Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2017, 17:15   #1
Senior - BHPian

2017 Audi A3 Cabriolet launched at Rs. 47.98 lakh

Audi has launched the 2017 A3 Cabriolet facelift in India at a price of Rs. 47.98 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi). The updated model comes with some cosmetic tweaks and a downsized engine.

The 2017 A3 Cabriolet gets full LED headlights, newly shaped LED DRLs and an updated front bumper with a more pronounced hexagonal grille. The rear gets reprofiled taillights with LED dynamic turn indicators. The convertible features a light-weight soft top roof as standard, while Audi is also offering an acoustic roof with effective noise insulation as an option. The A3 Cabriolet comes with a hydraulic roof folding mechanism that can operate (fold/unfold) even while the car is moving at speeds of up to 50 km/h.

The A3 Cabriolet facelift is equipped with features like dual-zone climate control, leather upholstery, a 7.0-inch MMI infotainment screen and satellite navigation. Customers can also opt for a Bang & Olufsen sound system and a smartphone integration system. Occupant safety is taken care of by the presence of five airbags, ABS, EBD and Audi parking system plus, which comes with front and rear parking sensors and a rear-view camera.

Under the hood, the new A3 Cabriolet comes with a 1.4-litre TFSI engine that replaces the earlier model's 1.8-litre unit. This downsized power plant can develop 148 BHP, which is 29 less than the pre-facelift model. However, torque has been kept constant at 250 Nm. The new engine also comes with Audi's cylinder on demand technology that can temporarily shut down cylinders when the engine is working at partial load. This technology, along with the downsized engine, has resulted in a company-claimed fuel economy of 19.20 km/l.

2017 Audi A3 Cabriolet launched at Rs. 47.98 lakh-unnamed.jpg
Link to Team-BHP News
dZired is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 18:51   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2017 Audi A3 Cabriolet launched at Rs. 47.98 lakh

Wow, 1.4L block with cylinder on demand technology! Maybe they should bump up the price some more, go all the way and offer Flintstone pedals
androdev is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 19:33   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
....go all the way and offer Flintstone pedals
Maybe the B&O audio system goes 'YABA-DABA-DOO' when car switches to Flintstone mode for an authentic experience?

50-odd lakhs for a 'Look Ma, no roof on my head and wind in my hair!' experience, while choking to death on our roads?

You said it right: again!

P.S. This makes the erstwhile atrociously-priced Evo X look VFM in comparison.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 8th February 2017 at 19:35.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 19:47   #4
BHPian

I can't refrain from calling Audi stupid here. It is okay to shut cylinders in engines like V12 or W16. But 1.4L?! This puny engine is already pathetic for 50 lac rupee price sticker and now you would shut down cylinders to make it an auto-rickshaw?!
DevilsCry is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 21:50   #5
ais
BHPian

Cabriolets in India are a silly idea anyway. Since Audi decided to embark on this illogical journey for whatever reason, it's only logical to go right ahead with 'improvements'. What's next?
Old 8th February 2017, 21:59   #6
BHPian

While the price and the engine are definitely concerns, I actually like the idea of a Cabriolet. Our highways are much better nowadays and it would be so much fun to cruise with the top down. And in the city, with the top up, especially the insulated roof, we should be "not choking to death" as dramatically put!
Mad Max is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 22:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

150 HP and close to 50 lacs? This definitely has to be the lowest HP per lac out there!

A CBU Cab at least deserves a decent engine. They should have plonked the 2.0.
reignofchaos is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 23:45   #8
BHPian

This is an excellent example of all show, no go!
The Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI will decimate this car in performance, while still providing most of the creature comforts this car offers at half the price, minus the open top roof.

Absolutely ridiculous on Audi's part.

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 08:24   #9
Senior - BHPian

Audi has this technology available on the A1 and A3 abroad and they probably didn't want their clients who pay 50 lakhs to think that the convertible is getting an inferior motor.

But they are forgetting the fact that these are lifestyle vehicles which wont be used much and Cylinder On Demand isn't going to help much with regard to efficiency, but can be hassle in the long run. And our roads aren't the best suited for cylinder deactivation, that little engine is going to go bonkers.

However, I was fascinated to find cylinder deactivation on a 1.4 and this is what I found. Looks impressive. Just not sold on the right car here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.rac.co.uk/drive/car-reviews/audi/a1/10866/
Basically, the second and third cylinders of this four-pot unit are shifted to a cam profile which doesn't activate the valves under low and intermediate loads and when coasting. This can occur at any point between 1400-4000rpm. Give the throttle or brake a good prod and it reverts to firing on four. It's actually devilishly hard to detect when it's operating because you're normally just tickling along. The central display screen can give you the nod or, if you've got a good ear, you can hear a slight change in engine timbre.
And a video which shows everything in silence.
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 08:42   #10
BHPian

Am I the only one who's not mad that Audi has plonked in a small engine?

When you're cruising with the top down in a car like this, it's not like you'll be going too quickly. Small cabriolets are more about the wind in your hair experience, rather than outright performance. There's a reason why the Mazda MX5 is so popular.

Maybe I'm just getting old, lol.

But yes, that price is just absurd. And cylinder deactivation in a 4cyl engine?
Speed.Demon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 08:52   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
There's a reason why the Mazda MX5 is so popular.
The MX-5 has a 2 liter motor that puts down 160 HP. At the same time it is extremely light. It will probably weigh a third or more less than what this underpowered Audi weighs.
reignofchaos is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 10:09   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
The MX-5 has a 2 liter motor that puts down 160 HP. At the same time it is extremely light. It will probably weigh a third or more less than what this underpowered Audi weighs.
Yes, but the smaller 1.5 is also very popular, especially in Europe.

Anyway, my point is, while it's very annoying to see the 1.4 in a car like the A4, it's not that unforgivable in this. Just my opinion
Old 9th February 2017, 12:16   #13
Mtv
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
Audi has launched the 2017 A3 Cabriolet facelift in India at a price of Rs. 47.98 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi). The updated model comes with some cosmetic tweaks and a downsized engine.

Under the hood, the new A3 Cabriolet comes with a 1.4-litre TFSI engine that replaces the earlier model's 1.8-litre unit. This downsized power plant can develop 148 BHP, which is 29 less than the pre-facelift model.

Link to Team-BHP News
And rightly so.

This drivetrain is highly unreliable and VW probably don't want to admit it. I know this fact better than most

They will harp on the fact of "better mileage" or something else inconsequential on a convertible like this.

Both Audi and Skoda are dropping their 1.8 engines in favour of smaller units , what other reason other than better reliability could it be ?
Mtv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 15:48   #14
BHPian

I don't get how these luxury brands get away with charging mucho dinero for their offerings while treating the indian customer as the red(black?)-headed step child.
Case in point the Audi virtual cockpit is not even offered as an option in the A3 (including the cabriolet). I think its part of a $3000 option pack in the US.
Volvo does the same thing - does not offer its 360 degree camera for the XC 90.

Last edited by nd4$pd : 9th February 2017 at 15:50.
nd4$pd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2017, 00:05   #15
BHPian

I wonder which direction Audi is headed, especially in India. First they changed the nomenclature in really absurd manner, then they launched A4 with puny 1.4 engine and now this topless beauty with an engine to suit a 15 lakh car.
Are they hellbent on turning away car connoisseurs from Audi showrooms?
Acharya is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks