Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2017, 20:21   #31
BHPian

Re: January 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

I don't thing any amount of cosmetic surgery can really give a boost to City. It will sell well, no doubt. But Ciaz has seized space from City in popular consciousness.
Old 7th February 2017, 21:31   #32
BHPian

Hi, Adithya.

As always, thank you for the detailed report.

VW is here to stay. The vehicle quality is supreme comparatively.

Ford recall: i reckon it is in the legal framework that the 'silent' fix is taking place. I would not call it a recall if they are waiting for vehicles to come in at their service interval. Recall would need to be reported officially. Hope for more details in this space for clarity.

Isuzu: Has this been intentionally skipped?

Thank you. Hoping to stay connected.
Boomerang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 21:47   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
I guess Ciaz's successful run stops with January. With new Honda City launch round the corner, it may settle with 2nd place and 5000 units in February.

Celerio, Kwid and Ciaz. I got no problem when selling them. Lol.
Ciaz may retain its leadership if Honda prices City exorbitantly. Knowing Honda, they might just do that. If that happens, expect Ciaz to become even more VFM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Maruti just grows and shows no signs of saturation.

Toyota's brand loyalty is shown in these numbers. The Fortuner is consistently clocking 1500+ units for 3 months on the trot. The Endeavour is clearly been hit, though I wouldn't go as far as saying that Ford Endeavour is struggling.

I think Fortuner can add to volumes by launching a well priced 2.4 diesel a few months later.
Maruti has various products across segment. That has helped them immensely. Also, thier Trademark VFM Pricing is a big contributer. I bought a Baleno in December 2016. I could have bought any good car, but none of them matched the all roundness at good pricing as the Baleno did. Had the Jazz been a bit cheaper, I would have bought it.

And with New Swift & Dzire, I can see them breaching 1.5 lakh units in coming months.

Coming to Fortuner, It isn't as loaded as Endeavour nor is it as cheap. Only thing the Fortuner does well is the Fuel Efficiency. The main reason why the Fortuner is doing so well despite the Endeavour being more superior product is the Resale of Toyota. The old Fortuner had much better resale compare to Old Endeavour. This thing is a priority to many buyers because of the high investment.

I hope prospective buyers do get a feel & drive the Endeavour before proceeding with Fortuner.
CarguyNish is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 22:16   #34
BHPian

MSIL crosses the psychological 50% mark in market share. wow! This will skew the market further with both MSIL and Hyundai controlling almost 67% of market leaving others to fight for the remaining.
Although, it is good for MSIL but not good for the industry as others also need to have good solid business for them to not only survive but continuously invest in the market and bring more innovative products for the customer.

I wish others now step on the competitive gas and bring India specific good products and gain market share.
Old 8th February 2017, 10:07   #35
BHPian

Quote:
I guess Ciaz's successful run stops with January. With new Honda City launch round the corner, it may settle with 2nd place and 5000 units in February.
Well, I beg to differ in opinion. The City variants are approximately 100K more expensive than their equivalent Ciaz counterparts. Presently, the City appears to be closer to the Ciaz in number of sales. This is primarily because of heavy discounts presently on offer. The new refreshed variant is not expected to come with such discounts outright. So Ciaz will continue its dominant sales unless Maruti creates a blunder per se, by launching the refreshed Ciaz at the prices that are comparable to the City.

This apart, the City has an advantage over the Ciaz when it comes to the choice of a petrol powered vehicle; this equation however gets reversed when the choice shifts to a diesel mill. Thanks to the refinement, efficiency and NVH levels of the "Earth Dreams" i-DTEC. So the Ciaz, with its fanciful SHVS badge, proven mill, and perceived better service backup, would continue to retain the diesel lovers unless the City comes up with a substantially improved diesel mill at a competitive price.

Last edited by King_pin09 : 8th February 2017 at 10:15.
King_pin09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 10:37   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_pin09 View Post
when the choice shifts to a diesel mill. Thanks to the refinement, efficiency and NVH levels of the "Earth Dreams" i-DTEC. So the Ciaz, with its fanciful SHVS badge, proven mill, and perceived better service backup, would continue to retain the diesel lovers unless the City comes up with a substantially improved diesel mill at a competitive price.

Totally agree, being an owner of a ciaz diesel for 16 months and 33000 km now. Anyday I would prefer DDIS over our IDTEC(cousin drives one), solely for NVH.

I am sure Ciaz has been accepted by buyers, but has it attained that desirability status that the name "Honda City" has? May be it will. But yes, competition is good.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 18:14   #37
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
Hi, Adithya.

As always, thank you for the detailed report.

VW is here to stay. The vehicle quality is supreme comparatively.
The JD power results tell a different story though. VW Vento scored poorly in all categories, I guess it was the worst performer. So what buyers experience after owning VW is different from this reputation for "quality" VW pushes to prospective buyers.
Old 8th February 2017, 19:22   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
The JD power results tell a different story though. VW Vento scored poorly in all categories, I guess it was the worst performer. So what buyers experience after owning VW is different from this reputation for "quality" VW pushes to prospective buyers.
Thank you for the information mxh. In my opinion, i would attribute customer satisfaction to after sale experiences. we generalize it to the vehicle. Vento scored the least among the top contenders...correct me if i am wrong. Having said this, it amazes me to see 2 stars for Vento on comfort... to which i beg to differ.

Under vehicle dependability study, Polo tops the list.

reference link:
http://india.jdpower.com/node/7676/?...mium%20Compact
Old 8th February 2017, 19:25   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahnjpr
MSIL crosses the psychological 50% mark in market share. wow! This will skew the market further with both MSIL and Hyundai controlling almost 67% of market leaving others to fight for the remaining.
Although, it is good for MSIL but not good for the industry as others also need to have good solid business for them to not only survive but continuously invest in the market and bring more innovative products for the customer.

I wish others now step on the competitive gas and bring India specific good products and gain market share.
The others have not been fully invested in the market as yet. Ford seems to be doing all the right things by innovating on Finance and putting emphasis on ownership cost /experience. So is Renault. But Maruti plans to buy up real estate to open new showrooms is going to enhance its dominance further.And the partnership with Toyota to share platforms /technology will strengthen both the players in India. Toyota will cut costs substantially if they manage to share parts with Suzuki small cars.
Old 8th February 2017, 23:41   #40
BHPian

I'm so happy to see Tichi doing so well. We bought a petrol Tiago last year for my parents and we are completely in love with car. The VFM it offers is fantastic. Great audio system, excellent interior quality and it's quite spacious too.
Old 9th February 2017, 00:05   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am sure Ciaz has been accepted by buyers, but has it attained that desirability status that the name "Honda City" has?
This desirability was built over three generations, prior to the current one.

Whereas Maruti had lost it with the Baleno and SX4 outings. Both names abandoned for the segment. Now from that stage, they have managed to rise well enough to give the City a run for it's money - in just one generation. Not a bad job at all.

Desirability quotient will go high if that rumoured 1.6 makes it in the Ciaz. If the SCross was a torque monster, this would be even better with the lighter build. Add the new Turbo engine from the Baleno later in the range, and we'll see some good competition to the iVTec as well.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 9th February 2017 at 00:07.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 10:46   #42
BHPian

The Mustang sales are really picking up!
I hope this is taken seriously by other players as well, and they try to launch some of their existing sporty cars in the <1 Cr bracket.
Charger, Camaro and Challenger anyone?
Old 9th February 2017, 11:21   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like Tata is losing whatever share they had in the taxi segment too, seeing the fall in numbers of the Indica, Indigo and group. Good for the image, but bad for revenues since that was a considerable source of income, since they would outsell the newer Zest and Bolt. The Tiago is the only performer now.

The taxi cake is now being eaten by Toyota and Maruti and some crumbs by other manufacturers as well. But this is not long term IMO. This is the phase where the older cabs are being replaced by newer models and the surge in App Taxis which is promoting so much of buying. It should come down in a few months from now since already the taxi aggregators are bringing down earnings for drivers and its no longer lucrative for drivers to attach with Ola, Uber etc. But seeing so many new Dzires and Etios makes me feel that the Dzire/Etios is the new Indigo and the Ritz the newer version of Indica. Thankfully they stopped Ritz and now the small car taxi segment would not see more Marutis(Swift not so good at the backseat and Celerio not available in Diesel).
Old 9th February 2017, 12:02   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Good for the image, but bad for revenues since that was a considerable source of income, since they would outsell the newer Zest and Bolt. The Tiago is the only performer now.
I doubt Tata could command control over pricing in the taxi market and hence won't lose much in profits. Yes, the numbers might dwindle but bottomline shouldn't see a significant hit. Rather Tiago will only raise it further if it keeps performing the same way.
Old 9th February 2017, 13:07   #45

What's going on with Jeep? I saw they had a huge campaign in Mumbai with billboards and ads, but I haven't seen a single Jeep on the road.

Have they started shipments/deliveries? Are CBUs reflected in this data? I'd be very interested in seeing just how badly this vehicle has crashed in India.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks