Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2017, 12:18   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda WR-V (Jazz-based crossover). EDIT: Unveiled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
This will probably a be a car with the worst visibility (for the driver) among the cars in India. You take a car which has got relatively low seating and fairly high set dashboard, then you raise the edge of the bonnet to give it a SUVish look. Driver will not be able to see the road for at least 15-20 meters ahead.
I think they would have increased the seat height as well. The increase in cabin height, if any, would help them to improve visibility.

I like the design, and considering that it is honda the space management will be very good. But performance will be a let down if they are keeping the same engine options as Jazz, which would mostly be the case.
Old 27th January 2017, 12:20   #47
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
If the car is under 4M, which I think it will be since it is based on Jazz, then it will come with the 1.2L Petrol engine only. Doesn't make sense for Honda to price it out of contention with a bigger engine. And competitors are showing up with 1.2L only barring the Ecosport, hence Honda might follow suit.
Agreed with the logic in your post. However, the WR-V needs a differentiator and the 1.5L petrol can be a solid one. Reason - The market is moving to petrols and - more importantly - its competitors aren't strong in the petrol segment.

Vitara Brezza: Currently sold with a diesel only
EcoSport: 1.5L petrol is lacklustre, 1.0L EcoBoost is expensive & has turbo-lag
Duster: Petrol is lame

If Honda doesn't plonk the 1.5L in the WR-V, it's going to be like going to war, but leaving your fighter jets at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratiksinhal View Post
Now as a prospective Jazz buyer, I am confused whether I should wait for the Wrv or go ahead with the booking of the Jazz which will be delivered to me in mid February.
WR-V launch is <2 months away. Wait for it. See what they have to offer, then take a final call.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th January 2017, 12:40   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I think they would have increased the seat height as well. The increase in cabin height, if any, would help them to improve visibility.

I like the design, and considering that it is honda the space management will be very good. But performance will be a let down if they are keeping the same engine options as Jazz, which would mostly be the case.
Structurally, the body shell seems to be the same. I wonder if they will be able to raise the seat as you are stuck with the same headroom. They seem to have mostly reworked the nose +some cladding/roof rail to give it a SUV stance.
Old 27th January 2017, 12:41   #49
Team-BHP Support

Practicality is the forte of Jazz/Fit worldwide, and it made no sense to restrict magic seats to the top variant in an expensive car with a lackluster petrol engine in India.

If Honda wants to repeat the same story with WR-V, the market's going to repeat its response. Why bother?
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2017, 13:34   #50
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
But performance will be a let down if they are keeping the same engine options as Jazz, which would mostly be the case.
am really surprised. Having been a first gen jazz owner, can vouch for the fact that this is a gem of a engine. Even the team bhp official review attests to this fact except for lack of grunt at low rpms which is the bane of any vtec. Even all the owner reviews were gaga over the refined engine. Suddenly I find words like anaemic, dull etc etc being used. What has changed? This is still more powerful than swift, i20 and the rest of the ilk. I just re-read the small car shootout by smartcat (wherein the 1st gen jazz walked away with the honors) to refresh myself. This engine is a beaut in city. Have any of you guys driven it personally? Just asking because I have moved away to a civic and have missed Any tweaks that may have been carried out by Honda.
handsofsteel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2017, 13:48   #51
BHPian

It's shocking how Honda is completely out of touch with the Indian market.
The WR-V will come with the same engines as the Jazz and a much higher price. It's going to be yet another flop. I don't see the point of launching this.
Overpriced cars, falling quality levels, lackluster petrol engines (except the City), this isn't the Honda we have known.

They haven't launched a completely new car since the City in 2013.
They've only launched various iterations of the Brio platform. In stark contrast, Maruti and Hyundai are frequently coming up with new and exciting products.

They need to stop running behind volumes and focus on maintaining their image and quality. Axe the Brio, Mobilio, BR-V, shelf the WR-V. Focus on the City, Civic and Jazz. Get the new CR-V to compete with the Tucson.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but I see a really bleak 2017 for Honda.

Last edited by Aaron:) : 27th January 2017 at 13:53.
Aaron:) is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th January 2017, 19:31   #52
BHPian

Wish Honda would change their pricing strategy and competitively price the WRV. The future of a product depends to some extent on the initial success. This requires two things- a good product and a competitive price which would make the car VFM. Hopefully, the WRV would be a good product as it is coming from the Honda stable. Now, the success or failure will depend on the price.
Old 27th January 2017, 20:04   #53
Senior - BHPian

Instead on this, they should have bought HR-V to compete with Creta and Brezza. This one is bound to come with 1.2L as we can see from i20 active. But if you compare it with i20 active, this one looks weird as a crossover due to monospace design.

This is like doing jabardasti on Jazz to look like crossover.

Last edited by silverado : 27th January 2017 at 20:11.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2017, 22:12   #54
BHPian

I think Honda must rejig their current product portfolio. They are again going through a massive slide in sales and need a course correction quickly

1. Discontinue Brio, Mobilio and CRV - I think they must take some tough decision and must discontinue Brio which on an average sells about 500 per month, Mobilio about 150 and CRV about 50

2. Jazz Sports - Instead of launching WR-V, plonk a 1.5L engine in the Jazz and launch Jazz Sports. Add some missing features and it will do much better than WR-V. Price it about 1.1 lac over VX variant

3. BR-V price cut - BR-V is a good product but is exorbitantly priced. Maruti managed to turnaround Ciaz and S-Cross by offering a price cut. Honda needs to do the same and cut BR-V price by about 1.5 lacs and offer AVN in top variants

4. Feature load Jazz - While Jazz needs no facelift, it is definitely sold at a premium as compared to Baleno and i20 Elite with lesser features. Its time Jazz got a bit of an upgrade in feature list. At least top variants should get projector headlamps, push start stop, keyless entry and DRLs. Increase price by about 20k

5. Launch HR-V: Launch HR-V at current price of BR-V. Will help compete with Creta and upcoming Kaptur
Attached Thumbnails
Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh-hrv.png  

Last edited by damager21 : 27th January 2017 at 22:16.
damager21 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th January 2017, 22:42   #55
BHPian

I just think Honda has wrung out too much out of the Brio base and platform.All their vehicles look like derivatives of each other.No wonder they are losing sales. Like TATA they should stop quick fixes and give us what Honda was known for.Solid, quality stylish vehicles.Both Ford and Honda have horribly messed up trying to ape Maruti while Maruti is slowly upping it's game.The HRV can get Honda max 2000-3000 units of sales but wouldn't translate to incremental numbers in my opinion.There will be cannibalisation.
Old 27th January 2017, 23:21   #56
BHPian

The fact Honda seems to be blind to, is that the 1.5 petrol is a major ace up their sleeves. It's infuriating how they have been pushing mediocre products one after the another, which would still have been palatable with that engine at least.

And God know what's this fear of cannibalization of the City's sales. With such a thought process Hyundai would have never launched Creta.

They get the engine right but the platform wrong(BRV). Now they have the platform right but the engine wrong!

Stop solving the wrong problems Honda. Yours is probably the only brand that has moved down on the aspirational ladder in the past decade, in a growing economy no less. I'm sure the WRV will be a decent product. But I just cannot fathom a good enough reason to pick it up over the competition.
Old 28th January 2017, 02:30   #57
BHPian

I think the pricing here is going to be horrendous!
Either that or the engine is not going to be up to spec.
The problem why at least one of those two things are going to happen is the fact that.
1) The BR-V exists which falls in the price bracket of the current leaders / Favourite choices ( Duster,Creta,Ecosport)
2) They can't , rather shouldn't release two models that pretty much complete with each other in terms of price
3) I personally think that the BR-V is too new to consider a price drop.

These points considered , I'm sensing this car is not going to an ideal Team-BHP go to car at launch.
Old 28th January 2017, 10:07   #58
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Some more information on the WR-V (& other Hondas)

Thank you to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts!

Quote:
- WR-V will only be available in 2 variants initially.

- It will take the same engines as the current Jazz. No 1.5L.

- Launch is around mid-March .

- Interiors will be slightly tweaked - common with the updated City to be launched in mid-Feb.

- 2 new colours - one is in the pictures, & the other is modern steel (replacing urban titanium).

- HR-V is not coming to India. Period.

- New CR-V & Civic not happening anytime soon.
GTO is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 28th January 2017, 10:31   #59
BHPian

Good one Honda.
Another "Dead on Arrival".

vtec memes are aplenty on the internet though
Patriot_Vishwas is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th January 2017, 10:33   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
- HR-V is not coming to India. Period.
- New CR-V & Civic not happening anytime soon.
HR-V: Is it cost factor? Most members have been saying that Creta is expensive. So even if HR-V was priced on the higher side, people would have considered it.

Civic: Ok. For now, we Indians will need to live with City ZX. Considering that Civic is not coming anytime soon, we can expect City ZX too be feature loaded to compete with Elantra and Altis.

Last edited by Simhi : 28th January 2017 at 10:40. Reason: edited for more clarity
Closed Thread

Most Viewed