Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2019, 12:48   #421

Re: SsangYong Rexton (Y400) to be sold as Mahindra Alturas G4 in India. EDIT : Launched at 26.95 Lak

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
Thanks @Turbanator.

|
|

A year later with the BSVI and new launches around the corner, the segment might see some churning. I guess I will wait it out, as theres no immediate hurry.

Hi

I have driven almost 5k kms on Alturas G4. I must admit, sans the badge, purely on the basis of value for money, it's a clear heads up from Fortuner and Endeavour.

I was skeptic at first, I'd already booked the car well ahead of launch and the delivery promised on 26th November, I went ahead. And I'm very happy with the decision.

First off, forget the reviews that talk of ride quality, I reckon there's a clear bias towards Fortuner for the sake of badge. Had the same car been a Toyota, no one would even talk about it and be all gaga. Drove the car to Bikaner, Jaisalmer and Jodhpur, with 5 and loads of luggage. The car felt planted at all times, no one complained of the long long drives of 6-7 hours a day, fatigue - none. I'd rate a few aspects as follows -

Driving pleasure - 8/10
Handling - 9/10 (feels very stable on corners at 120 kmph)
Braking - 10/10 (Emergency brake assist indeed works well, had to hit hard once
Rear seat comfort - 9/10 (recline works wonders)

Fuel efficiency - managed a decent 12.5 kmpl overall (1800 km) cruise speeds 110+ kmph for long stretches
- for about 250 km where drove sane at 80-100 kmph, managed an exciting 14.8 kmpl (jaisalmer - jodhpur)

Also, the service experience at first checkup 1000 km was a clear cut improvement from Mahindra, by leaps (comparing to XUV we own).

To sum up, I'd genuinely recommend the car if you can ignore the brand aspect and go by the value/features it offers.

Happy motoring

Last edited by Zappo : 7th January 2019 at 15:50. Reason: We don't support driving at speeds beyond legal limits on public roads. References taken out.
shaktithakran is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 13:54   #422
Team-BHP Support

Re: SsangYong Rexton (Y400) to be sold as Mahindra Alturas G4 in India. EDIT : Launched at 26.95 Lak

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaktithakran View Post
Handling - 9/10 (feels very stable on corners at 120 kmph)
You are one brave man, cheers .

Last edited by Zappo : 7th January 2019 at 15:52. Reason: The quoted post corrected to reflect the edited original.
Sheel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 16:37   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaktithakran View Post
Hi

I have driven almost 5k kms on Alturas G4. I must admit, sans the badge, purely on the basis of value for money, its a clear heads up from Fortuner and Endeavour.
Firstly, congratulations on being probably the first and only (as of yet) owner of the G4. Ho!and you have resisted the spell of the mighty fortuner.

I agree with you completely on the sheer value proposition that the G4 presents. I've been stalking this car from launch, which would be apparent from my multiple posts in this thread.

I strongly encourage you to start an ownership review. It would be of immense help to others who are doubtful about this less known product or fence sitters worried about the brand.

I have covered what I felt could be the reasons for the G4 skipping to create a buzz in the post above, but Im only contemplating. You have put your money where your mouth is and are hence qualified to answer queries.

One important concern was M&Ms proficiency in handling the G4's spares and service, which if you say is certainly improving, then thats a welcome change.

Which variant did you bring home ? Please share loads of pictures.

Let us peek into your brain and know what was the decision making process. Let us in on the buying experience and dealer response. You are burdened with an important task shakti.

Happy miles to you.

OT: The car may indeed be capable but please take it easy on the curves.

Last edited by vigneshkumar31 : 7th January 2019 at 16:44. Reason: added text
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 17:34   #424
Senior - BHPian

My sales advisor just told me that they moved 5 Alturas vehicles last month - impressive, considering it was December, no discounts on the new launch, and it's a 36 lakhs OTR Mahindra. And I'm talking about only one dealership in my city...

(I took delivery of a XUV, before anyone asks!)
ph03n!x is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2019, 22:47   #425

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneAndDusted View Post
Pricing has left me disappointed. I am planning an upgrade to my 2012 XUV W8 FWD in the next 6-8months and was looking forward to the Alturas. Now I am not so sure and am leaning towards the Fortuner or Kodiaq (if i can manage the budget. Very skeptical about plonking close to 35L on a Mahindra, especially considering their After sales service experience which is very underwhelming. Haven't had any major issues but is definitely not what you expect for a 15L + car.
When are we getting the official team bhp review of the Alturas? I hope one is in the offing. Can't wait to read!
I am in the same boat as you. Looking to upgrade from 2013 XUV W8 FWD. More than disappointed, i am confused at the pricing. The leap of faith is more than 10L. I was hoping that Alturas G4 top end would be launched somewhere in the 28L-30L On-road bracket.

Today, the only way i would take a chance on Alturas G4, is with long term 7 years full warranty. The problem is that there is no clear upgrade.

Do we look for the TATA Harrier, MG Hector, Isuzu SUV or something else? But those don't tick the boxes like Alturas G4 does. That's why the longer warranty period is the kicker.

The XUV W11 doesn't hold novelty that an owner wants to feel when he changes a car. Also, If rumors are true, this model is due for a face lift.

Having said that, Mahindra is known for its quick reaction time to customer suggestions/complaints.

What to do?
Old 12th January 2019, 09:32   #426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajneesh29 View Post
The XUV W11 doesn't hold novelty that an owner wants to feel when he changes a car. Also, If rumors are true, this model is due for a face lift.
True, I can understand what you're saying. The W11 might not really feel like an upgrade if you are already driving an XUV., it would be more of an update.

In the current lineup, the Alturas is the most logical upgrade for current XUV owners. But the price falls beyond and on the other side of the wide gap, I have indicated in my posts above. This asks the prospective buyer to double his current budget to upgrade. That is the real stretch and once you reach there, the D2 segment has many 'can't go wrong with it'options which you need to convince yourself not go for instead of the G4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajneesh29 View Post
Do we look for the TATA Harrier, MG Hector, Isuzu SUV or something else? But those don't tick the boxes like Alturas G4 does. That's why the longer warranty period is the kicker.
Well,except the ISUZU MUX, these others you've listed are 5 seater SUVs and not full size SUVs like the Alturas. So comparisons might strictly not be fair to either breed. If you are not keen on 7 seaters, then there are actually quite a few options and one would be spoilt for choice.

Disregarding smaller and lesser price segment 5 seaters, assuming if you want to remain in the neighbourhood or north of the current XUV, one has a bouquet to pick from the existing lineup and the upcoming '19 launches. Starting from the creta, you can climb all the way upto VAG Tiguan.

Hyundai Creta 'MY19 Updated
Jeep Compass
Tata Harrier
MG Hector
Kia Trazor
Hyundai Tucson
Volkswagen Tiguan

If you are in for 7 seater full size SUVs only, then my chart above few posts is ALL that we have now.

The revised XUV5OO and the Tata H7X seven seater flagship might join that list in 2019-20 period and might plonk themselves in the darien gap.
All assuming, Toyota fortuner doesn't revise prices, raise the stakes and pull the segment up north with it.

Take a test drive and you will agree, the Alturas G4 as a car for the features and package it offers, definitely is worth what its asking considering its a CKD also. Its the first name that needs convincing at 35 lacs.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2019, 19:20   #427
BHPian

Could someone clarify whether the Alturas G4 has 3 point seat belt in the second row middle seat? I noticed the lack of it on various videos on youtube. For such an expensive car, I believe it is a must to have 3 point seatbelts for all 7 passengers. A picture of the seatbelt for the second row middle seat could be great. If it is that ugly lap belt, it is definitely a deal breaker for me. Not sure why Mahindra would do that on the flagship vehicle.
Old 16th January 2019, 20:02   #428
BHPian

Anand Mahindra takes delivery of his Alturas. Good way to endorse his own brand by Mr. Mahindra and Mr. Tata as well.

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-img_20190116_195624.jpg

And coming back to the vehicle, it really looks killer in black. Notice the side steps he got installed, it doesn't look way too aftermarket-ish. I guess what were the engineers thinking while rebadging ? This was something I think 80% of its customers will opt for as I have earlier raised concerns on this thread as well. Or did they plan to go the Apple way to sell it separately to bring in more bucks.

Source: Anand Mahindra on Twitter
PrasunBannerjee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th January 2019, 08:02   #429
BHPian

Quote:
Yes Narayan, it does tick most boxes for my requirements so was considering it against the 3.2
Hi Vignesh,
Can you please tell me if the engine is BS-VI compliant? They say it’s bs-VI ready, but I doubt their authenticity and they might come up with an excuse that you have to add the kit for some lakhs.
Old 17th January 2019, 08:08   #430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveoman19 View Post
Could someone clarify whether the Alturas G4 has 3 point seat belt in the second row middle seat? I noticed the lack of it on various videos on Youtube. For such an expensive car, I believe it is a must to have 3 point seatbelts for all 7 passengers. A picture of the seatbelt for the second row middle seat could be great. If it is that ugly lap belt, it is definitely a deal breaker for me. Not sure why Mahindra would do that on the flagship vehicle.
It has a 2 point lap belt only for middle passenger.

I have attached the owners manual for clarification.

[ATTACH=alturas-g4-owners-manual.pdf]1838012[/ATTACH]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf alturas-g4-owners-manual.pdf (7.62 MB, 1037 views)
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2019, 10:00   #431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aastiksaluja View Post
Hi Vignesh,
Can you please tell me if the engine is BS-VI compliant? They say it’s bs-VI ready, but I doubt their authenticity and they might come up with an excuse that you have to add the kit for some lakhs.
It's BS VI READY engine which they will couple with DPF etc. on cars which will be sold April 2020 onwards.
With that addition only it will become BS VI COMPLIANT.
The existing owners, who bought Alturas before April 2020, need not convert their engines to BS VI compliant.
They can run as is.
DriveOnceMore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2019, 13:16   #432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aastiksaluja View Post
Hi Vignesh,
The Alturas G4 runs the same Ssangyong 2.2 LITRE E-XDI 220 (D22DTR) engine that does duty on the Ssangyong's Rexton G4, as sold overseas. This engine also powers other cars like the Ssangyong Rodeus, Actyon, and the Musso Pick up. So the G4 Rexton with the same engine is sold in Korea and in the UK, where its a Euro6 'complaint' engine (equivalent to BS6). So the claim of BS6/Euro6 need not be doubted.

Mahindra must have removed certain components like DPF, catalytic converters, or other exhaust treatment apparatus that help the engine adhere to the Euro6/BS6 norms when it was brought to India as the Alturas G4, to simply keep the launch price in check and there still being more than a year for the norms to kick in. So the engine on the Alturas now is BS4 compliant but BS6 'ready'. By which I presume they may have to add on and integrate the components again in 2020, thereby increasing the price slightly. This might be a substantially lesser cost increase than those manufactures who have to develop the tech to upgrade their offerings to BS6 or build new engines altogether that would be BS6 compliant. The technicalities of what would it cost for the a present BS4 vehicle to be BS6 compliant depends on the engine primarily and also on other factors if the manufacturer wants to use this opportunity, to enhance other features of the car as well or time it with a facelift etc.

The next question that arises is: if the same components that the G4 would bolt on its BS6 ready engine to make it BS6 compliant could be used by other BS4 compliant engines to make them BS6 compliant? Well it is not that simple because there are further layers to BS6 compliant engines like for e.g.,. they require an increase in Fuel injection pressure for the diesels etc. The engine size is also a factor because <2litre engines would use DOC+DPF while >2litre diesels use DOC+DPF+SCR for BS6 compliance. Hence the time taken by the manufacturers in developing BS6 compliant vehicles as it may require re-development of the full suite of the engine and after treatment systems. I reckon some of them will exploit first mover advantage by releasing fully BS6 compliant vehicles in 2019 itself if they are ready with the development. Some carmakers have already launched fully BS6 compliant cars plying on Indian roads (Mercedes Benz S Class.)

As for BS6 fuel, delhi ncr has seamlessly shifted to all pumps supplying bs6 fuel only since April 2018 and all our bs4 car engines are running on this bs6 fuel with no drama. So the cars that are sold prior to April 2020, will continue to live on till their registration allows them to, drinking on BS6 fuel merrily.

It is analogous to the AHO (Always headlight on) motorcycles that have been made compulsory. The old motorcycles still ply, but new ones will have to be AHO henceforth.

To summarise, we can expect that all manufacturers will increase costs, albeit to varying degrees, depending on whether they are currently BS4 compliant or BS6 ready etc. This need not be a deal breaker if one is looking to buy a BS4 car in 2019 as you can continue to live with it anyway.

The resale value of a 2019 BS4 car compared to a 2020 BS6 car is anyones guess and what happens to the BS4 vehicle later in life/ on expiry of registration is entirely another discussion.

So what does one do? Grab the last of the lot 2019 stock for a possible discount and absorb resale impact later? or wait it out and buy the BS6 car in 2020 itself ? Depends on how much of a hurry one is in.

I, for one, hope that this entire exercise besides reducing pollution, also to some extent reduces the vilification of the diesel engine in popular opinion.

While Bs6 brings us at par with the worlds best (Euro 6) and I welcome it, I would appeal to the NGT to stop knee jerk reactions in general and roll out some irrational pollution control measures blindly the moment they hear a leaf drop.

P.S: I have added a technical report on the Euro 6 for those who fancy more reading on the topic.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ICCT_Euro6-VI_briefing_jun2016.pdf (193.3 KB, 781 views)

Last edited by vigneshkumar31 : 17th January 2019 at 13:30. Reason: Added Document
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2019, 13:18   #433
BHPian

Quote:
It has a 2 point lap belt only for middle passenger.

I have attached the owners manual for clarification.

[ATTACH=alturas-g4-owners-manual.pdf]1838012[/ATTACH]
Thank you so much for replying Sir.

I would have blindly considered this beast instead of the well established rivals in the segment but a flawed decision such as this just doesn't seem to cut the mustard for me. Seeing a Mahindra or a Tata badge on truly international models makes me feel proud nonetheless.
Old 17th January 2019, 16:02   #434
BHPian

Quote:

I would have blindly considered this beast instead of the well established rivals in the segment but a flawed decision such as this just doesn't seem to cut the mustard for me. Seeing a Mahindra or a Tata badge on truly international models makes me feel proud nonetheless.

You are welcome @aveoman. Except the G4 all other SUVs I have listed in the comparisons a few posts above get 3 point seat belts for all occupants in middle row.
Endeavour, Fortuner,MUX, Outlander,Kodiaq and the CRV.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2019, 16:50   #435
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

What are your requirements? and besides the missing 3-point seatbelt for middle passenger, which other requirements were not met in the Alturas G4?

Just curious!
SDP is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks