Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2017, 14:50   #436
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
Because it would cannibalize on the newly launched Honda City 2017 which is, apparently, more important a brand than WRV in India.......
I'm compelled to quote GTO here: "Why care about product cannibalization as long as it's in-house"?

Given the variety of choices available to a consumer across brands, it's more difficult than ever to lure them back once they've stepped out to consider other options, so it's imperative to have as many options as possible NOW, esp. when development cost isn't an issue.

Which of the two has a better chance of bagging a sale?

1. "Sir, why don't you consider the WR-V too? Same engines, more GC, similar features as the City, magic seats from the Jazz for added practicality. Competitive pricing too".

2. Same statement as above, gets the customer interested, only to add the sale-killer: "come back in FOUR months Sir, we MAY have the 1.5 iVTEC and CVT by then".

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 29th March 2017 at 14:51.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 16:53   #437
BHPian

As Honda has already improved the NVH of the diesel, it is well placed with the Diesel models. Honda has 3 options in my opinion to boost the petrol model sales:
  1. Put in a 1.5L Petrol and a mild hybrid system like SHVS to reduce taxes
  2. Add at least a small turbo-charger like the Bolt Revotron, to keep costs low but drivability high
  3. Go big-bang and put in a performance motor a-la-GT-TSI
Same outcome can be applied for Jazz as well. I'd personally prefer 1 or 3.
jetti is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 17:34   #438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I'm compelled to quote GTO here: "Why care about product cannibalization as long as it's in-house"?
I completely agree with you and GTO but consider this. Honda is under the impression that City and WRV are best-sellers individually in different price brackets. So if a customer finds WRV underpowered, they can be pushed towards City, which is a brand in itself despite being a different class of vehicle. Or if they find the City overpriced, push them to the fully loaded WRV, with a smaller engine (but a sunroof!). So they're targeting customers from Ecosport's range till Verna's. If both vehicles are available in the same engine configuration, the lower trims of WRV become irrelevant.

This is my 2 cents at why Honda didn't launch a 1.5ltr WRV while they can mass sell the City. They will launch it when customers of WRV stop settling with the *new* City. Although as a strategy, I don't agree with it entirely either
Nonstop-driver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 19:12   #439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaskar.guru View Post
Exactly my point!

Who uses a sunroof in India? It's a novelty at best. With scorching heat of 40 degrees in Hyderabad, I won't for sure.
Actually, Sunroof helps in above situation. Just switch on the AC and open the Sunroof for a couple of minutes. The Cabin gets cooled faster, as Hot Air is lighter, it'll escape from the Sunroof. Sunroof is best suited for India as it's hot and humid. But the main culprit is dust in India, which makes the Sunroof useless, even though it has lot of advantages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I don't buy the 'features will push prices up' argument. It's Honda's greed more than anything else.
Agree with you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaskar.guru View Post

At least a 60:40 split would've been better if not magic seats.
The least we can expect from a Winsome Recreational Vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
A Honda birdie tweets that the WR-V 1.5L i-VTEC will be available with the CVT transmission only, in a single VX variant. No MT on the cards, as of now.

Launch will.probably be in the next 3-4 months.
Good News! Hope, they include Magic Seats too.

Last edited by jaaz : 29th March 2017 at 19:14.
jaaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 19:36   #440
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
A Honda birdie tweets that the WR-V 1.5L i-VTEC will be available with the CVT transmission only, in a single VX variant. No MT on the cards, as of now.

Launch will.probably be in the next 3-4 months.
Damn. How I wish either they would have launched this from the start or I could have waited for my next car for a few more months. It will be a worthy option to look at w.r.t. Ecosport AT.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 21:55   #441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
April 2017 issue of Autocar India. Page 35.

Honda WR-V is likely to get 1.5 litre petrol engine. And CVT transmission. The article says Honda is "working" on this - so I guess this might take some time.

120 BHP on a 1.1 tonne car equals power to weight ratio of 110. It should fly! (not off the showroom floor I mean, but definitely off the traffic signal)

Well, The kerb weight of the City ZX CVT is 1107Kgs.
Thanks to the CVT, it does not exactly fly.

The WR-V weighs in at 1104Kgs already for the manual. Add 30-40Kgs to it for the CVT.
Chances of it to be a scorcher look slim.
abhishek46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 22:04   #442
BHPian

What a news to all the honda fans. i would personally like to switch over from my Jazzy to WR-V if Honda brings in with the 1.5 L ivtec in CVT and the same set of features they offer in diesel variants. In addition would definitely love to have the magic seats. How could a cross over/SUV is even without any split seats.
Let's hope for the best. Good times ahead.

Aman
Old 29th March 2017, 22:26   #443
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
It will be a worthy option to look at w.r.t. Ecosport AT.
Not just worthy, with the way Honda has tuned the CVT; it is obviously going to be the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Well, The kerb weight of the City ZX CVT is 1107Kgs.
Thanks to the CVT, it does not exactly fly.
It does fly dear sir, the difference is just that it starts flying when its competitors start thinking of landing. You need to sit, press down and let it hold at 6000 rpm, then you will love the arrogance with which it starts claiming its right to overtake. I was literally impressed after I drove this CVT in a BR-V (Even heavier car than City). It's only initially when the revs are low, once the engine is on the boil - I tell you, this CVT is one of the best available out there.

Quote:
The WR-V weighs in at 1104Kgs already for the manual. Add 30-40Kgs to it for the CVT.
Definitely it is not going to be a scorcher, but it is still going to be in the category of 'quick' cars by Indian standard. You will definitely be left asking for more till say 30 kph, but you will be surprised with the progress at the speeds when you add 120 to the figure mentioned in previous line. Here is one example of the progress with around 200 kilos weight in the BR-V CVT with AC ON and not completely flat surface too. Just look how beautifully that needle travels between 60-120 kph mark without a single jerk and with a beautiful exhaust note too:

Last edited by VKumar : 29th March 2017 at 22:28.
VKumar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 22:53   #444
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Well, The kerb weight of the City ZX CVT is 1107Kgs. Thanks to the CVT, it does not exactly fly. The WR-V weighs in at 1104Kgs already for the manual. Add 30-40Kgs to it for the CVT.
Honda CVT approximately adds 1.5 seconds (when compared to manual) to 0 to 100 kmph timing in all its automatics (Jazz, Amaze, City, BRV)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
You need to sit, press down and let it hold at 6000 rpm. I was literally impressed after I drove this CVT in a BR-V. You will definitely be left asking for more till say 30 kph, but you will be surprised with the progress at the speeds when you add 120 to the figure mentioned in previous line.
Good observations (and I agree). Beyond 40 kmph, 1.5 litre engine + CVT combo is as quick as the manual. One can make extremely quick progress on highways, with very little effort.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2017, 14:46   #445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetti View Post
As Honda has already improved the NVH of the diesel,..
Tough call that! Don't seem to agree with the statement. Might feel refined beside a VW, but definitely not as refined as a Hyundai Diesel.
Tried both new City and WRV in Diesel flavors, NVH definitely puts me off!
nagateja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2017, 08:55   #446
BHPian

I do not see a T-BHP review of WRV (sorry if I missed it). I assume it is on its way, or? Or is it given a miss, as all others have already done a review? Normally, all mainstream category vehicles are reviewed, ain't it?
Old 31st March 2017, 11:09   #447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkishore_007 View Post
I do not see a T-BHP review of WRV (sorry if I missed it). I assume it is on its way, or? Or is it given a miss, as all others have already done a review? Normally, all mainstream category vehicles are reviewed, ain't it?
Usually , if it is only a facelift and not much of a engine change or interiors change then it is not reviewed , and since the WRV is just the jazz in another avatar , i donot think it might be reviewed
Old 31st March 2017, 12:08   #448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kippu View Post
Usually , if it is only a facelift and not much of a engine change or interiors change then it is not reviewed , and since the WRV is just the jazz in another avatar , i donot think it might be reviewed
Thanks, but I disagree that is just a facelift! Yes, it is based on the same platform, maybe share some or most of the product data designs.
If i20 Active and Etios Cross made it, so should WRV!
Old 31st March 2017, 12:12   #449
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kippu View Post
The WR-V is a whole different car! We can reasonably sure there will be a review out.
Old 31st March 2017, 14:55   #450
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh

I test drove a WRV top spec petrol just now with my dad.
I liked the handling, brakes, suspension, comfort, legroom and everything.
Great AC too and its got a nice touchscreen as well.
It feels a lot like an EcoSport. Great commanding views all around and excellent visibility all around.
Lovely gearbox. Light to drive and with its 190 mm ground clearance it is able to handle Bangalore speed breakers and potholes easily.
Very comfortable for a small family as a city car with a little bit of highway driving.
Expensive pricing - nearly 11 Lacs on road Bangalore.
Sadly it doesnt have an AT. No passenger side height adjustment.
Only 2 Airbags.
Underpowered 1.2 engine so definitely not interesting enough.
I felt the electronic power steering to be very light and almost disconnected with the steering gear. Too light by half!
These are just my 2 paise.
It is NOT my kind of car and I wouldnt buy it at all as of now!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 31st March 2017 at 14:57.
shankar.balan is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks