Team-BHP - Maruti discontinues lower variants of S-Cross 1.6L
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Maruti discontinues lower variants of S-Cross 1.6L (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/183802-maruti-discontinues-lower-variants-s-cross-1-6l.html)

Maruti Suzuki has silently discontinued the Delta and Zeta variants from the S-Cross DDiS 320 model line-up. As a result, the 1.6-litre engine powered S-Cross is now available only in the top-end Alpha variant, priced at Rs. 12.03 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi). No changes have been made to the 1.3-litre DDiS 200 model line-up.

Maruti launched the S-Cross in India in 2015. Owing to its exorbitant price tag, the 'premium crossover' didn't manage to attract satisfactory sales for the automaker, forcing it to cut prices by up to Rs. 2.05 lakh in January 2016. This helped the S-Cross to attract a few sales numbers. Maruti currently sells around 2,000 units of the S-Cross every month. However, a major chunk of these sales are for the DDiS 200 variants that are powered by a 1.3-litre diesel engine.

Meanwhile, the DDiS 320 model, which draws power from a 1.6-litre diesel engine rated at 118 BHP and 320 Nm of torque, garnered appreciation from the enthusiasts but didn't manage to clock sufficient sales numbers. Maruti also claims that most customers opting for the larger engine wanted all the bells and whistles as well, and thus the Alpha variant was the popular choice. This might have been a reason behind Maruti discontinuing sales of the lower variants.

Maruti discontinues lower variants of S-Cross 1.6L-marutiscross02.jpg
Link to Team-BHP News

Old news; it was just discussed this morning here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post4136389

Quote:

Originally Posted by dZired (Post 4136619)
Maruti also claims that most customers opting for the larger engine wanted all the bells and whistles as well, and thus the Alpha variant was the popular choice. This might have been a reason behind Maruti discontinuing sales of the lower variants.

I subscribe to this thought as well. As per me, the current MS S-Cross line-up is the way they should have started-off albeit with some sensible pricing for the 1.6 variant. MS should have realised that 1.6 S-Cross version caters to niche market and should have had only the full-loaded version of it to satisfy the enthusiastic buyers thereby being the S-Cross's brand-builder and 1.3 would have been the volume-driver. Hope MS learns something from the S-Cross debacle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dZired (Post 4136619)
Maruti Suzuki has silently discontinued the Delta and Zeta variants from the S-Cross DDiS 320 model line-up. As a result, the 1.6-litre engine powered S-Cross is now available only in the top-end Alpha variant, priced at Rs. 12.03 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi).

To me, it looks like Maruti is intentionally trying to limit the 1.6L's sales. Offering it in the highest variant only has got to take some good numbers away from the 1.6. Maruti might also be finding the larger engine's overall sales too small to bother with multiple variants.

Even if they were to discontinue it one day (hypothetically), the 1.6L helped to cement the S-Cross' reputation as a capable car.

I never really understood the logic behind this move. Infact many people (besides enthusiasts) who can stretch for an Alpha 1.6 would start considering an XUV W6 or the Creta 1.6 SX.

Atleast a Delta 1.6 should have been offered for those who don't need a lot of features. Bad move MS👎🏻.

Quote:

Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 (Post 4137368)
I never really understood the logic behind this move. Infact many people (besides enthusiasts) who can stretch for an Alpha 1.6 would start considering an XUV W6 or the Creta 1.6 SX.

Atleast a Delta 1.6 should have been offered for those who don't need a lot of features. Bad move MS👎🏻.

Do remember that the reasons for someone to consider an S Cross Alpha 1.6 are most probably quite different from those who are seeking a large sized people mover.
Such consumers would tend to be pretty well off, pretty evolved in terms of their needs, will no longer equate "Size" with "Price", will probably have "taste" and a certain penchant for a well put together "solid" sort of vehicle with good features, good safety, excellent power and will most probably be a Mid-Senior Management type with a smaller "nuclear" family. They would also wish, in some sense, to stand out from the "common herd".
In all probability, such a family will probably have more than one car, the large waggon for the extended family accompanied by a Chauffeur and the S Cross for the primary family members to use as the daily drive. Such a family may or may not have one more car hanging around the house for the use of the secondary family members.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shankar.balan (Post 4137427)
Do remember that the reasons for someone to consider an S Cross Alpha 1.6 are most probably quite different from those who are seeking a large sized people mover.

Such consumers would tend to be pretty well off, pretty evolved in terms of their needs, will no longer equate "Size" with "Price", will probably have "taste" and a certain penchant for a well put together "solid" sort of vehicle with good features, good safety, excellent power and will most probably be a Mid-Senior Management type with a smaller "nuclear" family. They would also wish, in some sense, to stand out from the "common herd".

In all probability, such a family will probably have more than one car, the large waggon for the extended family accompanied by a Chauffeur and the S Cross for the primary family members to use as the daily drive. Such a family may or may not have one more car hanging around the house for the use of the secondary family members.

We are talking about an S-Cross and not some lifestyle SUV/pick-up like the Dmax Vcross. It's a simple crossover which can be considered by anyone with a budget of 15Lakhs. There is no specific set of customers for such cars. Yes the 1.6 multijet is a heck of an engine but there is nothing exclusive about the Alpha variant. Neither does it have awd nor 6 airbags nor ESP. Just for normal things like a projector headlamps, touch screen head unit.etc. I find it ridiculous to pay 15L. A Delta variant will give the customers the flexibility to get a few things aftermarket. Plus with the Delta 1.6 you don't miss out on any safety features in comparison to the Alpha 1.6. By the way the type of customer you have described usually prefer the Creta Diesel Auto. I know atleast 3 people who fit in the exact description.
My point is that the Delta 1.6 is far more accessible for customers having a budget of 10-12 Lakhs.

The money being asked for an Alpha 1.6 is near about the base Elantra, Creta, XUV and such cars, all of whom IMHO offer more value or a desirable quality than a S-Cross. A lowly 1.5 Figo TDCi probably offers the same kind of performance as a 1.6 S-cross for a lot less money without the low rev turbo lag. So me too thinks that a lower entry point for the 1.6 would probably help sales than the very expensive for what it offers Alpha.

Quote:

Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 (Post 4137368)

Atleast a Delta 1.6 should have been offered for those who don't need a lot of features. Bad move MS����.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPARKled (Post 4137500)
The money being asked for an Alpha 1.6 is near about the base Elantra, Creta, XUV and such cars, all of whom IMHO offer more value or a desirable quality than a S-Cross. A lowly 1.5 Figo TDCi probably offers the same kind of performance as a 1.6 S-cross for a lot less money without the low rev turbo lag. So me too thinks that a lower entry point for the 1.6 would probably help sales than the very expensive for what it offers Alpha.

In my humble opinion, giving 1.6 exclusively in a lower variant makes 0 sense. Having multiple options is another story.

I would like to look the current move in a different perspective. S-Cross has 4 variants - Sigma, Delta, Zeta, Alpha. All variants have 1.3 L engine option while the top variant has an additional option of 1.6 L engine. This is how many premium cars are specced - aint it?

No disagreement that this was not the initial strategy. However, when the sales is not really encouraging, they were forced to change the strategy. If 1.6 was getting enough sales in lower (or any) variants - I am sure Maruti would not have adopted this strategy. And now, Maruti will (have to) project S-Cross DDiS 320 as the real top variant.

Quote:

Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 (Post 4137478)
We are talking about an S-Cross and not some lifestyle SUV/pick-up like the Dmax Vcross. It's a simple crossover which can be considered by anyone with a budget of 15Lakhs. There is no specific set of customers for such cars. Yes the 1.6 multijet is a heck of an engine but there is nothing exclusive about the Alpha variant. Neither does it have awd nor 6 airbags nor ESP. Just for normal things like a projector headlamps, touch screen head unit.etc. I find it ridiculous to pay 15L. A Delta variant will give the customers the flexibility to get a few things aftermarket. Plus with the Delta 1.6 you don't miss out on any safety features in comparison to the Alpha 1.6. By the way the type of customer you have described usually prefer the Creta Diesel Auto. I know atleast 3 people who fit in the exact description.
My point is that the Delta 1.6 is far more accessible for customers having a budget of 10-12 Lakhs.

To each his own. I went for 1.6 Alpha variant at a time when it was available in 3 variants. In my comparison, S-Cross offered much more than the Creta SX+ at a slightly lesser price. The Creta SX (O) had much more to offer - but at around 2.5 lakhs more. Many asked me why not XUV W4 or W6 or a lower end Innova - but I never considered a 7 seater or a pseudo 7 seater. I wanted a powerful big hatchback that could seat 5 in comfort with enough space for a 6' 3"-er and the person sitting behind him. Figo / Aspire were not even in the considering - Engine is great but I didnt find the package premium enough. Jazz and i20 were close but S-Cross won the deal for me. I am sure I am not alone. My 2 paise.

Yes Im with Vigkey here.
If I hadnt already bought the Yeti then I would certainly have bought the 1.6 Alpha SCross.
The only few things it lacks in comparison to my Yeti are;
4WD/ AWD
ESP
TCS
AT
Hill Hold
6-8 airbags
Passenger seat height adjustment.
Flexi rear seats/ removable seats like the Yeti has.

Else it is one heck of a Crossover.
I also prefer owning a large ish hatchback Compact 4 seater Crossover with lots of power and bells and whistles on tap rather than the more conventional choice of a 7 seater people mover type of giant SUV.
Hence my earlier post and many besides where Ive bluntly suggested to all and sundry that the Alpha 1.6 S Cross is a badly under rated and ignored option which really has a lot of merit compared with the other stuff on offer in the market.
Maybe Im in a minority.
But then, I dont care.
I will continue to please myself with my personal car choices. Which is why I bought the Yeti brand new 5 years back and am still keeping it and now have bought an old second hand Gypsy too.
Couldnt be bothered what the rest of the world may do or judge me for what Im doing!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vigkey (Post 4137505)
In my humble opinion, giving 1.6 exclusively in a lower variant makes 0 sense. Having multiple options is another story.

I would like to look the current move in a different perspective. S-Cross has 4 variants - Sigma, Delta, Zeta, Alpha. All variants have 1.3 L engine option while the top variant has an additional option of 1.6 L engine. This is how many premium cars are specced - aint it?

No disagreement that this was not the initial strategy. However, when the sales is not really encouraging, they were forced to change the strategy. If 1.6 was getting enough sales in lower (or any) variants - I am sure Maruti would not have adopted this strategy.

To each his own. Btw many premium cars or slightly expensive cars give you an option of the bigger engine in the lower variant. And as you have said had Maruti adopted this strategy in the first place these things would have been out of question. Like I remember they did with the Alto way back in 2001. VX and VXi got the 1.1L F10D engine. My family had one and we always got questions like why we didn't get the WagonR or a Santro Xing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by shankar.balan (Post 4137515)
Yes Im with Vigkey here.
If I hadnt already bought the Yeti then I would certainly have bought the 1.6 Alpha SCross.
The only few things it lacks in comparison to my Yeti are;
4WD/ AWD
ESP
TCS
AT
Hill Hold
6-8 airbags
Passenger seat height adjustment.
Flexi rear seats/ removable seats like the Yeti has.

Else it is one heck of a Crossover.
I also prefer owning a large ish hatchback Compact 4 seater Crossover with lots of power and bells and whistles on tap rather than the more conventional choice of a 7 seater people mover type of giant SUV.
Hence my earlier post and many besides where Ive bluntly suggested to all and sundry that the Alpha 1.6 S Cross is a badly under rated and ignored option which really has a lot of merit compared with the other stuff on offer in the market.
Maybe Im in a minority.
But then, I dont care.
I will continue to please myself with my personal car choices. Which is why I bought the Yeti brand new 5 years back and am still keeping it and now have bought an old second hand Gypsy too.
Couldnt be bothered what the rest of the world may do or judge me for what Im doing!

No one is or was judging your choices. You were talking about the specific set of buyers who get the 1.6 which wasn't entirely true. Even my default choice would be the Scross 1.6 in that segment but the lower variants as the Alpha doesn't offer anything special over the Delta variant. It's either cosmetic or regular features. I hope you get my perspective. Congratulations on the Gypsy!

@asit:

Thanks. Yes I love that Gypsy. Always have. This is the third one in my life.
Am a sucker for punishment I guess. Like Richard Burton married, divorced and re-married Liz Taylor 3 or 4 times....that's my similar story with the Gypsy marque...

Back on Topic. That S Cross Alpha 1.6 I guess would have been my default choice simply because it is the top spec available and I really believe in buying the best available. I love that 1.6 engine, the 320 NM of torque, that sort of 'G' force push when one accelerates, the 4 disc brakes and the lovely big, supportive and solid feeling leather seats, in that Alpha which I test drove.

I have actually forgotten what the differences were between the Delta and the Alpha.

When I was buying the Yeti 5 odd years ago, I was actually planning for the 4x4 Ambiente which was there at that time.

My good friend prodded me in the direction of the Elegance top spec by making me stretch that extra 2 lacs. I am glad I did, even though the real difference was mostly in that Touchscreen system and the 6 airbags.

In the case of the I20, 3 odd years ago, given what our priorities were at the time, there was no other option but the Asta. Ideally I would have loved the Asta (O) with that 1.4 litre engine and AT Transmission but they wanted us to wait 3 months for it.

Ever since then I ve just not considered the second level variants.

Blinkered horse behaviour maybe...

I won't be surprised if they discontinue the 1.6l engine itself. The S Cross, even in 1.3l guise is a rare car to spot.

Personally; I was not sold on the looks of the car. It looked dated when launched. The design appealed only to some.

What ruined the plot was a 17lac on road price tag for the S Cross in my city. Even now, I won't call it cheap. I don't think a Creta or Duster is cheap either. However; put a Creta and S Cross next to each other and 95% will pick the Hyundai. Off course, we must keep aside driving dynamics, etc.

This segment of buyer probably wants something with SUV credentials and by this I mean, the car should stand tall. The S Cross does not. The Vitara Brezza might be more appealing in this department too.

Sad that there aren't many takers for this car. I have never driven one but I hear it has the best road manners in its segment and is much better than most sedans on sale.

Bad move, I'd say. Usually the manufacturer has the maximum profit margin on Top End variants, with all the much needed safety features available in the Base trims, Maruti has played it smart by discontinuing them.

The pricing on the 1.6 Alpha is way too on the higher side, heck, for 2L more OTR, you have the Cruze LTZ available.

If I was to discuss on the used car prices for 1.6 in the years to come, the depreciation in itself will be about the price of a Figo D today, which fellow BHPian "SPARKled" has rightly mentioned gives just about the same driving pleasure till about 120-140 KMPH.

Paying ~ 2.5-3.0L more just for the so called "features" makes little financial sense.

How I wish, FIAT could have launched the Punto Evo with this 1.6, drivers dream come true with the ride and handling that it offers.