Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2017, 07:51   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Rumour: Toyota C-HR crossover is coming to India

With the Crossover boom and every major player in India has added in its plans, now Toyota India wakes up and is chalking out plans the launch of its latest crossover in India.
Would take on the likes of Hyundai's Creta (some variants), Tucson, Renault's upcoming 'Kaptur', etc.

THE CH-R was recently spotted in Thailand for a possible launch there too.

Link-Thai
Spied in Thailand
Rumour: Toyota C-HR crossover is coming to India-spyshottoyotachrthailand.jpg

Rumour: Toyota C-HR crossover is coming to India-toyotachrwallpaper.jpg
Rumour: Toyota C-HR crossover is coming to India-toyotachr2017interior.jpg

Based on Toyota’s New Global Architecture (TNGA), which is shared with the new Prius, the CH-R may be the first car from the all-new platform to be made in India.

Quote:
Handling will be distinctly sporty and young at heart and there will be a set of interesting engines for India too. A turbocharged petrol is also said to be on the cards
Quote:
Toyota is currently in the process of finalising plans to bring its radically styled SUV, the C-HR to India. A five-door crossover that looks more like a show car than a production car, the CH-R will take on the likes of the Creta and the Tucson when it’s finally launched in India sometime in mid-2018.

Prices for the Toyota C-HR are likely to start around Rs 15 lakh in India.
Link

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd February 2017 at 12:39. Reason: Fixing some spacing :)
volkman10 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 07:57   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Rumour: Toyota C-HR crossover is coming to India

Not sure whether it will work in India, but this is one Toyota that the market will stand up and take notice of! Surely bound to polarize opinions on the looks department, but that might prove to be a good differentiator while entering a crowded segment.

Rumour: Toyota C-HR crossover is coming to India-images.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 10:50   #3
BANNED

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd February 2017 at 15:41.
M AUTO is offline   Received Infraction
Old 2nd February 2017, 11:35   #4
BHPian

I have a feeling that this Cross will be dead on arrival.

Saw it at the `16 Paris Motor Show & the car is too cramped and small.

Assuming it to enter Tucson territory in pricing : 19L~ is too much to ask for a such a small car
FIAT3031 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 11:55   #5
BHPian

Who are they catering to with this offering?

I fail to understand why Toyota is not willing to have a player where Baleno and Creta rule the game?
Are there no cars in their portfolio which fits these segments and can earn volume for them ?
Thilak29 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 15:01   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Not sure whether it will work in India, but this is one Toyota that the market will stand up and take notice of! Surely bound to polarize opinions on the looks department, but that might prove to be a good differentiator while entering a crowded segment.

Attachment 1603269
The looks will surely generate polarized opinions. Love it or hate it, but wont be ignored for sure.

PS: Toyota knowing that people will stand in queue for anything they offer in India (except for the Etios twins), they will surely price this ridiculously high.
nkrishnap is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 15:13   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
With the Crossover boom and every major player in India has added in its plans, now Toyota India wakes up and is chalking out plans the launch of its latest crossover in India.
Would take on the likes of Hyundai's Creta (some variants), Tucson, Renault's upcoming 'Kaptur', etc.

Based on Toyota’s New Global Architecture (TNGA), which is shared with the new Prius, the CH-R may be the first car from the all-new platform to be made in India.
Aah, maybe they are trying to fill the gap which the New Fortuner has left in the lower 20s.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 15:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

Its shortlisted for World Car design of the year as well as Car of the year !

It should work if priced against Creta ? Anything above demands it to be more spacious I think. But looking at wheelbase, should be good on the inside.

Last edited by srishiva : 2nd February 2017 at 15:21.
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 15:32   #9
Senior - BHPian

Is the C-HR also going to be available in Hybrid?
Old 2nd February 2017, 15:56   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Toyota C-HR crossover is coming to India

Distinctive looking thing, for sure.
Couple of things do seem odd though. That rear door handle, it stands out too much to be in such odd a place. Looks completely out of sync. And the rear is too "Honda".
And how big is that C-pillar??
Old 2nd February 2017, 16:58   #11
AYP
Senior - BHPian

The interiors of the car actually look wow! The exteriors also look striking. I am pretty sure that if it is priced well(not expecting Creta level prices), it will definitely sell and eat into the sales of the C and D segment crossovers and SUV's.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 17:01   #12
BHPian

The design can be very polarizing. I would have much liked if they released their RAV4 instead. A more acceptable design and a model with brand recognition over decades.
Old 2nd February 2017, 17:09   #13
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

Link-Thai
Spied in Thailand
Attachment 1603272

Attachment 1603270
Attachment 1603271

Link
I would assume that Toyota would have done some research before they styled this. Maybe the millennials like such snazzy/ quirky styling and prioritize form over utility. In general, most companies are trending towards styling quirkiness which had been a Korean hall mark in the past.

Somehow, at my age, I am unable to get over this styling!
Old 2nd February 2017, 18:28   #14
BHPian

A very differently nice looking car this is. Even I noticed the unusual set up of the rear door handles and somehow couldnt understand the setup.

The car does look the money but all depends on where Toyota would want to place this. With what is currently happening with Fortuner(10,000 units in the first 2 months, seriously India has too much money), I wont find myself surprised if this car will rival the Tuscon.

Isnt the SUV war getting a little too far? I mean on one side these cars have gone from being available at 7-8 lakhs for a base variant to all the way to 12-13 lakhs now. I remember Ecosport was available at an very attractive price when launched(2013 I guess)and look at it now. Shouldn't the competition bring prices down?
ramgkulkarni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 19:43   #15
BHPian

I am attaching the Toyota UK website brochure for those that may be interested in seeing more of the exterior and interior.

Engines and specifications will probably differ for India should the car get launched here.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Toyota C-HR.pdf (7.65 MB, 1374 views)
Raja is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed