Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2017, 09:58   #31
BHPian

re: Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide

Any such systems here in Bangalore (AFAIK no)?

People here break traffic rules left and right. Signal violation is pretty common, and line violation? what line?

I always stop before a line and multiple times I have been honked from behind to move forward! Had gone into arguments many times with these drivers, and it kind of gets frustrating now.
Avikbrio is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 10:01   #32
Team-BHP Support

re: Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide

Excellent initiative. I had read about in papers and the initial kick off seems decent enough. I believe all the cameras around Bombay are now put to good use. Going further they should be able to leverage technologies used in ANPR and automate the system. But, they'll have to start off with standardizing number plate formats which is pending for a few years atleast.

Secondly, with the current implementation it must be hard to identify license plates for 2 wheelers on the road.

Another security lapse is the public display of personal mobile numbers after entering it for the first time. All you need to do is enter a car's registration number that has paid a fine / registered on the portal and bang, the mobile number pops up!

Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide-violation.jpg
moralfibre is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 11:44   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Excellent initiative. I had read about in papers and the initial kick off seems decent enough. I believe all the cameras around Bombay are now put to good use. Going further they should be able to leverage technologies used in ANPR and automate the system. But, they'll have to start off with standardizing number plate formats which is pending for a few years atleast.

Secondly, with the current implementation it must be hard to identify license plates for 2 wheelers on the road.

Another security lapse is the public display of personal mobile numbers after entering it for the first time. All you need to do is enter a car's registration number that has paid a fine / registered on the portal and bang, the mobile number pops up!

Attachment 1607750
Yes. This is a big lapse. About 6 months ago, before this system went live you could see traffic cops at signals and at petrol stations noting down the vehicle numbers and asking for mobile numbers against each vehicle number. Perhaps, they realized that they do not have enough vehicles in the database for the system to be effective. Even now, although my details are available to the RTO (verified through the Vaahan SMS), this method forces you to associate a mobile number to your vehicle and it's there for everyone to see. Least they could have done is blocked out the middle 6 digits like banks do.

On a side note, a mobile number is becoming more and more of an identity related parameter. The sheer number of places which identify you simply using a mobile is enormous. Imagine losing your phone or even migrating to a new number. Changing residence address seems easier now!
thedragula is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 11:49   #34
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by krackr View Post
Were these No Parking challans supported by evidences?
My brother received a parking challan. It was supported by a photograph; however, the camera was clearly handheld (not mounted on a pole or anything). Apparently, a traffic cop shot pictures of all cars that were wrongly parked.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 11:52   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
My brother received a parking challan. It was supported by a photograph; however, the camera was clearly handheld (not mounted on a pole or anything). Apparently, a traffic cop shot pictures of all cars that were wrongly parked.

Lots of cops are doing this now. I noticed the same in Hill Road in Bandra where the cop was just taking photos of the illegally parked cars.
pande_monium76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 12:40   #36
BHPian

Had some doubts about the e-challan system since quite some time and as soon as I saw a thread on it, I decided to log in and have a look. Then I decided to check the Mumbai Traffic Police website to see if I would have any pending violations since I did not get any text message notification about this.
And to my surprise, there is an offence recorded of over speeding for my car

Sharing this with my fellow bhpians because it seems that nobody else has shared this yet (or I guess my car is first for that ). Have a look at the fine amount and the details that are captured.

Have blurred out parts of the challan number and the vehicle registration number.

Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide-over-speeding-fine-bwsl-audi-a4.png

Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide-over-speeding-fine-bwsl-audi-a4-2.png
Image of the car even at triple digit speeds is clear enough for the number plates and even the t-shirt of the driver is visible.

Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide-over-speeding-fine-bwsl-audi-a4-3.png
The location, travelling towards direction, along with the lane on which the car was is mentioned. The date and the time of the offence and the speed limit on the road and what speed the car was doing is mentioned too.

Turned out that the driver was indeed overspending that day during the daily commute, gave a stern warning and even showed him the e-challan.

Though I am impressed and happy that systems like these are in place and fines are being charged, but how will people get to know if they have any offence recorded or not if they are not getting notified?
Also, what if I did not pay and just let it be pending?

Luckily I was not charged any extra amount for an offence which was committed close to 2 months back.

Last edited by Luv_Jaiswal : 13th February 2017 at 12:44.
Luv_Jaiswal is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 13:21   #37
BHPian

So this is what showed up when I looked up the site against one of my cars.

No mention of the offence and no evidence. I was not driving the car on that day and even my wife is unlikely to have been in that area (even if she was driving). My driver was on leave during this period.

Since the DL number is mentioned, I presume this is against a ticket issued by a standing cop. Now the thing is that the DL also does not match with either my wife's or mine. So the only conclusion I can come to is that the cop or the driver of some other car has given my car's registration number in the challan issued.

While the amount is small and I can just choose to pay and move on, I was wondering if there is any way to register a complaint or objection online. At the very least, it will ensure that there is no misuse of registration plates. Seems to be ver2 of Rehaan's case above, where they have done away with the evidence and violation part.
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide-challan.jpg  

reverse_gear is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 14:01   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I believe people using the app developed by Mumbai Traffic Police can also report violations. Refer: link

Quote:
In this feature you can provide us about the traffic related violations occurred on the road and with reference to reported violation we will provide you an ID and you can take feedback/ follow with the help of reported ID.
moralfibre is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 14:44   #39
BHPian

Although this is a good initiative by the Mumbai Police but there are so many loop holes as pointed by Rehan and other bhpians. One drawback I can think of is people reluctant to jump the signal and clear the lane for the ambulance.
Just my two cents.
Akib Khan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 15:46   #40
Senior - BHPian

Review: Mumbai Police's Online System for Traffic Violations (eChallans)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krackr View Post
Were these No Parking challans supported by evidences?

No, but the white line halting did gave photos. But friend got a parking challan with pics. As mentioned by others, most likely it was taken using a handheld device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subhro1988 View Post

Now coming to the offence. I stood ahead of the white line. But where is the white line?

Usually the first signal is considered to be the white line. In many places, the median extends further ahead than this point.

Last edited by blackwasp : 13th February 2017 at 15:52.
blackwasp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 16:22   #41
Senior - BHPian

How do you delink your mobile number from the car registration at a later point when you sell the car ?
Mortis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 17:30   #42
BHPian

Okay. So I get a message on Thursday afternoon from the MTP saying I have jumped a signal on my motorcycle and I am fined Rs. 200/- which has to be paid.

I honestly do not remember when I jumped a red light, because my daily commute for the last 5 years from Vile Parle to Worli has 16 red lights and I make sure I follow them all, including the infamous Mahim Dargah pedestrian crossing.

Now, I am very anxious to see the where I broke the law, so I went on the MTP website to see and pay the fine.

OTP received, I enter the Challan and I realize that there are no evidence pictures. But there are location co-ordinates. So i quickly google them to find out exactly where. Turns out the location co-ordinates show Nana Chowk, Grant Road, Mumbai!!
I haven't been there, definitely not been there on Thursday.
So I call the helpline no. 8454999999 and speak to the lady and explain to her my situation.

She politely asks me to send an email to 'mtpcallinfo@gmail.com' .
I have sent an email to the email and I am expecting to have the issue resolved soon.

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th February 2017 at 12:12. Reason: Just making the contact details bold in case it helps others :)
dhawalmakwana99 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 18:27   #43
BHPian

Interesting!!!

This website seem have been developed by some amateur developer.

I observed the following ...

1. I can enter any Vehicle No.. There is no validation. I can even enter any other state's vehicle no. It doesn't even check if I have entered in the correct format. For e.g. I can enter MH99 XX 9999 or mh99xx 9999 or mh99xx9999. All are accepted.
2. After that you get a popup showing the mobile number of the mentioned vehicle. Surprisingly we can change that number. So technically I can change any vehicle's mobile number to mine, get OTP and see the Vehicle details.

Now, when I tried my vehicle number on the website, I found some other mobile number against my vehicle. I called that number but there was no answer. Anyway, I changed to my number (beats me why that option is even given), received the OTP and was surprised to see an offence registered against my vehicle. Like some others on this thread, there is no mention of offence committed. Location is nothing but coordinates. From Google maps, it is somewhere near CST station. On the Offence Date mentioned, I was in my office many kms away from that location. There is no evidence attached. And the license number is definitely not mine.

Who the heck developed this?

Mumbai Police's eChallans System for Traffic Violations. EDIT: Now Maharashtra-wide-challan.jpg
sukhoi30 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 18:29   #44
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhawalmakwana99 View Post

She politely asks me to send an email to 'mtpcallinfo@gmail.com' .
I have sent an email to the email and I am expecting to have the issue resolved soon.
I find it quite surprising that the Police is using a gmail ID for official communications. From the experiences above it seems like there's quite some work to be done and the system isn't accurate enough. Hope they iron out the issues soon.
mxh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2017, 10:38   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
I find it quite surprising that the Police is using a gmail ID for official communications. From the experiences above it seems like there's quite some work to be done and the system isn't accurate enough. Hope they iron out the issues soon.
It may possibly be a purchased version of gmail, many small businesses are using it today as it saves cost
macbeth is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed