Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2017, 16:29   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata's upcoming 'TaMo' brand & Sportscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
:There is an obvious 'inspiration' by the Mercedes Benz tri pointed star, like the original 'T' logo was inspired by the same after they were asked to stop using the Mercedes logo on TELCO products.
Nobody asked them to stop using the Mercedes logo. They stopped using it themselves when the collaboration agreement with Daimler expired in 1969.
directinjection is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 16:32   #32
Senior - BHPian

i hope it doesnt end up like so so many performance versions of their cars and end up like the Indica/bolt/nano/tiago sport as a pure marketing/brand building exercise
greenhorn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 16:39   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
If Tata was really looking at sales potential or market acceptability they would not have built a sports car in the first place.
Yes, of course.

When I say "decent reception in the market", I mean one where people actually say "Wow!" and not "Wow, but 25 lakhs for a 1.2-liter Tata - what a joke!".

One creates a Halo effect, the other creates a Joke effect.

Tata's track record of 'Sports' cars that seem to disappear into thin air is already well known. Some examples:
TAMO: Tata's new mobility solutions brand. Full details on page 3-2003indicasport38608.jpg

TAMO: Tata's new mobility solutions brand. Full details on page 3-tataariacoupe01.jpg

TAMO: Tata's new mobility solutions brand. Full details on page 3-2010vistasport758119862_wcecul.jpg

TAMO: Tata's new mobility solutions brand. Full details on page 3-2015120bhpboltsporttataboltsportfrontthreequartersrightatthe2015genevamotorshow.jpg

TAMO: Tata's new mobility solutions brand. Full details on page 3-2016tiagosport2.jpeg

Companies are getting too carried away with marketing instead of focusing on perfecting their products, which will market themselves.

The fact that a car might create a 'Halo effect' should be a byproduct of making a great car. Not the primary aim.

Also, getting press isn't the same as creating a Halo effect.

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd February 2017 at 17:05.
Rehaan is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 16:42   #34
BHPian

Video about new Advanced Modular Platform posted on Tata Motors youtube channel

Last edited by mrbaddy : 2nd February 2017 at 16:42. Reason: Corrected Source
mrbaddy is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 18:12   #35
BHPian

re: TAMO: Tata's new mobility solutions brand. Full details on page 3

What exciting times to live in. If TATA really pulls off a sports car with decent credentials then it will be a great thing for the Indian car scene. Just imagine the possibilities and what it can do to the next generation of fast car production in India. Just like the current SUV boom, we might see affordable sports car boom in India. This might be a little far stretched but it sure is a step in the right direction by Tata.

One might think that Tata has done some blunders with previous "Sports" version of some of its work horses but really I dont think even they were serious back then. But what differentiates them now is the fact that they now own JLR. There is a lot of technology/expertise sharing that is happening. Just look at Hexa and you will realize that Tata is no longer a passenger carrier. They have taken things seriously and are aiming at better things in the future.

We can even expect Tata to split their offering models by adopting private customer based offering and CV offerings as separate. Might just do the trick
ramgkulkarni is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 19:58   #36
BHPian

Nice idea but I don't want any 1.2 or 2.0 litre engine.

If TaMo makes a car producing upwards of 250 BHP, 3.5 litre V6 at a sub 30 lakh, then I'd be in the line with my wallet ready.

Of course, should have the dynamics to back up the power otherwise it's gonna end up by DC Avanti.

Hope Tata succeeds. Nothing more will make my happy than seeing a Tamo car in Italy.
The Brutailer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 07:10   #37
Sac
BHPian

From what I've read TaMo is not a performance sub-brand but a mobility solutions umbrella brand/vertical which will be an incubation center of sorts for innovative tech development and demonstration on low volume low investment footprint. I'm hoping that the to be launched sports car will have some innovative technology being showcased.
Sac is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 09:12   #38
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors aims for a top 3 spot in PV sales!

First look at that sports car from Tata, it's got those curves you know. The curves too well known. HM Amby in a modern and sports avatar, if it ever took off? Well lets see what they unwrap.

I feel very strange about myself here because this is not the Tata that I have grown to dislike over the years. Of late Tata Motors has really kept me interested in their new line ups since the release of the Zest. And I won't be surprised if they soon find themselves overtaking Mahindra. Heck, I wish they do. All they need to do now is continue producing good cars and gain more respect from the common man by breaking the 'taxi' stigma attached to their cars for good.
sub.g84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 09:12   #39
Senior - BHPian

Does Tata really need to do this? While it is too early to comment, I believe they made huge strides with cars like the Bolt/Zest, Tiago and the just launched Hexa. If they continue building cars like these, I believe they will succeed in the long term. I don't believe it is wise to take the low investment route. When you say things like this, it does sound like there will be compromises made somewhere and this is not what you want, when you are trying to turn yourself around. The Nano was not really low investment, nor are any of the cars they sell today and despite that, they don't succeed on that all important word, Reliability.

Every car that Tata has come out with has never been perfect at the first attempt. It always goes through a revision (sometimes multiple) and even then they goof up. I still hear the iconic belt screeching noise from a new Indica. How could you have not managed to fix this for a car that has been in production for almost two decades! This car ain't cheap too. At a shade over 6.5lac on road, your options for better engineered cars open up.

Whatever they do, it is their attitude and approach to building cars that must change.
sandeepmohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 09:21   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
New Sub brand TAMO (stands for TATA ADVANCED MOBILITY) for future mobility solutions
Main Brand -> 'TA'ta 'MO'tors
Sub-Brand -> TAMO

New sub-brand, I mean seriously? Where else will we find an example wherein the main-brand and the sub-brand are the same.
Vinodh_Gowda is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 09:47   #41
BHPian

Guys let us give them the benefit of doubt, shall we? It seems to be quite clear from their statement that they have identified a gap in the market (performance cars) and have, for a change, decided to be one of the first to address it. I honestly think it would worth it as a brand building/marketing exercise alone.

Low volume/low investment is exactly what most Indian enthusiasts want. Low investment probably means taking an existing product from their lineup and giving it a performance boost. We don't complain when there is a Fiat Abarth or a VW GT, do we?

A Bolt Sport with 120PS or HEXA TUFF with 160PS would surely be well received. This would also mean that the costs would be in check and can be considered as a viable option.
NiXTriX2004 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 10:54   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinodh_Gowda View Post
Main Brand -> 'TA'ta 'MO'tors
Sub-Brand -> TAMO

New sub-brand, I mean seriously? Where else will we find an example wherein the main-brand and the sub-brand are the same.
Have you ever seen someone referring Tata Motors as TAMO before launching this TAMO sub brand?

People refer Tata Motors as TML or just say TATA (Some old folks still call it Telco).
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 10:58   #43
GTO
Team-BHP Support

TAMO isn't a performance brand only. Although it *can* launch a sporty car as one of its products, this isn't the same as a dedicated sports division.

You know how we always complain about car manufacturers speaking 500 words, but actually saying very little? This press release is a classic example of that. I've read it thrice and still fail to understand the *exact* purpose of TAMO. It only gives a vague idea, without any specifics. If anyone asks me what exactly TAMO does, I honestly have no clue.

@ Tata Motors: Please SIMPLIFY.

Quote:
As a core element of its transformation journey ‘FutuReady’, Tata Motors presented today its new Passenger Vehicle strategy and introduced its new sub-brand - TAMO. It will act as an incubating center of innovation towards new technologies, business models and partnerships in order to define future mobility solutions.

TAMO as a new, separated vertical will operate in the first step on a low volume, low investment model to provide fast tracked proves of technologies and concepts. TAMO will act as an open platform to network with global startups and leading tech companies, to get access to trends, innovations and solutions, for the design of exciting future products and services. For the rapidly changing automotive environment, TAMO will transform the experience of interfacing and interacting with customers and the wider community. TAMO will provide a digital eco-system, which will be leveraged by Tata Motors to support the mainstream business in the future.

Speaking on the announcement, Guenter Butschek, MD & CEO, Tata Motors, said, “The success of our transformation journey ‘FutuReady’ is measured by our vision and depends on our ability to deliver on our comprehensive strategies for our business units. Our game plan addresses six themes – topline improvement, cost management, structural improvements, customer centricity, new mobility solutions and organizational effectiveness. To secure our future in a rapidly changing environment, the advanced mobility solutions space is of utmost importance. The introduction of TAMO will help us to co-design India's automotive footprint by taking new technologies and mobility concepts as a new ecosystem to market.”

Tata Motors’ New Passenger Vehicle (PV) Strategy

To achieve sustainable financial performance, while delivering exciting innovations, Tata Motors is aiming to be amongst the top 3 passenger vehicles by 2019, in India. Taking an outside-in approach, Tata Motors reviewed its existing PV product portfolio and formulated a new PV strategy based on the evaluation of different customer segments and global progressions in terms of design, technology and innovation. Tata Motors foresees a strong demand growth in the hatchback and the SUV segments, according to this study.

Speaking on its well-defined PV Strategy, Mayank Pareek, President, PV Business, Tata Motors, said, “In line with our new PV strategy, our portfolio will include a mix of brand enhancing products and ones that are well aligned to the rising aspirations of the different target customer segments. Our strategy is to deliver 7-8 product variants from two platforms, for greater coverage and sizable economies of scale. Our new architectural approach supports our effort to reduce complexity, enables future technologies and ensures global relevance. We have mapped technology solutions in key areas such as powertrain systems, ADAS and enhanced connectivity to our future product portfolio and have defined the application framework. Our goal is not to just comply with the emerging regulations but be ahead of the requirement.”

Technology drivers that will lead the future

The automotive industry is facing a discontinuity in the nature of mobility, and the products & services needed to satisfy the emerging customer preferences. These emerging trends may lead to a new set of competitors thus causing disruption in the traditional operating models. To secure a future position in a rapidly changing environment, Tata Motors is actively exploring opportunities to offer products and solutions catering to the discerning needs of our customers, new approaches, technologies, business models and partnerships.

Speaking on tapping innovative mindset globally, Dr. Tim Leverton, President and Head Advanced and Product Engineering, Tata Motors, said, “With TAMO, we are starting a new era. The idea is to find new and agile ways of innovating and experimenting. Our success in this new mobility world will be contingent to our ability to network globally and to partner with new thought leaders. Our focus will be to scout for new technologies and to explore opportunities at the innovation hubs across the globe and to work with start-ups in the new spaces. Since this requires a different way of thinking, we will apply within TAMO also, new ways of working because leadership is all about time to market.”
The first product developed by TAMO will premiere at the upcoming 87th Geneva International Motor Show on March 7, 2017.
GTO is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 11:03   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Have you ever seen someone referring Tata Motors as TAMO before launching this TAMO sub brand?

People refer Tata Motors as TML or just say TATA (Some old folks still call it Telco).
Agreed but then can the uncanny similarity be missed?
Old 3rd February 2017, 11:23   #45
Team-BHP Support

Re: TAMO: Tata's new mobility solutions brand. Full details on page 3

^^ Lots of big buzz words in that press release - innovation, incubation, technology, connectivity and so on.

One key question I have is how can a TAMO car be low investment and low volume at the same time. The only possibility is adding new technologies to an existing model like Tiago. Low investment means TAMO cars will not have a new chassis/body/dashboard etc.

What's likely is somewhat premium cars with high-end technologies like mild-hybrids, brake regeneration, self-parking, automatic braking, alternative fuels and so on. This part is key -

Quote:
TAMO will act as an open platform to network with global startups and leading tech companies, to get access to trends, innovations and solutions, for the design of exciting future products and services.
This means an automotive startup can quickly tie-up with TAMO and put their products on the road (through integration with existing Tata cars).
SmartCat is online now   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks