Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2016, 19:57   #271
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Indian Police Cars

Kerala police at it again.

Always a few steps ahead of the infrastructure in the state, the police department has just bought the fastest car under 10 lakhs to drive on the roads that are from the last century..

135 white Figo Aspire TDCi.
DicKy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th January 2016, 20:42   #272
Senior - BHPian

Telangana has Innovas in Hyderabad commissionerate, Scorpios as Interceptors in Cyberabad commissionerate, and district PSs have Sumos as regular vehicle and Wingers as Interceptors
Old 12th January 2016, 21:52   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post
Goan "police" often come slipper-clad and have a way of intimidating people and extorting money for "offenses" like walking on the beach after 10 pm.
Have you reported this incident?

Quote:
Especially if you are young, your Hindi/ Marathi is poor and your car has KL plates. Lesson learnt: Do not carry more than a few hundred bucks in your wallet. And not least because of pickpockets.
Hindi and Marathi are not the languages of Goa, so I doubt that would be of any consequence. Knowledge of Konkani would however be advantageous when dealing with Cops. However if you can speak to them in English and explain things in a civilised way they should let you off. I don't think KL plates are targeted. They stop all vehicles with outside plates but if you have all paperwork in order and don't have alcohol in the vehicle they let you off without issue. If you have women and children in the car they most probably won't even bother stopping you. They do tend to target MH and KA plates but this is due the the people from border areas who drive in just to drink. Next time you are pulled up by cops try speaking in English.

Coming back to the main topic, Goa Police currently use Sumo's, Gypsy's and recently they got a fleet of Scorpios. Will post some photos once I get a chance to click.

Last edited by pedrolourenco : 12th January 2016 at 21:55.
Old 13th January 2016, 12:29   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post

Always a few steps ahead of the infrastructure in the state, the police department has just bought the fastest car under 10 lakhs to drive on the roads that are from the last century..

Wow this is news.

Could you share some pics of the same. !!
peterjim13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 12:56   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post

Are you sure it is Kerala Police? Muthoot Group yesterday rolled out their new Emergency Response Team (ERT) for their Security Services division with 133 Ford Figo Aspire cars. News Link here

Quote:
The company that was earlier using the security system for its own branches in South India has now announced a national roll out, launching a fleet of 133 vehicles in a bid to enter the Rs 20,000 crore private security business in the country.
Holyghost is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 15:01   #276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Have you reported this incident?
They do tend to target MH and KA plates but this is due the the people from border areas who drive in just to drink.
You just replied to a 4 year old post.

Nevertheless, my recent experience says, on the way out, they stop almost all GJ registered vehicles to check for alcohol, and also most of the cars with bachelors inside. I was travelling with my family and they did not stop me.
Old 13th January 2016, 17:25   #277
BHPian

I believe the best bet for a cop car for indian conditions for metro as well as rural use will be the Tata Xenon XT 4x4. But more important than that is the fact that we expect a underpaid, demotivated, demoralised lathi wielding hawaldar to perform and treat us like first class citizens. Unfortunately a car can only be as good as the driver behind the wheels. As long as we have a VIP and caste culture where there is a seperate driver and a ASI/SI and hawaldars in cop cars we will always get this kind of service. The day we have a couple of police officers in the car who exchange duties and drive the car themselves while at the same time dish out the role expected from them, expect to see some change happening...

Had purchased a Tata Xenon for the National Rail Museum and after having test driven it am firmly of the view that it is one of the best options in terms of space, technology and stature perfectly suited to our requirement. however smaller congested places like small towns and areas like old delhi may require different solutions like a loaded Ninja-650
Attached Thumbnails
Indian Police Cars-tata_xenon_xt_exterior_2.jpg  

Indian Police Cars-2013_08_21_tata_xenon_05.jpg  

Last edited by ATUL SINGH : 13th January 2016 at 17:37. Reason: Additional info
Old 13th January 2016, 19:30   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
You just replied to a 4 year old post.
Didn't realize that

Quote:
Nevertheless, my recent experience says, on the way out, they stop almost all GJ registered vehicles to check for alcohol,
It's not their business if you are carrying alcohol out of Goa. It's the Maharashtra Police at the border who check if you are bringing in alcohol because of taxes. The Goa Police is only supposed to check that you have not consumed the alcohol while or before driving.

Quote:
and also most of the cars with bachelors inside. I was travelling with my family and they did not stop me.
True
pedrolourenco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 21:00   #279
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
Wow this is news.

Could you share some pics of the same. !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
Are you sure it is Kerala Police? Muthoot Group yesterday rolled out their new Emergency Response Team (ERT) for their Security Services division with 133 Ford Figo Aspire cars. News Link here
Sorry. My bad.

Sorry guys for the false news.

It is the new MPG security group of Muthoot group that had bought the Aspires, not the Kerala police.

My friend had said that he saw it on Manorama TV and i couldn't verify it as it hadn't appeared online at that time.

Thanks for the correction and i should be more careful before posting something.
Old 13th January 2016, 22:51   #280
BHPian

Car or no car they will always reach after the action has ended. In delhi they call the car units mobile police units and at all times they can be seen really helping no one. Better cars yes better police ethics better still
sabnavis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 00:29   #281
Senior - BHPian

Recently drove down to Calcutta from Chennai and saw Ecosport being the vehicle of choice for policemen in Andhra. All were diesels, base model, with customised stickers and roof mounted warning lights.
Also noticed that Chennai city police has sourced a glut of new soft top Maruti Gypsy's. All are dark green in colour & used by the city police, mainly for patrolling the neighbourhoods
Old 3rd October 2016, 08:53   #282
BANNED

A standard spec. Indian built car is not a suitable vehicle for our Indian police. The roles they perform each day are more suited for the earlier Mahindra jeeps.

I read somewhere that the ford crown Victoria's used in the US were custom built for police work. Karnataka's customization was merely pasting fancy stickers and fixing gaudy disco strobes.

They (US) use handguns and perhaps a shotgun or rifle at times. These and its ammunition have secure storage placed in its boot. They have bull bars to bump a speeding motorists' rear axel. I think the engine is more powerful than the Victoria's sold to the plebeians.

Back to India:
Our policemen are most effective in a Mahindra CJ (some number). It conveys a sense of security that help is at hand.

I'm sure others have noticed the local harmless hooligans quietly disappearing when they hear a low revving jeep engine.

These Ertigas were not tested to see if they could carry out routine police work. Others have already given examples supporting their ineligibility. They would fail such a test. Badly. It would be like my nightmares about my own marks in school.

They are now 10 lakh rupees of comfortable and mobile sleeping vehicles for on duty policemen. Cops dress well in warm jackets and park the cars in non traffic and calm areas.

This is how they maintain their coolness and dignity when a crime occurs on the next street. It's hard to get ruffled after a good nights rest. The fuel used by its AC's are paid for by a starving laborer in a remote village who must be pleased that his money is well utilized.

It was Amitabh Bachchan who first introduced this type of mobile living vehicles in India. Some of you may remember that in 84-85 the Bangalore cops were given RD350's instead of the black Enfield bullets. I swear it is true.

I'm getting a bit tired seeing that common sense in public expenditure is rarer than a Kohinoor diamond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUL SINGH View Post
..cop cars we will always get this kind of service. The day we have a couple of police officers in the car who exchange duties and drive the car themselves while at the same time dish out the role expected from them, expect to see some change happening..
We could mount a machine gun in the rear portion of this. An efficient Gatling or a RPG launcher is just the right size.

This is the most popular vehicle configuration in Syria and central Africa.

Replace the diesel with electric motors and you have a silent and deadly peacemaker.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 3rd October 2016 at 12:22. Reason: Merging back to back posts
hangover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 10:13   #283
Senior - BHPian

100 previous generation Innova's were flagged off yesterday as Highway Patrol Vehicles for Karnataka.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/stat...a-1560415.html

Images- Google
Attached Thumbnails
Indian Police Cars-patrol4.jpg  

Indian Police Cars-karnatakachiefministersiddaramaiahflagsoff493003.jpg  

tharian is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th February 2017, 16:32   #284
Distinguished - BHPian

Haryana police department gets 13 new Maruti Suzuki Ertigas.
Indian Police Cars-57144902.jpg

Quote:
The 13 Maruti Suzuki Ertiga cars are customized to meet the Traffic Police requirement. They are fitted with accessories like Beacon Light, Siren, Public Address System and Body Graphics
Quote:
Two of these Ertiga cars have interceptors equipped with laser based traffic speed video systems, printers, roof-mounted day and night all-weather PTZ cameras, LED monitor Roof light bars and public address mechanisms.
Quote:
Leading car manufacturer Maruti Suzuki India, today presented 15 new vehicles; 11 Ertigas, 2 Ertigas with interceptors and 2 EECO ambulances to the Haryana Police Department. Through this the Company aims to assist Haryana Police in improving the road safety. The vehicles will be used for patrolling, surveillance and addressing medical emergencies on highways and expressways
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 14th February 2017 at 16:33.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2017, 17:50   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Vijayawada Police Department have added Ford's EcoSport compact SUV to their fleet of vehicles.

The EcoSports are likely to be used as highway patrol vehicles. An article in MotorBeam also indicates that approximately 200 units of the Toyota Innova and Ford EcoSport have been ordered by the AP Government for the police.

Attachment 1324752
Cross posting from another thread: The Vijayawada City Police had added the Ford EcoSport a couple of years back. The EcoSport will be a perfect fit for the narrow roads of this small city.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks