Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2017, 07:03   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: December 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Indian customers are fundamentally different from that of the other countries.
Quote:
Again its not about VFM products, its preference towards body-type & segments at this price bracket, considering what features Elantra gives we can call it VFM but why isn't it selling as compared to Creta (from same OEM)
This is not only in India but at most of the places including the USA and into luxury segment as well. My only point is that Toyota is not doing enough for in this segment where its Globally No1, I won't agree that this segment is dead and good for so little figures. If Ciaz @ 10 lac or so can sell over 3000 units, how difficult is for Toyota to sell over 1000 units of Corolla if they focus on this segment? Anyways going by discussions on Hexa & Endeavour threads, I am sure they will soon have to think of expanding and let's see how they react.

--------

Over the past few years, growth in the US auto market has been concentrated in crossovers and SUVs - a fact that extends into the luxury segment

http://www.businessinsider.in/merced...w/56364892.cms
Old 12th January 2017, 09:16   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
My only point is that Toyota is not doing enough for in this segment where its Globally No1, I won't agree that this segment is dead and good for so little figures. If Ciaz @ 10 lac or so can sell over 3000 units, how difficult is for Toyota to sell over 1000 units of Corolla if they focus on this segment?
Firstly Ciaz & Corolla are not from same segment, if you want to compare Corolla please compare it with Octavia, Elantra, Jetta etc.

If you think Toyota isnt doing much for Corolla then how would you comment on Honda who have withdrawn Civic or many other manufacturers who have withdrawn products from this segment? What happened to Cruze? Why isnt anyone in that segment selling?

I have already mentioned in earlier post, that within the same price bracket manufacturers are selling more SUVs,MPVs in their line up than Sedans
Old 12th January 2017, 09:53   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Over the past few years, growth in the US auto market has been concentrated in crossovers and SUVs - a fact that extends into the luxury segment
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamnos View Post
I have already mentioned in earlier post, that within the same price bracket manufacturers are selling more SUVs,MPVs in their line up than Sedans
I am going to wade into this discussion with some numbers.

Since in India, the C2 segment is effectively the entry level luxury segment, I have analysed C2 segment sales (per the monthly sales threads here in this forum) starting August 2010, broken down by sedan and SUV/MUV.

In the 2nd half of 2010, the sedans on offer were the Chevy Optra, Mitsubishi Cedia, Fiat Linea, Maruti SX4, Hyundai Verna and Honda City. The VW Vento was launched in September 2010. The other vehicles on offer in that price bracket were the Mahindra Scorpio and Xylo, Toyota Innova, and Tata Safari. The Aria was launched in October - and we all know how much of an impact that had (read: none)!!

Sales figures for 2010 Aug-Dec are:
C2 segment made up 11.46% of the total market. Sedans 51,431 (5.26%), SUV/MUV 60,586 (6.20%)

Sales in 2011 was pretty much the same story as 2010. There were no new SUV/MUV launches.
C2 segment made up 12.4% of the total market. Sedans 1,48,707 (6.17%), SUV/MUV 1,50,091 (6.23%)

But 2012 onwards, the story changes. We got the Ertiga and Duster that year, which together added about 10K per month to the segment without affecting the sales of sedans!
By the time we get to 2016, the segment loses the Toyota Innova (we lost it somewhere in 2014, with a price hike coming with each facelift) but gains Ecosport, Terrano (both launched 2013), Mobilio (2014), new versions of Safari, Scorpio & Xylo. In 2015 we got the S-Cross, Lodgy, TUV300 & Creta. And finally, this year, we got the BR-V (Mobilio replacement) and Vitara Brezza.
In the sedan space, we lost the Chevy Optra & Mitsubishi Cedia, gained (and very quickly) lost the Ford Fiesta, had the SX4 replaced by the Ciaz, and gained the Skoda Rapid. The Hyundai Verna got a facelift, a new version, and another facelift. The Honda City soldiers on, with a facelift and a new version launched in those intervening years.

Sales figures for 2016 are:
C2 segment made up 20.76% of the total market. Sedans 1,59,223 (5.45%), SUV/MUV 4,47,297 (15.31%).

In the C2 segment, sedan sales seem to have more or less stagnated. All the action is in the SUV/MUV/Crossover body types, reflecting international trends.

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 12th January 2017 at 09:59.
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2017, 10:05   #49
Team-BHP Support

These discussions should be posted in thread where we debate Sedan vs SUV probably

Quote:
If you think Toyota isnt doing much for Corolla then how would you comment on Honda who have withdrawn Civic or many other manufacturers who have withdrawn products from this segment? What happened to Cruze? Why isnt anyone in that segment selling?
I think its combination of many things, manufacturers greed & the general perception about Indian customers. Most of the guys used to think Maruti will never able to challenge City and will fail if they launch premium sedans, they did in past but look where are they now. I am sure if Maruti can launch Kizashi by assembling here this whole segment will see a change. There are enough customers in India going to upgrade from regular hatchbacks. Give them a decent sedan & see the numbers. Because Toyota does not have a comparable product to compete in lower segments they should have been more aggressive in this segment, not the other way.

I am nowhere suggesting that this segment will overtake or do comparable numbers to SUV or Crossovers but by selling less than 500 of a product like Corolla in a market as big as India is something which guys at Toyota HQ should be concerned if they get time to look at Indian operations.

Last edited by Turbanator : 12th January 2017 at 10:10.
Old 12th January 2017, 10:26   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Sales figures for 2016 are:
C2 segment made up 20.76% of the total market. Sedans 1,59,223 (5.45%), SUV/MUV 4,47,297 (15.31%).

In the C2 segment, sedan sales seem to have more or less stagnated. All the action is in the SUV/MUV/Crossover body types, reflecting international trends.
Thank you for your effort on the analysis, yes the SUV, MPV segments have increased their share in C2.

However the discussion is primarily on D1 & D2 which is now dominated by ultility vehicles
Old 12th January 2017, 10:38   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamnos View Post
However the discussion is primarily on D1 & D2 which is now dominated by ultility vehicles
The D-Segment has a thread of its own: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ura-et-al.html
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2017, 17:28   #52
Senior - BHPian

I did a quick google search on the number of car dealerships for each manufacturer to try to understand the high numbers of Maruti and Hyundai and its clear why they are no. 1 and no.2 car makers in the country. Maruti has more than 960 while Hyundai a little above 650 dealers across India. Ford and Toyota each have around 250 with Renault slightly less at 230. No wonder more people walk into Maruti and Hyundai showrooms than say a Ford or a Renault. Of course I agree this is a highly skewed way of looking at things but just another view on why Maruti and Hyundai are so popular.
SPARKled is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2017, 20:11   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
I did a quick google search on the number of car dealerships for each manufacturer to try to understand the high numbers of Maruti and Hyunda....No wonder more people walk into Maruti and Hyundai showrooms than say a Ford or a Renault. Of course I agree this is a highly skewed way of looking at things but just another view on why Maruti and Hyundai are so popular.
I think it works both ways. Dealerships cannot operate below the sustainable volumes, in sales, service and spares. So they tend to concentrate in cities and bigger towns. Which means they are inaccessible to vast number of people.
Old 14th January 2017, 18:25   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Maruti has more than 960 while Hyundai a little above 650 dealers across India. Ford and Toyota each have around 250 with Renault slightly less at 230.
Maruti has more than 1800 Sales outlets across India. I'm not sure what is this 960 for Maruti.
Old 16th January 2017, 17:42   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
Maruti has more than 1800 Sales outlets across India. I'm not sure what is this 960 for Maruti.
The data is from Cardekho on google. I have no idea on the authenticity of it. My point being Maruti and Hyundai having the largest presence in India compared to the rest.
Old 1st February 2017, 20:56   #56
Senior - BHPian

Auto Industry starts 2017 Calander Year with a Bang, Registers 15% Overall Growth.

Quote:
Passenger vehicle sales increased from a year earlier in January, the fastest in four months and after a marginal drop in December that was blamed on the post-demonetisation currency crunch.
Quote:
Manufacturers sold 2.66 lakh cars, utility vehicles and vans in January, according to sales numbers released by automakers and industry estimates. The comparison got a little help from a low base for the year-earlier month, when the industry was reeling under a court-imposed ban on large diesel-powered vehicles in the National Capital Region.
Name:  Screenshot_201702012038211.png
Views: 1314
Size:  52.9 KB

Leading Car Manufacturer Maruti Suzuki Registered an Impressive growth of 25.7% for January 2017.

High Demand For New "Quirky" Ignis, Baleno & Vitara Brezza

Ciaz sold 6530 units while Rival City sold 6355 units.

A Positive Sign for Automotive Industry for this FY.

Link

Last edited by CarguyNish : 1st February 2017 at 21:15.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed