Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2017, 12:50   #211
BHPian

re: Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh

Hi RavenAvi - I agree with all your points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
After all, they ducked under the 4m rule in classic EcoSport style (3999mm), and made some savings in duty costs there.
Please correct if I am wrong - I guess the duty savings kick in only if both these conditions are met

1) Car length is < 4m
2) Engine capacity is less than 1200cc in Petrol and 1500cc in Diesel.
concorde24 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2017, 13:26   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by concorde24 View Post
Hi RavenAvi - I agree with all your points.

Please correct if I am wrong - I guess the duty savings kick in only if both these conditions are met

1) Car length is < 4m

You are correct, the duty is only applicable if both the conditions are met.

On a quite different note, if Ford can manage to price Ecosport competitively even though it has a 1.5l petrol engine, then Honda should have also made the effort.
akhil994 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2017, 13:28   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1) Car length is < 4m
Yes, you are correct. Excise duty benefit is applicable only if both conditions are met.

1.5/1.2 Petrol + CVT + Magic Seats --- These is the combination for WRV's success in addition to mini SUV look. I think this is going to follow BRV's footsteps.

Last edited by Latheesh : 2nd March 2017 at 13:43.
Latheesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2017, 13:38   #214
BHPian

Quote:
But now, we shall never know, shall we?
My 2 cents.

Despite beating the bush around being a 'premium company', Honda has the mass appeal in mind. While BHPians care for what's under the hood, the bigger market today picks a vehicle based on frills. Muscular looks, sunroof, push button start and touch screen ICE are aspirational features and for a customer coming from a hatch/ entry sedan, the bigger car is a status symbol.

WR-V offers exactly that. Not space, not ride quality, only frills. And, most likely, 30-50k above competition for that.

Coming to the lethargic performance, it might not bite while making the car buying decision, much like Brezza which capitalized its success on a bigger body and gimmmicky features.

Head-to-head, it might shake up Maruti's stable but an AT customer will simply look away, and that's Honda's loss. The number might be small now but the pace at which AT is becoming mainstream, it will hurt Honda.
Nonstop-driver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2017, 14:02   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
Head-to-head, it might shake up Maruti's stable but an AT customer will simply look away, and that's Honda's loss.
Do not forget the Vitara Brezza 1.0L boosterjet and a diesel AMT is speculated to release shortly.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2017, 14:05   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil994 View Post
You are correct, the duty is only applicable if both the conditions are met.

On a quite different note, if Ford can manage to price Ecosport competitively even though it has a 1.5l petrol engine, then Honda should have also made the effort.
What you say makes complete sense. Ford has of late been pretty aggressive with its prices. The EcoSport, post price cut, seems to be a pretty good VFM.

However, looking at the prices of Jazz, or all the recent Hondas for that matter, I'm not hopeful of the WR-V being priced very aggressively. VW shocked me by pricing the Ameo lesser than the Polo, but with Honda always commanding a premium over its immediate rivals, there's a slim chance of a VW-like move.

Regards
Old 2nd March 2017, 14:47   #217
BHPian

Quote:

1) Car length is < 4m
Absolutely spot on! Now we know why Honda has stuck with that mediocre petrol engine.

Thanks for sharing.

High time Honda starts R&D on Turbo petrols.
Old 2nd March 2017, 14:51   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
Absolutely spot on! Now we know why Honda has stuck with that mediocre petrol engine.

Thanks for sharing.

High time Honda starts R&D on Turbo petrols.
Honestly, even their 1.5 iDTEC Diesel is pretty 'mediocre'. I've never been a fan of Maruti's 1.3 MJD, but it definitely feels more refined and smoother than Honda's 1.5 D.

Regards
YC.BALENO.CHD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2017, 15:10   #219
Distinguished - BHPian

Bookings for WR-V open at a 'premium' price of INR 21K,

Quote:
Honda Cars India has commenced the bookings of its upcoming crossover vehicle - Honda WR-V at Rs 21,000. The company will launch the car in India on 16th March 2017. The car can be booked at any of the Honda Cars dealer in India.
LNK

Last edited by volkman10 : 2nd March 2017 at 15:12.
Old 2nd March 2017, 15:53   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Although, missing features on the WR-V petrol variants (push button start, cruise control, etc.), leaves a bad taste in the mouth, but Honda could have made up for it with an aggressive price.
I have a feeling that fully loaded petrol with 1.5L engine and CVT combination is on the cards. Otherwise there is no reason for skipping some features in petrol model as compared to diesel.

1.2L petrol with CVT would not be a great combination for this segment. Even Vitara Brezza comes with only Diesel option and not 1.2L petrol. If its automatic in this segment, then it has to be with 1.5L petrol.

All depends on the pricing of WR-V when launched. The pricing of 1.2L petrol should leave some space for 1.5L engine so as not to overshoot City territory.
rutvij is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2017, 17:06   #221
Team-BHP Support

True to the earlier rumours, Honda will officially launch the WR-V on March 16, 2017. The automaker has also commenced the pre-launch bookings of the WR-V across all its authorised dealerships. The booking amount has been set at Rs. 21,000.

The WR-V is basically a Jazz-based crossover and is also the first model to be developed by Honda R&D, India in association with Honda R&D, Japan. The sub-4m crossover gets a chrome bar on the front grille, headlamps with DRLs, faux skid plates, body cladding on the wheel arches and door panels and 16 inch diamond cut alloy wheels.

The WR-V gets an electric sunroof, automatic climate control, 17.7 cm infotainment system with satellite navigation, voice recognition, Bluetooth, USB, internal memory of 1.5 GB and Mirror link connectivity. Safety features include ABS with EBD, dual airbags, multi angle rear view camera and brake override system.

The petrol engine on on the WR-V is a 1.2L, 4-cylinder SOHC engine which makes 89 BHP and 110 Nm of torque. This engine is mated to a 5-speed manual gearbox, and unlike the Jazz, there is no CVT on offer for the WR-V. The diesel engine is a 1.5 L, 4-cylinder DOHC engine which is rated at 99 BHP and 200 Nm which comes with a 6-speed manual transmission.
Omkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2017, 17:51   #222
BHPian

In my opinion, this car has got most of the things right. In petrol avatar, in context of my usage, it appears more preferable than ecosport n to be launched petrol brezza. Considering the quality of roads, wish they added 10-12mm to the existing 188mm GC.

I guess this car would as well require servicing every six months. Wonder why would highly rated ivtec require servicing more frequently than others?
Old 2nd March 2017, 18:31   #223
Senior - BHPian

Honda was always segment leading, now they are always following the leader. Only the City is a brilliant car in it's segment. Making cheap products for the emerging markets is a strategy which is clearly not working.

Whoever decided to remove the CVT and Magic Seats is clearly not reading any feedback and doesn't know about the design of the Jazz.

The H brand will be sidelined if they launch any more mediocre products.

I'm sure the top bosses at MSIL will be laughing. I'm sure the Brezza with the boosterjet isn't too far away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

CRV- "C"omfortable "R"unabout "V"ehicle.
Doesn't 'C' stand for Compact ?

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 2nd March 2017 at 18:34.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2017, 03:53   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
I have a feeling that fully loaded petrol with 1.5L engine and CVT combination is on the cards. Otherwise there is no reason for skipping some features in petrol model as compared to diesel.
I too think that 1.5L CVT with magic seats will come in future. Let's hope and join the wait and watch game!
Old 4th March 2017, 08:41   #225

Seems like the TV commercial for WR-V is going to be out soon. I live in Cyber City, Gurgaon and while leaving early morning today I saw a something being shot! What else other than the WR-v! Even though I wasn'r able to click a good picture, I managed to snap one.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh-img_0073-wrv.jpg  

karan10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks