Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2017, 12:25   #31
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Scoop! Ford Figo & Aspire lose features across the range

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
I can safely say that most prospective car buyers in many of the entry segments will evaluate all the various brands and finally end up at Maruti or Hyundai's shop.
And rightly so! Maruti & Hyundai offer the widest range of products, they keep launching new models, most of their products are VFM and they have excellent after-sales.

Goodwill & trust are built after years of painstaking effort. You don't get it by chance.

If Maruti & Hyundai have a combined 65% of the market, it is well deserved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
To digress a bit from the main topic - sounds like one of the Big 5 consulting firms to me.
Thanks! Awesome post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Unfortunately those few who prefer the other brands rely on internet comparisons and discussions where Ford, now would be criticized for cost-cutting on some features.
Perception is very important to car makers; brand Ford is attracting negative equity by doing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
I have seen quite often in T-BHP, MBAs (which I think is refrence to decision making middle or even senior management) being lashed at. But in all fairness to them these are also human beings.
Hey, I'm an MBA myself .

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
But what I really don't understand is how much real money Ford is gaining from each of these feature cut. What does this exercise actually transform into?
Well said! This is being penny wise & pound foolish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Month on month, the commodity cost keep rising and falling but the steep rise in last 4 months is alarming and abnormal.
How come other car makers aren't cutting features then? Did you check the EcoSport thread? The problem with Ford is they have a habit of doing this. Remember how the EcoSport's Titanium variants lost features within months of launch?
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2017, 13:36   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
To me, its not fair to condemn a manufacturer as stupid and useless without understanding the reasons.
Hence, I am just trying to present the facts and current challenges in manufacturing.
Month on month, the commodity cost keep rising and falling but the steep rise in last 4 months is alarming and abnormal.
Strategy may vary but prices aren't going down for sure !!

Small players ....the price.

I work ... pricing.
In China, Coking factories are being shutdown resulting in steel price going up by more than Rs 12 per kg.
Similarly in Africa, due to some turbulence there is severe rise in Zinc prices. Impacting all electronics.
Agree that input costs are rising, plus the strong $ is not likely to go below certain point, atleast in foreseeable future.

However, gunning for margin at the cost of volumes is something of last ditch resort. Something, only those with significant brand value can afford, else the long term effect could be damaging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Goodwill & trust are built after years of painstaking effort. You don't get it by chance.
Perception is very important to car makers; brand Ford is attracting negative equity by doing this.
Figo is a surprising case. When launched, the first generation did win customers even with not so strong motors. There wasn't a huge baggage with the brand Figo itself. Now, with the diesel specially very strong, somehow, the sales are redefining troughs for the model. Probably the association with first generation Figo's build which was more European than Japanese/Korean could be a factor.

With the reduction in feature list, there will be a serious implication on trust factor, a factor which was already shaky with price reductions/adjustments. All this when the real results of Ford's effort to reduce prices of spares are showing up ( ACI's part survey ).

Moreover, Ford's car business is not doing that well in USA as compared to SUV/Truck. Sales of Focus, Fiesta and Fusion have fallen, but strong sales of F-Series, Escape, increase in shipments of Expedition (its quite outdated now), Edge, Transit is helping them.

Looks like Ford India is going the same way, SUV's are selling more consistently than hatchback/sedans.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 11th January 2017 at 13:38.
aaggoswami is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th January 2017, 13:57   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post

Height adjustable seat belts offered with the Titanium variant have been removed, and will now be offered only with the top-end Titanium+ trim level. Moreover, the driver-side vanity mirror, which was earlier available in the Trend, Titanium and Titanium+ models, has been removed from all variants.
I have Titanium variant and though the omission list is of just 2 features but are used by me.

1. Driver vanity mirror - don't know if wifey uses it much while in the driving seat but I do use it to check up on my daughter sitting behind in her child seat when I am driving alone with her. It gives me perfect view of the left rear seat.

2. Height adjustable seat belt - though we don't adjust the seat belts regularly but when my dad sits in the passenger seat it has to be adjusted to make him comfortable and to keep him wearing seat belt. More often than not, he prefers rear seats though.

Now, will these feature deletions be deal-breaker for future buyers? I seriously don't think so. The car has much more positives to highlight than these omissions. The numbers don't reflect that is a different story altogether.

If Hyundai can get away from providing 5 airbags to 2 airbags in i20, I think this should not be such a big deal.

It's wrong alright, but not definitely a deal breaker.
teemus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2017, 14:02   #34
Team-BHP Support

This is the one continuing nemesis with Ford. I'm very happy that they're launching great models which for most part seem well intentioned on price / value; core product strength; engine; features etc. Service and reliability seem on the up to.

However, they then seem to tinker around too much with the features, or pricing and bring a general air of instability to the product and irritability to the customer.

However pleased early adopters of the Endy may be with the product, I can't imagine the huge price cuts so soon after launch going down well with them. In that sense, optically even discounts are more palatable than outright price cuts.
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2017, 14:46   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemus View Post
I have Titanium variant and though the omission list is of just 2 features but are used by me.

1. Driver vanity mirror - ....

2. Height adjustable seat belt - .....

Now, will these feature deletions be deal-breaker for future buyers? I seriously don't think so. The car has much more positives to highlight than these omissions. The numbers don't reflect that is a different story altogether.

If Hyundai can get away from providing 5 airbags to 2 airbags in i20, I think this should not be such a big deal. .....
Indeed the feature deletion is not a deal breaker and it is relatively minute in the figo. But comparing it with Hyundai is not justified. Hyundai managed to provide a much superior package and the omissions in the elite i20 were done in a planned and justified manner. But this is not the case of ford. What ford has done considering even the ecosport updates, is purely foolish especially considering the price hike.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 11th January 2017 at 14:49. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
blackbandit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2017, 15:08   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbandit View Post
Indeed the feature deletion is not a deal breaker and it is relatively minute in the figo. But comparing it with Hyundai is not justified. Hyundai managed to provide a much superior package and the omissions in the elite i20 were done in a planned and justified manner. But this is not the case of ford. What ford has done considering even the ecosport updates, is purely foolish especially considering the price hike.
Agree that Hyundai managed to provide a superior package but still there was a path-breaker i20 which was shod with 5 airbags in a time when some bigger sedans didn't even provide that! Now, even if one has a budget and is in love with i20 he CANNOT get a 5 airbag version.

Imagine the brickbats Ford would have received if the Titanium+ would have omitted the additional 3 airbags!

In the hindsight, I have to admit that I sorely regret not going for Titanium+; I went out with a budget of 7L but stretched it to 8L as was floored by the sweet 1.5D. Titanium+ was a stretch of 90K more and was difficult. I should have looked at it as the increase in EMI cost only and now it seems that it was possible. *sigh*

Sorry for digressing from the topic; coming back to it, Figo already has hit rock-bottom in terms of sales, these minute changes cannot do it much harm than what it is enduring now, isn't it?

One more thing regarding low sales volume, the car is surely a rarity on the road and even after 15 months of ownership it manages to attract a few glances here and there. Take that Baleno and Brezza!!
teemus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2017, 15:31   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Agree that Hyundai managed to provide a superior package but still there was a path-breaker i20 which was shod with 5 airbags in a time when some bigger sedans didn't even provide that! Now, even if one has a budget and is in love with i20 he CANNOT get a 5 airbag version.

Imagine the brickbats Ford would have received if the Titanium+ would have omitted the additional 3 airbags!
Truly said!! But my fair share of thought in this matter. Yes ford or any another manufacturer in that case would be criticised if the additional airbags were removed. But if we notice carefully we find that the titanium plus variant hardly hit the market. Only a small sect of people who felt the need of additional security have gone for it. Must have been the case for i20 as well. And it might have been an issue to pack so many segment first features and bring in the 5 airbags as well within the VFM price tag. So they might have decided to skimp it off. And Hyundai did it with a completely new product which is not the case of ford. So If Ford too goes the hyundai way and provide a new impressive refreshing package by skimping off on the additional airbags i don't think it would be a issue raised by most.

Quote:
One more thing regarding low sales volume, the car is surely a rarity on the road and even after 15 months of ownership it manages to attract a few glances here and there. Take that Baleno and Brezza!!
This is one thing that makes me smile too!! And Aiding to my color choice black it surely does attract attention and i have had instances of people enquiring details of the car with me as well.
blackbandit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2017, 09:42   #38
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Figo is a surprising case. When launched, the first generation did win customers even with not so strong motors. There wasn't a huge baggage with the brand Figo itself. Now, with the diesel specially very strong, somehow, the sales are redefining troughs for the model. Probably the association with first generation Figo's build which was more European than Japanese/Korean could be a factor.
1st-gen Figo was also helped by its mouth-watering price, and the competitive landscape wasn't as brutal then. Old Figo had a very good run in the initial years.

Quote:
Agree that Hyundai managed to provide a superior package but still there was a path-breaker i20 which was shod with 5 airbags in a time when some bigger sedans didn't even provide that!
6 airbags buddy.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th January 2017, 13:11   #39
BHPian

Quote:
As GTO mentioned, it was 6 airbags in Hyundai as in the Figo Titanium+. And it was not deleted in the same model, it was in the next generation(Elite i20). BTW, 6 Airbags is back again in Elite i20. It was re-introduced some time back.

http://www.hyundai.com/in/en/Showroo...ontents_safety

Quote:
1st-gen Figo was also helped by its mouth-watering price, and the competitive landscape wasn't as brutal then. Old Figo had a very good run in the initial years.

6 airbags buddy.
Agree, it was very VFM and even today I see such a huge number of old Figos in my town and in my own family.

Last edited by jetti : 12th January 2017 at 13:13. Reason: Added link
jetti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2017, 12:41   #40
Team-BHP Support

Bang for the buck it surely was!

Brilliant Ford build and dynamics, lovely steering, dual airbags, decent OEM HU with telephony, electric ORVMs, lane change and emergency braking indicators, remote boot opener, all-black interiors, decent cabin and boot space. The 1.2 Duratec wasn't a patch on its elder sibling, but had enough go for a sedate commuter. And oh the roar when revved, I still rev dad's car just to hear it go vroom (aural pleasure only, it doesn't go anywhere near quick really)

All that for 5.1L on-road for the Petrol Titanium in mid-2010. There wasn't anything even remotely comparable for that price then, an Alto costs more today!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 13th January 2017 at 12:51.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2017, 13:42   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Hey, I'm an MBA myself .
[OT]

this means zippers and the hoods are a factory option for the upcoming hoodies, isn't it?

Old 13th February 2017, 19:15   #42
BHPian

Visited a Ford showroom and there is absolute chaos regarding the changed features.
It appears that the Titanium+ variant is no longer available.
The new Titanium (o) variant will have the following additional features:
1. 15 inch Alloys
2. Roof paint - Two tone
3. Decals
4. Leather wrapped steering wheel with stitches of different colour.
5. 4 Additional Airbags.
6. Two tone OVRM.
7. Honeycomb grille in front.
8. Rear spoiler.

Prices are most likely to be the same as the Titanium+ variant.

I am now considering the Baleno RS in a big way!
raichoudhury is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 19:38   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raichoudhury View Post
Visited a Ford showroom and there is absolute chaos regarding the changed features.
1. 15 inch Alloys
2. Roof paint - Two tone
3. Decals
5. 4 Additional Airbags.
6. Two tone OVRM.
8. Rear spoiler.

I did not understand the reason for you being disappointed at this and choosing the Baleno RS. 6 airbags with 15 inch alloys is something that everyone here badly wanted was crying hoarse about. I think this will really make a lot of enthusiasts go for the Figo than ever before.

Last edited by SPARKled : 13th February 2017 at 19:39.
SPARKled is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 19:42   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raichoudhury View Post
1. 15 inch Alloys
2. Roof paint - Two tone
3. Decals
5. 4 Additional Airbags.
6. Two tone OVRM.
8. Rear spoiler.

Highly doubtful information. The Titanium (optional) already comes with 6 airbags and the alloys. All other things in the list look like accessories that the dealer has added. Seems like the dealer is putting across a fast one.

Please contact Ford customer care and confirm.

I just did and this is the response I got "Sir, I would like to inform you that as of now there is no such official update for the same."

- Sam

Last edited by samaspire : 13th February 2017 at 19:48.
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 19:45   #45
BHPian

It is the lack of clarity from a company as big as Ford which makes prospective buyers run away.
The Punto Abarth is a great driver's car; so are the GT twins.
Why are they not extremely successful. One of the reasons may be lack of clarity and transparency.

Last edited by raichoudhury : 13th February 2017 at 20:00.

Most Viewed