Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2017, 14:12   #301
BHPian

Re: Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh

The last car on this post looks black but its not on the list of available colors. Black would have been nice on this.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4162955
Old 16th March 2017, 14:15   #302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coplay View Post
The last car on this post looks black but its not on the list of available colors. Black would have been nice on this.
[/url]
That is golden brown color and they offer it on their other cars as well (Jazz, City). It looks close to black.
Old 16th March 2017, 14:43   #303
Distinguished - BHPian

Diesel VX MT crosses 13 lakhs OTR Bangalore and petrol VXMT will be over 12Lakhs OTR Bangalore! That's too much IMO. Eager to see how it'll sell. I'll be surprised if it sells more than 2k a month after the initial couple of months. I personally wouldn't be putting such a big amount on this car!
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 14:59   #304
Senior - BHPian

So that's what the 'premium' offering is priced at. Awesome job HONDA. You made sure it remains exclusively premium

HONDA clearly wants to sell the WR-V in diesel guise which is evident from the lack of features in VX MT Petrol. But the engine is not a popular choice when it comes to HONDAs. Would be interesting to see how the market responds.

Personally I don't think HONDA expects it to do crazy numbers anyways. If this does 1.5-2k per month, effectively Jazz (platform) would be fetching them a tally of around 6k per month which is respectable.

They seem to have 14000 booking for the CITY as per the announcement during this launch, so that would have given them some confidence in pricing the WR-V optimistically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
Carwale shows 13.45L for top end Ecosport
That's the Platinum edition. Titanium+ TDCi costs 12.83L as per carwale and it comes with 6 airbags, but then we already can see a few examples in previous page of people preferring sunroof over airbags.

Last edited by SoumenD : 16th March 2017 at 15:04.
SoumenD is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 15:05   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
- For the first time in Honda cars, an in-built Lambda sensor is provided to keep the emissions in check.
[/left]
[/center]
Sorry, could you elaborate on this? By in-built do you mean integrated into the exhaust manifold? Rather than a independent sensor?
qr20de is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 15:09   #306
Senior - BHPian

Automatic transmission is sorely missed, and would have been a definite advantage on the competition.

Strangely both Honda, and Toyota stay away from offering a blue color which seems to be the color of the season across all manufacturers. wonder why.
smsrini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 15:29   #307
Distinguished - BHPian

Just came back from a 20 Min test drive of the Honda W-RV and here are my initial Feedback on the car:

Overall well built and has a decent stance and good ground clearance. It looks proportionate but still looks like a small Hatch with raised stance. In terms of looks, it does NOT look like a mini-SUV which the Ecosport does.

But the real surprise is Inside! Despite its diminutive looks from the outside, it has tons of space on the Inside. In the front there is good legspace and with Seat Height adjustment and Tilt + Telescopic steering, it is easy to find a good seating position. There is also decent amount of headroom (for me, with 5'8") height. The head space is a bit compromised though due to the Sunroof (which to me appears Redundant in this segment of car!)

The best space is the rear bench. Three aside can sit easily as the bench is flat and the floorboard is also flat. The legroom for the passengers is really good (much more than Ecosport) and rear passengers will not have anything to complain about. The headroom in rear is also good and the back rest angle is comfortable. One gripe which I do have is that Honda should have offered the Magic seats in this car to increase versatility and ditched the sunroof - but that's my view and many people would want the sunroof for fad value. I for one see no use of the sunroof in cities as there is too much pollution and dust everywhere. It may be opened maybe once a year when someone drives down to a hillstation but that's about it!

The paint and finish is top notch as is expected from Honda. The metal panels do feel a little thin, but its the same with all cars now due to cost pressures.

The alloys and tyres look sweet and are well proportioned.

Now coming to the test Drive part!
The 1.5 L Diesel engine is still noisy as usual and still has a characteristic Harshness in the sound which is audible in the cabin. Inspite of Honda adding additional Damping, they still have not been able to suppress the engine sound. Above 2000 rpm, the engine becomes growly and starts complaining. Above 3000 rpm it sounds like a mad dog coming to bite you!
Honda really needs to up their NVH levels as with diesel engines, other manufacturers are far ahead. The 1.6 engine from Hyundai in the Creta is much much more silent than this and also has very low vibrations.
The torque and response on paper are good, but in real world driving I found the torque less and pickup was taking time along with lot of growling from the engine! In comparison the pickup on my 110ps 2.0 TDI Laura is effortless when the accelerator is pressed and there is no growly sound.. but that is a different segment of car! Though there is only a 10ps power difference between the two cars, the difference in real world driveability is quite a lot.

Suspension:
The suspension of the WRV is well tuned and I would say that it is the best among all the Honda cars I have driven. It irons out the bumps quite nicely and gives a composed feeling in traffic, without any undulations on rough roads. In comparison to Ecosport, I found the Ecosport ride to be very firm and Hard, while the WRV has a softer and more cushy ride.
The Ride height is also good and you get the feeling of sitting at a good height.

Boot space:
The boot space at 363L is fairly usable and accommodating and should be able to fit a weekend's luggage, but for long weekend trips you may have issues with luggage. I only wish that Honda could have offered the Magic seats for this very reason!
There is no provision on the roof rails to add a roof mounted carrier as the roof rails are only for show and don't seem to have any mounting points for adding a roof mounted carrier. The Ecosport wins here as adding a roof carrier is possible and I have seen many cars fitted with it here.

Audio and Infotainment:

The Touch screen has a good interface but it was not easily visible in daytime (maybe there is a brightness setting). I found the sound quality sub-par and not at all exciting. It will at the bare minimum need a speaker upgrade.

AC : Quite quick to cool and did a decent job of cooling the cabin uniformly.
Overall the Diesel VX seems well built and also has good utility as a city runabout, capable of taking in stride all the broken roads of today's cities, but on the flip side, it tries to impress with vain features like the Sunroof, Touchscreen and Start Stop button etc while it loses out on simple practical things like Magic seats..

At the price of 9.99 Lacs ex-showroom in Delhi, if I were to make a decision between this and Ecosport, I would still go with the Eco-sport Titanium version - I hope that Ford will also wake up a little now and cut the prices of the Titanium and Platinum versions a little.
When the New Ford Ecosport comes in, it will again one-up the WRV and if Ford retains sensible pricing, they will continue to sell a good number.

I expect the WR-V to sell maybe 1500 cars a month and not more than that as it will be niche car with only a few people going for it due to things like the sunroof.
I somehow still feel that the WRV cannot match the Brezza too as the appeal of the Brezza is high and it still commands a waiting period of 7 months and sells more than 8K cars per month!

Anyway these were all my views only and not meant to offend anyone!
Sorry for not clicking pics, but I was more interested in driving the car and experiencing it firsthand!

Last edited by Behemoth : 16th March 2017 at 15:46.
Behemoth is online now   (26) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 15:48   #308
BHPian

I am almost finalizing on the Titanium trim of EcoSport (TDCi).
Was thinking about the Honda WRV sometime back but was unsure about their pricing. Glad that going ahead with EcoSport will not make much difference over the WRV.
Old 16th March 2017, 16:00   #309
Distinguished - BHPian

Official site is now live - https://www.hondacarindia.com/honda-wrv

Brochure can be downloaded from here.

Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh-untitled.jpg
(Click on the image to OPEN in a *NEW* window)
RavenAvi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 16:01   #310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Above 2000 rpm, the engine becomes growly and starts complaining. Above 3000 rpm it sounds like a mad dog coming to bite you!
This line of yours has made my day!

This may fetch some numbers to Honda but expecting it to attract EcoSport's buyers will be over-estimation in MO.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 16th March 2017 at 16:45. Reason: fixed quotes
Old 16th March 2017, 16:04   #311
BHPian

People may say what they want, but the SUV market in India is very unpredictable. If brezza can do outstanding business, so will WRV. The brand has a better appeal. There was no logic in Creta becoming a market winner either, but it did. Actual numbers will tell the real story, but for now, it may be pricier, but not way off the mark. I have never seen Honda under cutting their rivals.
aviraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 16:12   #312
BHPian

Comparison with rivals

Price

Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh-price-comparison.jpg

* Price is not aligned w.r.t variants with Ecosport and Vitara Brezza; for instance the WR-V VX will be comparable to Titanium of Ecosport and ZDI+ of Brezza, data taken from member CarguyNish's post # 285 on Page 19

WR-V has made the Ecospsort more VFM, If Ford can somehow reduce 19K from the Titanium + to duck under 10 Lacs, it would be the most sensible buy.
i20 Active is overpriced for what it is, just cladding and raised suspension, on the other hand WR-V has sheet metal changes, different wheelbase.

Specifications

Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh-comparison.jpg

* Kerb weight for i20 Active is not avaialble

Ecosport offers the most choice to customers with variants, engine and transmission options.
WR-V has the least tank capacity - 40 ltrs but has the biggest boot - 363 ltrs.

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 16th March 2017 at 16:41.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 16:24   #313
Senior - BHPian

Call me a doomsdayer, but this is one more stillbirth added to Honda's kiity. Why can't the men at the helm of affairs understand the Indian market and mindset properly?

In the already crowded 9-12 lakh OTR segment, WR-V can only be an also ran. The car is confused in its identity, grossly overpriced and comes at an inopportune time.

Gone are the days when Honda could dictate the terms of transaction. Mobilio and to an extent BR-V will be happy to have the company of the newest kid on the block in the company stockyards. WR-V will remain there for long, really long .

On the brighter side, buyers can expect attractive discounts and offers soon. A wait of a couple of months will be well worth for those smitten with the new car.
dailydriver is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 16:31   #314
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviraj View Post
People may say what they want, but the SUV market in India is very unpredictable. If brezza can do outstanding business, so will WRV. The brand has a better appeal. There was no logic in Creta becoming a market winner either, but it did. Actual numbers will tell the real story, but for now, it may be pricier, but not way off the mark. I have never seen Honda under cutting their rivals.
Agree. It can pull some people waiting for the brezza. For just 20K more, they get:
1. Immediate delivery
2. Sunroof!!!
3. Honda badge.
But I am not sure of the long term numbers.
Old 16th March 2017, 16:37   #315
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Official site is now live - https://www.hondacarindia.com/honda-wrv
The website crashed soon after the launch. A good sign for the company as it was mostly due to the increased traffic. Shows that the launch has generated some interest among the general public.

Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh-screenshot_2017031613342058.png
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed