Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2014, 15:50   #241
BHPian

Re: Indian Police Cars

I'm all for the latest purchase by Kerala MVD. Sure, they cost a lot, but these things, like the speed cameras, usually pay for themselves within a year or two. I only hope they have enough funds to maintain all the equipment on these vehicles. We have a very bad driving culture around here. If all this stuff would make at least 10% of the irresponsible drivers a bit more careful, that's a big enough plus. It it saves at least one life, it's money well spent.
SlowRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 20:06   #242
BHPian

It is good to have such interceptors to grow our teenage traffic to maturity however I clearly dislike the way they stop high speeding drivers. Policeman simply comes on the middle of the road and risks his life as well as any 2 wheeler or car driving behind the high speeding car. I have seen 2 nasty accidents where 3 cars rammed behind each other just because the high speeding car braked abruptly to save him from hitting the policeman and in another incident a 2 wheeler skid and lost his life on Bellary Road.

If they plan it well and are able to maintain the equipments which are installed in these cars, we are on the right track
Old 6th May 2014, 20:11   #243

Great now only if someone could "Gift" dash cams to the police force. That is what is needed the most. maybe a 360 degree cam to catch them taking a bribe. Would work wonders here in Mumbai.
Old 6th May 2014, 21:50   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
25lakhs per vehicle?! Nobody knows how much has been diverted into the pockets of all concerned people involved in the procurement.
May be the cost includes, painting & fitting of equipment?

But yeah I agree on the true utilization of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB@TVMBHP View Post
A few months back I too was fined Rs 400 for over speeding. I was doing 75 on a Trivandrum bypass where the speed limit was 70. And the funny thing was that there was no traffic at that time. Agreed kerala is a small state but this much population and this much per capita income roads here are to be widened first than compared to areas where there are no people at all.
I am confused, you were doing 75 on a 70 speed limit road that means its a good road right? Why is the fact that there was no traffic funny? You mean the speeds limits should not imply if there is no or less traffic?
Old 7th May 2014, 00:55   #245

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltronics View Post
It is good to have such interceptors to grow our teenage traffic to maturity however I clearly dislike the way they stop high speeding drivers. Policeman simply comes on the middle of the road and risks his life as well as any 2 wheeler or car driving behind the high speeding car. I have seen 2 nasty accidents where 3 cars rammed behind each other just because the high speeding car braked abruptly to save him from hitting the policeman and in another incident a 2 wheeler skid and lost his life on Bellary Road.

If they plan it well and are able to maintain the equipments which are installed in these cars, we are on the right track
Are you serious? I mean causing an accident that amounts to the death of another person. That literally amounts to manslaughter.
Old 7th May 2014, 08:30   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
May be the cost includes, painting & fitting of equipment?
Yes, that includes the extras. But 25lakhs for 7 vehicles + an additional 20 to be bought! That 6.75 crore which could have utilised in better ways. And it remains to be seen how long these would remain in action with all the extras in proper working order. The old Versa Interceptors are now rarely seen and whenever i see one its without the roof mounted gizmos and relatively empty inside.
Old 7th May 2014, 19:02   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, that includes the extras. But 25lakhs for 7 vehicles + an additional 20 to be bought! That 6.75 crore which could have utilised in better ways.
True that, the very fact that the Versa's are now unused shows that this is just a money spending move.
Old 7th May 2014, 19:22   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifightforuser31 View Post
Are you serious? I mean causing an accident that amounts to the death of another person. That literally amounts to manslaughter.
Bangaloreans will know that an Interceptor on Bellary Road while going towards and coming back from Airport was a usual sight (before the elevated road) but interceptors were not seen on the way to airport later on because a 2 wheeler driver lost his balance, fell and died of head injuries, local villagers went after policemen who vanished.
A month back, one of our cars was involved in back to back crashes when a Policeman stopped a speeding Tata Sumo outside Manyata Tech Park
Policemen new their fault and were trying to help more than what they are expected to do by calling towing trucks and drive back home
Old 7th May 2014, 20:56   #249
Senior - BHPian

The Mumbai Police got Toyota Qualis, the Chennai Police got Hyundai Accents and the Punjab force are now welcoming a fleet of 150 Scorpio Getaways to join their force. 30 cars have been delivered to the Punjab Police; the remaining 120 will be delivered over a period of time.

On the occasion, Mr. P.S. Gill, Director General of Police, Punjab said -

"We chose M&M Scorpio based Getaway because it is a multi-utility vehicle, sturdy and durable. We were impressed by the on-road performance of the vehicle."

And he has surely made the right choice. The Scorpio Getway was launched in India in 2007 as a pick up truck for hard core off-roading activities. The Getaway is powered by 2.6L, 115 BHP CRDe engine that is very torquey at the bottom end making it ideal for police usage.

These vehicles are also fully equipped with Global Positioning System (GPS) and other emergency tools. Moreover, they can also be customized to include additional body armory.

http://indianautosblog.com/2010/09/p...corpio-getaway

NOTE: I wonder why would a Punjab Police have a MH registration?
Attached Thumbnails
Indian Police Cars-mahindragetawaypunjabpolice.jpg  

Indian Police Cars-newsgetawaysforcops.jpg  

Parm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2014, 12:23   #250
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kerala: 7 more interceptors to keep vigil on roads, 20 more planned

Quote:
Lets see how long these will remain in action! What happened to the old Versa based interceptors?
After a long long time this morning at 930am i saw an old Versa interceptor in action with its roof fittings intact. They were not tracking down speedsters but were pulling up sand lorries plying inside the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
[left]On the occasion, Mr. P.S. Gill, Director General of Police, Punjab said -

"We chose M&M Scorpio based Getaway because it is a multi-utility vehicle, sturdy and durable. We were impressed by the on-road performance of the vehicle."
Good choice indeed! The pickup bed can be used for transporting accident victims in emergencies, no need to cram them into the back seat if other emergency vehicles are not available.

Last edited by Sankar : 13th May 2014 at 12:27.
Old 13th May 2014, 12:31   #251
Distinguished - BHPian

I guess AP police also used to have Getaway.

Quote:
The registration is temporary one I guess.
Old 22nd May 2014, 14:33   #252
Senior - BHPian

KA police seem to love Bolero - they added more boleros yesterday...mostly for city patrol, since now the deadline is extended to 1AM.
Indian Police Cars-221400737110mahindrabolerohoysala01.jpg

Indian Police Cars-22pat.jpg
msdivy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 19:00   #253
Distinguished - BHPian

Bangalore traffic cops gets this.

Indian Police Cars-20140718_103859.jpg
Old 13th August 2014, 02:47   #254
BHPian

I saw this bright and clean Tata Sumo in the service of Kolkata Police -- beside an older Mahindra Commander. Both are sporting a red colour scheme that is somewhat unusual given the present government's aversion to that colour .

Indian Police Cars-dsc00368.jpg
Old 13th August 2014, 09:56   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

http://indianautosblog.com/2010/09/p...corpio-getaway

Many new Mahindra vehicles delivered by road have Temp Registration from Nashik RTO MH-15 TR xxxx

Rahul

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks