Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2018, 13:41   #406
BHPian

Re: SsangYong Rexton (Y400) to be sold as Mahindra Alturas G4 in India. EDIT : Launched at 26.95 Lak

Accessories brochure attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AlturasG4-Accessories-brochure.pdf (767.4 KB, 950 views)

Last edited by SDP : 13th December 2018 at 14:13. Reason: Removed broken tag
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 15:27   #407
BHPian

Re: SsangYong Rexton (Y400) to be sold as Mahindra Alturas G4 in India. EDIT : Launched at 26.95 Lak

A look at the installed sidestep accessory

vigneshkumar31 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 21:13   #408
BHPian

Autocar India reports that Mahindra is offering benefits of upto Rs 1 Lakh on the Alturas.
Disclaimer being that the "Offers valid till stocks last or December 31, 2018. Discounts offered likely to vary, based on location and dealer."

Quote:
Mahindra Alturas G4
Save up to Rs 1 lakh
Mahindra’s new flagship SUV is being offered with benefits of up to Rs 1 lakh.
The Alturas is offered in two trim levels with a base 2WD model and a fully-loaded 4WD trim.
Both variants are powered by a 181hp, 2.2-litre diesel engine paired with a Mercedes-sourced 7-speed automatic gearbox as standard.

Disclaimer: Offers valid till stocks last or December 31, 2018. Discounts offered likely to vary, based on location and dealer.
Source: Autocar India

For a vehicle that is just launched, it seems to be a very strange decision by Mahindra to capitulate and start giving discounts so soon.
Will the Alturas now get the desired traction with buyers with a correction of Rs 1 Lakh - only time will tell.

The same article mentions that the Mahindra Marazzo only gets exchange benefits of upto Rs 15,000.

Last edited by Ithaca : 18th December 2018 at 21:18.
Ithaca is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 21:33   #409
BHPian

Not sure if any of the portals have posted a review of the M&M Alturas G4, but here is the zigwheels review

Quote:
Should you buy one?
If you were eyeing the Alturas as a big family road-tripper, or something that’d give you grins when you drive - the lure for the big Mahindra is limited. But, if you want nothing more than to make a statement and be pampered plenty when you’re inside the cabin, the Alturas G4 impresses.
You can read the full first drive review here.
Old 19th December 2018, 08:08   #410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
Accessories brochure attached.
Looks like you are seriously considering the Alturas. I would have too if I was in the market. But based on reviews alone, I understand the G2 is very underspecced and all those nice to have features and some safety ones too are in the G4.

I think, makes sense to wait for a few months, if not a year and pick one up with a solid discount.
Old 19th December 2018, 08:41   #411
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
Autocar India reports that Mahindra is offering benefits of upto Rs 1 Lakh on the Alturas.
Disclaimer being that the "Offers valid till stocks last or December 31, 2018. Discounts offered likely to vary, based on location and dealer."
This is hilarious or brutal depending on what our initial thoughts were on the pricing.
kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 10:44   #412
BHPian

While 216 a month is not stellar, it is enough to not call it a sales disaster. Personally, I didn't expect to sell more than 50 units the first month. And then tapering off and settling at single digit sales. That they were able to find 216 buyers certainly shocked me.

But then there comes the discounts. That they are offering discounts so early points to the fact that they are looking at a possibility of unsold 2018 cars. Which means Mahindra had actually estimated to sell more than the 216 they managed to sell. It would be interesting to know the number they had in mind.
blacksport is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 18:07   #413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Looks like you are seriously considering the Alturas. I would have too if I was in the market. But based on reviews alone, I understand the G2 is very underspecced and all those nice to have features and some safety ones too are in the G4.

I think, makes sense to wait for a few months, if not a year and pick one up with a solid discount.

Yes Narayan, it does tick most boxes for my requirements so was considering it against the 3.2. I was looking only at the G4 variant so that does come fully kitted. In comparison the G2 does lose a lot of kit.

Though as explained before, it may be worth the ask., But at its current pricing it does not swing a buying decision clear in its favour. For me to plonk big bucks so close to the Endy 3.2 is unconvincing.

But then I also wonder and doubt even if they had plonked it smack in the middle of my Darien gap, would have it flown off the shelves?
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 22:00   #414
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I was looking only at the G4 variant so that does come fully kitted. In comparison the G2 does lose a lot of kit.

For me to plonk big bucks so close to the Endy 3.2 is unconvincing.

But then I also wonder and doubt even if they had plonked it smack in the middle of my Darien gap, would have it flown off the shelves?

Have seen few in Gurgaon, a Silver and white, don't know if these were customers cars or demo as they had temporary numbers. The truck has some good road presence and looks as tall or wide as mighty LC- Prado. Interiors and features are top class, that leaves engine and ride. I am away and have not driven so cannot comment, best will be to take multiple test drives and for a longer period perhaps followup immediately with Endeavour. I get a feeling that this won't be a failure like the older generation just because of the way it looks and the loadings, it's huge and luxurious. If it sells in numbers then slowly but surely, Mahindra dealerships will stock the spares, unlike the previous generation.

If the 1 lac discount is indeed correct, then I will suggest you make use. Being a CBU vehicle, Mahindra may reduce the production rather than selling at lower prices later, if that's not the case then better pick 2019 manufactured.
Turbanator is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 13:13   #415
BHPian

Thanks @Turbanator.

I agree with your views on Mahindra strategy, I guess they want to be primarily breaching the glass ceiling and be present in this segment rather than sell volumes of this particular car. And hence the CKD route has been opted for. They want to be seen as Fortuner competitors even though it may not sell that many. Its a capability and brand value demonstration and sets an upper limit within the Mahindra showroom. This way they keep the huge 11 lac wide Darien gap alive and available to plonk future offerings and hope for volumes from those.

Very true. It does have an uncanny resemblance to the Prado and dominates the roadscape with its sheer presence. I have driven the 3.2 multiple times and have managed a single isolated test drive on the G4. Overall I have very few complaints which I can nitpick. And I m willing to look beyond the badge, so wouldn't mind picking up a good product that suits my requirements from any stable at the right price.

Just to clear any dilemma in my head, if I did a hypothetic brand agnostic thought experiment, solely based on my personal requirements, using a middle order Korean badge as common ground...

As an overall package, including build quality, interior quality, ride, features, all considered, this is how the cards stack up.

The Hyundai Alturas kills the HyundaiMU-X in round 1 itself. Mu-X knocked out.

Hyundai CRV was embarrassed of its overpricing vis-a-vis what it offers and didn't even turn up for the fight. CRV walk-over, (lives a life in oblivion, just because of that gem of a gearbox saved its life)

Hyundai Endeavour 3.2 4x4 A/T trumps the Hyundai Alturas G4 4x4 by a small but adequate margin, to a point where the 10% (3.4 lacs extra (OTR delhi without discounts on either)) seems acceptable to pick the Endeavour.

The Hyundai Fortuner 2.8 Sigma 4 AT will finish third for me, and with a premium of 3.8 lacs it demands over the G4 will not be considered, sadly. In its defence, just to clarify, while a 4x4/AWD was considered essential, extreme offroad prowess was not in my personal requirements.

But snapping out from thought bubbles, here back on Mother earth, we will have to buy the badge with the car and that changes many things and brings reality checks into the equation.

This begs the question, then just how much gap should the Alturas put between itself and the Endy to swing it clear for the buyer? Well it depends on personal capacity of the buyer and how much that rupee gap means to him. I have thought about it from my perspective and personally if the G4 sat somewhere lower than the MuX and was the entry into this segment, then it would have made a no brainer decision for me. But its unrealistic, greedy and Mahindra wouldn't do that for the very reasons stated above. and considering that the MUX is CKD too and the kit thats on offer in the G4, I wonder if its even financially possible to price G4 lower.

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-screen-shot-20181220-12.33.03-pm.png

A year later with the BSVI and new launches around the corner, the segment might see some churning. I guess I will wait it out, as theres no immediate hurry.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2018, 23:38   #416
BHPian

The G4 seems to good for 1.towing and 2.snow duties
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2018, 20:42   #417
BHPian

SsangYong Rexton (Y400) to be sold as Mahindra Alturas G4 in India. EDIT : La...

Alturas is a BS6 ready engine . There is a separate thread on this issue . It is also very well known that current non BS6 engines will be around 2-2.5 lakhs expensive when they have to move to a BS6 engine . In this context some brownie points have to be added to the Alturas ( price discussion )

Literally every suv needs to go through the change . With what is happening in delhi for the Diesel engine life span , the writing is in on the wall when we buy a non BS6 engine .

Most of the other suvs are slated to come out with new engines in 2019.

According to me it is a high risk to buy a non BS6 engine today from any other badge

With the industry moving from a petrol/ Diesel engines , we are all may be driving our last Diesel engines available ( probably not sure what resale value we have in next 5-10 years )✌️

Is it worth investing 40 lakhs on one front or should we settle down for a lower risk ( sub 20 lakhs ) is what burning in my head today

Suggestions welcome !!

Last edited by Ranga : 26th December 2018 at 20:48.
Ranga is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th December 2018, 22:02   #418
Distinguished - BHPian

Spent 15 minutes inspecting the G4. Amazing exterior looks, huge and imposing. Seems to be better proportioned than the Endeavour which I find too wide and too stout. Interior was a mixed bag as I found the chrome a bit cheesy and also the glossy plastics in the gearshift area. Pluses were the nice stitching and overall premium effect. Sunroof could have panoramic I feel given the sheer length of the vehicle.

Overall a nice vehicle but I didn't like the interiors and not inclined towards high CG SUVs anyway. Impressed though!
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2018, 13:28   #419
BHPian

The flagship G4 has gone missing from the showroom floor in the Safdarjung showroom which had the car sitting in prime window spot since launch date.

Initially rumoured to get special showrooms and then settled for special zones within the existing showroom the g4 has been moved into oblivion nowhere in sight. It's prime real estate has been bequeathed to the deserving COTY Marazzo

I guess this reflects the market response and the company's proportional reaction and interest in the product. Let's see sales numbers of second month to get a true picture.

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-imageuploadedbyteambhp1546070281.934311.jpg
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 10:23   #420
BHPian

Quoting myself from another thread where I misposted this.

Why did the G4 go cold start?

Quote:

Launched at the fag end of the calendar, we haven't had access to even the second month sales data to arrive at any conclusions, but the market response has been largely cold.

On paper at least it makes a solid case for itself .Superb safety kit, specs matching most of its competition and even trumping some of them. A rich feature list with few segment first goodies thrown in. A large car with oodles of road presence that shoppers in the segment crave. But what went wrong?

The pricing was over ambitious ..and though the price tag might have been what it's worth, it was not construed by market as what it deserved.

The traumatic past with the third gen Rexton was so dark that it even overshadowed Mahindras badge engineer move to get the market to trust it better in its 4th generation iteration.
The after service shenanigans and competence of M&M in handling the old Rexton was dark rumour.

The drive train is an acceptable ssangyong engine and a MB gearbox but nothing to write home about.

Also the mighty Toyota fortuner is like the burning sun of the segment any thing that's within its radius of influence better have its heat shields up and be worthy to compete, else burnout is certain. The full size premium SUV segment is a cramped 5 lacs wide bandwidth in a 40 lakh neighbourhood, so anyone who lands up there has to deal with the suns glare.

Could a more aggressive pricing moved the G4? We can only wonder, because Mahindra might not actually be looking for volume from this CKD SUV, else they would have been more serious in their push.

The G4 is merely Mahindras attendance in the big boys private school.
The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-screen-shot-20190102-3.31.13-pm.png
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed