Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2017, 16:43   #316
BHPian

Re: Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
I thought the Jazz itself is overpriced - the VX is at 11.05 lacs on road in Bangalore. Knowing Honda, this WRV must be atleast 60 -80k costlier than the jazz, variant to variant. I see a dud-on-arrival, if not dead-on-arrival.
Had written the above post a few weeks ago. So there is no surprise to me with the pricing because I wasn't expecting any less And contrary to the expectation of some of us here, the exshowroom is not constant across the country. Bangalore exshowroom for VX diesel is 10,15,000 which puts it in the above 10 lac category attracting 1% TCS. So the onroad would easily cross 13 lacs here!

By the way, its not going to take away customers from Ecosport or Brezza. At best, people looking to buy the Jazz may upgrade to the WR-V, because the choice is simpler between just two variants and of course the sunroof.

Last edited by veyron_head : 16th March 2017 at 16:45.
Old 16th March 2017, 16:51   #317
BHPian

Contrary to the popular belief, I guess WR-V will not be a dud for Honda in sales. I myself faced a lot of flak from my family for choosing to buy the ecosport titanium+ tdci, the reason being "already everyone has it", ultimately winning over my decision
I think it will be able to create decent numbers along side the Brezza (waiting periods eating its own numbers) and garner interest among many atleast until any/all of these happen:
  • Maruti updates the S-Cross
  • Ford brings in the new 2017 Ecosport
  • Creta gets a minor variant update/facelift
  • Tata undercuts each car with the Nexon price
Old 16th March 2017, 17:27   #318
BHPian

Pricing apart, the biggest downer is the lame 1.2 petrol. Its just about enough for a lighter car like Brio but with a heavier car like WR-V its gonna be a frustrating ride in the city. Honda once known for engines, is lagging behind Suzuki and even Hyundai now.

Diesel makes some sense if you can live with the engine's NVH. Sunroof seems to be the only USP. This is definitely not going to do anywhere close to Ecosport/Brezza in sales. My guess is about 1000-1500 units in the long run.

Last edited by heavenlybull : 16th March 2017 at 17:35.
heavenlybull is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 18:17   #319
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri_tesla View Post
Prices of WR-V in comparison to Brezza (ex-delhi): Diesel only

Brezza ZDI+: 9.7 lakhs
WR-V VXMT: 9.99 lakhs
Those who think that WR-V is an overpriced car, they need to understand that, for 29k or say 35k (after taxes and insurance etc) over the Brezza ZDI+ (which sells in decent numbers), one gets:
1) More features
2) Better interior quality
3) Better build
4) More powerful engine
5) Sunroof

For an Indian buyer, points number 1 and 4 matter a lot, and point number 5 is something to die for. Now if WR-V manages to sell in decent numbers (which it will, they have priced the diesel quite smartly) then I will have another reason to be frustrated, not only with City - Honda has now given sunroof at even lower price and hence more people peeking out of sunroof, with ladies taking selfies while the hubby is happily driving and feeling proud that his wife is half out of the car with kids and taking selfies.

Like Henry Ford once said this and then did it:
"I am going to democratize the automobile"

Now Honda has decided to democratize the sunroof in India

Democratizing the automobile made Henry the biggest car maker of that era, democratizing the sunroof will give Honda what it is in the need of - a fairly successful product in the segment which they are unable to crack open.
VKumar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 18:21   #320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post

Now coming to the test Drive part!
The 1.5 L Diesel engine is still noisy as usual and still has a characteristic Harshness in the sound which is audible in the cabin. Inspite of Honda adding additional Damping, they still have not been able to suppress the engine sound. Above 2000 rpm, the engine becomes growly and starts complaining. Above 3000 rpm it sounds like a mad dog coming to bite you!
Honda really needs to up their NVH levels as with diesel engines, other manufacturers are far ahead. The 1.6 engine from Hyundai in the Creta is much much more silent than this and also has very low vibrations.
The torque and response on paper are good, but in real world driving I found the torque less and pickup was taking time along with lot of growling from the engine!
Ouch! I was hoping the sound insulation to be better than you describe.

Maybe you are spoilt by your well oiled 110 horses in your existing ride.
I found the 1.5 to be quite peppy and almost petrol like responsive, in the City, not sure if something is changed in the WR-V.
Old 16th March 2017, 18:29   #321
BHPian

Is it just me or the dead front view is much "Ecosportish"? Just saw the car in flesh and it does look smart. Jazz in itself is not a bad looker in itself but this one is able to pull the pseudo-suv moniker well.
teemus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 18:56   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
I for one see no use of the sunroof in cities as there is too much pollution and dust everywhere. It may be opened maybe once a year when someone drives down to a hillstation but that's about it !
And in Hillstation, have a Companion (Mad Dog). What you said is practically correct. With such loud Diesel plant, the fun of Sunroof is spoilt. It may help only in Petrol version, even though if it's couple of times in a year.

Most of us in cities are compelled to drive with AC on, even during moderate weather, due to dust and other forms of pollution.
Old 16th March 2017, 19:27   #323
BHPian

The sunroof may or may not be useful, but one thing we should definitely not encourage is sticking heads out of them.
Sadly, last year two children had lost their lives sticking the head out of sunroof. A grim reminder of the dangers.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ed-manjha.html
anurag.somani is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 20:03   #324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Those who think that WR-V is an overpriced car, they need to understand that, for 29k or say 35k (after taxes and insurance etc) over the Brezza ZDI+ (which sells in decent numbers), one gets:
1) More features
2) Better interior quality
3) Better build
4) More powerful engine
5) Sunroof
It would not have needed these features, had it looked more like an SUV & had a quieter engine.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 20:13   #325
Team-BHP Support

Given the gradual market shift to petrol cars, can't help feeling Honda could've blown the competition out of the water by offering the 1.5 iVTEC in MT & CVT variants for WR-V. Brezza doesn't have a petrol variant yet, Ford's 1.5 Ti-VCT isn't really a match to Honda's engine and the Ecoboost is relatively expensive being an imported motor.

They might still do it in the future, but both Suzuki and Ford now have time to take measures to protect their turf.

Oh Honda, when will you learn?
Chetan_Rao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 20:25   #326
BHPian

Well i own two cars from Honda stable. 3rd Generation City and latest Brio in top end trim
Though the Brio's 1.2 is not a match to 1.5 iVtec but it can cruise all day at 100kmph. I have seen people buy top end i20 petrol with a similar specced engine. So don't understand why we are complaining about similar capacity engine on WRV. WRV may be in same ballpark kerb weight as i20. Also Honda would never want to hurt City sales. Would anyone buy Honda City had WRV been launched with 1.5 iVtec. We all love pseudo SUV's right. I am pretty happy with the 1.2 iVtec. Its no scorcher but ultra smooth and gives joy higher up the rev band. Also i feel WRV petrol S variant is decently specced for an average buyer. We might loathe Honda for offering 1.2 on WRV, but we can't take away their space management and low cost of ownership. I am not being biased but i feel Honda needs to be given a second chance.
zoom_vroom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 20:33   #327
BHPian

I suppose they are reserving
- AT
- magic seats
- better petrol engine

for the facelift.

Depending on sales, they might introduce a variant with one or more of these options earlier.

They should probably have introduced an AT variant at launch. Looking at the growing trend of customers preferring ATs nowadays, I'm not sure why they would want to cut themselves out of this market.

Pricing is a tad high for what is on offer but it is a Honda. Even so, the variants especially the top end petrol variant could have been better priced.

Like someone said, they're probably trying to steer customers towards the diesel variants where Honda is does not have an edge over the competition. I agree that they should at least compensate by either improving their engine or improving NVH.

Last edited by sydras : 16th March 2017 at 20:35.
Old 16th March 2017, 20:42   #328
Senior - BHPian

Attended the launch of the WR-V today. First glance - "Ecosport clone".

Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh-20170316_182205.jpg
Definitely has road presence.

Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh-20170316_175459.jpg
Nice

But the interiors has few things that make it look cheap.

Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh-20170316_175426.jpg
Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh-20170316_175539.jpg

Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh-20170316_175443.jpg
Rear AC vents would have been nice

Official Accessories

Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh-20170316_180024.jpg

Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh-20170316_180008.jpg

Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh-20170316_175738.jpg

Reverse sensor display is fixed by making a hole in the roof liner.

Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh-20170316_181521.jpg
Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh-20170316_181631.jpg

Exposed wire looks cheap
samaspire is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 20:43   #329
BHPian

There is something going for Brezza & Ecosport that is not going to go well with WRV or for that matter all pseudo-suvs like i20 active, urban-cross, cross-polo etc etc. and that is the close association with a hatch selling alongside.

The Brezza and the Ecosport have the advantage that they look far different from the nearest priced hatches (i.e the Baleno and Figo respectively) and that according to me makes a great deal of difference. People want their SUVs, however pseudo they are to look nothing like a hatch on stilts. While the Brezza and Ecosport are anything but that, but the fact that they carry a lot of differentiation will translate to more sales numbers. For this reason alone, I think the WRV will receive a lukewarm response and I highly doubt it will affect sales of Ecosport and Brezza.
racer_ash is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 21:28   #330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom_vroom View Post
Well i own two cars from Honda stable. 3rd Generation City and latest Brio in top end trim
Though the Brio's 1.2 is not a match to 1.5 iVtec but it can cruise all day at 100kmph. I have seen people buy top end i20 petrol with a similar specced engine. So don't understand why we are complaining about similar capacity engine on WRV. WRV may be in same ballpark kerb weight as i20. Also Honda would never want to hurt City sales. Would anyone buy Honda City had WRV been launched with 1.5 iVtec. We all love pseudo SUV's right.
I had driven the Brio extensively before buying something else.
There is very little power in the below 2000rpm range. That is frustrating in the city.
Of course, it went like a stabbed rat, after 3000rpm.
But, not everyone wants to the rev the nuts off the engine all the time.

The power problem above will be compounded by the fact that the WR-V weighs a huge 160 KGs more than the Brio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Given the gradual market shift to petrol cars, can't help feeling Honda could've blown the competition out of the water by offering the 1.5 iVTEC in MT & CVT variants for WR-V. Brezza doesn't have a petrol variant yet, Ford's 1.5 Ti-VCT isn't really a match to Honda's engine and the Ecoboost is relatively expensive being an imported motor.

They might still do it in the future, but both Suzuki and Ford now have time to take measures to protect their turf.

Oh Honda, when will you learn?
They won't learn.
The Jazz/WR-V can very much support the 1.5 Petrol, as both the City & Jazz share the same platform.
In an attempt to prevent some meagre reduction in sales of city petrol due to cannibalization, they have decided to not bother at all.

Last edited by abhishek46 : 16th March 2017 at 21:30. Reason: added quote
abhishek46 is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks