Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2019, 21:33   #451
BHPian

Re: SsangYong Rexton (Y400) to be sold as Mahindra Alturas G4 in India. EDIT : Launched at 26.95 Lak

Is there a Team Bhp review coming of the Alturas? My uncle is considering one and I have suggested him to take a TD and wait for the review, if it's coming soon.
Old 27th January 2019, 21:40   #452
R_R
BHPian

Re: SsangYong Rexton (Y400) to be sold as Mahindra Alturas G4 in India. EDIT : Launched at 26.95 Lak

Great quick reviews! I'll just reflect what others have said: a great SUV, but let down by being priced several lakhs too high. Maybe that means poor resale value, and a lot of folks who were waiting eagerly for this can pick it up after a year or so as much cheaper second-hand? I don't know, but Mahindra's pricing strategy here is a puzzle. They could have done serious damage to Endeavour/Fortuner if they had been more careful with pricing.
R_R is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th January 2019, 07:52   #453
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by A M View Post
I believe Mahindra knows this and it could be the reason for such pricing. They probably are looking to use this product to help their brand and steadily position themselves at a premium in other segments.
Pricing cannot make a product "premium". Premium'ness comes after years of brand building, offering premium products etc. Mahindra has neither.

They really should have done what they did with the XUV500. Launch with an irresistible price tag initially, build sales momentum and then gradually increase the price. The XUV500 isn't cheap today; it was however at the time of launch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadiMaama View Post
Is there a Team Bhp review coming of the Alturas?
This is pretty much it. The posts by Aditya, SDP, me & other BHPians on this thread cover all one needs to know to make an informed purchase decision.
GTO is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 28th January 2019, 10:18   #454
A M
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Pricing cannot make a product "premium". Premium'ness comes after years of brand building, offering premium products etc. Mahindra has neither.

Going by the build, the features, the overall look and feel and quality of materials used, Alturas and the upcoming XUV300 are premium products in their respective segments. And that is what, I believe, they are using to further their brand image.
Old 28th January 2019, 11:04   #455
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by A M View Post
Going by the build, the features, the overall look and feel and quality of materials used, Alturas and the upcoming XUV300 are premium products in their respective segments. And that is what, I believe, they are using to further their brand image.
Agreed. But I'm guessing his point is that no brand can command a premium just because of a good product - that positioning has to be earned in the market, over time. Even the (now) mighty Innova and Fortuner had humble introductions in the market, forget the XUV 5OO.

Indian market isn't kind to newcomers in any segment, but at the same time - if the trust is established, it can be extremely generous over a very long period (Case in point - Honda City, along with others mentioned above).
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th January 2019, 10:02   #456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
I happened to see about 4-5 Alturas recently in Mumbai in a convoy. All were silver with black plates with yellow lettering. Couldnt find out what hotel fleet they belonged to. Could be for self-drive vehicle company too!
These, I'm told, are Mahindra's own test drive fleet parked at dealerships. This is to cater to customers who come through the m2All / sYOUv platforms.

But dealerships ultimately use them too.
vigvr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2019, 15:19   #457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is pretty much it. The posts by Aditya, SDP, me & other BHPians on this thread cover all one needs to know to make an informed purchase decision.
Unfortunately, SDP and Aditya's report/review got buried under piles of other posts. I came to know about that by Team-BHP's tweet. IMHO, It should be posted as a separate thread.

Coming back to Alturas G4, I TDed this vehicle. I must say it is a well-built car with the premium interior. Auto gear-shift felt smooth. It felt like a perfect cruiser for sedate drivers, who love to cruise on highways for long trips. However, after all of this, the same question arose in my mind "koi yeh( Alturas G4) kyu le, woh (Fortuner or Endeavour) na le!" (Why someone buy Alturas G4 instead of Fortuner or Endeavour).

Last edited by aah78 : 5th February 2019 at 20:04. Reason: Typo fixed on request.
SJM1214 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 11:06   #458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Here is a quick drive report of the Mahindra Alturas G4.
How many car names can you think of that end with an "s"? Sounds like a plural. Should have been Mahindra Altura. What is Alturas?
Attachment 1841821

I think it would have been due to the fact that there was already an altura.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...te-market.html (Suzuki Baleno Altura & the Indian "Real Estate" Market)
batterylow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 11:19   #459
BHPian

Quote:
Bummer, it doesn't have the usual "feel" of team-bhp's comprehensive road tests, imho.
Coming back to the vehicle, I'm at a loss to understand how come manufacturers can put fancy gizmos in their cars, yet overlook some basic things like under thigh support, or low seating position. Considering the less then average seating comfort of second & third row & the not insubstantial price tag, I don't see sales picking up since consumers already have two very good products in the same price range.
superbad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 11:42   #460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbad View Post
Bummer, it doesn't have the usual "feel" of team-bhp's comprehensive road tests, imho.
While I agree that it is disappointing, for a car that will be sold in the hundreds, and hardly any among enthusiasts, it does not make sense to invest time and effort on a comprehensive review. That effort could be spent on the XUV300 and Harrier, reviews of which are eagerly awaited by many.

Quote:
Thanks for the initial impressions, Aditya & SDP! A competent SUV, but overpriced by 5 - 7 lakhs. Whoever saw the vehicle and / or drove it liked it. But when they heard the price, the unanimous answer was "why wouldn't I just buy a Fortuner or Endeavour?".
True, it's the price that is going to kill the most premium Mahindra. Ford and Toyota has a greater brand recall than a Mahindra/Ssangyong. And there is no aspect in which the Alturas excels compared to the Endaevour and Fortuner.

I think Mahindra should start assembling it here and consequently knock some 10L off its price tag. Then it can beat both the Endy and the Fortuner.

Last edited by blacksport : 31st January 2019 at 11:58.
blacksport is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2019, 01:49   #461
BHPian

Overdrive Comparison test:
Mahindra Alturas G4 vs Toyota Fortuner

Quote:

The Alturas G4 was a second quicker in our 0-100kmph test, clocking 11.20 seconds as opposed to the Fortuner's 12.30 seconds.

The Alturas G4's engine feels more refined and is also a lot quieter.
The Fortuner claws advantage back in the handling department though.

The Alturas G4 goes over undulations with more grace.

One of the biggest reasons behind the Fortuner's immense popularity is its off-road prowess, though the Alturas is not too far behind.

The Fortuner proves why it is the best-selling premium SUV in India, and it feels like a battle tank. It is also the more serious off-roader and it is a proven and highly desirable SUV.
But the Alturas G4 pampers you more and feels plusher and more spacious. A more refined powertrain and quieter cabin help matters too and unless you are an off-road junkie, the Alturas G4 has a lot going for it. The price difference between the two tilts the scales further in the Mahindra's favour
Full Article - http://overdrive.in/reviews/comparis...yota-fortuner/
JS Kwt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2019, 16:16   #462
BHPian

Although this SUV has a lot going for it, I would have preferred a more macho looking front with a bigger grill. The front of the car does not do justice to its overall mammoth size.

Now with the limited knowledge of editing photos on MS PAINT (I am a photoshop illiterate), I have tweaked the front and back of the SUV. Please have a look and share your thoughts.

The front fascia!

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-2.jpg

The rear!

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-mahindra.jpg

As I had edited these photos last week and posted them here today, a second look convinced me that a slight tinkering was needed.

The twin projector lamps seriously enhance the front look!

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-2.jpg

This one with the bigger yet original grill!

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-original-bigger-grill.jpeg.jpg

Another look of the rear!

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-3.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited by GTO : 3rd February 2019 at 08:03. Reason: Merging back to back posts
captain.torque is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2019, 23:40   #463
BHPian

Is team bhp review expected in near future for the Alturas ?
Old 3rd February 2019, 11:57   #464
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranga View Post
I think the kind of sales Alturas would generate, it won't demand the efforts of a full fledged Team-BHP review. Remember, we didn't review th MU-X or the Rexton and a couple of similar niche cars.
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2019, 12:00   #465
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranga View Post
Please refer post #461 from GTO in the previous page. This query has been answered.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4534871

There is no full review coming up for the Alturas and the first drive impressions from two moderators (SDP and Aditya) pretty much sum it up. SDP or Aditya might be able to help incase of any queries, but let's not take the thread OT further on the question of a full review.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd February 2019 at 12:38. Reason: As per RP
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed