Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 27th January 2017, 18:34   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Hindustan Petroleum launches 99-Octane fuel for high-end cars

State-owned fuel retailer Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd. (HPCL) has launched a new high-octane petrol called 'poWer 99'. This fuel boasts of an octane rating of 99, which is currently the highest rating in India.

The company has launched poWer 99 as part of a pilot project in Bangalore. The high-octane petrol will be sold through HPCL's outlet in Murugeshpalya, on Old Airport Road, Bangalore. The fuel's reach will eventually be expanded to other metros in the coming weeks.

Owing to its high octane rating, the poWer 99 petrol can withstand higher compression ratios before the air-fuel mixture gets ignited. Using a lower octane level fuel in engines with high compression ratios results in engine knocking.

This will thus be an ideal fuel choice for high-performance cars from automakers like Porsche, Lamborghini and Ferrari. With cities like Delhi, Bangalore, Chandigarh and Gurgaon seeing an apparent rise in the number of such high-end cars, the demand of good fuel with high octane rating is surely on the rise. HPCL will thus be focusing on these key markets to launch the poWer 99 petrol in the future.

Source: ET Auto

Name:  hindustanpetroleumretailoutlet.jpg
Views: 5730
Size:  125.4 KB
Link to Team-BHP News
dZired is offline   (20) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2017, 13:49   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Hindustan Petroleum launches 99-Octane fuel for high-end cars

Any idea of the prices? Might be costing a bomb.
rohanak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2017, 13:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanak1 View Post
Any idea of the prices? Might be costing a bomb.
97.03 rupees a liter. Available in the hp petrol pump just before manipal hospital on airport road.

Filled a tank yesterday. The response from the engine is manic - way better than s97.
reignofchaos is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2017, 14:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Filled a tank yesterday. The response from the engine is manic - way better than s97.
What car did you put it in and what Octane number is the recommended? Increasing the Octane number above the manufacturer’s recommended number typically won’t give any meaningful improvements.

So I’m very curious to understand how yours could be manic.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2017, 14:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
What car did you put it in and what Octane number is the recommended? Increasing the Octane number above the manufacturer’s recommended number typically won’t give any meaningful improvements.

So I’m very curious to understand how yours could be manic.

Jeroen
My Volvo v40 which has a 1.6 Ford Ecoboost engine with a Polestar tune. The manufacturer recommends 95/98 RON. This engine is known to deliver more power with higher octane brew so its not a placebo.
reignofchaos is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2017, 16:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Volvo v40 which has a 1.6 Ford Ecoboost engine with a Polestar tune. The manufacturer recommends 95/98 RON. This engine is known to deliver more power with higher octane brew so its not a placebo.
i checked and the way I read it is actually designed for RON 98 but also runs on 95. So if anything you are probably seeing the sort of performance it was supposed to have all along. Enjoy!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2017, 14:42   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Man, this is awesome news! 100 bucks a liter is expensive, yet owners of high-end / premium / super cars will rejoice. IIRC, Hindustan Petroleum used to only sell 'power' branded fuel earlier, which was regular octane petrol with some additives thrown in. It was Bharat Petroleum that brought 97 octane petrol.

Related thread - link.

With petrol coming back in a big way - including in the luxury segment - the timing couldn't have been any better.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2017, 18:38   #8
BHPian

I filled my KTM RC 390 - with an engine originally designed for 95 RON and with a high compression ratio of 12.6:1 (marginally lower than 2009 Yamaha R1, a litre class sportbike - 12.7:1) with this 'poWer 99' just to test it. The price was Rs.91.58/- per litre yesterday.

The main difference I have observed is that the characteristic jerkiness at lower RPMs has reduced considerably. The throttle transition at lower RPMs is smoother. The lower RPM 'knocking' is reduced too.

I have ridden only inside the city so far. I hardly observed any difference beyond 5000 RPM though. I would say, save your 160 bucks per tank and fill 91 RON regular petrol.

Last edited by theredliner : 14th April 2017 at 18:42.
theredliner is offline   Reply With Quote