Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2017, 17:31   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW Polo, Ameo, Vento & Skoda Rapid might soon get 16" wheels

The last thing Polo required were new bigger alloys. What it dearly needs is better brakes with rear discs and better quality pads. The second thing would have been to stiffen up the lousy suspension. The final welcome thing would be to put a set of HID or LED headlamps. The standard ones are woeful.
reignofchaos is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2017, 17:35   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

ScoopMeister has added a new spy pic of the soon-to-be-updated Ameo.

The car in the pic was riding on 16-inch PORTAGO rims, shod with 195/55/R16 section Apollo Alnac tyres.

VW Polo, Ameo, Vento & Skoda Rapid might soon get 16" wheels-16142578_750217595142848_1285560541053669842_n.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2017, 09:34   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The car in the pic was riding on 16-inch PORTAGO rims, shod with 195/55/R16 section Apollo Alnac tyres.
I just couldn't stop grimacing when I read the measurements, this is another of those trends inspired internationally and yet has no place in this country. Having driven the TSi on 185/60/R15 with Apollos on high pressure was bad enough (TD vehicle), I felt every mm of road undulation and even minor height differences and other assorted road damages that can be expected every two feet on our roads, could be felt with an audible thud and a considerable cabin shake. Sporty, maybe but European and American roads do not have such a terrible quality and one might face bad patches once every few miles, this is not suitable for India (my opinion) and if one drives through concrete roads wewewewell one can get the idea.

Now we have the 195(not very necessary but ok)/55(YIKES!)/R16(totally unnecessary), while it may hold the car in line, improve steering weight and feedback in absolute smooth tarmac, the ride will fall apart in regular city conditions. On top of that is a tyre manufacturer that isn't known for making good tyres at all - Apollo, I don't care that they're manufacturing internationally, they cant beat Michelin or Yokos in comfort+handling combo.

Hope this 16 inch trend doesn't catch up with other manufacturers, no car short of the D-Segment needs them (since it'll mostly mean reducing sidewall height), one can argue otherwise and that's perfectly fine, it comes down to the preference between a rough, noisy ride which will give a feeling of a rugged, old school connect with the car, or a smooth pliant ride which will be boring 90% of the time yet comfortable.

Last edited by dark.knight : 22nd January 2017 at 09:39.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2017, 12:47   #19
Senior - BHPian

Difference in sidewall height:

195x55 (R16) = 107.25mm
185x60 (R15) = 111.00mm

That's not that much of a difference in the height of the sidewall, so IMHO these complaints are making a mountain out of a molehill.

I've driven the Vento (accidentally, rains at night) through potholes and rough roads with no sidewall or alloy damage, so I'm quite sure the change will have no impact for the normal driver. Anyone who prefers deliberately speeding over rough roads had better be prepared for more than just tyre damage, so there is no point including such in the discussion.
Old 31st January 2017, 16:56   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
ScoopMeister has added a new spy pic of the soon-to-be-updated Ameo.

While the 16 inches do look tasty, any profile below 195/55 ends up risky on 90% of our roads. 195/55 is similar to 185/60 which itself is a bit too low.

That said, if I had some say at VW, the first thing I would fix would be the Ameo's behind.
vivekgk is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks