Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2017, 11:13   #91
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh

If Ford can price Ecosport petrol with 1.5L sensibly, wonder how hard it is for HONDA to do the same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surya-TJet View Post
I'm not sure if your current place of residence is Pune, but here in Tamilnadu, I am seeing a lot of i20 Active vehicles on road. And, so many people can’t be wrong with their choices.
Lot to do with the cyclone/flood in recent past in TN. More than the SUV tag , people are preferring these because of higher ground clearance as lot of hatches/sedans took the hit of extreme weather recently. Even in Bangalore the roads in most part(specially outskirts) are so bad(read craters all around) that such high ground clearance cars still sell a lot.

Quote:
I own an Active SX Petrol and I will confidently say that it is a very well accomplished car with excellent all round performance. ...
OT: Good to hear that. Could you PM me the drive experience vis-a-vis Elite?

Last edited by SoumenD : 31st January 2017 at 11:15.
Old 31st January 2017, 11:31   #92
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
The i20 Active comes with worst petrol engine

The 1.2L mill of Honda is any day better than that lousy 1.2L in Hyundai.
Thought we were back in the early 2000s!

Hyundai 1.2 series in use currently is a brilliant engine praised almost everywhere as almost as up there with the iVTec. Similarly, Suzuki has pulled the gap and is almost there with the K series as well. There is no "real" winner as was the case earlier.

On the roads, the 1.2 Kappa has got better driveability as compared to the iVTec with poor low end torque.

On the track, earlier it was advantage Honda with a hooligan rush once the iVTec kicks in, but that advantage also seems lost with the tuning in the latest version. Track tests like the one conducted by OD saw the petrol Elite i20 which is the heavier car of the two, post more than a second better timings as compared to the Jazz petrol, which came in last in the test.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2017, 14:29   #93
BHPian

Quote:
I own an Active SX Petrol and I will confidently say that it is a very well accomplished car with excellent all round performance.
So, please note that I as a customer, and many more like myself are happy with this so called “Lousy” engine.
Well, my brother was considering the Active-Petrol, and looking at the paper figures I thought why is he even considering this under-powered piece of machinery. Thanks to your writeup, I guess I need to take a test-drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Actually it would be very nice if you can post this comparison and other points based on your experience on the i20-Active review thread. That thread states that the driving experience on the active is similar to elite and focuses on other differences.
Old 31st January 2017, 17:09   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
A revelation to me. Appreciate your sharing this. I was mis-informed and guess not as well read as I should be.

Having a Brio and City always assumed that Honda is better than Hyundai in similar size engines in terms of refinement and acceleration.

I am in the market for another vehicle. Was looking at WRV exclusively. Now no longer. Will test drive the i20 active too. Need a petrol only.

On an aside, I understand that there would be 2 variants of WRV. Would they be both AT i.e CVT or do we get a manual as well? Thanks.

Last edited by ampere : 3rd February 2017 at 10:35. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 31st January 2017, 20:50   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

More details of the WR-V for Brazil, though engines could differ in India, the specs would be very similar.

Length - 4.0 m
Width - 1.73 m
Height - 1.60 m
Ground Clearance - 1.79 cm
Boot space - 363 l
Wheel size - 16 "
Tires - 195/60
Turning Radius - 5.3 m

And here will be the major difference- In Brazil the engine is -
Quote:
The engine is the 1.5 i-VTEC FlexOne with 115/116 HP to 6,000 rpm and 15.2 15.3 kgfm/the 4,800 rpm. The transmission is of type CVT with 7-speed simulation. The new Honda WR-V hasn't revealed prices. The release should occur until March.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 31st January 2017 at 20:52.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2017, 21:09   #96
BHPian

Going by the discussions it appears that the WR-V would be a sub 4 meter and 1.2 litre petrol/1.5 L diesel which means it would enjoy the lower excise (or GST) benefits. So a perfect competitor for Ford Ecosport is in the making (Provided Honda prices the same lower than the ecosport)
Old 1st February 2017, 21:47   #97
BHPian

My opinion - the 1.5 L engine would not fit the excise benefits that the sub 4 mtr 1.2 L enjoys. So if offered, Honda may price it next to the Creta!The photo of the WR-V makes me feel it is an old lady with a heavy make-up!

I understand cars, SUVs and crossovers. However, these new gen crossovers confuse me a lot; they are like small cars aspiring to be SUVs with heavy plastic cladding and a few extra mm of GC. Some engine tuning helps on the performance of these cross cars, however they lack the road presence, toughness, commanding position and off-road capabilities of a true SUV or even a cross over. At best they are suited to avoid a few speed breakers our roads showcase which otherwise would have reduced the cabin space of our standard hatch. If Kwid is called a mini SUV, our hardcore jeepers would start searching for the low range gears, when all it could do is your regular errands...

And for the premium that Honda would charge above the Jazz - I understand and can justify the 50K price difference between the Swift and Dzire. However if there is a similar difference here, I wonder what would be differentiating factor. Plastics? Engine tuning (if done) and GC changes dont justify it for sure.
harishF1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 22:59   #98
Senior - BHPian

Was looking forward to the H-RV. I thought it'd be perfect for India, given the Creta's success. Have seen the H-RV in Thailand and I had pretty much decided that I'll buy one when it made it to India. Instead I see this Jazz on stilts with big wheel arches and plastic cladding. Have never been a fan of these hatch/SUV crossovers. Sad that Honda isn't tapping into its existing global portfolio to serve one of the hottest segments in the auto market.
razor4077 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 08:34   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Releasing in Brazil soon, here is first look video ( Autos Segredos) of the WR-V including interiors!

volkman10 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 09:53   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So, please note that I as a customer, and many more like myself are happy with this so called “Lousy” engine.
Glad to know that you are happy with 1.2 Hyundai and this is exactly what i wanted to say. If there are happy customers with 1.2 Hyundai, I don't get why people complain on 1.2 Honda unit.
The reason why you see a lot more Active's is simply because it is lot more practical package than Elite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Not to forget the same OD has given clear engine advantage to iVTEC in terms of performance refinement and fuel efficiency in a i20 vs Jazz comparo. My point is not prove which is the best, I wanted to convey that 1.2 on WRV is not that bad option given how the market dynamics are.

Last edited by ampere : 3rd February 2017 at 10:36. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
PrideRed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 11:28   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
the specs would be very similar.
As speculated already, going directly against Brezza and Ecosport. Comparison of dimensions

Name:  WRV Dimension Comparison.PNG
Views: 8636
Size:  8.4 KB
Simhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 09:45   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Will send you a PM by EoD today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Well, my brother was considering the Active-Petrol, and looking at the paper figures I thought why is he even considering this under-powered piece of machinery. Thanks to your writeup, I guess I need to take a test-drive.
A sincere request - Please drive the Elite Petrol first and then take the Active. Also, insist the dealer that you will take a very long test drive without any excuses. That way, you can take a decision after thorough analysis.

Last edited by ampere : 3rd February 2017 at 10:37.
Old 7th February 2017, 18:53   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
As speculated already, going directly against Brezza and Ecosport. Comparison of dimensions
Attachment 1603349
More on the specs of the WR-V for Brazil,

Ground clearance - 207 mm

Angles of approach and departure, at 21º and 33º

WR-V will be powered by a 1.5 litre i-VTEC FlexOne engine, which is paired with an Earth Dreams CVT unit equipped with a torque converter.

With ethanol, the mill generates 116 hp at 6,000 rpm and 150 Nm of twist at 4,800 rpm,

With gasoline, output numbers are 115 hp at 6,000 rpm and 149 Nm at 4,800 rpm.

The WR-V’s rear axle is based on that found on the HR-V, but has been redeveloped for the application here and brings high stiffness for increased comfort and handling.

The SUV also features an electric power steering developed specifically for it, with a turning radius of 5.3 metres.

It rides on dedicated 16-inch alloy wheels and tyres designed for it, with the unique195/60 tyres said to provide comfort and low vibration.

Interiors have 2 optional trims - in this case black/silver and black/orange.

The brand’s Magic Seat system – badged for that market as ULTRa Seats (Utility Long Tall Refresh) – is to be found.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 19:24   #104
BHPian

When can we expect the 1.0-liter VTEC Turbo in Jazz / WR-V in India? Or is it too much to expect from Honda India?
Old 12th February 2017, 00:23   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Some more information on the WR-V (& other Hondas)

Thank you to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts!
Confirmation of the same:
  • Same engines as Jazz:
    • 1.5L i-DTEC, 98 BHP@3600 RPM
    • 1.2L i-VTEC, 89 BHP@6600 RPM
  • 2 variants each for petrol and diesel: S and VX
  • No automatic variants for now

Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh-capture.jpg

Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh-2.jpg
Senna4Ever is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed