Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2007, 13:17   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Its not possible to add ABS or airbags to a Esteem, the car is not designed keeping that in mind, high time MUL called it a day for the Esteem, its become highly outdated, when Honda can outdo with the OHC, Toyota with the qualis when both were selling well then what the hell is MUL doing
Hey I never mentioned Airbags knowing that I'd be real real hard to integrate them in the car, but ABS (allowing steering even during wheel locking amongst other things) and EBD don't require any heavy parts to be added. Please correct me if I am wrong, but they require electronic control units (sensors) and valves to regulate the brake force and tire spin. I don't think (again do correct me if I am wrong) that's got to do anything with the Engine design, Fuel (& injection) Systems. The only changes I see are to the braking system. But then, when a car is selling and doing so well on the roads, why change it!
Old 25th July 2007, 14:23   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no View Post
Accept this.
The Esteem is nothing without its G13B engine.
This is the same case with the Accent CRDi too.
Accepted. Even the Ferrari is nothing without it's engine. come to think of it, no car is worth anything without it's engine.
Old 25th July 2007, 15:20   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
Hey I never mentioned Airbags knowing that I'd be real real hard to integrate them in the car, but ABS (allowing steering even during wheel locking amongst other things) and EBD don't require any heavy parts to be added. Please correct me if I am wrong, but they require electronic control units (sensors) and valves to regulate the brake force and tire spin. I don't think (again do correct me if I am wrong) that's got to do anything with the Engine design, Fuel (& injection) Systems. The only changes I see are to the braking system. But then, when a car is selling and doing so well on the roads, why change it!
i don't think ABS and EBD can be added now when they weren't thought of during design. One ford guy told me that all cars WOULD have provisions for Airbag, ABS, etc - to keep costs lower, manufacturers aren't giving it in many models. Not sure how far it is true, if YES and if Esteem has this, then MUL should definitely think of it.

But I am noticing one thing in that segment (Esteem, Indigo, Accent, IKon). Not many models available and many varients are stopped already (Accent now has only GLE version available, IKon only one version) and are pushing customers for next segment (Accent->Verna, IKon->Fiesta).

If Esteem is renewed with better look, more features, etc keeping price not very much hiked, then MUL has winner in that segment for sure.
Old 25th July 2007, 16:17   #49
BHPian

i said so because baleno is a lot more handsome to look at than the esteem and its engine is also better than esteem's. so if they could make the baleno and sell it at the same price as the esteem, discontinuing the esteem would not be a problem.
Old 25th July 2007, 16:28   #50
RMB
BHPian

I agree with you guys..esteem is good car..

I bought a second hand Esteem VXi (2004) with low mileage(16k) recently..and have done 5k in three months..

The Engine and driving experience is good..but the body shell and brakes are really bad. They need abs badly..

But you cant get all for so less..and its fun to drive..
Old 25th July 2007, 17:04   #51
BHPian

i mentioned earlier in the forums that MUL going to Discontinue Esteem from December 2007, they have continues Esteem so long only becoz of heavy orders from TAXI comapnies

But now they have decided to stop producing Esteem from December onwards and they have a replacement ready for Esteem i.e Swift Sedan
after Esteem this time they are not going to delay the launch of Swift Sedan may be they have learnt from their mistake ( New Zen launch after 7-8 months).... they are going to launch Swift Sedan in Jan or Feb 08 ..... so guys now its time to say good bye to the one of the best sedans ( in India) and welcome the new Swift Sedan which will be going to rock this segment
Old 25th July 2007, 17:07   #52
Senior - BHPian

its maruti's(suzuki) this attitude, that makes maruti(suzuki) inferior to toyota and honda (apart from the cars they have to offer).
suzuki is only interested in making money and nothing else.,unlike toyota or honda who like to be a mark on future generation irrespectie of their sales.hence their snob value is higher
why am i saying this? well- on the bases of these cases
case 1:toyota was selling qualis very succesfully and still they replaced it with innova,rather than selling them simultanously
case 2:the old honda city was a machine loved many yet replaced by NHC which could be sold as honda fit aria
case 3:as sathya nars said even ford and hyundai are updating their range of cars

these three cases show the pain these companies take to give us better products not just to make money

now launch of swift,sx4 and escudo/grand vitatra can pull us towards it
but esteem and estilo are a disappointment,esteen is likly to get replced.
i know that earlier in this forum,the comments on the looks of estilo were considered as personal taste ,but i still point my finger at estilo because(it doesnt matter if they sell good numbers):-
if we look closely at the design and the asthetics of the vehicle and the exterior looks,you will see that this design is a decade old,fit for competing with models like the 1998 santro,indica or matiz.
looks wise santro xing and spark appear more sophisticated than estilo.
(however i dont have much information reguarding the interior so i will limit by post at exterior looks)
Old 25th July 2007, 17:44   #53
Senior - BHPian

Esteem sells not only because of its engine but also because its super value for money.Which sedan do u get in that range with that kind of power and mileage?and if you are considering the design point of view thats subjective.Many people here own estilos and uva which according to me might not be good looking but still they like it and drive around in it.
And if you are talkin about age old design which has not been updated since many ages so what..look at the competition they aint no Maryln Monroe either.
Old 25th July 2007, 17:47   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
unlike toyota or honda who like to be a mark on future generation irrespectie of their sales.
What about the existing corolla,its a generation behind compared to its competition.
Old 25th July 2007, 18:07   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMATMO View Post
suzuki is only interested in making money and nothing else.,unlike toyota or honda who like to be a mark on future generation irrespectie of their sales.hence their snob value is higher
This is a very loose statement. I do not say this because I own a Maruti. Toyota brought the Qualis in India to make money so that it could fund their future operations.

Why would a manufacturer well known globally for their quality cars bring in a long outdated Kijang in India?? Why not Corolla, Camry or Yaris?? Qualis did excellant numbers and the premium on it help fund their future operations and increase brand image in the country.

Please understand no manufacturer is in business to pamper us with goodies. They are all out to make money and we are here to enjoy their cars.
Old 25th July 2007, 18:23   #56
Senior - BHPian

Well every manufacturer is interested in making money. Not just Maruti Suzuki. Some people tend to think that Maruti cars are flimsy, have poor built quality and all, so its taking the common man for a ride. But what these people turn a blind eye to , is the fact that what you get for your money, in the end, is totally worth it (VFM), and more. A car is not just about "TANK like build quality" or "reassuring thuds" (and calling these parameters cornerstone of safety is both controversial and debatable). Performance, fuel efficiency, After sales network, easy availability and cheap cost of spare parts, are equally important parameters. And thats where Maruti eats the competition.
Esteem is just one of the examples. Yes, its an outdated car, but as long as it sells, who cares.

Last edited by DCEite : 25th July 2007 at 20:13.
Old 25th July 2007, 18:24   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartmundu View Post

But now they have decided to stop producing Esteem from December onwards and they have a replacement ready for Esteem i.e Swift Sedan
after Esteem this time they are not going to delay the launch of Swift Sedan may be they have learnt from their mistake ( New Zen launch after 7-8 months).... they are going to launch Swift Sedan in Jan or Feb 08 ..... so guys now its time to say good bye to the one of the best sedans ( in India) and welcome the new Swift Sedan which will be going to rock this segment
Swift sedan??? Isn't it already launched (SX4)? Am I missing something here?
Old 25th July 2007, 18:53   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Performance, fuel efficiency, After sales network, easy availability and cheap cost of spare parts, are equally important parameters.
Correctly said. A manufacturer who cannot offer these benefits to the consumer, is not doing justice. Else they are only targeting niche segments of the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_nars View Post
Swift sedan??? Isn't it already launched (SX4)? Am I missing something here?
SX4 is not the swift sedan. Its a totally new platform. Although its selling well, we can expect Maruti to upgrade the Esteem shortly.
Old 25th July 2007, 19:26   #59
Senior - BHPian

The Esteem replacement is called the Liana I believe. The SX 4 is the sedan based on the Swift Platform . Liana would be smaller and lighter but with the SX4 priced the way it is Maruti may have a problem to position the car and price it in such a manner as not to cannibalize SX4 sales.
Old 25th July 2007, 20:19   #60
Senior - BHPian

esteem is still a decent car. i owned one and loved it to bits. but now its time for some fresh blood....enter swift sedan (1.6..?)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks