Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2019, 00:00   #481
BHPian

Re: The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I am actually warming upto the Rexton now that I am looking at buying a real SUV. Its an especially good deal in Australia given the top end Rexton comes for the price of a base Fortuner and has a 7 years unlimited kilometers warranty. Yes you read that right - unlimited kilometers. Given that we drive a lot in Australia, and tow and basically push the car especially the SUV's, this warranty is unheard of in the industry. If there was no Pajero Sport which is approximately the same price, give or take, I would have bought the Rexton, brand name cache notwithstanding. I am still in two minds which one to go for.
John Cadogan has only good things to say about the Rexton except the lone deal-breaker - the suspension. Since you are in Australia you may want to listen to him.

Still it is quite an achievement that such a new car from an unknown brand came out relatively unscathed from a John Cadogan review.
civic-sense is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2019, 21:57   #482
BHPian

I just went to the Mahindra dealership to check out the Alturas. Nice car. But I don't understand the 13L premium over the XUV500. From a practical standpoint, I didn't notice much of a difference in passenger space. In fact, the middle row seats in the XUV felt more comfortable thanks to better underthigh support. I am tall guy (6'3") and my head was scraping the roof in the middle row and I managed to fit in the driver's seat only because I set the seat at its lowest setting. If the height of the Alturas isn't enough to comfortably accommodate me, something is wrong. I haven't had this problem with the XUV500. To be fair, I have the same problem with the Endeavour.

I am a bit annoyed that I can't find a decent upgrade to the XUV. I guess I have to wait for the all-new XUV
kovilkalai is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st April 2019, 22:05   #483
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovilkalai View Post
To be fair, I have the same problem with the Endeavour.

I am a bit annoyed that I can't find a decent upgrade to the XUV.
You are right and the same problem is with the MU-X. I haven't sat in the middle seat of the new Fortuner, but it should be wide and accommodating.

And as a comfortable SUV, nothing much matches either of the Tata's, be it Hexa, Storme or the Harrier.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2019, 08:58   #484
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
- Tumble down seats of second row was a disappointment. Second row is of 60/40 split and both sides can be pulled down. However, unlike the norm where 40% section is towards left side, in Alturas it is on right side.....
....The issue with adapting the same design here is, if someone from 3rd row has to get down, they either has to make use of the right door or get both passengers sitting on 60% split and get out through left door.

Though a seemingly small item, I felt this shows that Mahindra hasn't put much thought in this car.
Isn't this the same in the Innova Crysta? The middle-row bench ones, esp. the G variant cabs I've been in all have the smaller split on the right, though both sections have tumble-down mechanism.
Old 22nd April 2019, 09:39   #485
AYP
Senior - BHPian

When it comes to 60-40 split discussion, I am of the firm belief that the 60% split should be present diagonal to the driver.

In India's case, it should be on the left side of the rear bench. Why you ask me? Well, most of the chauffeur driven owners are usually supposed to sit diagonal to the driver so that they can get the best legroom possible by adjusting the passenger's seat. Plus you can get a view of the instrument console which I'd say is a better view than staring at an empty passenger's seat.

Thus, if the 60% split is on the left side, then the rear passenger can enjoy better comfort if the rear seat can be reclined as the middle armrest portion also moves along with the whole setup. If you are seated on the 40% part of the seat and recline your seat, then the armrest will stay fixed in its place and it will be at an awkward angle for you to rest your hand at.
AYP is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th May 2019, 22:06   #486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
When it comes to 60-40 split discussion, I am of the firm belief that the 60% split should be present diagonal to the driver.
The reason for the left side seating being the smaller one might be from a safety point of view, passengers entering the third row will find it easier to move the smaller portion of the seat, which can be done safely from the pavement side of the car. I could be wrong, just my POV.
giri1.8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2019, 23:04   #487
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
The reason for the left side seating being the smaller one might be from a safety point of view, passengers entering the third row will find it easier to move the smaller portion of the seat, which can be done safely from the pavement side of the car. I could be wrong, just my POV.
Can't deny either of our points.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...eat-split.html (How do you like the 60-40 rear seat split?)
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 17:31   #488
BHPian

I had booked the 3.2 4x4 Endeavour on the 12th of April since i sold my 2009 Fortuner a.k.a Obelix on the 8th of April.
I did not really even consider the Fortuner or the Alturas.
Since i was driving past the Mahindra Showroom today i went in for a casual look but came away quite impressed with the Alturas.

Its interiors really seemed a notch above the Endeavour and two notches above the Fortuner.
Equipment levels were very high also.
The sales team and area were separate for the Alturas but will share the same service area as all other Mahindra products. Im sure some dedicated technicians will be trained to handle the Alturas.
Ive been with Toyota since 2003 and their After Sales is unmatched! I dont think i will be able to handle Mahindra After Sales now.
I took a round of the workshop and it kind of reinforced this belief.
The Rexton is good product with a number of good features but I am not able to justify cancelling my Ford Endeavour booking and going in for a Mahindra Alturas.
Also the 18inch (ugly) alloy wheels with 255/60 rubber look really out of place on the huge vehicle.
The price difference ex showroom is 3 lacs now with the Rexton at Rs 30,70,000/- and the 3.2 4x4 Endeavour at 33,70,000.
Ford increased the ex-showroom price by 72,000 about 3 days ago.
It was 32,98,000 when i had booked it.

The Diffused Silver Color will also take time since Ford is making only white and black Endeavors right now due to customer demand being high in these two colors.
There is a Blue Alturas available ex stock right now and i am quite tempted..
Will take a test drive tomorrow hopefully.

I went to the Endeavour showroom right after seeing the Alturas and the plush Endeavour interiors did not seem so plush suddenly.
Test drove it again and the hush of the cabin, smooth power delivery from the 200 bhp engine and good suspension restored my faith again.

I leave you with some pics of the Blue Alturas at the dealer stockyard and the Diffused Silver Endeavour that i have booked.

I am so confused! HELP please!!
Attached Thumbnails
The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-screenshot_20190415111753_google.jpg  

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-img20190508wa0004.jpg  

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-img20190508wa0003.jpg  

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-img20190508wa0002.jpg  

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-img20190508wa0005.jpg  

Manuuj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 17:46   #489
Senior - BHPian

you are better off with the endeavour and the ford global presence will help in spares as well. Alturas is sold in how many countries ??
lurker is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 19:17   #490
BHPian

Like it, buy it. It's got that novelty factor and the size is impressive. Not that the Endy is less. And why should there be a problem as far as spares are concerned, you should be good for the next 9 years which is when you will be selling your truck due to the NGT ban.

MnM service is good, on my 2nd MnM now and have stuck with the same service station for the past 9 years. Folks there don't seem greedy to me unlike other service stations I visit of MS. They even do all fluid top up when I go for road trips FOC.
desiaztec is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 19:17   #491
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
ubber look really out of place on the huge vehicle.
The price difference ex showroom is 3 lacs now with the Rexton at Rs 30,70,000/- and the 3.2 4x4 Endeavour at 33,70,000.
All I know is, the Alturas engine is BS-6 while the Endeavor is not. If there is a BS-6 engine Endeavor, prices may go further up north.

Plus, is there a clarity if BS-6 would be allowed for time on road than current BS-4 engines? If yes, then the Alturas may have an advantage for someone who would stick with their car.

How did you find the Alturas? Engine/suspension wise?
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 19:57   #492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
I am so confused! HELP please!!
The thing about the Alturas is that it has flopped and you could get a large discount on it. The size of the discount should be the deciding factor.

I'd mentally set a threshold and then see if the dealer's best offer falls below it or not. Good luck!
McLaren Rulez is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 20:11   #493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
The thing about the Alturas is that it has flopped and you could get a large discount on it. The size of the discount should be the deciding factor.

I'd mentally set a threshold and then see if the dealer's best offer falls below it or not. Good luck!
I don't think the Alturas has flopped. It sells in decent numbers for the segment. Its a really good car and value for money as well. It's just the marketing campaign has been poor by Mahindra and the layman are unaware of this car.
I believe a tie up with IPL or something similar to that can do wonders for this car. The Harrier is now seen on live screen every time the ball goes to the boundary
Aditya_Bhp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 22:17   #494
BHPian

Happen to see and sit in an Alturas last week and I was really impressed with the interiors of this SUV. The interior is really world class, better than some of the Germans.
I would request you to drive this beast and take a choice regardless of the brand.
Superleggera is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 23:44   #495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiaztec View Post
Like it, buy it. It's got that novelty factor and the size is impressive..

MnM service is good, on my 2nd MnM ..They even do all fluid top up when I go for road trips FOC.
Yes its quite impressive as a car i agree. Not too sure about the Mahindra After Sales though.. have heard pretty nasty things about the dealer close by called Sri Durga Automobiles.

Which dealer are you using for your service needs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
All I know is, the Alturas engine is BS-6 while the Endeavor is not. If there is a BS-6 engine Endeavor, prices may go further up north.
How did you find the Alturas? Engine/suspension wise?
I thought the Alturas was BS6 ready and not BS6 yet?.. i was impressed by the Alturas too but havent driven it yet. Heard the suspension isn't as good as the Endeavors and that may be a dealbreaker itself for me. My only problem with my Fortuner was the rough ride till i upgraded to Ironman Suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
The thing about the Alturas is that it has flopped and you could get a large discount on it.
The dealer said there was a three month wait and no discounts. But when he realized i was in a hurry to buy a car the color i wanted (blue) just happened to be ready in stock with them.

I do not believe the 3 month waiting story. And no discount means no sale as far as i am concerned.

The Alturas may be a good car but at only 3 lacs more i prefer the 3.2 litre, tried and tested Endeavour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post
I don't think the Alturas has flopped. It sells in decent numbers for the segment. Its a really good car and value for money as well.
Its good value for money i agree. But it has certain disadvantages too. I do like it a lot but at only 3 lacs cheaper than the top of the range Endeavor it seems a bit to expensive for the brand that it is.
By brand i dont mean the "show off factor" but the goodwill, trust and dependability factor which is earned over a long time.
Ford really seems to have worked hard on this aspect and most owners i know rave about the transparency and quick reaction of Ford India.

I feel i would be taking a risk with investing my hard earned money in a Mahindra Alturas.

I am pretty certain that a few years down the line resale values will be much lesser than the Endeavours which seem to now be holding on to resale values well also though not as much as Toyotas but certainly much better than Tata or Mahindra.

Therefore i will take a test drive of the Alturas for sure but am quite certain i shall be going ahead with my original choice of the Endeavour 3.2 4x4 AT.
Manuuj is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed