Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2017, 11:48   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: SsangYong Rexton (Y400) to be sold as Mahindra Alturas G4 in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Indian version of the next-gen SsangYong Rexton (Y400) will be heavily localised and badged a Mahindra; Ssangyong brand to be dropped.
This is the right way forward. SsangYong has no brand value to speak of in India. Besides, the troublesome Rexton actually left it with negative equity here.

Mahindra should definitely work on the reliability & after-sales support though. The Rexton was / is a nightmare to own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
Quite frankly can anyone imagine paying luxury car prices for Mahindra or for that matter Tata.
Could anyone imagine paying 15 - 16 lakhs for a Mahindra in 2011? 3,000+ customers a month did, and the waiting period was well over a year!

Quote:
Better thing would be solidify their position in the segment they are
This requires hardly any effort from Mahindra. They own SsangYong, so it's as simple as slapping their badge onto it, and giving the SUV minor tweaks for India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shree_shell View Post
SsangYong. the brand had Chinese written all over it. People were alien to this brand along with its high price. Couldn't make decent numbers.
In the first year or two, the Rexton did alright (as high as 450 units / month). That was impressive for a 20 lakh SUV wearing an unknown badge.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th January 2017, 11:53   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

This should be a very interesting development.

The segment between the XUV500 and the Fortuner/Endeavour is still untapped, IMO. This is where the Hyundai Tucson, the Honda CR-V, the Skoda Yeti and the upcoming Jeep Compass are vying in.

Now, if Mahindra pitches this "premium" 7-seater SUV in a space which is occupied by predominantly premium 5-seater SUVs, offers a fantastic engine/transmission combo and adds a plethora of contemporary features at the same/close pricing, there's no reason this all-new Mahindra won't become a leader in this segment.

My prediction - Rs 19.xx lacs to Rs 25.xx lacs. A surefire winner.

Strong headache for the Tucson & the upcoming Compass. Yeti? Possibly dead and buried.
RavenAvi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th January 2017, 12:59   #18
BHPian

Looks very nice indeed. More like a soft-roader SUV (Santa-fe/Tucson)

IF people can spend 18.XX lakh & 1.8X lakh on Mahindra products (Read XUV5OO & Mojo), Rexton also will sell. It is more superior inside out as well.

I believe, if Mahindra can ensure the quality (Both Product / A.S.S), this will sell in good numbers , given if priced aggressively (Just like they did with XUV initially).

They have to price it so as to compete with the Tucson if not the Fortuner

PS: I am praying to god that the they don't rename it with that stupid "O" thingy of their's , Like LUV7OO (Luxury Utility Vehicle - Seven Oh Oh) or Rexton"O"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This requires hardly any effort from Mahindra. They own SsangYong, so it's as simple as slapping their badge onto it, and giving the SUV minor tweaks for India.
Hope they don't give it the signature "Tooth grill" of Mahindra

Last edited by Asish_VK : 4th January 2017 at 13:07. Reason: Quote
Asish_VK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th January 2017, 13:23   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
Better thing would be solidify their position in the segment they are with more products so that even if cannibalism occurs it happens within brand rather than customer going elsewhere.
I agree. This is what Maruti successfully did in the A and B segments. They started offering more premium cars in these and higher segments after consolidating and dominating these segments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shree_shell View Post
I think Mahindra should do a NEXA here.
Again, it may be a good thing to take a leaf or two out of Maruti's book.
Enobarbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 11:50   #20
Senior - BHPian

I would say, this is a missed opportunity to go premium. SsangYong brand could have been synonymous to Mahindra like Honda Acura - Nissan Infiniti - Toyota Lexus - Chevrolet Cadillac etc.

Brand building is easy and not as challenging. It could have been easily a premium brand in india, with the right amount of marketing and other orientations.

I am sure there would a zillion managers and MBA professionals at mahindra, who could build a premium brand with eh SsangYong name.
Old 5th January 2017, 13:23   #21
Senior - BHPian

I too feel that this one should be placed between XUV and Fortuner in order to tap in customers (like ME) who own XUV and want to upgrade now. Competing with Fortuner in terms of pricing would be a hard sell for Mahindra. Maybe later on when it has established its name, they can increase the price and add more variants in order to match Fortuner.

Till then, have this launched in the price range of 18+ and people like me would be happy to be upgrading from XUV to this (finger crossed)
Old 5th January 2017, 21:47   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
I would say, this is a missed opportunity to go premium. SsangYong brand could have been synonymous to Mahindra like Honda Acura - Nissan Infiniti - Toyota Lexus - Chevrolet Cadillac etc.

Brand building is easy and not as challenging. It could have been easily a premium brand in india, with the right amount of marketing and other orientations.

I am sure there would a zillion managers and MBA professionals at mahindra, who could build a premium brand with eh SsangYong name.
Brand building is very very difficult!

There are plenty of manufacturers struggling with their 'premium' brands, DS, Alfa Romeo, Infiniti, Lincoln, Maybach, Lancia the list is quite long. For eg. Mercedes reportedly sank $1.3 Bill into Maybach, taking inflation into account that can be a lot lot more in today's terms. Consider this Lexus is still a small player in Europe despite doing everything right.

The Indian Auto buyer today is very well informed, sinking crores into the SS brand (which strangely Mahindra doesn't wholly own, its part of the entire package that is heavily regulated by unions etc...) will not make it a Toyota or Honda equal. Any NRI will tell you what the SS brand stands for abroad, it is definitely not premium.

A lot of history, product recognition, personal experiences, external achievements etc... make for brand recognition. Marketing has a role in highlighting these factors but it alone cannot achieve premium status and especially not within a limited time-frame.
shortbread is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th January 2017, 15:02   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
I too feel that this one should be placed between XUV and Fortuner in order to tap in customers (like ME) who own XUV and want to upgrade now. Competing with Fortuner in terms of pricing would be a hard sell for Mahindra. Maybe later on when it has established its name, they can increase the price and add more variants in order to match Fortuner.

Till then, have this launched in the price range of 18+ and people like me would be happy to be upgrading from XUV to this (finger crossed)
Ditto. We are thinking about upgrading from our XUV next year and this will be a perfect fit IF priced correctly.
The car looks great, the production version will be toned down a bit which is better. Going by the spy shots of the car on road its huge and has good presence.
I just hope they find a decent name for it. Y400 or XUV800 etc will be a deal breaker.
faithless_1984 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 12:19   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Official sketches of the next-gen Rexton (Mahindra Y400) have been released ahead of the SUV's global unveil next month at the Seoul Motor show 2017.

Quote:
This new SUV will be sold as a Mahindra product in India and will be positioned above the XUV500, its current flagship model in India. The India-spec SUV will get a few design tweaks. The design team, in keeping with the Mahindra family face, is developing an all-new grille with distinctive vertical elements.

The new SUV is likely to be around 4.85m long, 1.96m wide and 1.8m high, this means that it will be a full-size, seven-seat SUV pitted head-on against the Toyota Fortuner and Ford Endeavour. The concept’s 2,865mm wheelbase is a substantial 120mm more than the Fortuner’s, which could potentially give it far better interior space. For India, this new SUV is likely to be powered by a 184hp, 2.2-litre, turbo-diesel engine that churns out a healthy 420Nm of torque. This engine will be mated to a six-speed manual or a seven-speed automatic. There will be a 225hp, 2.0-litre, petrol engine on offer too, which is likely to join at a later stage.

Expect this SUV to be christened with Mahindra nomenclature (most likely XUV700). The Y400 will be the new flagship in Mahindra’s range and an important brand builder for the company. According to company sources, the Y400 could undercut the Fortuner by a massive Rs 4-5 lakh.
The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-ssanyyong.jpg

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-ssangyong2.jpg

RavenAvi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 09:24   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Mahindra should definitely work on the reliability & after-sales support though. The Rexton was / is a nightmare to own.
The exact words my boss yesterday. He purchased one 4-5 years back. He has made up his mind of selling it due to poor after-sales support,

He was seeking my advice for the replacement of Rexton. His budget is 25-30L and he needs an suv (5-seater preferable), doesn't want a Hyundai badge so Tuscon was ruled out. I suggested him to wait for Tiguan. Kodiaq is almost ruled out due to Rexton-like after-sales support. He seemed quite impressed with Tiguan after initial googling. I mean who can resist those timeless designs of VW, Audi
bhavik.1991 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2017, 13:39   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Next-gen SsangYong Rexton revealed much ahead of its public debut at the upcoming Seoul motor show 2017.

To be launched in India as a Mahindra; will sit above XUV5OO as the new flagship.

Quote:
The next-gen Rexton is expected to be launched in India by the end of this year, badged as a Mahindra. The India-spec SUV will get a few design tweaks, with Mahindra’s design team developing an all-new grille with distinctive vertical elements in keeping with the Mahindra family look. The SUV will also receive the Mahindra nomenclature and sit above the XUV500 as the company’s new range-topping SUV. It will rival the Toyota Fortuner and the Ford Endeavour
The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-0_468_700_http___cdni_autocarindia_com_extraimages_20170327112502_c74o6aqv4aak8vz.jpg
The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-0_468_700_http___cdni_autocarindia_com_extraimages_20170327112508_c74o0eovuaa94oa.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 27th March 2017 at 13:42.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 12:28   #27
Senior - BHPian

The product seems promising, But selling this car under Mahindra name against the fortuner and Endevour is wishful thinking. I would never buy a mahindra car for 30+ lacs.

THe problem is not the car but the brand. Mahindra should work in developing the Ssangyong as a Global luxury brand.
Old 29th March 2017, 13:19   #28
Senior - BHPian

This can sell if it retails around 25 -27 lacs.
I think Mahindra brand will do just fine in that bracket.

Given the inflation and general increase in cost of living what was 15lacs in 2011, is almost 22lacs today. Given some XUV models costed 15lacs in 2011, and this is a superior product, I feel there would be buyers if M&M can sell at around 25l.

Also I know 2 guys who bought the XUV around 2012 and upgraded to Fortuner and they also went asking to M&M showrrom to inquire whats new.
Old 30th March 2017, 13:57   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

New 2017 SsangYong Rexton SUV launched , to rival vehicles from Hyundai Santa Fe to the Ford Edge.

Pic source - ACI
The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-seoulmotorshow15149699x380.jpg
ACI -
Quote:
According to company sources, the SUV could undercut the Fortuner by a massive Rs 4-5 lakh.
The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-g4rexton.jpg
The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-g4rexton_rear2.jpg
The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-g4rexton_rear.jpg

The new Rexton is 4,850mm long ( so about 15cm longer than the biggest Hyundai SUV in UK ) SsangYong’s offering is wider, too, at 1,920mm - and its wheelbase is considerably longer again, at 2,865mm.

Quote:
SsangYong will offer the Rexton in five- and seven-seat configurations - all with four-wheel drive and, most probably, a diesel engine (a 222bhp 2.0-litre petrol is available, but it’s said to be unlikely to make it to British dealers for the time being). The 2.2-litre turbodiesel, called e-XDi220, will produce 182bhp and 420Nm of torque; both of these figures represent slight increases over the existing car

The Rexton’s four-wheel drive system spends most of its life driving the rear wheels only, diverting power to the front when conditions get more slippery. In most of the cars sold in the UK it will be controlled through a Mercedes-sourced seven-speed automatic transmission - but a six-speed manual is likely to be offered on entry-level editions.

An eight-inch infotainment system will be the starting point on the Rexton, and higher-spec models will get a larger 9.2in display. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity will be available, and the system will also offer a top-down, ‘around-view’ monitor to help with parking. There’s also a seven-inch info display between the instrument dials.
link

Last edited by volkman10 : 30th March 2017 at 14:07.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2017, 20:39   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
No side windows for the third row of passengers
Then they better provide vomit bags as an added accessory for those poor 3rd row passengers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Wonder if it was designed as a 5 seater. Then localisation (of thought and implementation = juggadry) added 2 more seats.
The car on display was indeed a 5 seater, as Hormazd explains. Indian variant will have 7 seats.

SmartCat is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks