Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2018, 13:47   #211
Distinguished - BHPian
 
lamborghini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 5,381
Thanked: 3,121 Times
Default re: Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Are there more cameras been put on the sea link now? I got clicked from the front this weekend while going from bandra to worli. However, I thought the cameras are only right after you pay the toll on the overhead so that can only click you from the rear. After that there was no other camera until worli seaface.
There are front facing cameras on the Sealink, below the 'No Overtaking' digital sign board.
This is just before the sealink turns and the straight starts.

Not very easy to see, and most people speed off after the first set of cameras (the rear facing ones) which are very prominently displayed making me wonder if they are real.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2018, 15:07   #212
Senior - BHPian
 
blackwasp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 2,822
Thanked: 24,282 Times
Default re: Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Does anyone know what type of speed cameras are used by the Mumbai Police?
I'm guessing neither. I think the camera take 2 pictures e.g. when it sees a front of the vehicle and one after it say, moves 1/2 a car length. The time between these shots is compared and the speed computed.

The cameras also have night vision (IR based) system to catch offenders at night. Since there is no secondary hardware like markings on the road, or other equipment that triggers the camera, I think it is a pure software solution. Also the reason why at some speeds, the camera no longer detects the speed as the car is too fast to for camera to capture the second frame.

This speculation comes as I have worked on ANPR systems as a project and their viability/implementation in India during my college days. Though this was just an amateur effort at best, I was able to decently learn about about this.
blackwasp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2018, 15:57   #213
Team-BHP Support
 
Zappo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 5,886
Thanked: 2,484 Times
Default re: Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Seems like they've got the facts all jumbled up & I wonder whether i should challenge this challan by writing to them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Even if the details are jumbled up, The picture itself would be enough and you'll have to pay the fine sooner or later.

I think there is a good case to challenge them exactly on the same grounds. A camera sitting at a fixed location might keep snapping pics all through the day. However, they can't suddenly pick up an image from their database and then issue a random challan. In this case the time of the day and direction of the travel in the given pic is not matching with the challan detail as you say. You have a case in my opinion.
Zappo is offline  
Old 26th July 2018, 18:04   #214
PPS
Senior - BHPian
 
PPS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: mumbai
Posts: 2,304
Thanked: 3,049 Times
Default re: Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Also the reason why at some speeds, the camera no longer detects the speed as the car is too fast to for camera to capture the second frame.
Camera's seem to capture speeds of 162 km/hr atleast as can be seen in the below pic.

Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide-mtpchc1700956593_01.jpg
PPS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2018, 14:29   #215
PPS
Senior - BHPian
 
PPS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: mumbai
Posts: 2,304
Thanked: 3,049 Times
Default re: Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
I think there is a good case to challenge them exactly on the same grounds.
Tried it, but it didn't work! Following is the reply i received from the Multimedia Cell.

Quote:
Respected Sir,
The challan is issued for violation of speed limit.
The speed detection cameras are capturing images of vehicles along with time, date, location & speed limit e.t.c.
There is an images of your vehicle with the speed of 92 Km/h. which is captured by speed detection camera automatically along with details like speed limit, date & location. So it is an electronic evidence against your vehicle.
As per the evidence your challan is proper & can not be cancelled.
Our equipment were checked by Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI) and found to be correct.
So there is no suspicion on accuracy.
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2018, 18:56   #216
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: delhi
Posts: 147
Thanked: 584 Times
Default re: Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide

This has to be the funniest post I have read all day.

Honda Activa with 635 violations fined Rs 63,500 Ė Police cannot recover full fine via auction

Source



But on a serious note, what are the cops supposed to do in such cases when the amount of fine exceeds the vehicle cost? Can they not fine the person / jail him or her / cancel their DL?

Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide-asdas.jpg  

mayanksabharwal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2018, 23:42   #217
BHPian
 
Shumi_21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 153
Thanked: 765 Times
Default re: Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide

So we Mumbaikars owe the traffic police a staggering 119 crore rupees in fines for traffic violations!!

Source: Mumbai Mirror


Quote:
Since October 2016, when the e-challan process was introduced, traffic managers have issued over 53 lakh e-tickets amounting to Rs 172.44 crore in fines. Of these, fines worth only Rs 53.8 crore have been settled by traffic scofflaws. The data, provided by the police, also revealed that there has been a sharp increase in the number of e-challans issued for infractions such as speeding, stopping ahead of the white line, leaving the vehicle in a no-parking zone, driving in a no-entry lane, jumping the signal, and obstructing the traffic flow. The e-tickets for speeding have soared 10 times, from 42,000 in 2017 to over 5.7 lakh this year. Police officials said the installation of over 40 speed cameras in Mumbai had led to the bump in the number of speeding tickets.

Quote:
But many motorists with pending fines said they had delayed the payment as they had been wrongly ticketed. Several e-challans are in dispute. Some motorists, in fact, were not even present at the spot where the alleged violations were recorded. In some other cases, people have been issued an e-challan for vehicles they donít own. For example, a Mumbaikar now residing in the US has been issued a fine for an auto.
Shumi_21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2018, 18:03   #218
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 60,074
Thanked: 191,980 Times
Default re: Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide

Thanks to Gautam Jain for sending these images in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Quote:
Hey BHPians,

After my recent trip to Lonavla, I was keeping an eye on the Mumbai Police website for any recent challans. But to my surprise, they have removed the option of vehicle number, and now challan can be checked only if one has a challan number (pic attached). Due to this, I checked the same on the MTP App which is supposed to be the official app for Mumbai Traffic Police. Was getting failure messages and all my car details seem to have vanished, adding again shows failure message (pic attached).

I whatsapp'ed the same to MTP, but they decided not to reply (pic attached).

Regards
Gautam Jain
Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide-image1.jpeg

Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide-image2.jpeg

Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide-image3.jpeg
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2018, 19:56   #219
BHPian
 
The Great's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 714
Thanked: 830 Times
Default re: Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks to Gautam Jain for sending these images in.
Yes the vehicle numbers have vanished from my MTP app too.

But I think if there are no challans sent to your mobile via sms, it would be safe to assume that you haven't violated any traffic rules. Even when my vehicles were showing in the app, I had received the sms for violation. Challan Post

Last edited by The Great : 22nd August 2018 at 20:08.
The Great is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2018, 21:18   #220
BHPian
 
genesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 772
Thanked: 326 Times
Default re: Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
Yes the vehicle numbers have vanished from my MTP app too.

But I think if there are no challans sent to your mobile via sms, it would be safe to assume that you haven't violated any traffic rules. Even when my vehicles were showing in the app, I had received the sms for violation. Challan Post
Probably because of all the "politicians" and "eminent personalities" who were revealed with unpaid tickets. This must be their way of ensuring "privacy"
My cell number is not linked with my car. So now there is no way I will ever know....
genesis is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2018, 21:25   #221
PPS
Senior - BHPian
 
PPS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: mumbai
Posts: 2,304
Thanked: 3,049 Times
Default re: Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
Probably because of all the "politicians" and "eminent personalities" who were revealed with unpaid tickets. This must be their way of ensuring "privacy"
That seems to be the case. More so after the Mumbai Mirror report some days back!

https://mumbaimirror.indiatimes.com/...w/65360699.cms
PPS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2018, 09:48   #222
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 60,074
Thanked: 191,980 Times
Default re: Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
But I think if there are no challans sent to your mobile via sms, it would be safe to assume that you haven't violated any traffic rules.
Gautam Jain drops the following reply:
Quote:
I never received any SMS for offences, but do get an SMS after paying the e-challan.

OT:
I have noticed that paying through PayTM is cheaper as we save on transaction charges. Nerdy, but interesting IMHO.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2018, 10:55   #223
BHPian
 
sagpatel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 257
Thanked: 118 Times
Default re: Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide

there is an android app to check challans against your registration number. This app is for mumbai only.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...umbai&hl=en_IN
sagpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2018, 11:01   #224
BHPian
 
The Great's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 714
Thanked: 830 Times
Default re: Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
My cell number is not linked with my car. So now there is no way I will ever know....
That is why get your cell number linked as soon as possible. If not now, then during the sale or passing of the vehicle all the unpaid offences will have to be paid compulsorily.


Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Gautam Jain drops the following reply:
My understanding is because probably he must have not linked his mobile with the vehicle. The payment system has the mobile number linked hence he got the sms only after payment done either via card or Paytm.

Also note that I got a false notification for other car too once via sms. And I messaged them on their email id (multimediacell.traffic@mahapolice.gov.in) for the same. They replied in 3 days to it too. Attaching a screenshot of the SMS and the email.

Name:  IMG_6727.jpg
Views: 2873
Size:  39.7 KB

Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide-screenshot-1.png
The Great is offline  
Old 23rd August 2018, 17:20   #225
BHPian
 
BLACKRiVAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 100
Thanked: 154 Times
Default re: Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide

I bought a used car with fines pending. Surpisingly it got transferred to my name with the fines still unpaid. Now that this facility is not available how do I pay the fines.
BLACKRiVAL is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks