Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2017, 13:24   #1
Team-BHP Support

January 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

NOTES:

1: Thanks to the team at Auto Punditz for sharing these sales numbers with us!

2: Only cars that sell 500+ units (and thus, the relevant ones) have been included in the gainers & losers chart.

3. These manufacturer-reported sales numbers are factory dispatches to dealerships. They are NOT retail sales figures to end customers.

Last edited by Aditya : 5th February 2017 at 13:41.
Aditya is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 5th February 2017, 13:39   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: January 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Last edited by Aditya : 5th February 2017 at 13:41.
Aditya is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 5th February 2017, 13:52   #3
Team-BHP Support

Aditya is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 5th February 2017, 14:03   #4
Team-BHP Support

Aditya is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 5th February 2017, 14:17   #5
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene.
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2017, 14:40   #6
Senior - BHPian

Looking at the sales figures, just one question popped into my head.

Who is buying Renault Fluence and Nissan Teana? Who, and where, are those factory dispatches going to?

Otherwise, the D segment is totally SUV/MUV dominated. The best an OEM can hope for is 200 sedans per month. Looks like the Jetta has been discontinued - sad.
KiloAlpha is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2017, 14:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

Interesting figures! I'd wait for a couple of months to see how the Ignis fares. Will it affect the sales of the WagonR or the Grand i10?

Tata seems to have finally found a car that has set the charts on fire. But I am curious to know what vehicles does HM Mitsubishi sell?
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2017, 14:55   #8
Senior - BHPian

Nice to see Hexa debut with 1498 units. But considering this is factory dispatch, the big task is to sustain those numbers month on month. Hope it happens.

Ignis has also started well at 4830 units.

Wonder what happened to the Camry for the past few months, it back to 100+ units in Jan. I see quite a few on roads here and there is a good looking car beneath a bit of that Toyota flash.

Wish we can add Lexus to this list. Or will it go the German way of secrecy? Have seen a few doing rounds here.
deetjohn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th February 2017, 15:04   #9
BHPian

Thanks Aditya for the compilation. Few observations from my end.

1. Elantra not able to hold turf. Sales going down month after month. I am not sure if it can hold further once Altis facelift is launched.

2. City sales most probably picking up due to discounts being offered even on Jan Models. It will be interesting to see in coming months how the facelift performs (launch on 14th Feb) compared to Ciaz and whether it regains leadership.

3. Fortuner holding its turf against Ford Endeavour.

Last edited by Simhi : 5th February 2017 at 15:05. Reason: spelling correction
Simhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2017, 15:43   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Aditya for the Jan 2017 sales figures,

Good start for the Indian car industry. Carmakers put demonetization behind them, clock improved sales in January 2017.

Usual trend for this increase (since inventory pile up at dealers) with the only difference, the last two months did see India in the start demonetization phase. It also helps ass vehicle buyers prefer to have a new vehicle registration in the New Year.

Maruti Suzuki India the Auto leader set the year trend for positive growth in most of the segments, taking its market share crossing the 50% mark. Its new car IGNIS gets a good start and will be clear in coming months if it can sustain the leadership in this segment.

Hyundai Motor India, the No. 2 PV manufacturer also shows positive growth though to a lesser degree registering a market share of 15+%.

Honda and Mahinda’s are the only two companies( in the top 10) to show a negative growth.

Luxury Brands have now encountered their worst phase in India. The effects of demonetization seems to have lingered and not a single luxury brand registered growth in Jan '17.

Here are the toppers in their respective segments,
January 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-1.jpg
January 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-2.jpg

Source- Auto Punditz

Last edited by volkman10 : 5th February 2017 at 15:46.
volkman10 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 5th February 2017, 15:53   #11
BHPian

Though GM is going on from an all time low sales figures. But Cruze still bringing in those 171 units, respect to this product still holding its place well in front of many and regularly updated competitors. Had it not been from GM it may have some more nos.

FIAT, seriously don't know what they are upto. Every year they wrap their existing products with some bling and market it like an entirely new product. For how long does the fiat enthusiast will carry the baggage of FIAT's incapability in bringing new cars to India.

Duster and Terrano, i think people get over their stone age interiors. AFAIK, Vitara Brezza has done the most damage to these two. Though how good the ride quality is, while driving one would want to have a nice and comfortable interior for a car which carry such steep price tag.

Ameo seems to have hit the right chord for Volkswagen. Bringing in good nos and clipping some of the wings of Swift Dzire.

TATA now have some consistent performers in its kitty. Fantastico TIAGO , Consistent ZEST and hopefully HEXA will turn out another reliable performer. Wonder what happened to Nano nos. From quite some time i have heard all praises for this car from many of its owner and having it is quite a boon in cities like Bangalore and Mumbai.

Mahindra and Honda seriously needs to go back and think of something new and innovative. Honda big time disappoints me now a days. Don't even love to look at the products they are coming up with(No Offence to anyone). By equipping skinny tires and low build quality, they have take out the sheen and class CITY used to carry. Will prefer old generation ones any day.

Figo twins should have got some good nos, don't know whats wrong with them. One thing i can't understand why do companies opt for feature reduction in products which are already doing well like Ecosport. One should make them more compelling keeping in mind the competitions.

MARUTI, One thing which they are doing out of the box is providing in house customisation offers, which brings up additional revenues for company and dealers. It also gives assurance to the customers that their products will not void any warranty which is one of their major concerns. IGNIS may seems to be overpriced but the kind of customisation options it provides is just exhilarating.
Highh5 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th February 2017, 17:53   #12
Senior - BHPian

Very interesting to read the sales pattern in D1 segment. Almost all of the cars--Octavia, Cruze, Elantra and corolla have identical sales figures. This is one segment where customers seem not to favour Hyundai or Toyota in an one sided way like the typical mass market segments. I think Cruze selling the highest amongst these is due to the heavy discount that's been doled out by Chevrolet. Once the year settles down I think it will be Corolla leading the charts mainly due to its preference from fleet and hotel operators.
motorworks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2017, 18:28   #13
BHPian

Good to see Grand i10 bringing it's A-game to play.Highest figures in the last few months. All Hyundai needs are more models. They have the Maruti trustworthiness now.
Carma2017 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2017, 19:21   #14
AYP
Senior - BHPian

I think VW has more or less achieved its goal with the Ameo. Sales of 2-3k units will keep the folks at VW satisfied. Though with a staunch 1.5 TDI it does deserve to sell more.

Sad to see 0 sales figure of the Jetta. Looks like it has been discontinued(I hope not). I wonder why the Corolla's sales have been sliding for the past few months.

Being a sedan guy, I hope to see the revival of the D segment sedans(especially D1). Maybe the new Civic, if and when launched, can re-ignite this once hot segment.
AYP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2017, 19:41   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Volkswagen -The D1 segment has certainly taken a hit here. Sad but not surprised to see 0 units of the jetta being dispatched and Volkswagen might silently discontinue it as it had stopped importing CKD kits for the Jetta long ago. The Vento has also been losing sales consistently with only the Polo and Ameo contributing to the sales.

Tata-The Tiago continues to soldier on and it is good to see a Tata doing 5000+ units after a looong time. A well deserved success for Tata. Let's hope the Hexa follows in the Tiago's footsteps although only time will tell. Good start for the Hexa at 1400+ units though.

Fiat- This brand has gone from a company popular amongst purists to a me too offering amongst European companies. Someone need to teach fiat a thing or two about product strategy and dealership management. Half hearted efforts like the Aventura and urban cross don't work Fiat.

Maruti- All cars continue doing well for the Indian auto giant. The Ignis has rocketed of to a 4000+ unit start but only time will tell if the high pricing will affect it. The swift brothers and the Alto also seem to be doing well and there is nothing to worry about in general for Maruti Suzuki as of now.

Skoda- The Octavia seems to be doing fairly well for itself especially considering the Jetta's downfall. The Rapid will also end up performing like the Vento especially after the heat surrounding the facelift has died down. Superb records good sales for it's segment.

Toyota- Etios brothers seem to be doing well while the Altis continues its run in the market. The Innova seems to have lost a few sales though. (Fortuner effect?) The Fortuner continues to dominate the segment. Toyota need a C2 segment sedan but looks like even god doesn't know when it will be launched.

Ford-Figo and Aspire seem to bring in good volumes although it is average when compared to the segment best. The Endeavours sales have now settled to 400+ attributing to the Fortuner.

Last edited by vishy76 : 5th February 2017 at 19:58.
vishy76 is online now   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks