Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2017, 11:58   #16
Team-BHP Support

re: Tata's upcoming 'TaMo' brand & Sportscar

Here we go again:

1) TaMo? Seriously?
TAMO: Tata's new mobility solutions brand. Full details on page 3-narendramodi.jpg
image source

2) 25 lakhs?? Good luck! Even at 10 lakhs it would be difficult for a Tata + Sports Car combination in India.

3) 1.2 liter! At that price this is a joke. I can get a 190 BHP 1.8L TSI instead

4) Mid-engined? Does this imply 2-seater? That's another big disadvantage in India.

If they change at least 3 of the above points, then there would be some hope of a decent reception in the market.

I've also heard that this car won't have "Tata" badging on it anywhere.

On the plus side, I look forward to seeing the design. Tata has been churning out some spectacular looking cars lately.

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd February 2017 at 12:55.
Rehaan is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 12:31   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Pratap Bose calls it the "Tri Arrow". Official logo?

TAMO: Tata's new mobility solutions brand. Full details on page 3-untitled.jpg

RavenAvi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 12:41   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Pratap Bose calls it the "Tri Arrow". Official logo?

There is an obvious 'inspiration' by the Mercedes Benz tri pointed star, like the original 'T' logo was inspired by the same after they were asked to stop using the Mercedes logo on TELCO products.

Could have come up with something more original!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 13:03   #19
BHPian

Aah! Even if Tata Motors is keen on doing this, they might be better served by looking in the direction of the Civic Type-R or the Veloster rather than the Opel Speedster, A halo mid-engine sports car might be a little too much of a stretch for TaMo...
da_lowrider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 13:34   #20
BHPian

A basic sports car with good dynamics, with the current tata design skills and with engineering expertise from Jaguar could definitely be something!

Name and logo be damned! The product matters first and I'll reserve my judgement till its actually presented.

The real question for me is will this become an actual product? Or will it be another one of those tata autoshow concepts which never get produced! Then its going to do nothing for them.
I guess we'll have to wait till we get more news.
N.r.K is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 13:57   #21
BHPian

I think it's a good strategy to introduce a new sub brand and that too performance oriented to the Indian consumers.
About the 25 lakhs price tag, I don't think it's the numbers that Tata must be looking rather than setting an image or showing off their capabilities.

Regarding the Nano sport or Bolt Sport concept that they introduced in the past, it was only limited to auto shows and news articles and majority didn't even knew about it.
It's only when these cars are officially launched and displayed in the showrooms along with their other cars will help vast number of people know about the advancements in the automotive field that Tata Motors have been constantly doing.

Another silver lining can be seen is who knows in the future Maruti brings their full spec'd Swift Sport or other performance hatchbacks to the Indian customers as we all know how seriously the effect of competition moves the brands!

Last edited by Sherlocked : 2nd February 2017 at 14:03.
Sherlocked is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 14:10   #22
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Motors aims for a top 3 spot in PV sales!

New Sub brand TAMO (stands for TATA ADVANCED MOBILITY) for future mobility solutions
Attached Thumbnails
TAMO: Tata's new mobility solutions brand. Full details on page 3-tamo.jpg  

TAMO: Tata's new mobility solutions brand. Full details on page 3-tamo1.jpg  

TAMO: Tata's new mobility solutions brand. Full details on page 3-tamo2.jpg  

Last edited by Latheesh : 2nd February 2017 at 14:13.
Latheesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 14:28   #23
Senior - BHPian

TAMO website www.tamo.co.in shows count down clock. Something exciting just before Geneva Motor show this year?
Attached Thumbnails
TAMO: Tata's new mobility solutions brand. Full details on page 3-tamo-website.jpg  

Latheesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 14:34   #24
Senior - BHPian

http://www.tamo.co.in has gone live.
It's basically just showing a countdown to the Geneva Auto Show where TaMo will reveal the concept.
Hopefully this sub-branding exercise goes on to do more than what Mahindra has done with their customization division.
Amartya is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 14:38   #25
Team-BHP Support

Rehaan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 14:57   #26
BHPian

The biggest issues of tata motors, I feel, is the PSU style work culture. Especially at the dealer and service centre level.

I'll assume that its the same at production level as well judging by the amount of time they take to put a concept car into production.

Looking at those presentation slides which are posted in the other thread, it looks like they are trying to address this.
If they can indeed churn out the new products in lesser amount of time and sell it through a new chain of better dealers, we can definitely expect much better things in the future!

PS. After seeing the presentation, I doubt it'll be a true blue sports car. My guess, it'll be a car for urban mobility. A kinda sporty luxurious crossoverish hatch loaded with equipment. But its just a wild guess!
N.r.K is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 15:10   #27
Senior - BHPian

Here it is, they are going to open the cover on 7-Mar @ Geneva
Attached Thumbnails
TAMO: Tata's new mobility solutions brand. Full details on page 3-tamo.jpg  

Latheesh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 15:26   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Here we go again:

1) TaMo? Seriously?

2) 25 lakhs?? Good luck! Even at 10 lakhs it would be difficult for a Tata + Sports Car combination in India.

3) 1.2 liter! At that price this is a joke. I can get a 190 BHP 1.8L TSI instead

4) Mid-engined? Does this imply 2-seater? That's another big disadvantage in India.

If they change at least 3 of the above points, then there would be some hope of a decent reception in the market.

I've also heard that this car won't have "Tata" badging on it anywhere.

On the plus side, I look forward to seeing the design. Tata has been churning out some spectacular looking cars lately.
It's a halo car, a brand building exercise and nothing else.

If Tata was really looking at sales potential or market acceptability they would not have built a sports car in the first place.

The car is supposed to build a visual correlation with the brand, so that the next time a consumer recalls 'TAMO' in his mind a sports car should come up, it's very simple!

Most likely this will be a limited edition, enough numbers for a good few collectors to buy, some to be displayed across all the main showrooms, few to be purchased by dealers, suppliers, company executives etc. A production run of 200-300 maybe! Things like value, brand strength, practicality......all are thrown out of the window.

A styling, marketing exercise and a technology showcase.

Highly likely going into the future one will keep hearing at every opportunity, 'see the new Tata hatchback, now with the same 1.2 engine as the Tamo Futuro'. JLR did it with the F-type, everytime one came across a petrol V6 option for a Land Rover or Jag product the official tagline is 'powered by the same engine in the F-type'.

Tata Motors will be sinking crores into this exercise and even the sports car would be more or less part of the marketing budget. The economics would simply otherwise not make any sense.

So, what you asked 'Who will buy a 25 lac Tata 2 seater sports car with a 1.2 engine?', Well, Tata never asked that question in the first place. They just want us to look at it and go 'Wow'!!

Lets wait and see how good a job they do at that!
shortbread is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 15:28   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

There is an obvious 'inspiration' by the Mercedes Benz tri pointed star, like the original 'T' logo was inspired by the same after they were asked to stop using the Mercedes logo on TELCO products.

Could have come up with something more original!
After they named this sub-brand as TaMo, i would rather have them not be so original and copy an established brand like Mercedes.
Old 2nd February 2017, 16:24   #30
RSR
Senior - BHPian

What does the Italian city of Catania on the island of Sicily have to do with the Tamo sub-brand?

This is the first image on the Tamo site:

TAMO: Tata's new mobility solutions brand. Full details on page 3-32_960x540.jpg

A Google image search reveals the location as Piazza Duomo (Cathedral Square) in the city of Catania:

TAMO: Tata's new mobility solutions brand. Full details on page 3-unnamed-5.jpg

(Image source)

Last edited by RSR : 2nd February 2017 at 16:35.
RSR is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks