Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2018, 12:16   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Has Rolls-Royce lost its brand value & prestige?

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
I believe more than RR losing its brand value and prestige - its the perception of the people of the RR brand today. Earlier it was associated with royalty - probably now its associated with notoriety!
Probably true. But then again, Royalty is not held in much esteem these days. Old school Royalty, probably even worse.

By definition Royalty tends to be just about the most undemocratic institute one can have. Determined by birth only!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 12:16   #32
BANNED

Today RR is a 'wholly owned subsidiary of BMW'. Hence it it 'no longer British'. I do not think BMW owns the Bentley badge either. Also, in aircraft engines they are no longer Numero Uno.

Let me add that British workmanship has not been to the fore for quite some time.

Last edited by sgiitk : 14th November 2018 at 12:20.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 12:23   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Today RR is a 'wholly owned subsidiary of BMW'. Hence it it 'no longer British'.
Let me add that British workmanship has not been to the fore for quite some time.
These days anything British is frowned upon. What with the Brexit and all, how stupid can you be.

In my mind, British workmanship has always stood for both extreme ends of the spectrum. From truly unique and outstanding to the worst and pathetic one can think off.

Jeroen

Last edited by ajmat : 14th November 2018 at 13:11. Reason: minor typo
Jeroen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 12:33   #34
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
In my mind, British workmanship has always stood for both extreme ends of the spectrum. From truly unique and outstanding to the worst and pathetic one can think off.
I tend to agree. Firstly, Brexit was a protest vote, without realizing the consequences. Any grievance real or imagined as tagged on to EU.

Agree that British workmanship is extreme excellent or rubbish. Unfortunately in my five years there I had seen too much of the latter. The biggest problem is that they have a problem, blaming on the workmen (mostly foreign born) will not help!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 15th November 2018 at 08:54. Reason: Typo.
Old 14th November 2018, 15:30   #35
Senior - BHPian

I suppose brands like RR, Bentley etc take a lot of "pride" in how they source the leather for the interiors - grass fed cows bred in places without barbed wire etc and all such nonsense. Such "features" or differentiation are no longer seen in positive light in the educated world. Of course, its a different matter that many of these brands look at China, India and Middle east as bigger future markets and hence continue to flaunt such "features".
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 02:49   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
Rolls Royce are just full of themselves when they say this. The Rolls Royce Wraith wasn't a response to the non-existent competitors Bentley Continental?.
I'm sorry but a Rolls is a Rolls. It is not about cabin design or sportiness. It is about offering you the comfort of your home, on wheels. Drive a Wraith and then drive a Continental GT. There is a distinct difference between the two. Just because they are both 2 door luxury coupes with loads of wood and leather, doesn't mean that either of them was built to compete with the other.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 09:36   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I'm sorry but a Rolls is a Rolls. It is not about cabin design or sportiness. It is about offering you the comfort of your home, on wheels. Drive a Wraith and then drive a Continental GT. There is a distinct difference between the two. Just because they are both 2 door luxury coupes with loads of wood and leather, doesn't mean that either of them was built to compete with the other.
I have driven both. And I did not think there was too much difference between the two. Or at least, it would be difficult to choose between the two. Down to details and personal preference.

Much has been said about how RR compares to Bentley. Be it the cars itself or their owners. Have a look at this opinion. Not sure which galaxy this guy is from. According to him there is, amongst others, a distinct difference in intelligence between RR and Bentley owners!

https://www.quora.com/Which-brand-ca...-Royce-and-why

As always RR publicly vehemently denies they have competitors at all, let alone Bentley. All adding to the mark mystique I guess:

https://www.motor1.com/news/137944/r...o-competitors/

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 15th November 2018 at 09:37.
Old 15th November 2018, 10:52   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm sorry but a Rolls is a Rolls.
I disagree still. This statement is a result of marketing and perceived brand image working at its best.

Quote:
It is not about cabin design or sportiness. It is about offering you the comfort of your home, on wheels. Drive a Wraith and then drive a Continental GT. There is a distinct difference between the two. Just because they are both 2 door luxury coupes with loads of wood and leather, doesn't mean that either of them was built to compete with the other.
They are indeed different from each other they were built with very different driving experiences in mind from inception, however what is common is that It was made to take a slice of the same 2-door luxury coupe niche market that bentley was enjoying/created or to 'compete' with them.
The 'crossover' SUVs made by Porsche, and now Lamborghini, are very different from traditional Ladder on frame SUVs are they not? what is common is that the companies who made them purely made them to make money of the every growing SUV demand in recent years or to 'compete' with the rest.
Maky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 11:48   #39
Team-BHP Support

Moderator's Note: Everyone, please stick to the topic for this thread. Discussions on cow vs bull, racism, brexit etc. are not only way off the mark but also bring in certain bit of political dimensions and other unwanted things into the discussion. Please avoid these and help us keep the thread clean.

Thread cleaned up.
Zappo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 12:32   #40
Senior - BHPian

Rolls gained reputation when cars were just starting to be manufactured. Industrial tolerances were quite loose and parts machined to precise dimensions yet to come. In this scenario came Rolls, where all parts were machined to precise dimensions and fitted perfectly. Add to that manual fit and finish and you have a car that was way ahead in terms of build and reliability, hence the myth that they never broke down.

If you examine prewar (WW II) Rolls and talk to their owners, the cars are are still running with minimum fuss and are as comfortable as the day they were made. That is some thing.

Unfortunately all the USP of a Rolls was matched and finally overtaken with modern manufacturing methods, so in effect a Rolls was just another vehicle, albeit quite luxurious. Add modern gizmos - electronics, air suspension etc, and you have a machine that needs constant attention. What made the Rolls an extremely reliable car was the simple precision mechanical construction - now no longer true. So there is nothing to distinguish the Rolls from a Mercedes S class let alone the Maybach.
Aroy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 09:43   #41
BHPian

Rolls Royce being used as a taxi in Kerala shows how the brand is losing it's prestige
Attached Thumbnails
Has Rolls-Royce lost its brand value & prestige?-screenshot_20200313094225.jpg  

Old 13th March 2020, 09:51   #42
Senior - BHPian

And come to Chennai, rent a RR from Parveen travels & you can have a great experience of driving a RR on road - http://www.parveenrentals.com/our-fleets.php

Most Viewed