Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2017, 01:39   #16
BANNED

Re: 2016 Report Card - Annual Indian Car Sales & Analysis!

Tata Motors

Name:  Tata.png
Views: 7200
Size:  9.4 KB

Zest is the best performer if the Tiago is not considered as the Tiago is a fresh launch and there would be no data to compare. All cars in the portfolio are in the negative scale on YOY.

2016 Report Card - Annual Indian Car Sales & Analysis!-tata-chart.jpg

It is just the Zest that is sitting over the positive side with 2% growth compared to last year. Tiago is the only saving grace for the total sales dispatches in 2016 with a contribution of 30% followed by Zest (17.8%), Indica/Vista (16.5%).

In the No.: 1 position when sales drop is considered, Nano is the one with a drop in 12K units over 2015 followed by Indica/Vista loosing 11K units.

Tata seriously needs to revisit their functioning strategy and train their Sales + ASC’s staff to learn on how to deal with customers and how to sell cars when their showroom has quite a few of them that can fetch Tata some fantastic numbers. I feel Tata is banking on Tiago and the yet to be launched HEXA.

Last edited by a4anurag : 20th January 2017 at 01:46.
a4anurag is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 20th January 2017, 01:40   #17
BANNED

Toyota

2016 Report Card - Annual Indian Car Sales & Analysis!-toyota.jpg

For Toyota, their bread and butter comes from Innova, Liva and Etios with their contribution in the total sales is 53%, 23% and 11% respectively.

2016 Report Card - Annual Indian Car Sales & Analysis!-toyota-chart.jpg

Camry and Innova are the only two cars that have grown in sales by 35% and 18% respectively. Innova gained 11K units over 2015 which shows how our country loves this car even though it priced horrendously. The All-New Innova too could be the main reasons for these high figures.

The other car that has sold well, I mean on the gaining side on the Y-O-Y scale, is the Land Cruiser at 168 units, a jump of 50 units from 118 units in 2015
a4anurag is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 20th January 2017, 01:42   #18
BANNED

Volkswagen

2016 Report Card - Annual Indian Car Sales & Analysis!-vw.jpg

Another bad performer in the Indian market with sales plunging further this year too.

2016 Report Card - Annual Indian Car Sales & Analysis!-vw-chart.jpg

Their 29 lakh car, Beetle is the best performing one for the year gaining 70 units and exhibiting a growth by 130%. Unbelievable, I know.

Rest all the cars have been losing sales be it the Vento or the Polo. IMO it is time something fresh is launched that doesn’t look like the Polo in any angle. N’ number of facelift have come and gone, the interiors still have the same look when they launched the Polo first.

Ameo being a newbie is yet to prove its worth since VW is having high hopes on this car to get some market share from Dzire in the C1 sedan segment. It moved out 12K units in this year whereby the coming months will give a better picture on how well the Indian customer has accepted the car.
a4anurag is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 21st January 2017, 21:54   #19
BANNED

Great effort Anurag, in collating and presenting the whole year data!

Once again proved from these charts: new competitive launches and thorough product refreshments are the only way to improve and sustain the market share.

Maruti did it with Brezza, Tata with Tiago, Renault with Kwid...

Maruti ensures this, by out of the numerous models they have in their lineup, atleast 2 / 3 products are launched / refreshed every year. 2017 will be no different for them, with launches like Ignis, new DZire and Ciaz.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 21st January 2017 at 22:04.
romeomidhun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2017, 22:33   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the compilation,
Here are the top players in the hatch, sedan and UV with AVG sales/month figures,

Top selling Hatchbacks of 2016 –

2016 Report Card - Annual Indian Car Sales & Analysis!-23.jpg

Top selling Sedans of 2016-

2016 Report Card - Annual Indian Car Sales & Analysis!-32.jpg

Top selling UVs (MUVs/SUVs) of 2016 –

2016 Report Card - Annual Indian Car Sales & Analysis!-41.jpg

Source-Link
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st January 2017, 23:02   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Presenting the 2016 Report Card - Annual Indian Sales
Top Gainers chart should include Tata as they witnessed a 3.4% jump in sales. Also Tata should not be in the Top losers category as their sales increased from 1,38,244 to 1,42,962
Attached Thumbnails
2016 Report Card - Annual Indian Car Sales & Analysis!-top-gain-losers-manufacturers.jpg  

damager21 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st January 2017, 23:17   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
Top Gainers chart should include Tata as they witnessed a 3.4% jump in sales. Also Tata should not be in the Top losers category as their sales increased from 1,38,244 to 1,42,962
Thank you pointing the mistake. I have corrected the error.

2016 Report Card - Annual Indian Car Sales & Analysis!-2.-top-gain-losers-manufacturers.jpg
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 11:39   #23
BHPian

Great summary. Honda witnessed there worst year in my opinion. Except City none of there product seem competitive anymore. There pricing is worst in all the segments including City's and on top of that there arrogant sales team is just adding more woes.

Hyundai and Maruti are in a different league it seems. They both keep launching new products which are not just good but are sales chartbusters as well.

Volkswagen, Skoda and Ford need to change there image or else they may also face the same fate as Chevrolet. They have very good products but people perception is very different about them. I don't know why they can't adopt Hyundai/Kia policies, they both offer 5-7 years unlimited kilometres warranty in US and price there vehicles reasonably. I don't know the financial impact of this but if you trust your products than you should back it with a solid warranty to gain people's trust.

Tata should design new cars and not just keep bringing facelifts with new names. Tiago has proved that a fresh design will bring good sales. Tata Safari has only got facelifts in last 20 years it seems and Hexa is also Aria facelift with a new name. Same is the case with Bolt & Zest.
//M6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 12:17   #24
BHPian

Great compilation and analysis.
Gives a wonderful overview of the Indian car market.

I know this thread is regarding market share in terms of quantity sold. But is it possible to also get data regarding the sales in terms of monetary value or profits? I don't know if any industry body releases those figures. In terms of business, a relatively lower volume player like Toyota or even Skoda might be making more money than say Renault. Would defintely add another dimension to the already wonderful monthly analysis that Teambhp provides.
N.r.K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 12:46   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Ford

Anyone who is interested to know what happens to products that are brilliant in most parameters but still don’t sell well as competition, just point a finger at Ford India. Figo and Aspire, these two cars though similar in many regards have everything to dethrone the leaders of the market current but still that feat is no-where in sight. It is just chugging along the road with no real efforts from the management to push the cars of the shelf based on merit.

Graph is atleast looking to be on the growing side from 2014 which was their worst year so far. Now it looks that they are achieving to reach the same sales how they had got in 2011.

With 19000 copies dispatched in 2016 of the Aspire, Maruti did the same figure in July’16. Same is the case with Figo hatch at 15K units sold in the whole year of 2016 where Maruti did the same number with Swift in the month of Feb’16. Isn’t that a proof of what marketing and sales team has to do which they aren’t doing since launch?!

I see EcoSport doing a consistent 4K units a month whereas the Aspire and Figo are at 1.5-2K units.

This year saw them selling 9000 units compared to 2015 where the major contribution was from Endeavour dispatches. Only the Figo was in the negative side of the scale whereas Aspire, Endeavour and EcoSport were on the positive side.

Can someone tell the management at Ford to NOT remove features and hike prices? This has a by and large negative effect in the minds of the customer. Even though their cars have a VFM tag at the time of launch, as days pass by, features go down and prices go up. Not the way if the manufacturer is interested to gain market share.

A question GTO left asking in the 2015 Report Card for Ford:

Sadly it couldn’t hit the 1 lakh units mark in this year even with fantastic cars in their portfolio that can make the competition run for cover.
I completely agree with you on the aspect of the cars being fantastic but it's not the marketing or the cars that are pegging ford back , but i guess it is their supply chain/operations.
who in their mind keeps a 60 day pre ordering scheme for their dealers whereby the dealers have to decide on colors, trims and variants without having customer orders, same with their newly launched cars.
Those which do not find takers are heavily discounted, others have a 60 day waiting period.
On enquiring for a figo automatic, i was offered an aspire in a different color at a cost lesser than figo and a 60 day waiting on ordering a color of my choice
dhruvritzed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 14:30   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent effort Anurag and many thanks for compiling all that data in one place. I am really still unable to digest how a manufacturer like Nissan with its Japanese heritage is looking so clueless in a market where Suzuki is selling 10L+ cars and Toyota is able to command a never thought before price for the Innova. Their dealers are shutting shop, no new models are being introduced, no marketing efforts to promote the current offerings and the list just goes on. Apart from service woes, my Sunny XLD still makes me feel it is such an excellent product for our country with a small foot print relative to its interior and boot space, good features ( the base XLD also came with airbags and ABS and rear AC vents) and last but not the least a very peppy engine which makes city driving a breeze. On top of all this it is priced competitively. Even after all this they are unable to sell it and have successfully killed the product now.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 14:35   #27
BHPian

Renault had set 5% market share as their target (in 2012) by the end of 2017. It seems they are on right track, thanks to Kwid and hope the Kapture (HHA) gives them few more numbers.Good times for Sumit Sawhney ( CEO, Renault INDIA).

On other hand, Nissan is still continuing its bad run, none of their vehicles are currently able to bring any good figures to them. IMO even the upcoming
Terrano facelift won't help them either. Unfortunatly few years back itself it was decided not to produce the next generation Micra in India for domestic and export market.(Meanwhile new Nissan Micra enters production in Renault's Flins plant).

Just read in TOI, GM has put its 1 Billion dollar plan for India. The company, whose Indian arm has managed to cut its net loss to Rs.1003.39 crore in 2014-15 from Rs.3812.46 crose in 2013-14, will now focus on "sustainable profitability" in the country.
Old 23rd January 2017, 14:36   #28

Quote:
Presenting the 2016 Report Card - Annual Indian Sales

PS:
  • Thanks to MOD Aditya and GTO to permit me to post this thread and also for sharing the data they had to make my life easier.

• I have used a similar format of what GTO used when presenting the 2015 Annual Report Card thread (Here (The 2015 Report Card - Annual Indian Car Sales & Analysis!)). Thanks!

• Please click to open the image on a New Tab for better readability.

Hi a4anurag, The manufacturers figures and top losers for volkswagen does not match.

2015 - 42156
2016 - 47323

Not sure which is right. Please check.
Old 23rd January 2017, 15:37   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovenkat View Post

Hi a4anurag, The manufacturers figures and top losers for volkswagen does not match.
Hi Sir,

Please find the correct chart that I uploaded here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4131913
Old 23rd January 2017, 19:35   #30
BHPian

Hello Anurag, great effort in collecting the data & putting it on this forum. Kudos! It does give a insight of Indian automotive industry & how manufactures are placed in terms of sales. Brilliant summary on each of the manufacturer. I agree with most of your comments if not all
RAHS is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks