.

Mahindra management would know this for sure and thats the reason they are going for CKD route rather than investing in supply chain here.

We also need to think of a scenario when Tata H7X is introduced and Isuzu is forced to bring in their current international spec engine (may happen by Q2 2019 now) to their recent upgrade. What it will do to the Alturas sales, given the way its priced now? How many people will buy it then?
JKBKS is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 11:10   #250
GTO
Team-BHP Support

No chance this product is going to move. Mahindra is punching above its weight. I think Mahindra has done an "Aria" here. Features didn't help the Aria and they certainly won't help the Alturas G4.

A handful of lakhs in savings doesn't make a difference to customers in this segment. What they don't want to hear is "you spent 35 lakhs on a Mahindra " from friends & family.

Plus, that small difference in pricing will be easily made up (if not more) at the time of resale.

Note to potential buyers: Many previous-gen Rexton owners were fed up with its poor reliability & scarce part availability. Tread cautiously.
GTO is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 13:30   #251
BHPian

Most of the reviews are pointing to poor ride and handling. This will be enough for many people to walk away.
JediKnight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 14:37   #252
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Just saw this review on Rushlane. Sounds very much like a paid advertisement.

https://www.rushlane.com/amp/mahindr...-12288215.html

Quote:
If Mahindra and their dealers are to be believed, the pre-booking numbers are through the roof. Mahindra is almost confident that the Alturas will dethrone Toyota Fortuner from its perch.
MAS is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 14:53   #253
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

I have a feeling this vehicle is going to surprise us pleasantly. About time, in my opinion, that the vastly overpriced Toyota Fortuner was de throned. Toyota is guilty like the blazes of severe over pricing and profiteering in the India market. I don’t appreciate having to pay so much more in India for the same vehicles which are priced at around half, in the neighbouring countries themselves.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 15:05   #254
BHPian

Just got a call form a dealer asking me to come in and test drive. I doubt this car is going anywhere at all. Way, way overpriced.
Old 25th November 2018, 17:55   #255
BHPian

Re: SsangYong Rexton (Y400) to be sold as Mahindra Alturas G4 in India - Launched at 26.95l

First Look

Had a chance to see the G4 in flesh at Koncept Mahindra, South Delhi.

Exteriors:The car is HUGE. Street presence is immediately imposing and the raised bonnet gives the SUV a lot of meat in the front view. Even the 18" wheels look a size too small for the behemoth that this is. The side is plain jane and the entire bulk looks well raised and the car sits with a solidly planted inertia that reminds me of a hunky character that the Chevy Trailblazer exuded. This is a full size seven seater and one size plus over the XUV 500. The badge engineering with the Mahindra is a good move for the market perception, but I personally prefer the Ssangyong grill to the Mahindra's.

Interiors: The first feeling that you get when you get into the cabin is a visible -game up- from the earlier Mahindra flagship. The seat moves back as you open the door for easy ingress. The tan 'napa leather' stitched treatment while making it strikingly different from any other interior in the competition,personally for me was not to my taste. The knurled knobs and buttons do show definite quality upgrade. Some plastic bits are hard and the top of the dashboard somehow gets a step motherly treatment with hard top plastic. Steering doesn't gel with the rest of the dash design language and looks as if its been lifted off from some other Mahindra. I found a lot many small tweeter sounds and bells and dings and chimes- a little irritating for me personally.

The driver seat is well bolstered and is a nice place to be. Head room is just right for me (at 6 feet) because the sun roof contraption reduces the available headroom. The sunroof is just above the front row and is wide, but not panoramic.Second row is also spacious and was comfortable with good thigh support. The doors are solid and close heavy with a nice thud. At first encounter, I found the overall build quality to be solid. The third row is an excuse. You can't put your kids there, they will never talk to you again.Its a dark place thanks to the small peep hole you get for a window. You can probably cram people you don't love or distant relatives back there and forget about them. With all rows up there is no space for luggage in the boot. The tail gate opens automatically at the push of a button and apparently can open if you lurk around there for 3seconds (couldn't try that feature though)

Test drives would be available only a few days later and Im curious to see how this SUV drives. The sales folk were kind enough to share a marketing comparo between the competition which I've attached below.

Overall, this presents itself as a well built car, and would tick most boxes for those looking for a full size butch SUV. Its a logical upgrade for the XUV owners in every sense. It does offer better quality than any other Mahindra we've seen till date. In that sense it just justify its flagship moniker. How it rides and how reliable it would be is what time would tell. As a CKD unit, spare parts, service costs and parts availability would have to be considered. But Im sure Mahindra would have that sorted out. They are one of the most quick reaction auto manufacturers in the country.

BUT, at this price point, so close to the Fortuner and Endeavour, I cannot convince myself to plonk some figure north of 36 lakhs OTR Delhi on this. This Mahindra will feel the heat of exhaust from that reliable 2.8 and the brutal 3.2.

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-img_9705.jpg

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-img_9698.jpg

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-img_9701.jpg

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-img_9703.jpg

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-img_9691.jpg

[ATTACH=IMG_9718.JPG]1822007[/ATTACH

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-1.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-img_9718.jpg  

Last edited by Aditya : 26th November 2018 at 07:24. Reason: Correcting image orientation
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (19) Thanks

Most Viewed