Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2017, 13:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh

Mod Note: Our Honda WR-V Review has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Thank you to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts!

Honda has started production of the WR-V in India, ahead of its scheduled launch in March this year. We have gotten our hands on a set of images taken at Honda's manufacturing facility in Tapukara, Rajasthan. These images offer a first look at the India-spec WR-V.

The WR-V is basically a crossover sibling of the Honda Jazz. It made its global debut at the 2016 Sao Paulo Motor Show in November last year. Though the WR-V is based on the Jazz and uses the same platform, Honda designers have made some significant design changes to differentiate the two cars. The WR-V gets a comprehensively redesigned front fascia, which is characterised by a wide grille with a prominent chrome bar in the middle. The grille is flanked on both sides by new headlamps. In order to intensify the vehicle's crossover image, the WR-V comes with black plastic cladding, beefed up wheel arches and silver skid plates on the front and rear bumpers. It also rides higher than the Jazz. The rear gets a long tailgate, new tail lights and a chrome bar above the number plate housing.

Though the interiors of the India-spec car haven’t been snapped, the WR-V is expected to borrow its dashboard and seats from the Jazz. This was deliberately done to minimise development and production costs.

Interestingly, our sources suggest that the Mobilio facelift which was recently unveiled in Indonesia won't come to India.

Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh-wrv21.jpg

Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh-wrv11.jpg

Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh-wrv31.jpg

Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh-wrv41.jpg
Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by Aditya : 1st June 2017 at 15:38.
dZired is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 26th January 2017, 13:44   #2
BHPian

re: Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh

Nice Scoop! If Honda prices this one correctly (for God's sake please Honda, please), this could actually prove to be a winner. It will hurt Creta, S-scross and to some extent even Ecosport's sale. I hope they don't position this above BR-V.

Fingers crossed!

Edit- How can I forget Duster & Terrano!

Last edited by namanchaudhary : 26th January 2017 at 13:45.
namanchaudhary is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 26th January 2017, 13:50   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Some more scoop pics from the factory floors, sent by my birdies.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 26th January 2017 at 14:03.
RavenAvi is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 26th January 2017, 13:51   #4
BHPian

Several of the staff around the vehicle are taking pictures with their mobiles. I am surprised that they were allowed to. Isn't it a norm to prevent use of mobiles?!
2cents is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th January 2017, 13:58   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Honda has a big opportunity here, and I hope the WR-V is priced, positioned & equipped to kill.

The WR-V should definitely get Honda's sweet 1.5L engine. The Jazz' 1.2L is too weak. The EcoSport got a 1.5L / 1.0 turbo-petrol, and the Vitara Brezza petrol will also be a 1.0 turbo.
GTO is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 26th January 2017, 14:06   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Honda has a big opportunity here, and I hope the WR-V is priced, positioned & equipped to kill.

The WR-V should definitely get Honda's sweet 1.5L engine. The Jazz' 1.2L is too weak. The EcoSport got a 1.5L / 1.0 turbo-petrol, and the Vitara Brezza petrol will also be a 1.0 turbo.
Exactly my thoughts. Equipping this with 1.2 would look like Honda is trying to compete with I-20 active and polo cross. Apart from City and Amaze, nothing in the recent past has gone Honda's way. This might just be chance for Honda to re-write the new rules and come out as a winner.

From a buyers prospective, in today's scenario, I'd anyday pick a Honda over a Hyundai if the offerings in terms of engine offerings, equipment levels are same. Gone are the days where where people would blindly purchase Honda and ignore the offerings. I think the stories of BRV, Mobilio and Jazz would be enough for a time for self-introspection.

Edit- Just a thought! We've seen a lot of folks cancelling their TML Hexa bookings and moving towards City. Is there any chance that Honda must have this in mind while leaking WR-V for interested buyers to have another option who are inclined towards a 'SUV'?

Last edited by namanchaudhary : 26th January 2017 at 14:09.
namanchaudhary is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th January 2017, 14:12   #7
Team-BHP Support

1.5L Petrol Manual on this surely reminds me of the 1.6 Duratec Fusion! What a combo it would be on this one. I just hope the thought prevails. And the price of course! Lets see how Honda plays this Ace of Spades if it thinks its has one.
ampere is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th January 2017, 14:26   #8
BHPian

Nice Scoop. Any timelines for the launch?

If Honda cannot price it below Ecosport and give 1.5L petrol engine they should just scrap the project as it will hurt their image even more. They are launching flop after flop since last 3 years or so and other than City all their products are a big waste of time though I personally like Jazz and BR-V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Some more scoop pics from the factory floors, sent by my birdies.
Sorry for being off topic but did you notice the facelift City in the background is wearing the same alloy which is available on the mid spec version in Thailand.

Last edited by GTO : 27th January 2017 at 12:07. Reason: Language
//M6 is offline   (8) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 26th January 2017, 14:56   #9
Team-BHP Support

I am going to go against the tide here and say, I'm very skeptical how this is going to pan out.

Not entirely because of the product but because how Honda has handled the Indian market in the last year or so.

They've milked the Brio platform relentlessly with the Brio, Amaze and the Mobilio. And the BR-V too. And now they have WR-V, which shares the platform with Jazz, and the City too?

Honda has been selling the same old stuff in different packaging. Very soon, when the comparisons begin, the market is going to see that.

Especially given how the EcoSport and Brezza have a hold on the segment on one end and the Creta/Duster on the other, why'd one consider Honda?! Heck, even the SCross and Baleno could overlap.

The City works (worked?) because it was undisputedly the best at one time. Honda has long outrun the goodwill built there.

The Indian market has thankfully become pretty unforgiving (except for Maruti of course). That being said, I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 26th January 2017 at 14:57.
libranof1987 is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 26th January 2017, 15:00   #10
BHPian

What is the possibility that this WR-V we see is manufactured to be exported to Brazil?

I remember there was a similar scoop before Jazz was launched in India and later it was announced that those are units to be exported to Brazil. It was a good 6 or 9 months after those scoop images that Jazz was finally launched in India.

Also in the following picture, front clearly resembles Ford Ecosport
Attached Thumbnails
Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh-wrv11.jpg  

damager21 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th January 2017, 15:02   #11
Team-BHP Support

Honda must offer this with the 1.5L i-VTEC engine. The 1.2L engine is just below average if they are trying to sell this car as a crossover or use SUV name next to it.

It makes no sense over the Jazz and no differentiation whatsoever to command a premium.

Secondly the price has to be bang on. They will shoot themselves in the head if they fumble that up. The BR-V and Mobilio as well as mediocre jazz numbers should be a strong reminder for them.

Already I can see no projector lights, no request sensor on door and no auto dimming IRVM. This means it's short on features yet again.
Vid6639 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 26th January 2017, 15:21   #12
Team-BHP Support

I don't need a diesel, but the choice of petrols sub-10L just puts me off completely. If Honda puts out a 1.5L petrol manual WR-V with a sub-10L sticker price, I'd take one. Heck, I'd be happy to take a 1.5 petrol Liva if Toyota reintroduce it.

I drive a car for the drive, not the bling and plush, so I don't mind buying even the base variant as long as safety kit is standard.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th January 2017, 15:27   #13
BHPian

I am referring to the pics where the rear seats are visible. Looking by the profile of the headrests I don't think the variants snapped here are the top-end ones. These headrests look like they are non-adjustable (V variant?). I think Magic Seats in all variants can probably be ruled out.

Honda should really do something about the rear seats in the non VX variants of Jazz/WRV. IMHO a non-functional head rest is completely unsafe. Considering that the WRV will be priced higher than the Jazz, variant-to-variant, Honda should definitely sort this issue out. Atleast provide something which is functional even if you don't want to give Magic Seats.
Flanker99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2017, 15:33   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M6 View Post

Sorry for being off topic but did you notice the facelift City in the background is wearing the same alloy which are available on the mid spec verion in Thailand.
Yes it is. They started production of new facelifted City 2 weeks back. Creating stock before the launch.
kpzen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2017, 17:26   #15
Team-BHP Support

What are the advantages / differences of the WR-V compared to the Jazz?

Can see beautiful alloy wheels, side cladding and ground clearance - but that formula has never worked in the Indian market before.

That said, Jazz is the best vehicle in the current Honda lineup, IMO. And if Honda can improve and build on that, WRV would be a very good proposition to watch out for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by namanchaudhary View Post
It will hurt Creta, S-scross and to some extent even Ecosport's sale.
IMHO, the biggest challenge for Honda would be to make people relate the WRV to these vehicles. I feel the market will only perceive it as a natural competition for i20 Active, Avventura, Etios Cross and Cross Polo.

Creta / S-Cross/ Ecosport/ Duster all were unique designs in the market, which didn't have its identity questioned by the presence of their hatchback versions in the same showroom. Honda would be aware of this though, since they had already played this game when the BRV was launched over the Mobilio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Honda must offer this with the 1.5L i-VTEC engine. The 1.2L engine is just below average if they are trying to sell this car as a crossover or use SUV name next to it.

It makes no sense over the Jazz and no differentiation whatsoever to command a premium.
If the higher GC hasn't compromised the handling capabilities of the Jazz, we might indeed have a 'warm hatch' in the making.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 26th January 2017 at 17:32.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (9) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks