Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2019, 05:54   #496
BHPian

Re: The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
Yes its quite impressive as a car i agree. Not too sure about the Mahindra After Sales though.. have heard pretty nasty things about the dealer close by called Sri Durga Automobiles.

Which dealer are you using for your service ....x4 AT.
I visit Koncept Mahindra in Okhla Ph 1. For your sales need, you can visit Koncept at Safdarjung right next to Ford and Tata; you could make a back to back comparo there. If you like, I can share my sales advisor's phone number with you.
desiaztec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2019, 13:35   #497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
I had booked the 3.2 4x4 Endeavour ...
I am so confused! HELP please!!
Hi Manuuj,
I was in the same confusion initially but found plenty of reasons in favour of Endeavour and finally booked and bought home a red Endeavour facelift 3.2 in March itself.

Some of the reasons -

1. Endeavour has much better ride quality and feel from steering.
Found Alturas ride too soft at med to high speeds. Steering has no feel whatsoever. Feels like a Hyundai unit.

2. Alturas is slightly quieter however Endeavour has a nice engine note when revved hard.

3. Endeavour has all the core features covered including the massive sunroof.
Alturas has a few items missing like no IVRM on a 40L car, no sliding middle row, much smaller sun roof, inferior ICE etc.

4. Endeavour can actually seat 7 folks with appropriate adjustment of middle row. Only thing is getting in. It can also hold a good amount of luggage with all seats up too. Not the case with Alturas which has the fixed middle row and probably the least comfortable last row in this category.

5. Proven 4WD and highest water wading capability.

6. Did not like some bits in alturas like the cheap gear selector, power window buttons, steering wheel, sound quality from ICE, speed alarm over 120 etc.

7. Most would say Endeavour looks better and has better road presence. (especially with some mods)

Very happy with my Endy and completed 2200 kms. Its almost perfect with only low FE being its weakness. Getting 8.5 km/l in heavy Bangalore traffic and 11 on highways, which is not too bad.
Attached Thumbnails
The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-whatsapp-image-20190509-1.39.51-pm.jpeg  

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-whatsapp-image-20190509-1.41.18-pm.jpeg  

Last edited by Aniket6 : 9th May 2019 at 13:43.
Aniket6 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th May 2019, 15:46   #498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiaztec View Post
I visit Koncept Mahindra in Okhla Ph 1. For your sales need, you can visit Koncept at Safdarjung right next to Ford and Tata; ..
Thank you very much. Though i did test drive it today from Sri Durga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniket6 View Post
Hi Manuuj,
I was in the same confusion initially but found plenty of reasons in favour of Endeavour and finally booked and bought home a red Endeavour facelift 3.2 in March itself.

Some of the reasons ..
Yes it can be quite confusing. I drove the Alturas today.
Initial impression was that the car felt superior to the Endeavour in the interiors as well as the occupant space. It felt like it was a bit more spacious than the Endeavour.
What did you think?

The Engine was pretty muted and quick to pick up and the steering was light and the multi cameras were quite a lot of help in the city traffic.

I drove it to a congested are with rough roads on purpose. It was easy to maneuver in traffic but i felt a lot of the road surface and the suspension though ate up minor bumps was still quite nervous and twitchy.

I checked the tyre pressures and they were at 37 which i felt was high. Maybe lowering them would have helped also. This despite it running on highway terrain tyres. An AT tyre with stiff sidewalls may make the ride worse.

The front seats were very comfortable and the ventilated function was a boon on this hot day.
The rear seat though was well below par in support. The seat squab was short and severly lacked under thigh support. This made for a decent ride but not as comfortable as the Endeavors for sure.

Headroom seemed more than the Endeavours.

Again the alloy rims and smaller 255 section tyres were an eyesore.

These were the three main points that let me down.. the suspension, rear seat comfort, and the design of the Alloys and tyre size.

Other than that it felt very well put together and very classy from inside.

The other thing in my mind is how my experience will be with Mahindra After Sales. How equipped are they with spares and parts if the need arises?

How is Mahindras complaints feedback and follow up with Customers? Should i risk it?

Why should i risk it?

I think its a good car but just not for me. I am sticking to the Endeavour.

Hopefully within or week or two i hope to get delivery of my Endeavour.

Here are a few pics that i clicked today of the Alturas interiors that are quite classy and best in class.
Attached Thumbnails
The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-20190509_135346.jpg  

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-20190509_134710.jpg  

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-20190509_134720.jpg  

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-20190509_134933.jpg  

Manuuj is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th May 2019, 16:22   #499
BHPian

I have been following your fortuner thread since inception and do realise how hard it would have been to part with it... Toyotas do have a knack of forging an emotional bond with the owners and their families..

I have been a Toyota user (Qualis-2003-2006), (Innova-2006-2012) before going for XUV-500 (2012 till today). However, after the initial hoopla was over with XUV, the itch to get back to Toyota started creeping in, what with constant niggles, not so great suspension, below par parts quality etc and we finally got back to Toyota in 2017 with Innova Crysta, 2.8Z. The life, since then is much better.
My XUV would go on sale very soon, making way for a smaller city SUV like KIA or HECTOR... let's see.

In your case, the life with Toyota has been even longer than ours, so, getting down to Endeavour is in itself a slight risk (what with higher cost of maintenance, uncertain future of Ford in India, low mileage, tight interior space (We found the back seat space relatively tighter than Fortuner), unusable third row, very high stance (difficult for elders) etc, that going for Mahindra may be a even worse case scenario.

The ALTURA G4 may be an alluring option due to its XXL size, extravagant interiors, but with an average ASS, lower technical expertise of both SsangYong and Mahindra Than Toyota or Ford, it may be an easy pass.

STICK TO TOYOTA
OR
GO FOR FORD.

My two cents.
RickyC is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 19:12   #500
BHPian

A shocking fact: The Ssangyong Rexton (RX7 AT) had an auto dimming IRVM, but not the Alturas!
Source: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attac...017_175801.jpg. This is terrible really!
artemis_fowl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 14:19   #501

Hi, I am following this thread often and sometimes get confused with the remarks. Anyways, I have nothing against any car, and here is my experience with Rexton RX7, AT.

1. I drive this one in the city as well on highways and bad roads.
2. Normally the car is loaded with my kids, wife, parents, camera, guitar and many suitcases.
3. Till date, in last many years (2013 onwards) it never let me down anywhere in any condition.
4. It is an SUV - ladder on frame - I can abuse it when needed. I don't offroad for pleasure but when there is a need, I feel confident in this car. Specially when the surface is bad and slippery....
5. Fuel consumption - it has a 78 litre tank and I get 600 to 800 kms per tank depending on condition.
6. Shifter helps when I am coming down from difficult gradients
7. I know people using it over 4 lakh km... it has a Mercedes commercial engine and certain do and donts are needed (a) don't start driving till you idle out of C zone and (b) do not stop till the needle at least touches med hit zone and (c) do not stop suddenly after 4/5 hours of prolonged driving without idling for 2 min.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd July 2019 at 10:55. Reason: Fixed typos based on Reported post.
mmchak@gmail.co is offline   (4) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 30th June 2019, 14:53   #502
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Damn, the number of Alturas that I'm spotting in Nashik (a Mahindra stronghold) isn't funny. Most of the rich farmers / owners of large tracts of land / factory owners have Fortuners or Cretas. It seems the Alturas has joined that club.

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-20190630-09.54.44.jpg
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 22:13   #503
Distinguished - BHPian

Got this advertisement as Email, does anyone have further details?

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-screenshot_20190814220541968_com.google.android.gm.png
Old 14th August 2019, 23:21   #504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Got this advertisement as Email, does anyone have further details?
Even i was trying to figure out the calculations behind 57% buyback but there are no details...
Old 19th August 2019, 20:01   #505
BHPian

I recently joined a very small group of Alturas owners. And, I can say that I am quite happy with the decision. I evaluated Endeavor and MUX along with Alturas. The family didn't like Endeavours' interior space and MUX was not loaded. The only missing feature in the Alturas is the Auto-Dimming IRVM. I recently drove it from Lucknow to Bangalore and the car pleased all of us with its silent cabin. My daughter loved the back seat space laid into a bed and slept through most of the journey. I will compile my ownership log soon and upload.
Attached Thumbnails
The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-img_2223.jpg  

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-img_2226.jpg  

vivekshukla is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 20:40   #506
BHPian

Today in Mettupalayam Road, Coimbatore I saw what looked like an Alturas. The vehicle was not camouflaged but the badges were all covered up. It had some sort of test equipment on the dashboard and sticker markings on the sides with the words LI-101 and 4wd badge on the tailgate. Had a temporary TN37 number.

Driver was not trying to stick around and was in a hurry. Sorry, I couldn't get any photos as I was on my bike and traffic was quite heavy.
Old 19th August 2019, 21:01   #507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekshukla View Post
. My daughter loved the back seat space laid into a bed and slept through most of the journey.

I hope you realise the risk you take when you travel with someone sleeping on a bed in a moving vehicle. No amount of safety in a car can protect an unfastened sleeping traveller in any minor accident, forget a major one.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th August 2019 at 21:16. Reason: an non-fastened > unfastened
ani_meher is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 21:27   #508
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekshukla View Post
I recently drove it from Lucknow to Bangalore and the car pleased all of us with its silent cabin. My daughter loved the back seat space laid into a bed and slept through most of the journey. I will compile my ownership log soon and upload.
Congratulations on the ride! Wish you unlimited safe & happy miles! Lucknow to Bengaluru is quite a journey. Worth a travelogue of sorts!

Please don't let anyone "sleep" horizontally in a moving car. No matter how much they want to or how young they are. Please ensure you get a good ISOFIX child seat - there are good ones available for upto 10 year olds with bolstering & booster design. I have one too.

Its of utmost necessity to ensure secure & fastened kids in journeys. Child seats a must if the kids are little & can't use the seat belts directly. The car you have travels fast & will be driven fast. Even a quick braking can throw around occupants if they aren't buckled in. Its disappointing that we have PUCs & removal of sun-films as mandatory but not child/booster seats.

Take care.

Last edited by Reinhard : 19th August 2019 at 21:29.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 21:28   #509
Senior - BHPian

Alturas no doubt looks like a capable vehicle being Ssangyong creed, but albeit high priced as compared to competition with higher brand value.

Quality demands more input costs, but India is a tough market, with a smaller pie in this segment.

Not sure if its because of CKD, attracting higher taxes.

Last edited by dadu : 19th August 2019 at 21:30.
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 07:24   #510
BHPian

Alturas G4 collides with truck. Boy killed when seat belts suffocated him. Internal injuries on stomach and chest. However, questions on why side and curtain airbags didn't activate also doing rounds. Deceased is the grandson of Duroflex Pvt Ltd chairman.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.times...w/70811876.cms

Last edited by Lambydude : 26th August 2019 at 07:25.
Lambydude is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed