Team-BHP - December 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   December 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/183196-december-2016-indian-car-sales-figures-analysis-2.html)

Most of the TML dealers received the display/TD Hexa cars in December. Why it is not featuring in the Tata listing, since these are the dispatches from TML to dealers?

KK

How come the Teana is still being dispatched? As far as I can remember, it was discontinued long back, and is not listed on Nissan's website either.

Or do these charts include export dispatches as well?

If the latter is true, is it possible to obtain domestic consumption numbers only? In that way, we can have a better understanding of the Indian market, since we all know that exports contribute a majority share for carmakers like Ford and Nissan.

With impending launches of Hexa, Nexon and Kite5 and also AMT, Sport variant of Tiago, it seems Tata is the company to watch out for in 2017. Could give Honda a threat to its no.4 position despite the upcoming Honda City facelift.

Toyota will have to bring in Vios, Rush/Avanza early to prevent further slippage of its position.

Once the Brezza petrol version is launched, we can expect it to overtake Baleno and i20.

Aspire seems to be the latest entrant to the taxi market. I see quite a few in Chennai. This has good potential to fill the gap which the Dzire tour leaves. In fact it should be a good option compared to even Indigo CS. Also since the Ritz is discontinued, Ford should probably launch the Figo also for the taxi market. It can undercut the Etios Liva and be attractive compared to the Indica in terms of total cost of ownership

Quote:

Originally Posted by narayan (Post 4123807)
Aspire seems to be the latest entrant to the taxi market. I see quite a few in Chennai. This has good potential to fill the gap which the Dzire tour leaves. In fact it should be a good option compared to even Indigo CS. Also since the Ritz is discontinued, Ford should probably launch the Figo also for the taxi market. It can undercut the Etios Liva and be attractive compared to the Indica in terms of total cost of ownership

OT: Actually the perfect car for cab use can be the Zest along with the Etios. Only question mark is the Tata reliability but in space, comfort and boot space the Zest is the best bet.

Quote:

Ford is like a mixed bag. All of a sudden the Ecosport sees a massive dip in numbers
Perhaps due to the facelift model they will launch soon, they had only few in factory if I recollect. But retails numbers for this will surely be different.

Quote:

The Endeavour took a massive jump in numbers. Could it be that buyers were waiting for the Fortuner to launch and after seeing the premium pricing, they went towards the Ford.
Yes, there were guys like me who wanted to experience Fortuner first hand and then decide. In addition, FORD had some great offers on Trend variants on unsold inventories.

Here is the top 20 sellers for the full year 2016.

December 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-2016_top-selling-cars_india.jpg

In the top ten, 6 are from Maruti-Suzuki and 3 are from Hyundai. Kwid is the sole car without a 'S' or 'H' badge.

In the top twenty, Maruti-Suzuki has 11 models while Hyundai has 5. The Innova, Bolero and City are the only models from other brands apart from the Kwid.

2015's new launches - Baleno, Creta and Kwid - have all been blockbusters while the Vitara Brezza, launched in 2016, is following in their footsteps.

Sales of Honda City and Mahindra Bolero are on a free fall and need a quick remedy from the respective manufacturers.

Source: Anything On Wheels

I'm a bit confused. In the first post the OP says this is a dispatch list of cars from manufacturers to dealerships. So then why is the thread titled sales figures analysis?

Isn't a manufacturer's dispatch figure proportionate to their dealership networks and the amount of cars they can stock at their respective warehouses?

Does a dispatch number really represent their monthly sales figures?

Quote:

Originally Posted by arvi86 (Post 4123844)
Here is the top 20 sellers for the full year 2016.

Comparing this with that of the US market:

1. Only 6 of the top 20 are on sale in India.

2. CR-V is the best selling SUV in the US and here it is one of the least selling.

3. Only Alto has the numbers to be in the top 20 in the US.

4. The best selling vehicle in the US sells more than 3 times the numbers Alto sells here.

5. 10 of the top 20 best sellers in the US are made by Asian companies, 9 of which are Japanese, and the other 10 are American. 19 of the 20 best sellers in India are from Asian stables, Kwid being the sole non-Asian. Only 1 Indian manufacturer(Mahindra) is in the top 20.

Source: Anything On Wheels

PS: A separate thread for 2016 Indian car sales may be needed, for better discussion.

Quite a few surprises have sprung up in the overall sales, though not in the top 10 sellers except for minor drops or surges. Some of them are :

1) Elantra - Ends the year as the segment leader and the only car in the segment to hit the 200 mark. The rest are well under the 200 mark with 2nd and 3rd places going to Octavia and Corolla respectively. Seems the Elantra has taken the fight to the former segment leader Corolla and how.

2) i20 vs Baleno - The battle of the Asian big-hatches are always close every month, this time though the i20 takes it comfortably. The Jazz is an equal in terms of dimensions, space and price range but between these two its almost like its watching from a great distance with a modest figure of 1601 units.

3) Tucson has been improving MoM, a surprising result when we were all expecting a surge in the first month followed by drops due to price, but the track record for 3 months is - 200, 261, 424. Santa Fe also finishes off with a 6 month high of 33.

4) Teana sells a half-yearly high of 3 units, perhaps the only car in that price range with Ottoman seats.

5) Nano crosses 1000 for the first time in 6 months, otherwise having a peak number of 700+ units, surely not the sales Tata Motors would've had in mind.

6) Ford Aspire ending with a season high of 2713, looks like the sedan is the preferred shape as the hatchback Figo has racked up 352 units in comparison

Time to reset the months and start all over again for '17! Great thread as usual Aditya.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nithesh_M (Post 4123852)
I'm a bit confused. In the first post the OP says this is a dispatch list of cars from manufacturers to dealerships. So then why is the thread titled sales figures analysis?

Isn't a manufacturer's dispatch figure proportionate to their dealership networks and the amount of cars they can stock at their respective warehouses?

Does a dispatch number really represent their monthly sales figures?

Auto industry reports 'wholesales' as sales and not retails since retailing is done by the channel ( network of dealers ). Retail data will be internal and mostly corresponding to the wholesales but various factors will be in play here like existing stock levels at dealership, factory stock availability for the required models by the dealers etc. Since retail is done by the dealers, they can always 'show' higher retails to gain advantage of the incentives run by the manufacturer - the skew will obviously be seen towards month-end as a direct result of 'push' done by the manufacturer's sales team on the dealers :-) !
December is always a high retail/ low wholesale month. Dealers will want to do stock correction going into the new year and the manufacturers will also be offering higher incentives and retail discounts to push out channel stock.
The real challenge will be for them to push stock to the dealers in the last month of the year - hence they come up with grand consumer schemes to increase retail, 'impending price hike in January' newspaper ads, wholesale-linked retail incentive to the dealers to further help their cause.
Hope things stand clear now !

Regards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dark.knight (Post 4123868)
2) i20 vs Baleno - The battle of the Asian big-hatches are always close every month, this time though the i20 takes it comfortably.

Actually Maruti Suzuki's Baleno continues to lead in the premium hatch segment, if the i20 Active numbers are discounted.
Here is the split in Dec sale - i20 Elite 8450 and i20 Active is 1353.

December 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-capture.jpg

Link

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgmuser (Post 4123714)
Friends
I afraid I'll be not be able to sleep tonight if I don't know how or why Aria sold 6 units last month. Demonetization deal? That too we are on the verge of Hexa being launched.

I see a lot of Aria taxis here in Dehradun. You call up any of the taxi services to book an Innova and you get a confirmation SMS saying 'your booking for Innova/similar vehicle is confirmed'. What you shall get will be an Aria only.
So you get charged for an Innova but end up travelling in an Aria!
I think the dealer/company' must be giving them a very sweet deal on the Aria.

Being a City owner feels bad to see it lose to Ciaz so badly and consistently. Ciaz is supposed to be a segment leader and the car to beat it seems.

Does the Swift Dzire numbers include the tour model as well? If yes than its fine else I don't understand why there are so many people who are ready to sacrifice the practicality over a false status symbol of a sedan.

Hyundai is doing amazing job. All there recent products are a hit and a class above it seems. Even Elantra is doing great in front of Octavia and Corolla. This is may be because of a better than last time 2.0 petrol engine. A better diesel engine can do wonders for them and the segment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 4123632)
Ford is like a mixed bag. All of a sudden the Ecosport sees a massive dip in numbers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaggoswami (Post 4123640)
4) Ford. Ecosport clearly lost the battle with mighty Maruti (Vitara Brezza).

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpcoolguy (Post 4123707)
10. This is the lowest month in 2016 for Creta and Ecosport, the latter's numbers have almost halved - wonder what happened there.

Before finalizing & booking i20, when I checked with Ford dealership here, they had no stock of Ecosport.
So the Ecosport numbers seem more to do with the management decision to reduce production (Facelift coming?)