Team-BHP - Stingray with WagonR badging and black & beige interiors. EDIT: It's a new top-end VXi+ variant
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Stingray with WagonR badging and black & beige interiors. EDIT: It's a new top-end VXi+ variant (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/183390-stingray-wagonr-badging-black-beige-interiors-edit-its-new-top-end-vxi-variant.html)

The spies from Autos Arena have spotted the 2017 version of the WagonR in it's Stingray guise, but sporting the "WagonR" badging on it's rear chrome bar.

This raises the possibility that the new WagonR range could be available in the Stingray guise only, and that the existing "plain-faced" WagonR could be discontinued.

Also, the variant snapped is an all-new VXI+ variant, with beige & black dual-tone interiors.

Mechanically, the WagonR will continue with the 1.0L engine, with an optional AGS transmission.

Quote:

Basically Maruti will discontinue the current WagonR and will re-name the Stingray as WagonR according to our sources. There will also be a new trim VXI+ which will be the new top trim. We also feel Maruti Suzuki may simply discontinue the Stingray and introduce this new version as WagonR VXi+.

The 2017 WagonR will simply get the same exteriors offered on the Stingray while interiors are revised and now come with Beige & Black dual tone color. Seat upholstery is also beige in color similar to the current WagonR and the 2017 model will be available in both manual and AMT (automatic) transmission options.
Stingray with WagonR badging and black & beige interiors. EDIT: It's a new top-end VXi+ variant-2017marutisuzukiwagonrfront.jpg

Stingray with WagonR badging and black & beige interiors. EDIT: It's a new top-end VXi+ variant-2017marutisuzukiwagonrrear.jpg

Stingray with WagonR badging and black & beige interiors. EDIT: It's a new top-end VXi+ variant-2017marutisuzukiwagonrinterioramt.jpg

Stingray with WagonR badging and black & beige interiors. EDIT: It's a new top-end VXi+ variant-2017marutisuzukiwagonrinterior.jpg

As a Person having owned WagonR before, this New Face is a lot Pleasing. I like it. :)

Also, point to be noted is that the Stingray came with Steering Mounted Controls. That is missing in the above spy shots. So, this is indeed a WagonR with a Stingray Face.

Maruti don't ever bring that Ugly JDM WagonR.

Another thing I noticed is that is a Driver Airbag. The Passenger side is not clear.
The current Option Variant has dual Airbags. There is no single Airbag variant in the current model.

I was expecting dual Airbags on all variants and Both Alto 800 & K10 upgraded from single Airbag for the option variant to Dual Airbags for all variants for meeting the upcoming crash testing norms. (800 & K10 has dual Airbags in the export variants. So shouldn't be hard to do.)

The Omni is sure to have the plug pulled. Gypsy also as the army is now moving over to TATA. Eeco is anybody's guess. Maybe upgraded to dual Airbags as such a variant was available in foreign markets for the Versa. I don't think it would be discontinued without a ready replacement.

These steps would mean that the entire Maruti lineup is crash norms compliant.

Similar to what I heard, the Stingray will become the new WagonR and the existing WagonR will cease to exist. Good move IMHO to sell the car as a single model than keep WagonR and Stingray as two separate offerings. Personally I like the colours offered on the Stingray and the headlights, instead of the boxy stuff on the WagonR.

Shouldn't the Vxi+ come with steering wheel controls for audio? The Stingray came with one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavenAvi (Post 4127879)
2017 version of the WagonR in it's Stingray guise, but sporting the "WagonR" badging on it's rear chrome bar.

This is a dealer car, as clearly noted by the 'Chowgule' sticker. What if the dealer has replaced the strip for whatsoever reason? No manufacturer test car will ever have a dealer's sticker on it.

Yes, the regular WagonR is up for an update as it's getting too old. However, that doesn't mean that the Stingray will become the regular WagonR. I honestly doubt it. It can be that the next-gen WagonR & current-gen Stingray will sell side by side, but I don't think the Stingray will become the next WagonR. It's styling is a bit too much for conservative buyers which form a bulk of WagonR customers.

Quote:

Also, the variant snapped is an all-new VXI+ variant, with beige & black dual-tone interiors.
This is definitely new. IIRC, only the WagonR was available with beige & black interiors. However, it's a simple mod job to add some beige to the Stingray's black cabin.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramon (Post 4127896)
There is no single Airbag variant in the current model.

There was a VXi option variant available with a driver airbag only.

This is the 2017 WagonR Minor. Dispatches have begun.

Stingray with WagonR badging and black & beige interiors. EDIT: It's a new top-end VXi+ variant-imageuploadedbyteambhp1484475995.303513.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4127912)

There was a VXi option variant available with a driver airbag only.

I am aware of that. When the Wagon R was first launched (current Gen) it had dual Airbags on the option variant. Later on with the facelift where the additional glove box was introduced it was changed to single Airbag on the option variant.

Recently with the huge outcry over unsafe Marutis, the second Airbag was re-introduced.

What I meant was that the version being sold currently doesn't have a variant with a single Airbag.

Hope the roof rails are retained from the old Wagon R. That was missing on the Sting Ray

I have a theory. Maruti Suzuki may be playing around a little with the Wagon-R line-up in India.

The Stingray gets re-badged as the regular Wagon-R for 2017 (as in the above pictures).

The current Wagon-R grows in size, adds a third row of (two) seats for children, and gets sold as the "new" Wagon-R+ [link], and competes against the GO+ from Datsun. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSR (Post 4128162)
I have a theory. Maruti Suzuki may be playing around a little with the Wagon-R line-up in India.

The Stingray gets re-badged as the regular Wagon-R for 2017 (as in the above pictures).

The current Wagon-R grows in size, adds a third row of (two) seats for children, and gets sold as the "new" Wagon-R+ [link], and competes against the GO+ from Datsun. :)

If that is the case, it becomes the best car for deploying a Taxi in the country. I was looking forward to the new Wagon R. The fact that it offers 7 seats is a bonus :)

Looking at the just launched Ignis, Baleno, Brezza, Swift/DZire twins (to be launched), this upgrade might just end up making the tried and trusted WagonR a worthy and better contender for replacing models with sagging sales (Celerio, Celerio Diesel) or whose future might be a tad limited (Alto, Alto K10).

It could also mean that Maruti Suzuki might just milk the current body a bit more, even though it is dated versus the competition by ticking some checkboxes (projector head lamps, revamped styling, etc).

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackwasp (Post 4127973)
This is the 2017 WagonR Minor. Dispatches have begun.

Attachment 1595687

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSR (Post 4128162)

And the current WagonR with extra seats (7 seater) makes entry as WagonR Major!

We have a 5 year old WagonR and seriously speaking, I never liked its front. I was so happy that Stingray was launched that I made enquiries at the workshop and even a FNG to get the front changed to that of Stingray, only to realise that it would be expensive and futile with so many panels to be changed. Now with this coming in to picture, we might go in for a change to this one maybe some time later if nothing great is there in our consideration.

I just fail to understand why Maruti would limit the CNG variant to Lxi only!?
What if someone wants all the features of the Vxi or Zxi along with the economy of CNG?
What's the harm in offering it? Buffoons!

Whoever thought of using the word "Minor" for a car. Think of the awkward conversations you'll have with people when you ask "Papa, where's my Minor's key?" or asking the wine shop guy to bring alcohol to your Minor waiting outside. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nithesh_M (Post 4128411)
Whoever thought of using the word "Minor" for a car. Think of the awkward conversations you'll have with people when you ask "Papa, where's my Minor's key?" or asking the wine shop guy to bring alcohol to your Minor waiting outside. :D

It's more likely that the name will be something else. Traditionally, internal communication in Maruti has usually referred to facelifts as "Minor".

This can be seen in workshop manuals, parts catalogues etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nithesh_M (Post 4128411)

Its just a technical nomenclature for 'Minor facelift'. That term never comes to public media or advertisements. Its used between manufacturer and dealer, and in technical documents like service manuals etc.