Team-BHP - December 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   December 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/183196-december-2016-indian-car-sales-figures-analysis-3.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbanator (Post 4123622)
150 Corolla and 25 odd Camry from over 100 Dealers across the country, perhaps a small town in the US will be selling more. Don't know what the guys heading this business smoke, perhaps Toyota is too big and Indian market too small that someone higher up will even notice. Both models are CKD and most of the components come from Thailand or localised and still, they can't find a price point.

One thing to note is the numbers reported are units billed to dealers and not numbers bought by customers.

Its a practice by most manufacturers (especially those who dont throw hefty discounts at year end) to bill lesser numbers to dealers and focus more on clearing their existing stocks and other manufacturers bill more in Dec (those who shell out huge discounts) to lure dealers to stock vehicles with offers.

Hence it isnt a right way to judge purely basis wholesale numbers, what is a correct way is to compare retail numbers, and unfortunately manufacturers do not publish retail numbers to the outside world.

Hence December and March are two month which do not give a clear picture of sales to draw any conclusion.

Referring to Corolla and Camry their yearly average has been close to 400 units & 150 units a month (also segment leaders except for few months), this shows the shrinking segment size in these segments, not to blame OEMs for not showing interest to sell cars in these segments, similarly priced Innova and Fortuner (as against Corolla & Camry) sell almost 15-20x from the same OEM. Hence its also to do with customer preference in these segments.

The dismal sales of the Ford Figo is worrying. For two months in a row, the Figo has done a measly 350 odd units. It is a well priced hatchback with a wonderful diesel mill but still it fails to attract buyers. Probably Ford's marketing team should roll up their sleeves and get the Figo twins to achieve the sales figures they deserve.

Or maybe Ford India is too happy to ignore its bread-and-butter products in favour of its recent success, the Ford Mustang GT. Only God knows !

The Tata Tiago numbers have dropped considerably in December 2016. Production issues or is it that the upcoming Maruti Ignis is making its presence felt? Only time will tell.

With the upcoming Ignis, Swift and Swift Dzire, there will be no stopping Maruti in achieving record sales and market share in FY 2017-18.

Recent price cuts should help Fiat get decent numbers hopefully (if they show some enthusiasm).

The City is consistently selling in low volumes, maybe the facelift will again change things in favour of the Honda.

With a slew of new products slated for launch, the two companies to look out for in FY 2017-18 are Tata Motors and Maruti Suzuki. Eager to see how the Hexa fares in the market. :thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpcoolguy (Post 4123707)
i10 has hit the lowest in its history - time for Hyundai to pull the plug on this little hatch.

They have.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4100849

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbanator (Post 4123622)
150 Corolla and 25 odd Camry from over 100 Dealers across the country

At the like to like price point, they are faring pretty well. India does not have a market for cars above Rs. 1.5MM so from that angle, they are doing reasonably well. Also, the Camry is now almost 4 years old and despite newer cars like Accord and Superb, if it is selling that is the brilliance of the Toyota brand.

Quote:

At the like to like price point, they are faring pretty well. India does not have a market for cars above Rs. 1.5MM so from that angle, they are doing reasonably well
This is a perception, give a VFM product to Indian customers and see the results. Look at Hyundai - check monthly numbers of Creta and if we talk about sedan's have a look at Ciaz.
Quote:

Camry is now almost 4 years old
It's relatively young by Toyota standards :) They need to price both these products better and build a diversified profile. Both of their bread & butter models Innova & Fortuner are at highest risks than ever from new models of Tata & Endeavour. They will surely have to defend this segment much more aggressively than in past.

Quote:

One thing to note is the numbers reported are units billed to dealers and not numbers bought by customers.
Yes, but it's an almost same story for a while.
Quote:

Referring to Corolla and Camry their yearly average has been close to 400 units & 150 units a month (also segment leaders except for few months), this shows the shrinking segment size in these segments, not to blame OEMs for not showing interest to sell cars in these segments, similarly priced Innova and Fortuner (as against Corolla & Camry) sell almost 15-20x from the same OEM
Again I believe most of us go for products where we see value. Please don't tell me that there are not enough customers in India for 2 of the world's largest selling cars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khushrav (Post 4124852)
At the like to like price point, they are faring pretty well. India does not have a market for cars above Rs. 1.5MM so from that angle, they are doing reasonably well. Also, the Camry is now almost 4 years old and despite newer cars like Accord and Superb, if it is selling that is the brilliance of the Toyota brand.

Not that India doesnt have market for cars above 1.5 Mil, Innova sells on an average 7.5k a month, Fortuner which is 3.5 Mil sells close to 2k a month.

Its the customer preference towards utility vehicles at this price point which is reducing numbers from sedans.

Thanks for the data.
What is interesting to note is that, Ford Figo - even with the claim that it is the fastest hatchback available 5-10L price bracket, is not selling much (~300 units). Can't blame demonetization for the low sales. I think the plain design imitating Grand i10 to some extend, and the build that is not so Ford is the reason. Figo equaled strong build quality, which does not show in the new car.
Same is the fate with Honda Jazz. Jazz got relaunched after failing the first time. Now it seems that it would be a sales failure, again. I am saying this in the month of December, but the sales in last few months were not spectacular anyway. Pricing could again be considered disaster here. Baleno / i20 are better priced.
On the other hand, we can see that KUV100 pulling off decent numbers. Low sales - yes. But better than Jazz / Figo. Somehow the product differentiation has hit the masses, and the curves actually attract many buyers. Quirky, but found takers.

Another point to note:
The sales of Amaze > Brio / Jazz, Ameo > Polo, Dzire > Swift, Zest > Bolt, Aspire > Figo. Only exception here is the Grand i10, which outsells Xcent. We can infer from this that, compact sedan segment is here to stay for at least a few years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbanator (Post 4124906)
This is a perception, give a VFM product to Indian customers and see the results. Look at Hyundai - check monthly numbers of Creta and if we talk about sedan's have a look at Ciaz.

Again I believe most of us go for products where we see value. Please don't tell me that there are not enough customers in India for 2 of the world's largest selling cars.

Again its not about VFM products, its preference towards body-type & segments at this price bracket, considering what features Elantra gives we can call it VFM but why isnt it selling as compared to Creta (from same OEM)

Referring Corolla and Camry as one of world's largest selling models and comparing their sales in India is pointless. Why dont you see a diminishing trend of sedans at this price point, all models in these segments are either withdrawing products from these segments or are selling lesser numbers

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbanator (Post 4124906)

Quote:

Originally Posted by slamnos (Post 4124937)
Again its not about VFM products, its preference towards body-type & segments at this price bracket, considering what features Elantra gives we can call it VFM but why isnt it selling as compared to Creta (from same OEM)

Referring Corolla and Camry as one of world's largest selling models and comparing their sales in India is pointless. Why dont you see a diminishing trend of sedans at this price point, all models in these segments are either withdrawing products from these segments or are selling lesser numbers

Indian customers are fundamentally different from that of the other countries. In most of India, car and social status are intimately related. An imposing looking car or a luxury brand(read Germans etc) is considered higher up in the social ladder by most Indians. That is the reason why pseudo SUVs like Creta and other big vehicles like Fortuner and Innova are selling. But higher priced sedans from non-luxury brands are difficult sell in India, because the perceived social status of owning a high priced sedan from a non luxury brand is low compared to an equally priced SUV.

Nissan is still building the Teana? Suprising!

The biggest shock is the Trailblazer though! What a jump, stock clearance for 2016 at hefty discounts maybe?

Ecosport has also taken a major hit, any idea what went wrong?

I was on the look out for replacing my Alto Lxi 2009 Model, and after a lot of deliberation and research, finally went with Honda Jazz VX MT.

Basis my recent interactions with Maruti, Hyundai and Honda dealerships here in Bangalore, it comes as a no surprise that why Maruti and Hyundai are ruling the roost in India. They treat customers really well, very diligent in follow ups, had best offers (in the cars that I was interested in), and have well equipped products.

Experience with Honda dealership, however, was consistently bad :Frustrati. Had I not liked the product, I would have definitely gone with Elite i20. Honda's don't care attitude shows in the numbers month after month. Hope they will wake up soon, and start offering better equipped cars and better customer treatment!

PV sales in India miss 3 million mark in CY2016 by 33,363 units, attributed to the demonetization effect with muted consumer sentiment both in rural and urban markets.

December 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-pvsales2.jpg

For the first nine months of the ongoing FY2016-17 fiscal, total PV numbers add up to 2,243,525, marking a year-on-year growth of 8.59 percent. This number is 756,475 units short of the 3 million mark. Will Indian automakers be able to sell these many passenger vehicles in the next three months, till end-March 2017? - Depends on the new models that are lined up for release in the next 3 months!

December 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-pvsales1.jpg

Link

This month should be treated differently from the others considering the fact that this has come after demonitisation has taken effect. But there are plenty of things that one can discuss. The Nano's sales doubled this month, though they are still a paltry number. Tata should just advertise the car with the price and not try to position it anymore. Cheap, inexpensive, fun, second car all have gone against it. So without trying to position it, if it advertises the car with the price, the Nano still has hope. Tata need not give upon it.

On the other hand, Datsun needs to advertise the Redigo. And should put an AMT in it as soon as possible. There is really no need for the one litre engine in it, on a priority basis. The problem is that it has having to pay second fiddle to the Renault Kwid and that is telling on the sales numbers which began promisingly but are now beginning to taper off. Again the advertising needs to be simple and to the point.

Toyota has been impressive this month. Its Etios has done the kind of numbers that the Honda City and the Ford Figo Aspire have done. But more importantly the Liva has done 4 figure sales while most of its competition has been caught in three figures. If Toyota can keep this up, then it has great possibilities because the Innova and the Fortuner are unstoppable.

Honda which once looked like it could compete with Hyundai is really struggling. The Brio is a sure fire failure at the hustings. The City numbers swing like a pendulum. The Mobilio is down to 151! This is when Maruti is doing number in excess of 6000 with the Ertiga. Honda suddenly looks vulnerable. A company with such brilliant engineering and products oughtn't to be where it is now.

Perhaps as the economy settles down a proper picture will start emerging again. How long is it going to take for the economy to settle down and how strongly will auto companies perform is something that one cannot answer at this point in time I suppose.

Tata taking too much time to launch new products , they should work on cycle time reduction and learn from Mahindra . They have potential to tap the market and reach number 3 spot this year with products lined up .

Ford displaced Hyundai to claim the title of India's biggest exporter. Even though their domestic sales are low, their export volumes are compensating for it.

December 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-screenshot-134_edited.jpg