Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2019, 12:32   #466
BHPian

Re: SsangYong Rexton (Y400) to be sold as Mahindra Alturas G4 in India. EDIT : Launched at 26.95 Lak

I have hardly seen comparison between Alturas and Endeavour. All are mostly with Fortuner. I think Alturas stands nowhere near 3.2 Endeavour even as per Tbhp reviews and moderators comments Endeavour is far better than Fortuner. It is the Toyota brand image and reliability which helps Fortuner with the sales figures.

PS I am an Endeavour owner and I purely made a purchase based on Tbhp reviews and mods comments. My family being a Fortuner fan got easily convinced based on the facts and figures.

Do come up with your analysis I am happy to reply.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 3rd February 2019 at 12:36. Reason: Qouted post removed. Thanks for sharing.
roby_dk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2019, 12:46   #467
BHPian

Team bhp reviews are neutral , go and study every aspect , are quite valuable for car buyers and specially followed as a manual for aspiring team bhp members . With a review not coming forth , this car is out of my priority list .
Ranga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2019, 12:53   #468
BHPian

Re: SsangYong Rexton (Y400) to be sold as Mahindra Alturas G4 in India. EDIT : Launched at 26.95 Lak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadiMaama View Post
Is there a Team Bhp review coming of the Alturas? My uncle is considering one and I have suggested him to take a TD and wait for the review, if it's coming soon.

If you set aside the review part, is it a good time to buy an expensive car right now when the BS6 norms are only a few months away. Although I don't know if it is BS6 compliant already. But if it is not then one should wait a few months before buying. I know people will buy BS4 models even after introduction of BS6, specially when heavy discounts will be offered for unsold stocks but this is just my view.
Carpainter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2019, 13:13   #469
BHPian

Here's a pretty detailed review of the Alturas by ACI -
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-rev...ad-test-411334

Quote:
Rating: 8/10
The Mahindra Alturas G4 is an impressive SUV that punches above its weight. It may not have the badge value of its rivals but as a product, it offers far more.
It’s a good highway cruiser and in town, too, it’s not as intimidating to drive as the Endeavour or the Fortuner, to which the Alturas is a credible alternative priced at Rs 26.95-29.95 lakh (ex-showroom, India). The Alturas is fantastic value for money and a good way of keeping Mahindra loyalists within the brand.
Attached Thumbnails
The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-0_0_0_0_70_http___cdni.autocarindia.com_reviews_2019mahindraalturasg4front-static.jpg  

Aaron:) is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2019, 19:35   #470
Senior - BHPian

Having a bit of fun with MS Paint. Maybe someone can do a better job with Photoshop. Mahindra should launch the Alturas G4 Pik-Up/Camper/Getaway/UTE/Bakkie. Even if it doesn't sell to well in India they can rely on exports to Australia and South Africa. At least India will have an alternative to the V-Cross.
Attached Thumbnails
The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-1d2_1646a.jpg  

pedrolourenco is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2019, 20:45   #471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Having a bit of fun with MS Paint. Maybe someone can do a better job with Photoshop. Mahindra should launch the Alturas G4 Pik-Up/Camper/Getaway/UTE/Bakkie. Even if it doesn't sell to well in India they can rely on exports to Australia and South Africa. At least India will have an alternative to the V-Cross.
salilpawar1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2019, 23:19   #472
BHPian

SsangYong Rexton (Y400) to be sold as Mahindra Alturas G4 in India. EDIT : La...

Seems they embraced your idea already. The Ssangyong Musso (rhino in Korean) is a pickup based on the SUV and is already doing duty.

It's interesting that the pickup is based on the suv and not the other way round ( fortuner on hilux , everest on ranger etc.)

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-imageuploadedbyteambhp1549216184.315132.jpg

Last edited by vigneshkumar31 : 3rd February 2019 at 23:26.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th February 2019, 21:28   #473
BHPian

Just recently noticed that that two variants are not just different by their drive mechanism, viz, 4x2 vs 4x4 but the variants have considerable difference in technology, comfort and safety features as well, including the fact that the 4x2 variant does not offer 9 airbags that the 4x4 offers. Notice the highlights on the variant comparison charts.

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-alturas-features-2.jpg
The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-alturas-features-1.jpg
cs_rajesh is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 19:08   #474
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30

Saw one of these on the roads yesterday. By Jove it is huge. It was white with black rims and I thought thats a different looking fortuner. Then I saw those old school pop up antennas next to the A pillar and a few other design elements and realized it was not a Fortuner.
The car surely had presence. It was high and imposing and the paint quality looked good. It was fresh and different.
Old 7th March 2019, 22:41   #475
BHPian

The numbers are ramping up for sure . Check the numbers from team bhp report
The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-imageuploadedbyteambhp1551978682.396605.jpg

Last edited by SDP : 7th March 2019 at 23:47. Reason: Formatting
Ranga is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2019, 00:17   #476
BHPian

Contrary to the popular opinion, Alturas seems to doing quite good with 430 units this month which is easily comparable to Endeavor's monthly sales figures. Also, the numbers are on the upward trend since launch and has easily outsold the other new launch in the segment - the Honda CRV.

Last edited by jpcoolguy : 8th March 2019 at 00:19.
jpcoolguy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th March 2019, 01:32   #477
BHPian

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-imageuploadedbyteambhp1551988755.217531.jpg

I'll stick my neck out and say it again- The rebadged Rexton is the most under rated suv in the D2 competition.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-...ml#post4536542 (The definitive full-size 7-seater Premium SUV shootout)
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th March 2019, 03:06   #478
Senior - BHPian

I am actually warming upto the Rexton now that I am looking at buying a real SUV. Its an especially good deal in Australia given the top end Rexton comes for the price of a base Fortuner and has a 7 years unlimited kilometers warranty. Yes you read that right - unlimited kilometers. Given that we drive a lot in Australia, and tow and basically push the car especially the SUV's, this warranty is unheard of in the industry. If there was no Pajero Sport which is approximately the same price, give or take, I would have bought the Rexton, brand name cache notwithstanding. I am still in two minds which one to go for.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 8th March 2019 at 03:07.
extreme_torque is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 07:00   #479
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
I'll stick my neck out and say it again- The rebadged Rexton is the most under rated suv in the D2 competition.
Looks like you got company

Link

Quote:
I drive one myself so I know it's a car that is hugely under-rated in fact and I think we are under-pricing it, which people recognise and that's one reason why they're buying it too
Few weeks back visited Chrome motors Mysore road, Bangalore along with few other XUV owners for a discussion. Got chance to look at their demo Alturas for a while, didn't since I am not looking for a new vehicle now.

Liked instrument cluster, very subtle lighting

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-img_20190223_174110.jpg

Two things which I didn't like

- Side steps which are a Mahindra accessory was fouling with door beading and making a squeaky noise. Mahindra should have taken care of this.

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-img_20190223_173916.jpg

- Tumble down seats of second row was a disappointment. Second row is of 60/40 split and both sides can be pulled down. However, unlike the norm where 40% section is towards left side, in Alturas it is on right side. This I understand is since the vehicle was designed in Korea where vehicles are left hand ones.

The issue with adapting the same design here is, if someone from 3rd row has to get down, they either has to make use of the right door or get both passengers sitting on 60% split and get out through left door.

Though a seemingly small item, I felt this shows that Mahindra hasn't put much thought in this car.

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-img_20190223_175448.jpg
mpksuhas is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th March 2019, 08:32   #480
BHPian

Over the last nine days, I have tried my level best to get a TD of the Alturas G4 in Bangalore. The experience started at India Garage Whitefield last Thursday. I walked into the dealership at around 1145 AM and there was nobody there except for a cleaning lady and someone who looked like a security guard behind the reception. After loitering around the showroom for about 5-7 minutes, I was finally asked what I wanted. The moment I said I am interested in the Alturas, the prompt reply was that they did not have any details or a TD vehicle. I was asked to leave a phone number and they will get back. I was certain that they were not going to call me (since I had an earlier experience of this), so I asked for the sales manager. The sales manager came after about 20 minutes and assured me that someone from Mahindra and not India Garage will arrange the test drive.

A week and 2 days later, I have been stood up twice by Mahindra with no communication from them as to any change of plans. I have been following up with them, almost as if I am the salesman and not the customer. The Alturas TD in charge from Mahindra, a gentleman who only introduced himself as ‘from Mahindra’ never responds to messages and does not return calls. I was finally able to talk to him last evening, where he said that the backend team has messed up. He almost made it sound as if I was at fault.

During the week, I had also written to the VP of Mahindra Service and the South Zonal Head of Mahindra asking if they have a separate service network for the Alturas. I have it on email from them that the service network is different. He is an extract from the email.

We have bifurcated Alturas Showroom & Services within dealerships to cater to our valued different segment / hi-end customers. People, facilities will be different.

This was important to me because service of my existing Mahindra has almost always been a harrowing experience except for the regular oil-change kind of service. I checked on this independently with three people at India Garage who all confirmed that the Alturas will be serviced at the same workshop as the Scorpio, XUV, e2o, Veritas and others. I further probed if they have got the regular spares for the Alturas. The service managers that I spoke to did not know if they had any spares for the Alturas. This is scary

To get a context of Mahindra service, I have to mention that I have had a Scorpio AT for the last 7 years and has done a shade shy of 50k in mileage. During this time, I have had to write to the head of Customer Service at Mahindra, Mr Sonjoy Gupta, twice for separate incidents. They have also tried to oversell un-necessary things to me. At 40k they tried to sell me a transmission oil change which was estimated at INR 45,000. I had to quote the service booklet and tell them a firm no since its a sealed transmission and then oil is to be inspected at 80k. I have also felt that the cost of regular service is way too high. The last 45k regular service cost me about 10k and it was all regular stuff with no additional issues and no oil change. Now I wonder what will happen if the the Alturas service is going to be handled by the same people.

The Alturas looks impressive on paper and all reviews are positive. If only I was able to see one and TD it. I guess its only for royalty and not for us lesser mortals. So after 15 years of loyalty to Mahindra, I am ready to move on. Thanks to the pathetic sales and service network.

The first time I was stood up, I contacted Ford, who quickly arranged a TD. The 3.2 Endy is impressive to say the least. And Cauvery Ford seems to be much better than India Garage in terms of professionalism.

Hope this helps people on the fence make a judgement.
harikrishnanm is offline   (14) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks