Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2017, 10:56   #346
BHPian

Re: Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
It's a LAF sensor placed just before the catalytic convertor, which helps in effectively reducing emissions to a minimum. (link)

A first for any Honda car in India.
Thanks so much for the article quote!

I don't mean to be pedantic but I did a bit more digging and found this:

Name:  Amaze Lambda 2015.PNG
Views: 4529
Size:  675.0 KB

http://www.hindustantimes.com/photos...Yb4ZszVGP.html

That's a screenshot from 2015's Amaze Diesel launch. Clearly the lambda is circled. But from a team-bhp screenshot, the Amaze diesel doesn't have it.

Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh-amaze-no-lambda.png

Then yesterday Honda says that for the first time in India, a lambda sensor is included before the cat-con.

Name:  WRV lambda.PNG
Views: 4561
Size:  426.2 KB

Bad reporting from HT? Wrong photo by Honda?
qr20de is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2017, 10:58   #347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinLow View Post
whats with the shitty abbreviations
CRV, BRV, HRV, WRV....crap are we ???
CRV = Civic Recreation Vehicle (because it was based on the Civic)
HRV = Hi-rider Revolutionary Vehicle, OR Hip and Smart Runabout Vehicle.
BRV = Bold Runabout Vehicle
WRV = Winsome Runabout Vehicle
samaspire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2017, 11:01   #348

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagateja View Post
Unbelievable slide from the presentation by Honda (@cardekho tweet)
Target consumer - show off, status, premium (lower right corner)
What were the marketing team thinking? The word 'show off' sounds so very unprofessional.
It can happen when you perceive yourself smarter than the new-generation.

I am unable to understand how marketing manager or product manager can approve such an unprofessional term that also on a media launch presentation.
bluebird is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2017, 12:02   #349
BHPian

Undoubtedly, Honda is in a fix. In every market except India - it is the likes of Hyundai chasing them. Suzuki is not even on the radar. They are not used to being in that position and are unable to get out of the rut. If they price their products less than Hyundai / Suzuki , the guys in Japan will not green light it as this would dilute their brand. If they price it higher than Hyundai and Suzuki - the Indian consumer is least interested as both Hyundai and Suzuki offer not only more bang for your buck but also excellent after sales service. I did consider the BR-V and while it was roomy - it seemed to have cut corners in the interiors department. I don't know about now but a couple months ago they were trying to get rid of the BR-Vs with a 1 lakh exchange bonus.

Honda makes excellent cars - even the Indian consumer knows that. But he also knows that the automotive excellence is no longer the sole domain of the global big players. All Honda products in India are competent - none of them are game-changers. Sadly, WR-V is also one of them.
invidious is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th March 2017, 12:22   #350
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
CRV = Civic Recreation Vehicle (because it was based on the Civic)
HRV = Hi-rider Revolutionary Vehicle, OR Hip and Smart Runabout Vehicle.
BRV = Bold Runabout Vehicle
WRV = Winsome Runabout Vehicle
Small correction for the CRV -

CRV- "C"omfortable "R"unabout "V"ehicle.
BRV- "B"old "R"unabout "V"ehicle.

HRV- "H"i-rider "R"evolutionary "V"ehicle.
WRV- "W"insome "R"unabout "V"ehicle.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2017, 12:32   #351
BHPian

Honda had long enjoyed customer support with their quality and "precision" manufacturing. With drop in quality (mixed with catching up of hyundais on that front, many a times even beating them in quality aspects in mass market segment), this image has slowly eroded.

And Honda is not evolving. Rather than value engineering, they are down to "obvious" cost cutting in their latest offerings.

Below is the "precison - honda" commercial that I remember vividly from college days

Nav-i-gator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2017, 15:51   #352

I took the test drive of the WRV for a friend yesterday, here is my take to the preposition:

The SUNROOF is making a lot of people tilt towards this car. I saw 3 more prospective customers drooling over the same. Though the headroom for me with a height of 5'9" in the drivers seat is quite limited.

The packaging is nice and surely going to dent the JAZZ for sometime, but without the 1.5 iVtec, surely the hype is not supposed to hold up for long.

The driving dynamics is very Honda like. The car handles and fares well over bumps. The steering feedback is also bang-on target.

All tell-tale signs of equipment copy from other Honda cars. You get inside any cabin in the showroom and all of them (City, Jazz, BRV) etc all of them are the same. Though the seat fabric and the interior space layout is quite different.

Petrol is devoid of keyless entry & push button start (but get the mention of the omission on the dashboard)

The new touch screen tough slow (compared to my Ertiga ZDI+) screen, does have good features. You can steam media through HDMI, use internet, is android based etc.

The rear seat space even with the drivers seat drawn to the back is quite generous.

The nifty addition is in the details of the handrest, it gets additional power sockets inside, plus a recess to have the wires drawn outside. (even 2017 City does not get this)

The display cars had Michelin Primacy in both Diesel and Petrol versions, but the test drive cars had GoodYear's. The sales rep could not answer queries about why the difference in the first lot of supplies or, why only display vehicles have these shoes.

Overall the WRV seems a good choice in its segment.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh-004.jpg  

Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh-005.jpg  

Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh-003.jpg  

Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh-008.jpg  

Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh-006.jpg  

Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh-001.jpg  

LkoNawab is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th March 2017, 16:15   #353
Distinguished - BHPian

Ex-showroom, Navi Mumbai:

RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2017, 16:54   #354
BHPian

One gripe I have about this car is the absence of rear head rest. After owning alto for about 8 years, one of my primary requirements for a new car is a supportive rear bench with adjustable head rest. Absence of head rest compromises the safety of rear passengers and also make it uncomfortable for them especially during quick accelerations.
Old 17th March 2017, 17:17   #355
Team-BHP Support

On road prices for Bangalore -

WR-V iDtec VX - 12,45,941/-
WR-V iVtec VX - 10,91,854/-

WR-V iDTec S - 10,68,034/-
WR-V iVtec S - 9,44,169/-

In comparison, Vitara top end model is about 40k cheaper.

Vitara Brezza zdi+ - 12,06,520/-

Comparison with Jazz -

Jazz iDTec VX - 11,05,221/-
Jazz iVtec VX - 9,40,167/-

So, a price difference of about 1.4 - 1.5L on road as compared to Jazz.

*All prices on road Bangalore.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 17th March 2017 at 17:25.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th March 2017, 17:27   #356
Senior - BHPian

I see one picture with Michelin tyres. If this is standard, then kudos to Honda
Old 17th March 2017, 18:41   #357

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
I see one picture with Michelin tyres. If this is standard, then kudos to Honda
The display car had Michelin's, but all other test drive vehicles had Good Year, even the spare was a Good Year..Sure Michelin's is not standard. A top variant Jazz had Bridgestone.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh-010.jpg  

Last edited by LkoNawab : 17th March 2017 at 18:50. Reason: Uploading attachment
Old 17th March 2017, 19:09   #358
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda WR-V Diesel garners some interest. Is it spillover of the diesel customer base from Vitara Brezza?

Quote:
The car has received around 1,500 bookings, 500 of them yesterday when it was launched. Even as the sales team goes through the data, it has found that out of 1,100 bookings 624, or 57 percent, are in favour of the diesel W-RV.
LINK

Last edited by volkman10 : 17th March 2017 at 19:12.
Old 17th March 2017, 20:08   #359
BHPian

Well I finally managed to see the WRV after a hectic day at work.

Dropped into Impression Honda, Tadong, the only Honda Dealer in Sikkim, and the day a gloomy foggy rainy day meant TDs only from tomorrow. They have promised to get a TD car to my hospital tomorrow.

First Impression: Looks a lot fresher than expected, not much like Jazz.

They had only the top variant Diesel with them.

Michelin 165/60/R16 it was wearing and that's good news. Wonder if both variants get that same, the spare was a steel though.

The interiors looked neat from outside with the piano black finish media central console looking eyecatching but a fingerprint magnet as well.

The moment i sat in the Drivers seat, reality struck, I have barely any space above my head in the lowest seat setting (i am not so tall also, 180 to be precise) The sunroof too seemed more of a gimmick, its so small and has a lousy sun shade in flimsy quality. Also i couldn't see the edges of the bonnet..
I liked the steering wheel though , apt sized and feel.

The rear bench too had good ergonomics for my height and liking though a central armrest pull down would be welcome and more comfortable, the front armrest in the center with a big lid and storage space along with a 12 V port is utilitarian.

Looking forward for a TD tomorrow and see the diesels luggability in the hills here.

But this surely is going to draw customers from the Ecosport, i20 active and the likes.

(Sorry for the poor quality mobile pictures)
Attached Thumbnails
Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh-img_20170317_173430.jpg  

Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh-img_20170317_173445.jpg  

Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh-img_20170317_173510.jpg  

Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh-img_20170317_173521.jpg  

Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh-img_20170317_173549.jpg  

Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh-img_20170317_173606.jpg  

Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh-img_20170317_173620.jpg  

Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh-img_20170317_173742.jpg  

Dr_MNC_SK is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th March 2017, 00:22   #360
BHPian

I popped in to the showroom this morning to take a look at the WR-V.
I was pleasently surprised with the cabin space on offer. The rear seats have large amounts of knee room and that too for a sub 4 metre car. Kudos to Honda for packaging it so well. The car looks good as well in my opinion.
Took a look at the S variant as well and although there are a lot of features missing it had all the important features for me like ABS, Airbags etc.
The only thing that just doesnt make sense to me is that the petrol smt is only 75000 lesser than the Honda city smt. The honda has the 1.5 litre engine and is definitely one segment higher. The WR-V is supposed to get the benefits of being a sub 4 metre car but Honda doesnt seem to have passed on much of that to the customer in this case.
The diesel variant is very closely priced to the s cross 1.3 which again is a bigger car and doesnt get the sub 4 metre benefits that the WR-V gets.
I was promised a TD on sunday so lets see how it actually feels on the road.
prithvi53 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed